GUILTY Netherlands - Jos Brech, 55, wanted for murder, Vosges (Fr) winter 2018

Monday, October 5, third day in court, final part (3) of the day.

Timeline of crime reporter Saskia Belleman @SaskiaBelleman

Photo showing the most important locations: where #Nicky was found and where a tissue with stools was found.

Ejj_SchXYAEai4U

The spruce forest next to the potato field where #Nicky was found. 138.5 metres from the Schinvelderweg.

Ejj_niPXsAEIwjL

In the distance lies the bush where #Nicky's body was found.

Ejj_3WyXsAINrv9

The spruce bush on the left.

EjkADzPXcAAtkSo

The little tree in the middle where #Nicky was found. A tiny bit of red of his pyjama trousers is visible

EjkAgEEXcAAjkao

Jos B. takes a close look at all the pictures the OM shows.

BBM

Monday, October 5, third day in court, final part (4) of the day.

The spot where #Nicky was found. Made when the body had already been removed.

EjkBR2gXcAE6ft_

From the thick tree where Jos B. probably stood peeing, to the edge of the forest is 21 meters. The distance from the edge of the forest to the fence of the spruce forest is 45 meters. #Nicky was 4 meters deep in the plot: 70 meters from the spot where Jos B. was standing.

All relevant spots on 1 aerial photo.

EjkCE-HXsAA3Rt6

The clearing in the corn field where dna -sperm - from an unknown man was found on a tissue.

EjkCoFkWkAcms-i

At 380 meters from the spot where #Nicky was found this tissue with stools of a woman was found: crime scene 3.

EjkDSCKXYAIZgwL

Bottom left of this image near the green triangle is the place where witnesses heard a child screaming.

EjkDz6PXgAElKHO

Jos B. does not want to comment on the images. "I have been watching. I exercise my right to remain silent."

For today we are done. Wednesday we will continue with the experts of the Pieter Baan Centre and in the afternoon the speeches of the next of kin.

BBM

OM deelt foto: onmogelijk dat Jos B. lichaam Nicky Verstappen zag

During today's trial, the Public Prosecutor's Office showed a new picture of the spot where Nicky Verstappen was found. The picture should cast doubt on Jos B.'s statement that he saw Nicky lying there.

Jos B. said in a video message last week that Nicky Verstappen had already died when he found him at Brunssummerheide. "I stopped at the edge of the woods to take a leak. My attention was caught by something in the distance. Curious as I am, I went there. To see what it could be. As I came closer, I saw something lying there, a person. I climbed over the fence as fast as I could. It was a child."

The photo that was added to the criminal file by the Public Prosecutor's Office was taken in the evening of 11 August 1998, shortly after Nicky had been found. The boy was lying about four metres behind the fence. If you zoom in, you see something red between the pine trees. These are Nicky's red pyjama trousers.

The Public Prosecutor wants to make it clear with the photo that it is impossible that the 'something' that Jos B. says he saw was Nicky Verstappen. For the same reason, a second photo and a short video were also shown. In it, two detectives can be seen near a ribbon of tape, at the spot where Nicky was found.

The shot was made in 1998, probably by the regional broadcaster TV8. At the time, the camera team was at about the same spot as where Jos B. was supposed to have been... The place where his attention was drawn by 'something'.

Prosecutor Dave Mattheijs said in court: "What is striking about this film is that you can in no way observe what is lying on the ground in the spruce parcel. From that position."

Reporter Jeroen Wetzels, who is following the case for RTL News, says about the footage shown today: "The Public Prosecutor's Office is trying to make it clear that Jos B.'s statement cannot be true. According to the Public Prosecutor Jos B. cannot have seen Nicky lying down. Nicky was lying on the ground and over a distance of 70 metres it would have been impossible to see that".

"The only point is that Jos B. did not say that he saw Nicky lying down. He saw 'something'. That could have been something completely different: an animal or a human being or a reflection of light."

The way in which he observed 'something', B. does not want to say. Mattheijs asked B. whether he had heard, smelt, felt or seen something. To all four questions B. answered: "I make use of my right to remain silent."

BBM

Wednesday, October 7, fourth day in court

A new day will soon start in the court of Maastricht in the criminal proceedings against Jos B., suspected of abducting, sexually abusing and killing 11-year-old #Nicky Verstappen.

Today the psychiatrist and psychologist of the Pieter Baan Centre will first be heard. They were unable to comment on the imputability of Jos B., because he refused to cooperate in the investigation.

Apparently, the investigators confronted him with fragments from his diary that Jos B. felt were being taken out of context.

The experts assess the risk of recurrence as moderate. But they based their assessment mainly on the fact that Jos B. did not come into contact with the law after he assaulted 3 boys in 1984 and 1985.

The part that attracts the most interest today is the right of the relatives of #Nicky to speak. His sister Femke, mother Berthie (also on behalf of father Peter) and aunt Jacqueline, Peter Verstappen's sister, are speaking.

