NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I am shocked that she would ask for a death certificate so soon. I had same thought as someone upthread, that possibly someone told her to ask for it. But here is my thing....Why would anyone think that a death certificate would be that easy to get in a case like this and why would anyone think that LE would issue that? That is not how it works even in a case where a body is located. None of that makes sense to me.

Right, and there's no reason to assume he's dead - which is the only reason to ask for a death certificate.

Accessing certain benefits, like death benefits for the baby would makes sense and I am sure finances are a concern for a 20 year old new mom with no spousal support. I do feel it was a a bit early to make this request without further evidence. Is a familial DNA test required to prove the child is Chance’s biological child in a case like this prior to being able to obtain death benefits?
MOO

Assessing death benefits before you know that someone is dead is really strange to me.

If he is the father of record on the birth certificate I don't see a DNA test being necessary.

Accessing certain benefits, like death benefits for the baby would makes sense and I am sure finances are a concern for a 20 year old new mom with no spousal support. I do feel it was a a bit early to make this request without further evidence. Is a familial DNA test required to prove the child is Chance’s biological child in a case like this prior to being able to obtain death benefits?
MOO
No, that would not be required because they were married at the time of birth. But you will not get death certificate until he is found or until sometime has past. That may vary by state. I don't know.

Remember she said she went looking for him. We have only her word that she didn't find him. I'm not saying she did or didn't. But she as the last person to see him and being his spouse would be the first person they should look at and rule out. The way it sounds LE is not or cannot handle the case. If she has family on the local police dept they won't look too hard. Moo

Fresh Search for Missing Man Chance Englebert Begins Today
It sounds like his friend Matt is going ahead full speed to revitalize the search for Chance.
I'm so glad to hear this. Matt also started a Facebook Group.

From the article:

On October 26th, Miller created the Facebook Group ‘Let’s start with Chance’, and spearheaded this most recent search effort to locate Englebert.

“I felt like we needed to look for Chance a little bit harder,” Miller told KNEB News. “And I didn’t feel like anybody else would do the job like I could, so I’m going to try it myself.”

Matt Miller (right) talks with a volunteer during Sunday search meeting

On Sunday morning, more than two dozen volunteers convened at the Historic Saddle Club in Scottsbluff, and Miller explained today’s game plan.

“Today we’re going to be searching an area by the (WTT) truck stop and we have a guy with a drone. He’s going to really help us out. We’re going to search the river bottom and see what we find,” explains Miller. “We’re just kind of shooting from the hip right now. We’re getting permission from landowners, so if you know any- get in contact with us- we need their phone numbers and permission to get on them.”

[...]

“We’re not going to stop. I finally got my job back at the mine, so I have seven (days) off, rotating every month. I’ll be up here until it’s done.”

He says anybody wanting to help in the search is encouraged to do so by joining the Facebook group. From there, he can better coordinate when and where people are needed.

[...]

Article from yesterday says the friend, Matt Miller, is leading a search.
Search continues for Englebert, donations welcome

I find it very annoying that local news has stopped reporting on this case.

And this is my opinion only, but I archived another Gehring case (Juliette Guerts) where prosecutors, police did nothing until her aunt got media attention including Inside Edition to cover the case. Anyways, my opinion of them is low. They have not even interviewed or returned calls from the golf course employees who witnessed the fight.
I agree they dropped the ball with the case in how it was initially handled, just like with Juliette’s case. They didn’t treat it like a murder and secure the scene for a week or so when they received the autopsy and realized she had been murdered.
Gering police should have treated Chance’s case seriously and started searching from day one, rather than waiting two days. When they did start searching it was all hands on deck and did a pretty extensive search and have done several follow up searches too, but the dropped the ball with the delay in the beginning.

Well, that certainly changes where he was walking. What about the flooding? Is that true, or does that change now, because he wasn't near a flooded area?
I think flossing is still very relevant. His call when he said he was walking in a ditch towards Torrington was when he very first left his wife’s grandparents house. So it’s not really relevant to where he was at when he went missing. However Terrytown does have a canal, Owl road, where the dog tracked his scent was near a canal and the river. The flash flood could definitely be related to him being missing. another man who is missing in the area had commented to family members that he planned on going into the river, his vehicle was found parked near the river, but he has never been found.

I don't want to sound like a pain in the *advertiser censored* but did someone tell her that was the most ignorant request she could make?
It is in very poor taste to say the least, and I'm sure traumatizing to his already traumatized parents. Not cool. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and say she wasn't thinking clearly, given all the distress she has been under.

Amateur opinion and speculation

My understanding is the request for the death certificate was out of anger and frustration. I wasn’t there though so can’t say for sure with way.

Your husband and the father of your newborn baby goes missing, on the same day he's had a pretty bad argument with your father. Whatever you & your own family are feeling, your husband's friends and family are very distraught. You (theoretically) have no idea where your husband is or what might have happened to him, but you know he adores his baby boy and he would never miss a day of work.

A death certificate is a piece of paper that would have your husband's name on it and it would say, with finality, that your husband is dead.

Anger and frustration seem odd enough emotional responses in that situation, imo. But even those supposed & odd feelings in the first week of his going missing are less.....curious? than requesting official proof her husband and the father of her baby was dead that early on.

Your husband and the father of your newborn baby goes missing, on the same day he's had a pretty bad argument with your father. Whatever you & your own family are feeling, your husband's friends and family are very distraught. You (theoretically) have no idea where your husband is or what might have happened to him, but you know he adores his baby boy and he would never miss a day of work.

A death certificate is a piece of paper that would have your husband's name on it and it would say, with finality, that your husband is dead.

Anger and frustration seem odd enough emotional responses in that situation, imo. But even those supposed & odd feelings in the first week of his going missing are less.....curious? than requesting official proof her husband and the father of her baby was dead that early on.
It certainly does seem she knew something that hasn’t been disclosed to the public. Time will tell.

Something smells...

amateur opinion and speculation

Brand new to this mystery. I've just read the whole thread here, online articles, and have watched the 2 part (well done) interview of Chance's friend Matt.

Whatever did or didn't happen the day Chance vanished, it sure sounds like major conflict might have been hardwired into his recent enough marriage.

Surface impressions of family can be wildly misleading or inaccurate, but it seems, anyway, that Chance was close to his family? Close enough to return home pretty frequently, anyway.

So how would he feel when his fiance tells him she doesn't want his family at their wedding? (Why would she ask that of him, anyway? I genuinely can't imagine very many situations in which that would be remotely appropriate).

And it seems like her own family disapproved of him? For whatever reason(s)?

If accurate, all that would have been a pretty significant burden for a young couple to bear early in their marriage, especially with all the other pressures they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle