NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7802603&page=1

Missing Child: Nightmare That Never Ends
Parents of Amber DuBois, Brittanee Drexel and Jason Jolkowski Chronicle Anguish

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
June 11, 2009

Two months since her 17-year-old daughter went missing in a South Carolina beach town, Dawn Drexel cautiously holds on to hope. But each day it gets harder.

Fearing the Worst in Brittanee Drexel's Disapperance

There have been few leads in the disappearnce of Brittanee Drexel, 17, who was last seen April 25 while on spring break in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Her family and friends say they fear the worst.

"This is a nightmare and you don't wake up out of it," she said the Rochester, N.Y., mother who has lived in a donated condo in Myrtle Beach since her daughter Brittanee disappeared April 25.

Brittanee Drexel was last seen on surveillance video leaving the Bluewater Resort where she had gone on spring break with friends, whom she later left, against her mother's will.

"I will never stop looking for my daughter," said Drexel. "So many children go missing each day. This is part of my life now. I am not going to quit."

Parents of missing children say that the pain is excruciating, and psychologists confirm that the loss can be even greater than when a child dies. For each, deciding when to give up the search is different.

"For those of us who will never experience such a horrible crime, it's hard to imagine how they get up every day, go to jobs, get their other children ready for school," said Marsha Gilmer-Tullis, director of its family advocacy division for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

"We never encourage them to give up," she told ABCNews.com. "Our goal is to always work the case and try to have some resolution. We always talk about hope."

But Drexel has set a deadline for herself -- the end of June -- when she will return home to her husband, from who she recently divorced, and her two other children.

"It's been very difficult," she told ABCNews.com. "I wake up in the morning and I think about Brittanee. At this point, I just want some closure. I need to know where she is -- and if she's not alive, I need to know."

"But I am missing my other children," she said of her 12-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son, whom she talks to daily. "My daughter Marissa says she wants her Mommy home."

The U.S. Department of Justice reports that 797,500 children under the age of 18 were reported missing in 2008. An average of 2,185 children are reported missing each day. Most are family, not stranger, abductions.

Coping with a missing child -- be it months or years -- is an excruciating ordeal for families. Many couples split apart, commit suicide or suffer physical or mental health consequences. Some turn to drug and alcohol abuse.

Missing Children: Siblings Suffer
Siblings, in particular, are affected by the unresolved loss. Drexel's daughter doesn't want to sleep in her own bed because her sister's room empty room is next door.

"She needs to feel safe," said Drexel. "She says, 'Mommy, you need to come home.'"

At the same time, her daughter says, "You can't leave without Brittanee," according to Drexel.

If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Brittanee Drexel, please contact the Myrtle Beach Police Department at (843) 918-1000.

And for parents, emotions also range from guilt to rage to hyper-arousal.

Much of it is anchored in a feeling of "powerlessness to the max," according to Therese A. Rando, a Rhode Island psychologist and author of, "How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies." "Especially in Western civilization, the role of parent to child is the closest genetically, psychologically and socially," said told ABCNews.com. "You should be able to protect a child so he can grow up and bury you."

Like the Drexels, parents will do anything before giving up hope and calling off a search, wondering if the child is out there somewhere in need.

"Are they choosing to come home or unable to come?" Rando asked. "Are they lost or physically injured? They may be imprisoned or mistreated."

"You do whatever you can," she said. "Maybe one more flyer, one more congressman to reach and one more reporter to give the story to can make a difference."

For the DuBois family of Escondido, Calif., whose daughter Amber has been missing since last February, the wait for answers that have never come has been devastating.

The 14-year-old was last seen 200 yards from the gate of at Escondido High School. She had sent four test messages to her grandmother at 6:45 a.m. and was last seen by family friends around 7:15 a.m.

There have been few leads in her case. At the time of her disappearance she was carrying a $200 check for a school program, and Valentine's Day gifts for her friends.

Her cell phone was turned on for a few minutes on the day following her disappearance, but hasn't been used since.

"I'm hanging in there, but it's still hard to function every day," said her mother, Carrie McGonigle, who has a younger daughter from a new marriage. "It's hard to be a good parent to my 6-year-old. It's tearing up the family."