They had to wait 22 years for the court case against a suspect in the killing of 11-year-old #Nicky in 1998. For them it is certain that Jos B. was responsible for it, even though he himself continues to deny it.

So far Jos B. has only wanted to say that he found the body of the already deceased #Nicky on the moor, in a spruce bush. Because he feared that he would be considered a suspect because of his sexual past, he didn't report anything.

When Jos B. decided hours later to report his find anyway, the body had already been found "and there was no longer any need," Jos B. said in a video statement. In the courtroom, he wanted to explain that statement only briefly.

You've been briefed a little bit about what preceded today. The case starts around half past ten.

Jos B. enters and takes a seat next to his lawyer Gerald Roethof. There is a small pane of plexiglass between them because of the corona virus.

The public prosecutors have requested to hear the experts of the Pieter Baan Centre. That will be done first.

Lawyer Wendy van Egmond has previously asked the court for a possibility for the next of kin to be able to look at the suspect during the right to speak.

The court rejected this earlier. Van Egmond emphasises how dignified the family has behaved so far and insists. The public prosecutors have offered their seats.

Van Egmond says how important it is for the bereaved relatives to be able to face Jos B. and confront him with their grief.

Van Egmond says that there are also other options that enable the next of kin to look at Jos B. and also asks the court to ask lawyer Roethof not to obstruct the view of the suspect.

The family has had to wait 22 years for this moment," says attorney Van Egmond. She feels that the court has room in law to accommodate the next of kin and asks the court to reconsider the negative decision.

The Public Prosecutor's Office supports the next of kin's request. The Public Prosecutor confirms that he and his colleague are prepared to hand over their seats to the next of kin.

Lawyer Roethof confirms that the family Verstappen has always behaved correctly. He says he will respect the verdict of the court.

The court will think about it later. Now the PBC experts will first be heard.

The experts are to be brought in.

In the meantime, the experts are ready. Clinical psychologist De Groot, psychiatrist De Boer and acting head of the PBC's legal service. I have never seen the latter appear before.

The Public Prosecutor Mattheijs has questions on two subjects: on paedophilia and the relationship to the crime of which Jos B. is suspected, and on the danger of repetition.

How often does paedophilia occur, the Public Prosecutor asks? The psychologist is not in a position to comment on this. Can the experts say anything about how often paedophiles give in to their urges?

According to the experts, there are no data available. If you ask paedophiles the question, they will not answer it.

The public prosecutor also has questions about paedophilia and the risk of repetition. How often does this happen? Jos B. went wrong earlier in 1984 and 1985. What does that imply about this case?

According to the experts, an assessment of the risk of repetition can be made on the basis of a profile. But that differs from person to person. That depends very much on the context and the person.

According to the experts, Jos B. has a paedophile disorder. Not everyone who has that disorder goes wrong. The Public Prosecutor draws a comparison with a pyromaniac who sets fire several times.

Surely it is because of his disorder that this pyromaniac sets fire on several occasions, the prosecutor asks? The psychologist says that there is a link between the disorder and the actions, but that these actions are not always entirely determined by the disorder.

The officers continue their enquiries. Prosecutor Emmen outlines an "anecdote" in which an expert in another case said that "a disorder is not a choice. A disorder affects everything a person does in daily life".

Psychiatrist De Boer says that a person's actions are determined by a disorder 'if that person lives entirely in another reality'. The disorder can colour one's actions, but one does not always have to fully determine one's actions.

You cannot lump all the disorders together, says the psychiatrist. And he also says that a disorder is not always 'overpowering'.

Psychologist De Groot says that it also depends on whether or not a paedophile is busy in his head with sex 24 hours a day.

If I understand the experts correctly, they say that in general it is not possible to say anything about the extent to which a person's actions are determined by a disorder. There are gradations. Disorder does not always dominate everything.

The researchers have not been able to determine to what extent Jos B.'s actions (*) were determined by his paedophile disorder.

[* Saskia Belleman later specified that these are 'alleged actions' ]

In 1984 and 1985 Jos B. lost control when he grabbed the pants of 3 boys. But that does not mean that Jos B. automatically lost control 12 years later, says the psychologist.

About the incidents in 1984 and 1985 Jos B. said that he was "panicking" and also had to cry because he lost control.

Prosecutor Mattheijs discusses the danger of repetition. The experts estimate that to be moderate, but they did so purely on the basis that he did not come into contact with the law after 1985.

It would help if all parties to the proceedings could speak well into the microphones....

According to psychiatrist De Boer, the assessment of the moderate risk of recurrence is mainly based on what exactly happened in 1984 and 1985. The actions of Jos B., the statements he made.

The risk of repetition is also based on the type of offence he committed in 1984 and 1985. Not about what happened to #Nicky. The experts also say that the risk of repetition decreases with age.

If there were a violent crime, the experts say they would use a different test instrument. But apparently they only used the test instrument for a sex crime.

Is putting your hand on someone's mouth, pulling children to the ground, not an act of violence, the Public Prosecutor asks? Because that happened in 1984/1985. According to the experts, something that comes across as aggressive in normal language is qualified differently in the test instrument.

Jos B. leans on his arms on the table and looks past his lawyer at the experts being questioned.

The experts say that they usually have much more information than in this case. " In that case, there is a crime scenario". The child *advertiser censored* on Jos B.'s computer played no part in the assessment of the recidivism risk.

If the experts had been able to talk to Jos B. about how he stands in life, how he faces the suspicions, then it would have been easier to make estimates, the psychiatrist says. But Jos B. did not cooperate.

The bottom line is that the experts say that they cannot assess the risk of repeated sexual abuse and the killing of a child.

The Public Prosecutor has read the book Zicht op zedendeloffenten (View of sex offenders) and presents passages from that book to the experts. Such as the passage that the risk of a repeated sex crime is greatest in someone who has been abused in his youth.

Prosecutor Mattheijs says that when child *advertiser censored* was found, the idea arose that Jos B. had shifted his interest to the internet. But the search terms stood out: they indicated violence used against young children.

The experts did look into this, they say. But it was not possible to discuss this with Jos B..

Lawyer Roethof is allowed to ask questions. Do the experts find the institute of the Pieter Baan Centre useful in the Netherlands? "Yes", the experts say. No surprising answer.

Do the experts think they have done thorough investigations? Yes, they do. Have the experts reported extensively? We reported according to the standard of the PBC and with the information we had.

Roethof discusses the 1984-1985 cases. The psychiatrist wrote that there is a 15 to 30% chance that a sex offender will relapse within 5 years.

"But that doesn't say anything about this case and this particular person," says the psychiatrist. "But in the weighting you take into account all aspects that are relevant".

The psychologist says that it is indeed relevant to the assessment of the risk of repetition that there are no indications that Jos B. relapsed after 1985.

The psychiatrist says that the fact that Jos B., as far as is known, did not relapse for 35 years means "absolutely nothing" for the statistics on that 15 to 30%.

Does the treatment of paedophile sex offenders include watching child *advertiser censored*? That is in discussion and in development, the psychologist says. The idea is that someone who looks at it might not put their urges into practice.

The interrogation of the experts is finished. The court wants to adjourn a little longer in order to be able to consider whether the next of kin will later be allowed to look at Jos B. during their right to speak.

The court says it understands the wish of the next of kin when they say they want to look at Jos B. "But we cannot fix the accused's head to ensure that he also looks at the next of kin".

We'll continue at half past 12

BBM

Wednesday, October 7, fourth day in court, continued.

We can see some movements in the courtroom during the break. It seems that everything is being prepared to allow the next of kin to sit on the public prosecutor's seat if the court so decides.

Indeed, it seems that the next of kin will be allowed to sit next to the public prosecutor's seat in due course. Everything is now being prepared for this.

The next of kin will shortly be sitting between the two public prosecutors, Mattheijs and Emmen, during the right to speak. I have never experienced this before.

The case is being resumed. Indeed, the court says it wants to use the place between the prosecutors for the right to speak. Also because there are microphones there. It is the maximum that is possible given the room, the corona rules and the microphones.

Advocate Wendy van Egmond will first explain the claim for damages on behalf of the next of kin.

It is evident that the loss of #Nicky has caused damage in every possible way, says Van Egmond. Most of the material damage claim concerns costs for the funeral and the gravestone.

Another part of the material claim consists of travel costs: thousands of kilometres travelled by the family members to interviews with the police, the Public Prosecution Service, lawyers and the media to prevent Nicky from being forgotten, says Van Egmond.

Nicky's aunt, Jacqueline, is the first to be given the floor. She sits diagonally across from Jos B.

"How to express more than 20 years of grief in a few sentences, in these few minutes," the aunt says. The death of Nicky came like a sledgehammer blow and destroyed the lives of his parents and sister.

Since the death of Nicky there was no normal life anymore, says the aunt. From an average family with 2 children the family became "the parents of Nicky Verstappen and the sister of Nicky Verstappen."

"Her brother, sister-in-law and Femke became different people," the aunt says. "The whole family became different. Not a day passed without them thinking about Nicky. The scenarios kept grinding through everyone's head. That destroys a human being."

Jacqueline: "How does it feel to go to a grave with no date of death on it? For Berthie, Peter and Femke there was only emptiness and sorrow."

"Nicky will forever be the sweet, gentle frecklehead of yesteryear," says his aunt. She no longer dared to let her children play football on the playing field carefree. "They can be gone just like that. Like Nicky."

She accuses Jos B. of playing a kind of stratego during the criminal case and calls Jos B.'s video statement "a pathetic story full of self-pity from someone who, on the advice of his counsel, always invokes his right to remain silent. The great magic word in the case."

" How can you remain silent then? What a coward you are, then? How heartless are you? And above all, how strategic are you?" aunt Jacqueline asks.

Jos B. says that it is "difficult" to hear. "The death of #Nicky touched me too. But it's nothing compared to the pain the family is in. But I can't contribute anything more than what I've already said."

Sister Femke takes a seat opposite Jos B. She says she has always said she wants to look straight in the eyes of whoever committed the murder of her little brother.

"How can I put into words how someone has ruined the lives of our whole family in one blow"? She was 7 when #Nicky died. Suddenly I had no little brother anymore. How could that be?"

No day was the same, says Femke. No holiday was the same and she didn't trust anyone. Nor did boyfriends. I was still alone in the world.

Her once cheerful parents were suddenly just a lump of misery and sadness, says Femke. Did he last long? Has he been afraid? Has he been in pain? Has he cried out for us?"

"To all these questions you have to answer Jos B.. You owe us that. As long as you don't want to explain here how all your dna is on #Nicky's clothes, you are the killer for us."

"You've ruined our lives. You took #Nicky away from us, my little brother, us everything. To me you're not human, you're a monster," says Femke.

Jos B.: "If I would have lost my sister like that, I would have reacted the same way. But I have no answers to the questions."

Mother Berthie comes forward. She is also speaking on behalf of her husband Peet. "22 years, 8 weeks and 3 days ago our lives were completely ruined", she says.

Berthie:"Since the day Nicky disappeared, not a day has gone by without pain, without sorrow and without longing for our Nick. We have counted all the dark days we haven't seen Nick."

Every day the family lit a candle next to #Nicky's picture. More than 8000 in total. They visited Nicky's grave thousands of times. Each time with the question: Why? Why?"

After the family lost #Nicky, the life of sister Femke would never be carefree again, Berthie says. The wound remains. Even now Femke herself is an adult and a mother.

Since the death of Nicky, the family no longer celebrates festive days at all. They never go on holiday. It would only emphasise the lack of a dear family member, Berthie says. "We're actually living only in the past."

Now they can only fantasise what kind of man #Nicky would have become. We'll never know. Nicky will stay 11 years forever. Only 11 years because a grown man, a big guy, didn't control himself and grabbed him."

Berthie calls Jos B. "a predator who was hunting for prey. You are responsible for our suffering, you were there. You are the culprit. And what do you do? You're mostly silent."

She accuses Jos B. of cowardice. "The man who was brave enough to kill a child is too cowardly to say anything." Instead, Jos B. came up with a " flimsy little movie that raises more questions than it answers."

Berthie: "And your lawyer just shouting that you're innocent. As if anyone believed that your dna ended up all by itself on the inside of #Nicky's pants."

She looks at Jos B. for a long time after her statement. Jos B. says he understands very well how much it must hurt to miss your own child. "I can also imagine very well what it is like to have to wait 22 years."

Jos B.: "Unfortunately, my statement is not what they want to hear. What they would like to hear. I can't make any other statement.

He would have liked to make a statement earlier, says Jos B. What stopped him? "Fear of what it would do to my own life," Jos B.says.

"In hindsight" he should have done it sooner, says Jos B. He repeats that it was fear. The president pushes on. Jos B.: "It was obvious that he had died. Then I should have reported that I had found a deceased child."

The chairman says he doesn't understand the fear. You had a vice past, but you didn't know if #Nicky had been sexually abused. Jos B. says he was "unable to contribute anything" because the child was already dead.

Prosecutor Mattheijs says he will need all day tomorrow for the indictment. Five hours speaking time, with the necessary breaks. And then around 5 o'clock the penalty.

That was it for today. We will continue tomorrow.

BBM

The right to speak is a great good. So is the presumption of innocence.

I am surprised, appaled even, that the presiding judge did not interfere when words like coward, heartless, monster, predator, culprit were used against the defendant.

The word that comes to mind is bias.

Thursday, October 8, fifth day in court, continued.

Prosecutors Paul Emmen and Dave Mattheijs will begin the closing arguments in about 10 minutes in the Nicky Verstappen case. That will take all day. The public prosecutors expect to present the indictment against Jos B. around 5 o'clock.

Jos B. is being prosecuted for the kidnapping, sexual abuse and killing of 11-year-old Nicky in 1998 and for possession of child *advertiser censored*.

The hearing has resumed. Public prosecutor Emmen is already ready behind the microphone.

The prosecutors have also made a power point to support their closing arguments.

"Nicky Verstappen will always be 11 years old", prosecutor Emmen kicks off. "He went to summer camp with friends and never came home." The Public Prosecutor's Office outlines the search that got under way. And the find of Nicky on Tuesday evening. Dead.

"The fact that this case has gained so much publicity is mainly because it is so special," according to prosecutor Emmen. "It is every parent's nightmare. Summer camps are places of fun. Not of death and fear."

What was also special was that the camp leadership turned out to have a moral history. They had either been abusers, or they had been abused. That took away the innocence even further from the summer camp, the Public Prosecutor says.

So the suspicion first fell on the camp leaders. Wrongly, says Public Prosecutor Emmen. The search lasted twenty years and dna investigations followed. And the parents and Peter R. de Vries made sure that the case never disappeared under the radar, says Emmen.

The Public Prosecutor's Office mentions Nicky's companions who, after his disappearance, were lying in fear in the tent thinking: "What if I ... ...."?

"Really everything about this case is news. Reporters are tumbling over each other in obtaining breaking news," according to prosecutor Emmen. "The lives of his parents and sister changed forever since that fateful day."

For 22 years, the family has been struggling with the uncertainty about what happened to Nicky, Emmen says. All those years they have been walking around with questions. According to Emmen, with hindsight it can be said that the investigation could have been done better on certain points. "But there was never any unwillingness."

He outlines the large-scale dna investigation among thousands of men. More than 15,000 men showed up. He also mentions the tips with which the research team "was inundated."

The dna investigation was the ultimate and final attempt to find the perpetrator. Emmen: "What if it had been a foreign truck driver in transit? And then came the dna-match."

The dna-match was kept quiet for a while in the hope that the perpetrator could be caught quickly. But Jos B. was missing without a trace. Four days after the judicial authorities announced the dna-match and published the photo and name of Jos B., he was arrested in Spain.

As far as the Public Prosecutor's Office is concerned, Jos B. is not only the suspect, but the perpetrator. The only one. As far as the Public Prosecution is concerned, there is irrefutable proof for the kidnapping, sexual abuse and killing.

Yet the Public Prosecutor's Office has "not been able to get the bottom of the matter," prosecutor Emmen says. Not all events can be completed from minute to minute, not even from hour to hour. There is only one who can do that, says the Public Prosecutor: Jos B.

Emmen blames Jos B. for "putting on a play" in the video statement. What he says is no explanation for the dna that was found on Nicky's pants, according to the Public Prosecutor.

Jos B. "has played a game and has kept the parents, sister and the prosecutor under the illusion for a long time that he would come up with an explanation. But he didn't," the DA says.

Jos B. did not tell the whole story about the events, says the DA Emmen. But as far as the Public Prosecutor's Office is concerned, it is not necessary to know exactly what happened in 1998. According to Emmen, the Public Prosecutor can show anyway that Jos B. is guilty of the death of Nicky.

The officers have an indictment of 80 pages. Including breaks, the presentation will certainly take up most of the day.

Public Prosecutor Emmen starts with the evidence reasoning in brief. Four offences which, according to the prosecutor, are all legally and convincingly proven: Qualified manslaughter, sexual abuse, deprivation of liberty and possession of child *advertiser censored*.

According to Prosecutor Emmen it is clear that Jos B. killed Nicky after he had sexually abused him. It is clear that Jos B. can expect a hefty requisition at the end of the day.

No cause of death has been established with Nicky. But that does not mean that a life offence cannot be proven, the prosecutor says. All circumstances, the way he was found, the way his clothes were worn, have to be taken into account.

According to the prosecutor, sexual abuse involving penetration has been established. There are no witnesses to the crime of life, so the evidence must come from the forensic investigation, says the prosecutor.

Dna from several people was found on Nicky. These were profiles that were found only once. Only from unknown man 2, who later turned out to be Jos B., dna was found several times in all sorts of places. That dna was "crime-related", the prosecutor says.

Others initially came into the picture, but their dna could also have gotten onto the child's clothing through "innocent contact", the prosecutor says. The only explanation for Jos B.'s dna was that it had to belong to the perpetrator.

Because Jos B.'s trial position became untenable, he recorded a video statement saying that he had found Nicky dead. And that his dna had also been left behind through innocent contact.

Prosecutor Emmen had expected Jos B. to remain silent until the end. The court was insistent, told Jos B. that he himself held the key to his prison cell if he gave a plausible explanation.

It seems that the defence and Jos B. did everything they could to get their hands on the key to the prison cell. According to the Public Prosecutor's Office, it seems that the accused wants to testify, but is not allowed by his lawyer.

The Public Prosecutor's Office is fiercely appealing to lawyer Roethof. Says that Jos B. gives the impression that he is walking on eggshells to avoid saying anything incriminating. And Roethof has put together a "wafer-thin and unbelievable" video statement.

The video message does not explain the dna that was found in several places on #Nicky's pants, says the prosecutor. Those pants were under the pajama trousers. While Jos B. said that he was only tidying up the clothes a little.

The Public Prosecutor first discusses the dna investigation. The importance of dna is obvious for the investigation. Since 1998 the dna investigation has made a huge leap forward."

Dna investigation is an indispensable part of serious crimes, the prosecutor says. That is "because of the "special personal distinguishing capacity", says Prosecutor Emmen.

Whereas a large amount of dna was still needed in 1998 to be able to carry out research, nowadays a lot of information can be derived from small amounts, the prosecutor sketches Emmen.

The dna investigation in the #Nicky case is illustrated.

