NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father) #2

I don't find anything about the final results on the bone testing. As for Terry Lake, I don't know.
It would be good to know the answers to both. I speculate, like many males, he ended up in water. I think Terry Lake should be ruled out. With that hefty reward, you'd think there would still be active searches?

Amateur opinion and speculation

I also think that the most likely scenario is that Chance ended up in the water (lake or river). Terry Lake should be pretty easy to search but I just don't know if it was.
Wouldn't his body have to be weighed down to have remained below the service these past couple of years. If he had just fallen in he would have been seen on the surface a couple of days later, especially in Terry Lake. MOO MOO MOO

Wouldn't his body have to be weighed down to have remained below the service these past couple of years. If he had just fallen in he would have been seen on the surface a couple of days later, especially in Terry Lake. MOO MOO MOO
Weighed down or caught under something. I thought it was possible that if he went into the North Platte river, his body could have gotten caught under some debris, log, fallen tree, etc and remains there. I'm not sure about the lake. The lake is very small, so I would have thought that a boat with a cadaver dog could have detected a body if he was in there, but I don't know if they did that.

I also think that the most likely scenario is that Chance ended up in the water (lake or river). Terry Lake should be pretty easy to search but I just don't know if it was.
There was a SAR team who searched around the lake back in the beginning, but AFAIK the sonar search by Adventures with a Purpose was never done - it was postponed/canceled pending the results of the arm bone IIRC. MOO

Rereading what we know of Chance’s disappearance, if I had the say, here is what I would do/redo.

Engage Adventures with Purpose to sonar Terry Lake. They are miracle workers, despite various controversies.

Engage FBI poly experts to poly/re-poly those who saw Chance shortly before he vanished.

From there, I believe there would be greater clarity. If forced to choose one theory, I would say there is a high probability he is in Terry Lake.

Yes, AWP is fantastic and has done great things… only problem with this particular instance is that we have no idea if he is in a vehicle… they’ve stated that they do cases involving vehicles due to the fact that sonar works best with things like that and finding remains specifically is very very difficult (especially after time has passed) outside of a vehicle/boat/etc... Not impossible but definitely very difficult.

P.S. I had the same thought as you and contacted them about this case quite a while back :)

Yes, AWP is fantastic and has done great things… only problem with this particular instance is that we have no idea if he is in a vehicle… they’ve stated that they do cases involving vehicles due to the fact that sonar works best with things like that and finding remains specifically is very very difficult (especially after time has passed) outside of a vehicle/boat/etc... Not impossible but definitely very difficult.

P.S. I had the same thought as you and contacted them about this case quite a while back :)
Another thought is to try to tap in to networks of retired navy divers. Those guys/gals are nuts in a good way. Many of them volunteer for search and recovery and have special skills. Salvage divers is another good route.

I think a better and easier solution would be to just drain Terry Lake. It isn't very big.

I think a better and easier solution would be to just drain Terry Lake. It isn't very big.
Given that is his last known location before he vanished, your suggestion makes good sense to me. Not sure the LOE required or expense which may have prohibited this from happening already?

*This is the only thread that mentions this gentleman so I’m posting in case wonders about him. This is prob in the unidentified somewhere but I can’t find it:

Family members of Walter Eugene Patterson-Black reported him missing on May 15, 2016. He was last seen days before at a local convenience store and officers found his vehicle on May 17 at the YMCA parking lot.
*edit: I think I found it

A good recap worth the reread.

NOV 3, 2023
NBC News - 10 YEARS OF MISSING IN AMERICA
[...]

... Gering Police Department investigator Brian Eades told Dateline in 2023 that, although the department has not made any major breakthroughs in 2023, the case is still active and ongoing. He also noted that the department continues to receive and follow up on tips. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Gering Police Department at (308) 436-5089. They may also contact the Scottsbluff Police Department at (308) 630-6261.

I don't check often any longer about Chance, but I still hope his family and friends will someday learn the truth about what happened. I have family that live close, and they haven't heard anything new. I always hope that some information will surface to give his mom and family the answers they deserve.

No word/information on the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee seen on the ring doorbell CCTV? Last person to see CE and nothing from that? Is it possible that CE walked further than what is believed to be? That he may have followed the RR tracks further west? There seem to be four routes possibly taken after his direction west from the last CCTV/ring. At the fourway, at the end of that road, in the direction he was traveling; he could have headed back south making a large square. He could have gone north but would have been seen on CCTV at the very large gas station just over the bridge. Or continue traveling west onto the dirt/ low maintenance road following parallel to the river. However, he would have also seen RR tracks from the overpass RR bridge at the fourway, at the end of the road, when determining what direction to go at the fourway. I dont believe him to have gone back, north, or south. He either continued West or there is something to be said further about the Jeep Grand Cherokee. IMO

Usually, I am able to land on, and form a strong, singular speculation on a case. Not so with Chance. Logically, it would seem as if a fellow who had been drinking got riled up and walked off to seek a ride back home and met with misadventure. However, his BF M says it couldn't have happened; Chance was an experienced outdoorsman; the storm wouldn't have been enough to cause him injury or death. Of course, there was always the possibility he was upset enough to take his own life. I don't rank that high on the probability list either; he was determined to get home and had made calls asking for assistance.

But why then, was the wife so convinced C was dead to the point of even trying to file an insurance claim?

I have an alternative theory that is illogical, and improbable. That said, it has remained persistent in my speculations. In my amateur opinion and speculation only, the wife might have dropped a bomb, something material, that changed the course of the marriage. In this speculation, C storms off angry, trys to get a ride, fails and becomes despondent. *OR*, after shocking news and failed attempts for support from friends to pick him up, C just quietly decides to disappear in to the sunset and go start a new life without the people who have let him down. Probable? No. Possible? Yes.

I don't find anything about the final results on the bone testing. As for Terry Lake, I don't know.
The arm bone found belonged to an older gentleman who had been missing from the area for awhile. They recently held service for him.

As for Terry Lake there is so many different talks of people wanting to search it, however to my knowledge no it has not been

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back