Netflix series "Don't With Cats"

Do they actually show his videos? I want to watch it, but I don't want to see the cats get hurt.
No they don’t only little glimpses of when the cats are alive but it’s still really upsetting seeing their little faces looking at the camera, knowing what comes next :-( it really upset me that part.
Actually they do show a picture of the dead cats in his fridge that he took afterwards but not the actual killing.

No they don’t only little glimpses of when the cats are alive but it’s still really upsetting seeing their little faces looking at the camera, knowing what comes next :-( it really upset me that part.
Actually they do show a picture of the dead cats in his fridge that he took afterwards but not the actual killing.

It was hard to look at their sweet little kitty faces, knowing what he did. I couldn't even watch that much (after the first couple of seconds when it first came on), and had to switch tabs until the scene was over. Knowing there are some things you just can't unsee, I try to be very careful what I'll watch.

Based on a mention of this case/documentary on a separate thread, I signed up to watch on Netflix and binged watched back to back. Excellent documentary MOO. I agree, that he was setting up a mental defense, ADDI/made me do it, from the beginning. He was merely sly as a fox MOO, and evil. As with some detail oriented/planning psychopaths, I would expect him to have a high IQ.

Still contemplating watching this, wondering how graphic the abuse shown will be, but it seems very interesting from the sleuther point of view of it. I almost forgot about LM.

rbbm.
Don't With Cats: Netflix's pet killer saga is 2019's darkest documentary
20 Dec 2019
"The story of Don’t With Cats doesn’t really matter; you’d watch it even if you thought – as I initially did – that it was going to simply be a You’ve Been Framed-style compilation of cats attacking people. However, the masterstroke here is that the narrative is simply unbelievable. And – this should be said upfront – it’s incredibly upsetting. This aspect can’t really be overstated. There are moments that are viscerally harrowing. The story begins with a video uploaded to YouTube that graphically depicts the torture and murder of two small kittens. You don’t see the video – or any subsequent similar videos – in the documentary, but there are plenty of Grizzly Man-style reactions nevertheless. One is by a senior police officer who ends up reduced to tears. It is a violently distressing programme. If you’re even slightly queasy about this sort of thing, I’d seriously recommend giving it a miss.
Nevertheless, the story is incredible. An anonymous user uploads the kitten video, and it appals a group of Facebook users so strongly that they use every tool in their disposal to track him down. They parse the video frame by frame for something – anything – that will give them a clue to the killer’s whereabouts. Plug sockets and cigarette packets are scrutinised. A specific blanket is tracked down through eBay. The expertise of an incredibly niche online vacuum cleaner forum is consulted. Metadata is cross-referenced with Google Maps.''

"As soon as the horror of the cat videos subsides, we’re off on a wild goose chase of reverse image searches, Google Street View sweeps and fake identity databases"

I found this entire case fascinating. I remember posting on the WS boards while they were hunting him. What a chase!! The documentary covered quite a bit of the story. However, Luka has so many pages on the webs that i spent days checking out his accounts and sleuthing this case. Just Read the book written by his mother “my son the killer.” What an absolute joke! Luka then went off to marry in prison. All for more headlines while he is locked up!!!

Still contemplating watching this, wondering how graphic the abuse shown will be, but it seems very interesting from the sleuther point of view of it. I almost forgot about LM.
It’s not too bad. I mean it’s sick and confronting but after reading about him on here it’s not as bad. Worth watching IMO

I googled what time stamps to FF through. Reddit has a list.

I watched it and "enjoyed" it (as much as you can enjoy something like this). I didn't research anything about it, I saw the title on Netflix and thought it was weird, so I just turned it on randomly and was surprised it was about Luka Magnotta. I had read up on him and knew who he was already, but obviously there was so much I didn't know! I had no clue a group of sleuthers were onto to him pretty early. It sucks that LE never took them seriously. This is also a great example of why animal cruelty needs to be taken much more seriously - he could have been stopped if people/the law actually cared about these animals and put him behind bars already for murdering these poor creatures. Violence only ever escalates. It's a childish dream to think a person who tortures and kills animals won't continue to be more violent over time.

My friend suggested me to watch this series, but I haven't watched it. After reading these reviews, I think I'll start watching this later today. :D

I watched it and "enjoyed" it (as much as you can enjoy something like this). I didn't research anything about it, I saw the title on Netflix and thought it was weird, so I just turned it on randomly and was surprised it was about Luka Magnotta. I had read up on him and knew who he was already, but obviously there was so much I didn't know! I had no clue a group of sleuthers were onto to him pretty early. It sucks that LE never took them seriously. This is also a great example of why animal cruelty needs to be taken much more seriously - he could have been stopped if people/the law actually cared about these animals and put him behind bars already for murdering these poor creatures. Violence only ever escalates. It's a childish dream to think a person who tortures and kills animals won't continue to be more violent over time.

To be honest, I kept bypassing it on Netflix as the title reminded me of the UK show, "9 out of 10 Cats Enjoy Countdown" or whatever it is called. I thought it was going to be annoying, but this time I decided to watch whatever the first show that popped up was, and it was that. I knew nothing of this case and had to keep stopping in the first episode to process and take a breath. Quite a thought-provoking series.

To be honest, I kept bypassing it on Netflix as the title reminded me of the UK show, "9 out of 10 Cats Enjoy Countdown" or whatever it is called. I thought it was going to be annoying, but this time I decided to watch whatever the first show that popped up was, and it was that. I knew nothing of this case and had to keep stopping in the first episode to process and take a breath. Quite a thought-provoking series.

I always find it rather fascinating when stories here in CA go under the radar from international media, and vice versa, when there's isn't much of any coverage of cases in other countries. It was so heinous, I naturally assumed the Magnotta case actually did have world wide media coverage but the reviews of this documentary seem to be the opposite of that. I just think it's interesting, that's all. :)

Do I have a story for you folks! I was a very active Websleuths poster at the time that the Luka Magnotta case broke over the news, and we had a thread here. It's now locked. During the investigation, we had many new posters join us. I recall that some were part of the Facebook group that was in the Netflix film. It was crazy because they already knew who the killer was even though his name had not been reported. I'm not even sure police knew who it was. Remember, he posted the video to the group member before anyone went to check the house. They shared a link to the video of the murder with a huge disclaimer and also shared the cat videos. In fact, I remember someone asking us to help them check for the light poles and being told that one of them had identified the city where the pole was located and stuff.

Of course, some of them ran afoul of the mods because there were no media links to support what they were saying. I believe some of their posts were deleted. But a lot of us saw the name before it was removed, and we went right to work. I can't speak for anyone else, but I watched a part where the victim was on a table being stabbed and stuff, and it was far too disturbing. I turned it off, but that image is still in my head. When the lady from the Netflix video cried about what she saw, I cried, too. The film brought back so many horrible memories.

But I have to admit that I was fascinated by all of the social media stuff. We were discovering hundreds of accounts that belonged to Luka. At first, we were commenting in the hope that he would reply. Then we started to realize just how many accounts were out there.

There were Youtube videos posted by him under an alias and then comments by accounts that he created and then responses to those comments by other accounts he had created. Yes, he would argue with himself. Spread rumors about himself and then argue that the rumor was false. And he was everywhere on the internet. I would load one Youtube username or email address into Google and end up finding the same name used for other accounts. And that account would have communications for 50 users who, of course, were all him, too. It was madness. But we were digging for clues.

The film brought back so many horrible memories. But there's one that is almost hard to believe. I swear by it, but I can't prove it for obvious reasons. I suppose a mod might be able to check it for us. But I'm not sure if I could direct someone without checking the old thread myself.

Anyway, near the end of the chase to catch Luka, a lot of posters were here. Many were new. A few seemed sketchy and were saying unusual things. I confronted one, and he/she disappeared. The person may have been banned instantly. But another seemed very peculiar. The person wasn't breaking any rules. But it almost seemed like the person was playing games with us. Pretending to be a big fan of Luka, pretending that it was all part of a plan to ruin his career. It all matched what I had been seeing on his social media sites. I didn't confront him because I didn't want to scare him away. But I asked him some questions. He wouldn't respond. He just kept blabbering. I kept on and got one response from him. It didn't make very much sense. Most of his posts didn't. Then, he was just gone. Not long after that, we heard the news that Luka had been arrested and that he had been using the internet when he was caught. I am 100 percent sure that Luka was here. After all, he loved attention, and there were hundreds of people here focused on him. But the thread got locked somehow, and some posts were deleted, of course. So there may be no way to go back and find those posts if they even still exist. It was certainly a creepy moment. And there were a handful of other posters who seemed to catch onto what I was noticing about a poster. If anyone has a connection with the mods, maybe we can get that thread opened and/or restore some of the deleted posts to see if we can pick out whether Luka may have been posting. I've always wanted to know for sure.

I was active on that thread as well. I had suspicions about him being there too. I don't remember much except how uncomfortable I was posting. Imagine him in that internet cafe they busted him in, posting with us on WS!

I always find it rather fascinating when stories here in CA go under the radar from international media, and vice versa, when there's isn't much of any coverage of cases in other countries. It was so heinous, I naturally assumed the Magnotta case actually did have world wide media coverage but the reviews of this documentary seem to be the opposite of that. I just think it's interesting, that's all. :)

I suppose the same can be said all around the world; it has to be truly heinous or bizarre to be picked up. At the time of the whole case I was too busy raising babies and toddlers and preschoolers so I had other things to keep me either occupied or I was trying to catch up on sleep. That is my excuse anyway :D

Do I have a story for you folks! I was a very active Websleuths poster at the time that the Luka Magnotta case broke over the news, and we had a thread here. It's now locked. During the investigation, we had many new posters join us. I recall that some were part of the Facebook group that was in the Netflix film. It was crazy because they already knew who the killer was even though his name had not been reported. I'm not even sure police knew who it was. Remember, he posted the video to the group member before anyone went to check the house. They shared a link to the video of the murder with a huge disclaimer and also shared the cat videos. In fact, I remember someone asking us to help them check for the light poles and being told that one of them had identified the city where the pole was located and stuff.

Of course, some of them ran afoul of the mods because there were no media links to support what they were saying. I believe some of their posts were deleted. But a lot of us saw the name before it was removed, and we went right to work. I can't speak for anyone else, but I watched a part where the victim was on a table being stabbed and stuff, and it was far too disturbing. I turned it off, but that image is still in my head. When the lady from the Netflix video cried about what she saw, I cried, too. The film brought back so many horrible memories.

But I have to admit that I was fascinated by all of the social media stuff. We were discovering hundreds of accounts that belonged to Luka. At first, we were commenting in the hope that he would reply. Then we started to realize just how many accounts were out there.

There were Youtube videos posted by him under an alias and then comments by accounts that he created and then responses to those comments by other accounts he had created. Yes, he would argue with himself. Spread rumors about himself and then argue that the rumor was false. And he was everywhere on the internet. I would load one Youtube username or email address into Google and end up finding the same name used for other accounts. And that account would have communications for 50 users who, of course, were all him, too. It was madness. But we were digging for clues.

The film brought back so many horrible memories. But there's one that is almost hard to believe. I swear by it, but I can't prove it for obvious reasons. I suppose a mod might be able to check it for us. But I'm not sure if I could direct someone without checking the old thread myself.

Anyway, near the end of the chase to catch Luka, a lot of posters were here. Many were new. A few seemed sketchy and were saying unusual things. I confronted one, and he/she disappeared. The person may have been banned instantly. But another seemed very peculiar. The person wasn't breaking any rules. But it almost seemed like the person was playing games with us. Pretending to be a big fan of Luka, pretending that it was all part of a plan to ruin his career. It all matched what I had been seeing on his social media sites. I didn't confront him because I didn't want to scare him away. But I asked him some questions. He wouldn't respond. He just kept blabbering. I kept on and got one response from him. It didn't make very much sense. Most of his posts didn't. Then, he was just gone. Not long after that, we heard the news that Luka had been arrested and that he had been using the internet when he was caught. I am 100 percent sure that Luka was here. After all, he loved attention, and there were hundreds of people here focused on him. But the thread got locked somehow, and some posts were deleted, of course. So there may be no way to go back and find those posts if they even still exist. It was certainly a creepy moment. And there were a handful of other posters who seemed to catch onto what I was noticing about a poster. If anyone has a connection with the mods, maybe we can get that thread opened and/or restore some of the deleted posts to see if we can pick out whether Luka may have been posting. I've always wanted to know for sure.
This is literally what I came here for, to ask if this site had any suspicious posts from him. I pretty much assume anyone posting weird comments in Websleuths threads for active killers is either seeking strange attention but harmlessly or actually the person we're looking for. There's been a couple weird posts in two active serial killer investigations where at least one was reported to the mods. I don't know what came of it. Watching the doc last week, it was so mind-blowing just how narcissistic he was and curious about his media attention. It's not unlike Zodiac, just different. How many more are like that?

I watched. I was very impressed by John Green. I liked Deanna's drive. How frustrating and horrifying for them, can you imagine? It felt a tiny bit like knowing who killed Kara Kopetsky for years and not being able to do anything about it. LM is beyond anything I've ever seen, though and his mother actually made me more disturbed than the kittens (which was horrifying in its own right). I truly, sincerely warn those of you just getting into this case to avoid looking for the video of Jun Lin's murder (which is still online). It is truly horrific and will give you nightmares.

nooooway. DT is too good to be CH and doesn't seem like someone that would lie online about having a criminology degree.

There is a whole forum for him. Luka Rocco Magnotta AKA Eric Newman
Yeah but the entire forum is locked except for one thread about the mom's book. It's weird that an entire forum dedicated to someone is locked.

This is literally what I came here for, to ask if this site had any suspicious posts from him. I pretty much assume anyone posting weird comments in Websleuths threads for active killers is either seeking strange attention but harmlessly or actually the person we're looking for. There's been a couple weird posts in two active serial killer investigations where at least one was reported to the mods. I don't know what came of it. Watching the doc last week, it was so mind-blowing just how narcissistic he was and curious about his media attention. It's not unlike Zodiac, just different. How many more are like that?
Seem to recall this sk commented on some sites under the handle "1countryboy". Offhand cannot remember/blocked details.fwiw, imo.
Cody Alan Legebokoff: The country boy accused in the murders of four B.C. women | National Post

I wish it had never been made, because he doesn’t deserve one ounce of recognition or publicity and having a whole show made about him has to be completely feeding his sick ego. Yuck. I won’t watch it just on that alone.
I think that's why the series focused on the sleuthers and their work and why police should listen to people when they find stuff online that should be addressed. I did not for one second think it glorified LM.
why does he have access to youtube?!
I'm beginning to wonder if that's why 99% of his forum is locked? They know he has access to the Internet in prison so they don't want him coming here screwing with people?
Yes, when I say, "my kids", they are all over age 25...but even they were telling me things that were too disturbing. My ex husband couldn't watch it...and he was a police officer! So, the stuff about playing with frozen dead kittens? They actually showed that?

Pass.
They're not frozen exactly. One of the videos, he ... erm ... vacuum-sealed them. They don't actually show that part of the video. They just show him briefly putting a cat in a bag. Then it cuts. You briefly see a few seconds later where he places one on the bed after the fact. It's maybe 2-3 seconds. They did a lot of edits so that you see like a corner of the screen or you can hear parts, or they have Baudi playing video and looking away. John Green or Baudi describe the scenes. They were the ones who basically scanned through all the images to try to learn more about the room and find evidence. Powerhouse people.

But all of the actual scenes where the cats are killed are not shown. In the case of the python, they blurred out so much of it that you only have a basic idea of what happened but you can't see it. There's a third video of a kitten that shows an approach to a tub but they cut away and John Green just describes what happens. Regardless, it's hard to watch. The snuff video is actually shown more than the cat videos. They do NOT show the ending of that though, and only a partial view of stabbing motions, never a full, clear idea of what was happening. You piece it together. The police sergeant is the one who tells you what's at the end and good lord no thank you. They show enough in the videos to appreciate the seriousness of it all. I think that was their agenda. This is serious. This is bad. It's alarming. If they hadn't, I don't know that anyone watching would have fully understood how people could dedicate so much time to trying to catch the guy. Or appreciate what these people did as armchair investigators to brave the videos and brave the interactions with the guy knowing he created them and is talking to them. The gravity hits because you get the snippets of video.

Seem to recall this sk commented on some sites under the handle "1countryboy". Offhand cannot remember/blocked details.fwiw, imo.
Cody Alan Legebokoff: The country boy accused in the murders of four B.C. women | National Post
Yikes. I've heard of prisoners having access to Internet, but you'd think LM of all people would get a "no Internet" clause or something. Though I'm sure Canadian prisons operate differently and are maybe more generous than American ones? Sounds like he has a lot of activities based on an article shared about his prison time. Something about painting, language classes, etc.

So, OK, something I really want to ask about is an article I found the other day while Googling about LM for the first time after watching the series. The article is from 2014 and says Montreal police combed through LM's photography/video files and found an unidentified man asleep in LM's bed days before the murder happened and LM is essentially "playing" with the person while they are asleep. (I'm going to assume he tested whatever narcotics he had on this guy to see if he would stay knocked out the whole time.) The article says the police want to find this man to confirm who he is and what he knew about LM (and obviously to probably charge LM with more crimes). One of my first thoughts while watching the series was, "Was this his first murder? Did he commit others elsewhere?" Is this unidentified man OK or did he do something to this guy, too? I think that's what the police wanted to know probably. Does anyone know if they ever found out?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back