EjyugBNXYAMPp_X

Three dna investigations were carried out: first in 1999 among 37 men. Then in 2009 among 107 men. And finally in 2015 a dna-kinship investigation was started, which ultimately led to Jos B.

Break for 20 minutes.

BBM

Public Prosecutor Emmen now goes back in time with a sketch of the situation in 1998: the summer camp on the Brunssummerheide, the tent of the Nightriders as Nicky's group was called. That tent was on the edge of the terrain.

The children had gone swimming the day before. It was warm. When the next morning at 8 o'clock the reveil was sounded, Nicky turned out to be missing. His companions had already noticed that, but the children were not allowed to leave their tent before 8 o'clock.

The camp leadership was not immediately very alarmed, according to prosecutor Emmen. Apparently Nicky had quarrelled with his friends and had threatened to run away. It was assumed that he would come back.

When it became clear that Nicky was not coming back soon, a search was started. More than a day after his disappearance he was found in a spruce forest, at 1400 meters from the summer camp. He had died.

A man-made clearing was found in a corn field. Corn stalks had been cut down, and a tissue with sperm from an unknown man and a crown cap were lying there.

A little further on the police found a tissue with remains of human stools. The spot in the corn field became crime scene 2. The place with the second tissue was crime scene 3.

The tissue on PD3 contained a woman's stool. The sperm of the unknown man on PD2 remained of unknown origin. The dna did not match with dna in the national database.

In 2008 the Netherlands Forensic Institute succeeded in securing 2 complete dna profiles on Nicky's pants. Of unknown man 3 dna was found on 1 spot. From unknown man 2 at several places.

A new dna examination was carried out. In vain. In 2012 the case was re-examined. In 2013 a whole new investigation team was put on the case to guarantee that the case was looked at with a fresh look.

That new team ultimately brought about the breakthrough in the case, says Prosecutor Emmen. They looked at all the investigations carried out so far and digitalised thousands of documents in search of loose ends.

In 2017, the adhesive films used to secure fibres and hairs in 1998 were also examined. This yielded dna from NN4 and NN5.

The dna kinship research was "the ultimate remedy", says OvJ Emmen: the ultimate last attempt to solve the case. 15,000 people took part.

The profiles of NN4 and NN5 were "incomplete profiles". Justice was faced with the question of which of all the identified profiles should be included in the kinship investigation. Most of the dna was from NN2.

In previous years, many dna donors who had had "innocent contact" with #Nicky had already been excluded. NN2's dna seemed to indicate "prolonged and intensive" contact with the child's clothing. However, according to experts, this could also be an innocent contact.

Because of the amount of dna, special attention was paid to this NN2. Less dna from NN3 was found, but there were traces on Nicky's clothing. That profile was also included in the investigation.

For NN4 and NN5 only incomplete profiles were available, and also very few. The profile of NN1, the tissue with sperm in the corn field, was included in the study.

The investigation team made a list of names of men who regularly came to or near the Brunssummerheide, or had a moral history, to compare their dna with the profiles found. They were not obliged to cooperate.

Map of the origin of men who were identified as 'persons of interest'. They were invited to participate in autosomal dna investigations.

Ejy6AkcWAAAPSEV

They were 'no suspects', but so-called 'persons of interest', says ECJ Emmen. Jos B. was also on that list of 1350 names. Because he regularly came on the moor in 1998 and had a vice history.

From that list men were found to have died, or to have been abroad. In the end the dna of 1000 men was investigated. Jos B. was one of those men abroad.

For the kinship investigation 21.000 people were invited.

It turned out to be quite a challenge to determine who should be approached for the large-scale kinship research. It turned out that many men had moved from the area, or had died in the meantime.

Prosecutor Dave Mattheijs takes over. And is going to talk about the forensic facts.

The Public Prosecutor's Office will soon be giving many detailed explanations to show that Jos B. is the perpetrator of the combined crime of vice and life.

For the Public Prosecution Service it has also been established that this combined crime of vice and life was committed by one offender: Jos B. The very nature and extent of the dna evidence does not allow any other conclusion, according to Public Prosecutor Mattheijs.

Jos B. leans with his forearms on the table in front of him and looks at the prosecutor. His lawyer Roethof has the text of the indictment on his lap and underlines parts with a pen.

As far as the Public Prosecution Service is concerned, the overall picture of the investigation into all dna shows that Jos B.'s dna could only have come into contact with Nicky's pants through intensive contact.

Nicky was lying in a fenced plot known as the 'Christmas tree forest'. He was lying in a "typical twisted posture, on his back," says the prosecutor. People who found him said it looked like he had been put there.

The Public Prosecutor has long considered showing the images, but out of piety with the family decided not to do so.

The child was barefoot. His shoes were still in the tent. He only wore pants and pyjama trousers. These were both inside-out and backwards.

An entomological examination - for insects and eggs - was carried out to determine the time of death.