Missing Child Causes Health Problems
Amber's disappearance has taken a toll on her half-sister, who has nightmares and, like the rest of the family, is seeing a counselor.

"She feels like we don't love her and that our focus is on finding Amber," said McGonigle. "She gets angry and her teachers say she has changed 360 degrees from nice to angry." McGonigle is on anti-depressants for stress and has not been able to work at her customer service job at a printing company in four months.

"It's utterly devastating and tears us apart," said Amber's father, who is an electronic engineer. "I haven't worked a day since she went missing."

"All we have is our hope, and when you lose that, all is gone," said Maurice "Moe" DuBois.

If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Amber Leeane DuBois, please contact Amber's Search Center at (760) 743-7343.

For Kelly Jolkowski, who has waited for her son Jason's return for eight years, activism has helped her cope.

Jason disappeared at the age of 19 on June 13, 2001 -- an anniversary that will hit the family hard on Saturday. He left home to meet a co-worker who was supposed to drive him to work

He was last seen by his younger brother Michael taking the trash out in their Omaha, Neb., driveway.

"He had no enemies, he was a nice kid, no one hated him and there is no evidence of mental health issues or family problems," she told ABCNews.com. "He doesn't look like a runaway and there is no evidence someone took him." She said she replays that day forever in her mind.

"I wondered if I could do something to prevent this," said Jolkowski. "You always play back the last day or the last week. Parents of missing teens often worry that they "yelled at him because he didn't pick up his clothes...if I hadn't done that things would be different."

The Jolkowski's marriage has remained intact, despite the pressures, and a close network of friends and extended family have softened the pain.

In 2003, the family formed a nonprofit organization, Project Jason, which is dedicated to helping families find their missing children. "We support them. We listen to them and find out what their needs," she said.

They work with hundreds of families across the U.S., offering free online counseling. The group also distributes posters through the trucking industry and homeless shelters and keeps an address on the online game Second Life.

Waiting Eight Years for Son to Come Home

Jason's Law was passed in 2005, establishing a state clearinghouse that collects information on missing persons and makes it available to the public.

For the first time this weekend, they will hold a retreat for families with missing children.

Both the DuBois and Drexel families have also found solace in organizations dedicated to their missing children -- the Brittanee Drexel Foundation and Bring Amber Home.

"What we have found is the ability for them to connect with others who are going through the same thing is helpful," said CEMC's Gilmer-Tullis.

Jolkowski agrees.

"When you become active in the solutions, it helps a great deal in healing," said "You always have the feeling that you have momentum moving forward, accomplishing things that might find Jason or another child."

In her gut, Jolkowski really doesn't know if her son, who would be 27 this weekend, is alive or dead.

"We have our right to hope until we find our truth," she said. "Jason could be sitting somewhere wanting to come home."

"When someone dies through health or an accident they are dead and there is an answer," she said. "You can go through the steps of grief, denial, anger and progress.

"We are stuck and we don't know what we are grieving for."

If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Jason Jolkowski, contact the Omaha Police Department at (402) 444-5600.

For more mays to help, contact Team HOPE (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) for assistance to families with missing children.

Kelly I keep all of you with missing children in my prayers. I pray that someday soon you have your answers. God bless you and all of the other parents with missing children.

http://omaha.com/article/20090615/NEWS01/306159899

Project Jason retreat draws 20

Kelly Jolkowski could see the anxiety and sadness on the faces of the 20 people who came to a retreat Friday near Ashland, Neb.

They all have experienced the sorrow of having a loved one disappear and not knowing that person's fate.

But by Sunday, two days later, the participants had changed, said Jolkowski, who helps families of missing people. "Their faces lifted," she said. "They learned that they can still experience joy in their lives."

The participants came from places throughout the United States for the retreat, called "Keys to Healing: Mind, Body and Spirit." It was sponsored by Project Jason, a nonprofit organization named after Jolkowski's son, who disappeared from his Omaha family eight years ago at age 19. Saturday marked the anniversary of his disappearance.

