NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly a possibility.
However, I would like to know what the friends he called to come pick him up have to say.
Depending on their response(s) we'd have a much better guess as to whether CE is alive or dead.

Reading through facebook posts, I found one that matches the info. Chance called a friend who did not pick him up, and of course now wishes he did.
It says: Praying for you. **** wishes everday that he would have told chance he would come pick him up when he talked to him as he was walking down the street.
I know his friends miss him terribly. Hugs.

Reading through facebook posts, I found one that matches the info. Chance called a friend who did not pick him up, and of course now wishes he did.
It says: Praying for you. **** wishes everday that he would have told chance he would come pick him up when he talked to him as he was walking down the street.
I know his friends miss him terribly. Hugs.

Thank you so much for finding this information.
I must have missed it.

The following is from CE's Missing Information:

"Last Phone Location was in the vicinity of WTT Truck Stop around 10 pm.
Please contact the Scottsbluff Police Dept. 308-630-6261 or Gering Police Dept. 308-436-5088"

I kind of thought that too. His friends were in Torrington (which is just inside Wyoming) or he was telling his friends to meet him in Torrington. Maybe he was going to try to hitch a ride there or something. I just get the feeling that there are plenty of people involved here that are not exactly telling everything they know.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. A lot of stuff doesn’t add up. I’ve been following since the beginning and maybe I’m the only one that feels this way. But the interview with the family was a little weird. I think I’d be as hysterical as the mother if it was my husband or pretty upset. And I agree he was wanting to get out of that town. She quotes he was golfing with “the boys” but later in another thread the people he was golfing with was father in law and brother in law. Makes you wonder if something was said during the golfing and when they went back to the house it was the reason he wanted to go home. Something intervened him taking off. I couldn’t see why he would just take off and not at least inform his mom he was safe by now. I could see him getting hurt someway in the storm or walking in the ditch but to think he caught a ride with a stranger and that one stranger decided to take his life and dump him somewhere is really weird to me. If it was a bigger city then I could see it. But it’s not that big of town where people take someone’s life just to take it...

Last edited:
I’m glad I’m not the only one. A lot of stuff doesn’t add up. I’ve been following since the beginning and maybe I’m the only one that feels this way. But the interview with the family was a little weird. I think I’d be as hysterical as the mother if it was my husband or pretty upset. And I agree he was wanting to get out of that town. She quotes he was golfing with “the boys” but later in another thread the people he was golfing with was father in law and brother in law. Makes you wonder if something was said during the golfing and when they went back to the house it was the reason he wanted to go home. Something intervened him taking off. I couldn’t see why he would just take off and not at least inform his mom he was safe by now. I could see him getting hurt someway in the storm or walking in the ditch but to think he caught a ride with a stranger and that one stranger decided to take his life and dump him somewhere is really weird to me. If it was a bigger city then I could see it. But it’s not that big of town where people take someone’s life just to take it...
I wonder if the conversations (argument with FIL and BIL) centered around their perception of how he was behaving and supporting his wife with a new baby. He had just lost one job and was to start another. Perhaps they felt he wasn't doing enough to support his new family in the manner they thought he should.
In-laws can be incredibly interfering at times and judgemental.
I pray he is in a safe, quiet place with good advice from close friends about how to get in life back on track with his new family.

" (Gering, NE Police investigator) West clarified reports about the last known activity from Englebert’s cell phone.
Initial reports were that cell phone data shows his phone as last being in the vicinity of Owl Road, south of Western Travel Terminal.
However, he said the data comes from an arc that is a couple of miles long, covering an area encompassing Scotts Bluff National Monument property in Gering to West 25th Street in Scottsbluff."
Police continue to follow tips as Wyoming man Chance Englebert remains missing

So the last time CE's phone 'pinged' was at 10pm in the above mentioned area.
If a phone no longer 'pings' I assume that it has been powered down manually and /or had its battery removed.

It was reported that the storm came through the area at ~9:00 - 9:15pm.
CE's phone last 'pinged' at 10:00pm in "an area encompassing Scotts Bluff National Monument property in Gering to West 25th Street in Scottsbluff."
We don't know who powered down CE's phone to stop it from 'pinging' again after that.
We don't know if CE met with foul play or if he decided to voluntarily leave the area.

Is this truck a busy interstate truck stop? Could he have just hopped on an interstate truck and left the state altogether?
The interstate doesn't go through Scottsbluff. I-80 is about an hour south of there. The truck stop is busy, but not interstate-busy. By 10 pm it would not have been terribly busy. The likelihood of him having met foul play at the hands of a stranger is extremely low in this area.

The family doesn't seem to have been very forthcoming early on about the circumstances of him walking out. At first they said he just went for a walk, then later it came out that there had been an argument. I don't think they are responsible for his disappearance in any way, but I also don't think that they are giving LE a full picture.

The interstate doesn't go through Scottsbluff. I-80 is about an hour south of there. The truck stop is busy, but not interstate-busy. By 10 pm it would not have been terribly busy. The likelihood of him having met foul play at the hands of a stranger is extremely low in this area.
I wasn't thinking of someone doing him harm as much as perhaps he asked for a ride like hitchhiking, to somewhere else. But, doesn't sound likely since it is so far away from I-80.