The investigation was first done by Naturalis and then by the Netherlands Forensic Institute. The time of death was probably Monday evening. It may also have been earlier, but then his body must have been kept fly-free elsewhere, says the Public Prosecutor.

But according to the Public Prosecutor's Office, the entomological examination has yielded little definite information about the time of death. This had to do with the assumptions made by the investigators, the Public Prosecutor says.

Jos B. listens attentively to the indictment of the Public Prosecution Service. Drawing by @PetraUrban

Ejy_tIKWoAEDCeK

The prosecutor goes on about maggots, flies, eggs. Terrible to hear for the next of kin.

The child's body temperature was not taken. According to the Public Prosecutor's Office, "this is not a missed opportunity. The death marks on Nicky are well described and match the posture in which he was found".

This means that Nicky either died on the spot in the spruce bush, or did not move after he was put there, according to prosecutor Mattheijs.

A green spot was also found on Nicky's belly. This is called marbling and is a sign of decomposition that usually occurs between 36 and 72 hours after death at a temperature of 21 degrees Celsius.

What do all the findings say about Nicky's time of death? That may have been early in the morning on Tuesday 11 August, or a little later. It could also have been Monday 10 August, the prosecutor says.

When Nicky was found around 9 o'clock on Tuesday evening, he had already been dead for at least 12 hours and may even have died on Monday, the Public Prosecutor concludes.

The Public Prosecutor is now investigating the overgrowth in the area and the traces found near Nicky.

The traces on Nicky's soles and on his clothing yielded botanical traces - moss, flower stems - that corresponded to the place where he was found.

There are no indications of another crime scene, according to Prosecutor Mattheijs.

Pollen research has also been carried out. There was a corn field and a potato field near the spruce forest. There was a little pollen on the underside of the pajama trousers. This also corresponded to traces at the crime scene.

The traces indicate that he did not walk through the corn field. It cannot be ruled out that he walked through the potato field.

Many forget-me-nots were found on both sides of the pajama trousers.

Prosecutor Mattheijs concludes that the flowers ended up on Nicky's trousers on the spot and that the child was lying on his belly as well as on his back.

No clinical cause of death has been established in Nicky's autopsy. But there are ways to take someone's life without leaving any traces, Prosecutor Mattheijs says.

"There are even examples of people who have been convicted of a life offence without a body ever being found," according to DA Mattheijs.

According to the prosecutor, the evidence for a life offence can be provided in this case.

Forensic doctors carry out investigations on the spot. Pathologists do not attend the PD. At least, not in the Netherlands. This often happens in other countries, says OvJ Mattheijs.

The clinical pathologist-anatomist of the NFI concluded that no cause of death could be established. But a forensic pathologist looks further and investigates the circumstances under which a body is found, says the Public Prosecutor.

The answer to the question of whether there is a life offence is not entirely dependent on determining the cause of death, says the Public Prosecutor Mattheijs. The circumstances of the case are also important.

Although no injuries have been found to explain the death, no illness has been found in Nicky to explain his death, the prosecutor says.

If there is a non-natural death, it would have to be suicide, illness, an accident or a crime. The prosecution is convinced that it is a crime.

There is no evidence of genetic predisposition or cardiac arrhythmia to explain the cause of Nicky's death, says the prosecutor.

Prosecutor Mattheijs first discusses a possible natural death. Very rare in an 11-year-old child. Usually it is known in advance that there is a disease, or it turns out after the autopsy.

A cardiac arrhythmia cannot be ruled out, but is extremely rare in an 11-year-old child, says the Public Prosecutor. "But do the other circumstances in which Nicky was found fit in with such a scenario? No!"

His parents were examined to determine whether there could be a genetic predisposition. It turned out that there was none. "Nicky was hidden in a hard to reach place, in a fenced plot. In a position that gives the impression that he had been laid down. Hidden."

The way he wore his clothes, backwards and inside-out, the position he was in, the traces of a man's dna on his body, all indicate that he did not suddenly die of cardiac arrhythmia, says the prosecutor.

"All that remains is that we are dealing with a non-natural death," the prosecutor says. "In that case there are 4 possibilities: euthanasia, suicide, an accident, or a crime. For the first 3 causes of death there are no indications," the prosecutor notes.

Hypothermia or dehydration were not an issue. It was warm in that August month and Nicky was missing too short a time for dehydration. In addition, other characteristics indicating this were absent.

There were no signs of violence. But obstructing breathing does not have to leave any traces. According to the pathologist, suffocation due to choking, suffocation due to violence on the neck and suffocation due to compression of the chest can be considered.

Nicky's eyes could no longer be examined for point bleeding, says the public prosecutor.

So there is no objectively identifiable medical cause of death. However, according to the prosecutor Mattheijs, the circumstances provide sufficient grounds for a violent death. The only other possibility is that rare cardiac arrhythmia, for which he had no predisposition.

So much for forensic evidence from the Public Prosecution Service for the cause of death.

Break until quarter past 1.

