ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #4

Moorhead Police: Tom Bearson Homicide Case Remains Active

Today marks three years since NDSU student Tom Bearson went missing after leaving a party south of campus.

Although three years have passed, the Moorhead Police Department said the investigation is active.

“By sorting through many theories, they’ve been able to get closer into the ideas of what’s fact and what isn’t in this investigation,” said Lt. Tory Jacobson of the Moorhead Police Department. “We’re hopeful that we’ll ultimately have the answers that we’re looking for, but we’re unable to put a timetable on it.”

Investigators still searching for answers in three-year Bearson case

The only theory ever made sense to me was that something went down with his so called "friends" that night that resulted in his death, then had family/friends help cover up crime.
I haven't been on thread in a long time. I'm going to refresh myself. Always had a Lauren Spierer vibe with this.

(Also, not relevant in any way, but this case was the first I ever heard of a "Trap" house. Before it became famous in hip hop mainstream music)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

YAY! I finally found this case again! Been wondering if an arrest was made yet!

Around a thousand people turned the stands into a sea of green at Sartell high school's basketball game Thursday. The green was worn for the 3rd annual Tommy B "Hoopin' in Heaven" night honoring Tom Bearson and the Tom Bearson Foundation.Bearson was murdered over three years ago, a few miles from the North Dakota State University campus. The case to this point has gone unsolved.

http://wjon.com/sartell-community-continues-to-honor-tom-bearson/

I still can't get his eyes out of my mind ! All this time later, when I see really powerful blue eyes on a dude...I think of Tommy's. They just are the same though. What a tragedy to lose such a young soul.

John Lordan covered this case on a very well-researched and detailed episode of BrainScratch, on his YouTube channel.

As the episode was released on February 2019, it did not include the cause of death, released later in September, but it's still an excellent resource.

So now, according to the article cited above, we may describe the cause of death as "homicidal violence directly resulting from asphyxia, or oxygen deprivation, with the exclusion of suicide, accident, natural causes, and overdose."

In addition, two sedatives were found in his system, but officials did not comment whether Tom took them intentionally or not.

Personally, I feel like he was drugged. He was already drinking alcohol, which is a depressant. I think adding two sedatives would just make him pass out, not help him party more—although I guess he could've been drunk enough at a certain point to accept the sedatives willingly.

He was then either strangled by hand or ligature, or suffocated with a pillow or plastic bag. I think "violence" is the keyword in the initial report, which to me suggests a struggle, perhaps because Tom hadn't fully passed out and was fighting back.

John Lordan covered this case on a very well-researched and detailed episode of BrainScratch, on his YouTube channel.

As the episode was released on February 2019, it did not include the cause of death, released later in September, but it's still an excellent resource.

So now, according to the article cited above, we may describe the cause of death as "homicidal violence directly resulting from asphyxia, or oxygen deprivation, with the exclusion of suicide, accident, natural causes, and overdose."

In addition, two sedatives were found in his system, but officials did not comment whether Tom took them intentionally or not.

Personally, I feel like he was drugged. He was already drinking alcohol, which is a depressant. I think adding two sedatives would just make him pass out, not help him party more—although I guess he could've been drunk enough at a certain point to accept the sedatives willingly.

He was then either strangled by hand or ligature, or suffocated with a pillow or plastic bag. I think "violence" is the keyword in the initial report, which to me suggests a struggle, perhaps because Tom hadn't fully passed out and was fighting back.
What did Tom do for someone to want him dead? Being that none of those that were with him are talking, will we ever get the truth in this case? Will Tom & his family ever get justice for his death? It just seems too easy to get away with murder. Refuse to talk & you're all good?

It's been years since I looked at this case, and still no arrests. I do see that COD has now been made public.
Can anyone in here remind me of the timeline as far as when his parents first tried reaching him, and then travelled to NDSU? Also if anyone knows when he had been expected to be leaving to travel back home and with whom?

I don't remember the exact timeline, but if I recall correctly, Tom was supposed to be going home the day following the night of his disappearance. Without going back and reviewing the case from the start I wouldn't feel comfortable with making any suppositions as to the time of day he was supposed to arrive at home, who he was supposed to ride with, or when his parents realized he was actually missing. What I do know is that it's been too long to have his case unsolved & worse for his parents that his "friends" refuse to even talk with law enforcement. It would be interesting to know how his friends lives have been progressing since his murder. If one or more haven't been doing so well since then.

Tom Bearson's father on coping with son's death (sctimes.com)

It seems there is some new information that we did not have several years ago. One is that Tom died from homicidal asphyxia, and he had been consuming alcohol but it did not cause his death. He also had two prescription medications in his system, but he did not overdose. Also I always thought that the alarm of Tom missing began with him not catching a ride home with friends at noon on Saturday. He was reported as missing on Saturday at 5:30 pm. He was reportedly last seen Saturday at 3:40 am leaving a house party that was 6 blocks from his dorm. From the above video and article link below it, it is said that actually his parents became concerned "very early on" and actually drove to Fargo in the middle of the night "not getting a wink of sleep" and proceeded to search for him over 3 days time because he wasn't answering calls or texts from them on Friday night and into Saturday early hours, and they were contacting his room-mate and friends.

"They left him countless messages all sent to voicemail. They contacted his friends. And they drove from their Sartell home to Fargo, North Dakota, his college town, in the middle of the night, neither one getting a wink of sleep.
Greg recalls pulling back the blinds of the hotel room the next morning and seeing bright sunny skies, hoping it was a good sign. About five minutes later, he watched dark clouds roll in over it."

His father speaks of searching alone for Tom some, even looking in ditches. We know Tom snapchatted with PF @ approx 1:20 am., and was said to be in a good mood and having fun. Tom had shared with his room-mate (after getting the DUI and getting quite intoxicated several times) that he needed to quit doing so because for one reason that he was paying for college himself.
We now know that Tom did have alcohol in his system at death, but it was not the COD.
Did Tom take his backpack because he initially planned to be going home? He tweeted "Never thought I'd be bored on a Friday night". It was Homecoming weekend.
His father spoke of being fully aware that Tom had been drinking, but that "he had pledged to do better" just the previous weekend when he had gone home. He apparently had not YET missed his ride to Sartell when his parents became concerned, it was that he was not answering his phone or responding to texts much earlier, he was again consuming alcohol, and partying. Quite common for many new college students, fresh away from home, living somewhat on their own for the first time.
Why is a reward or a private investigator not being considered?

There is a podcast called "Who killed Tommy" on Spotify and there is an interesting episode where a forensic investigator (not tied to the case) discusses Tom's COD, and touches on profiling with causes of death.

Is anyone still in here having thoughts on this case like I still am? This seems as if it should be solvable. I hope it is. Justice For Tommy

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back