I wasn't thinking of someone doing him harm as much as perhaps he asked for a ride like hitchhiking, to somewhere else. But, doesn't sound likely since it is so far away from I-80.
You certainly don't have to be on the interstate to hitch a ride. But I think that if he had hitched, someone would have reported it by now.

Updated

Saturday, July 6

7:30 p.m. - CE left residence in the 700 block of O Street
7:49 p.m. - Seen walking past Domino’s Pizza in Gering heading toward Scottsbluff
7:51 p.m. - Last seen on video at the intersection of 10th Street and Martha Drive
8:45 p.m. - Last time friends or family members spoke to him. It was possibly at this time that CE told friends he was walking in a ditch toward Torrington and asked them to come pick him up.
9-9:15 p.m. - Significant thunderstorm struck
9-10:00 p.m. –Seen near Terrytown standing under a tree during the storm
10:00 p.m. - Phone pinged in the vicinity of Owl Road, south of the Western Travel Terminal convenience store. The data comes from an arc that is a couple of miles long, covering an area encompassing Scotts Bluff National Monument property in Gering to West 25th Street in Scottsbluff.

I wonder if the conversations (argument with FIL and BIL) centered around their perception of how he was behaving and supporting his wife with a new baby. He had just lost one job and was to start another. Perhaps they felt he wasn't doing enough to support his new family in the manner they thought he should.
In-laws can be incredibly interfering at times and judgemental.
I pray he is in a safe, quiet place with good advice from close friends about how to get in life back on track with his new family.

That’s what I’m wondering also. I hate to believe they had anything to do with his disappearance but why keep things held back and then later come out? I could see worrying it would turn on those people but same time the truth always comes out.
It isn’t the best of truck stops. But I believe with my knowledge (husband is a trucker) it’s one of the more popular ones as it has a truck wash behind it. Though they said pings can come from two miles away and the cameras didn’t show him on it. But maybe look into who pulled in and out of that truck stop vehicle wise at that time?
All in all like you said, I pray he is somewhere safe. My heart breaks for his mother and newborn.

Updated

Saturday, July 6

7:30 p.m. - CE left residence in the 700 block of O Street
7:49 p.m. - Seen walking past Domino’s Pizza in Gering heading toward Scottsbluff
7:51 p.m. - Last seen on video at the intersection of 10th Street and Martha Drive
8:45 p.m. - Last time friends or family members spoke to him. It was possibly at this time that CE told friends he was walking in a ditch toward Torrington and asked them to come pick him up.
9-9:15 p.m. - Significant thunderstorm struck
9-10:00 p.m. –Seen near Terrytown standing under a tree during the storm
10:00 p.m. - Phone pinged in the vicinity of Owl Road, south of the Western Travel Terminal convenience store. The data comes from an arc that is a couple of miles long, covering an area encompassing Scotts Bluff National Monument property in Gering to West 25th Street in Scottsbluff.

RE: The ~8:45pm phone call(s).
He may or may not have asked someone to come and pick him up.
'AmandaReconwith' reported a FB post where a friend reported that they regretted not picking him up when he was walking.
We're not sure what, if anything, CE told the person(s) he called about his immediate plans.

RE: The ~8:45pm phone call(s).
He may or may not have asked someone to come and pick him up.
'AmandaReconwith' reported a FB post where a friend reported that they regretted not picking him up when he was walking.
We're not sure what, if anything, CE told the person(s) he called about his immediate plans.
I'm using the information given by Gering PD Officer Shawn West as reported here: Man reported missing in Nebraska may be in Wyoming - Casper, WY Oil City News

ETA: If you click on the links in the timeline, you'll find the source of the information there.

This case has not been picked up by national news, just locally and now that has dropped tremendously. They barely covered the family effort from last weekend. If Chance had been given a ride by a random person to wherever, the person would probably never know Chance was missing and people were looking for him.

I also thought about a hit and run, maybe he was thrown off roadway. Maybe snake bite. A hundred things really if it was accidental. I just hope they find him. This family grabbed my heart (well, Mom for sure).

This is so strange, and I have questions (just putting them out there, I know we don't have the answers yet).

What was the argument about? It must have been pretty bad for him to leave and go on this long of a walk. It's one thing to cool off by walking around the block. It sounds like he had no intention of coming back that night with the path he took and also phoning people for a ride (unless he stormed off and didn't realize how far away he actually got and was hoping for a ride BACK to in-laws' place?)

Why did friends not come pick him up? (NOT blaming them here at all, just curious what the circumstances were and what exactly was said over the phone). Or, I guess, DID any of them try and pick him up?

I am not getting a good vibe from this, unless a friend (or someone else) DID pick him up and are allowing him to lie low for awhile. Otherwise, how would he be surviving this long without buying stuff? I guess he could have cash on him, but you'd think someone would have recognized him somewhere if he went to a store. Maybe not. How would he get very far? If he hitched a ride, I would hope that person would come forward to LE unless he convinced them not to.

An adult can choose to walk away from their life for a while or for good. I just hope if this is what happened, he will at least call LE to say "I am alive and I am fine and chose to leave" so his family isn't worried about what happened to him. This would be the best case scenario right now MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member