The retreat, at Carol Joy Holling Camp, helped participants understand the physical and emotional trauma caused by a loved one's disappearance, Jolkowski said. They were treated to talks and help from a therapist, priest, dietician, personal trainer and massage therapist. "We pampered them," Jolkowski said. "That's what they needed."

Jolkowski said she hopes Project Jason can make the retreat an annual event. Project Jason covered $100 of each person's costs, she said. The retreat cost $155 per person or $288 for a couple and included everything for the weekend: meals, snacks, materials and lodging.

Kelly, I can't begin to understand your pain. I can however understand the love of your child though, as a mother myself. I think the retreat was a wonderful gift to the 20 folks that were able to attend. What a blessing to them to be able to experience something like that. I do hope that you all can do it annually. Sadly I am sure that there will always be people that need such support. Thank you for posting the article about it. And I will continue to pray for your family as well as others in your situation.

Kelly,

That is such a wonderful thing you did, holding that retreat for the families who have missing loved ones. You truly are an angel! You are all still in my prayers every day.

It was so amazing and miraculous that I have not been able to put it into words! Those 20 people were transformed before our eyes. I am confident we will have it again as long as we get the support of the public.

Thank you.

Thanks Hoppy for keeping an eye out and letting us know!

Salem

I saw the CNN article on Jason today and immediately thought of Kelly and her family.

My heart goes out to them and prayers for them as well.

I know this is reaching, but reading this story on CNN today I remembered a story about another Missing kid, Johnny Gosch.
The reason it clicked with me was the fact that this happened in Omaha Nebraska. Some of the theories about Johnny Gosch center around a man in Omaha Nebraska.

This is from Wickipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Gosch
In 1989, Paul Bonacci - a young sex offender imprisoned in Nebraska - told attorney John DeCamp that he was in a sex ring with Gosch as a teenager and was coerced into participating in Gosch's abduction.

[edit] Credibility
Main article: Franklin Coverup
There are conflicting legal decisions concerning the veracity of Bonacci and Noreen Gosch's conflicting versions of events. FBI and local police believe that Bonacci is not a credible suspect in the case, even though he was awarded damages (in a legal proceeding detailed below), and Bonacci has not been interviewed by law enforcement.[9]

Bonacci accused Lawrence E. King, the director of the Franklin Credit Union in Omaha, Nebraska, of running an underage prostitution ring and victimizing him since an early age. The sex ring allegations were the subject of newspaper coverage in the Washington Times and the New York Times.[10][11]

In 1990, a grand jury declined to charge King, finding the allegations to be "a carefully crafted hoax". Alleged victims Paul Bonacci and Alisha Owen were convicted of perjury and jailed. Nonetheless, King was sued by Bonacci in 1999 and, because King did not respond to or defend himself against the charges, King was ordered to pay Bonacci $1 million in a default judgment. The judge's decision reads, "The now uncontradicted evidence is that the plaintiff has suffered much. He has suffered burns, broken fingers, beatings of the head and face and other indignities by the wrongful actions of defendant King".[12] At the time, King was serving a prison sentence for fraud and tax evasion involving the theft of $38 million.

DeCamp, who represented Bonacci both times, wrote a book titled The Franklin Coverup, which was prefaced by retired CIA chief William Colby and published in 1994. The book elaborated on Bonacci's claims, and alleged a conspiracy and successful cover-up of underage prostitution by King and others.

Like I said its reaching but it might be something to check out.

The Discovery ID channel (Investigation Discovery) just had a news minute about Jason, showing his picture and I think it was his dad talking about the case... A woman was talking, too. It happened so fast, I didn't catch it all but I was happy to see him getting some prime TV coverage.

Prayers for Jason, Kelly and the whole family.

Thinking of you today Jason, you've been gone too long!

Bumping you to the top, Jason, prayers to you, your family and friends as we approach the 9th anniversary of your missing date. Please come home soon.

I cannot believe you have been gone 9 long years, Jason. Praying for your safety and for your family and friends today. May God bless all of you and provide your safe return.

Thinking of Jason and the Jolkowski family today on the 9th anniversary of his disappearance.

Praying for answers and hopeful for Jasons safe return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998