BBM

Prosecutor Emmen will now address the issue of sexual abuse. What happened between Nicky's disappearance and his discovery has remained in limbo for a long time. And the Public Prosecution Service will not be able to give all the answers today either.

The Public Prosecutor is certain that the child has been abused, in whatever manner. Sexual abuse can be more than merely penetration, says Prosecutor Emmen.

There were mucous membrane haemorrhages and wounds that were not the result of death and decomposition, according to the prosecutor. The findings may indicate anal penetration.

The prosecutor passes on the statements of the various experts, including Rob Bilo, the forensic doctor who was here at the hearing.

There is no difference of opinion that an extremely dilated anus is a normal post-mortem phenomenon, says DA Emmen. We don't argue that either. But the bleeding of the mucous membrane does indicate penetration".

Two pathologists saw the injuries with their own eyes. One of them died. The other experts had to judge on the basis of photographs. As a result, they had hesitations and came to less far-reaching conclusions, the Public Prosecutor's Office says.

The pathologists could not say what kind of penetration took place. But the pathologists ruled out hard stools as the cause, says the Public Prosecutor.

That there was a sexual offence is also evident from the way Nicky wore his pants and pyjama trousers backwards and inside out.

But even without evidence of penetration, sexual abuse followed by a life offence can "be proven beyond doubt", according to the Prosecutor Emmen.

Prosecutor Emmen is now once again outlining the dna investigation into the clothing. This was done again a few years ago, with techniques that have since advanced. Last week he explained this in detail by means of a 3D presentation of the pants.

Nicky's sister, Femke, was not in the courtroom this morning, but has since moved back in with her parents Peet and Berthie.

The traces that were found were skin flakes, hairs and saliva traces of Jos B., who was then still referred to as the unknown NN2. Last night, lawyer Roethof at @devooravondtv denied to my surprise that saliva had been found.

Lawyer Roethof also denied at @devooravondtv that the court had told Jos B. that his dna on the pants was perhaps "crying out for an explanation". But the court did say that.

Dna of Jos B. was found in 23 profiles on Nicky's body, pajama and pants. All other dna traces came from innocent contact (laundry folded and similar), occurred only sporadically, or were incomplete, according to the prosecutor.

The final conclusion regarding the dna investigation: On Nicky's clothing and body dna of 4 persons was found. The profiles of 2 persons were incomplete. The dna of NN2 (Jos B.) was found at 27 locations.

No matter how broad and objective the dna examinations were carried out, Jos B.'s dna in particular was always found. That dna of Jos B. /NN2 "was literally everywhere", says the Public prosecutor Emmen.

NN2, in other words Jos B.'s dna, is found on 13 of the 31 areas of Nicky's pants examined. Jos B.'s dna was even in more places than Nicky's own dna, says prosecutor Emmen.

The dna was not only found in many samples, but also in many places, says ECJ Emmen. Places like the crotch. That's even more telling than the number of traces, according to the prosecutor.

Nowadays sex offenders are aware of the danger they leave dna behind, "but this was 1998. For criminals dna was still a blind spot", according to prosecutor Emmen.

Other people's dna found at Nicky's was less relevant, says Prosecutor Emmen. These were not traces left behind during the commission of the crime.

No connection was found between the tissue with sperm in the corn field and Nicky, according to prosecutor. Emmen. The profiles of NN4 and NN5 were incomplete. No research could be carried out into these.

Several people were approached who could have had legitimate contact with Nicky and left dna behind. That exclusion investigation took a lot of time.

These included Nicky's friends from the tent, Nicky's parents, people from the military police, the police, NFI, residents of Heibloem and even the driver who took the children to the moors. There was no match.

We have gone to great lengths to identify the profiles of NN3 and NN2," says the prosecutor. In vain. Up until the kinship investigation. That gave a match with NN2: Jos B., who until then had only been a so-called 'person of interest'.

The impression that the judiciary and police 'hunted down Jos B.' from the start is unfounded, the Prosecutor says. He was a 'person of interest', but only 1 of the 1350 we wanted to investigate.

Jos B. was one of the men invited to participate in dna research. He did not respond. The invitations ended up at his old address. His mother was admitted to a nursing home, Jos B. was travelling through Europe.

His sister spoke to Jos B. at the time. Her brother wanted to cooperate in the investigation, she said. But after that the silence began. As of February 2018, the sister was no longer in contact with Jos B. She reported him missing.

Jos B. was supposed to come to the Netherlands to say goodbye to his terminally ill mother, his sister told the police. But he did not come. The sister was asked to cooperate in the dna investigation. She didn't want that. Neither did her other sister.

An investigation was carried out to see whether there were any male relatives of Jos B. who were willing to take part in the dna investigation, to exclude or include their family member. Two family members cooperated in May 2018.

At the end of 2018, the NFI reported a "full match" with the dna found on Nicky's body. NN2 was Jos B. He was identified as a suspect.

From that moment on NN2 was officially Jos B.
NN stands for Nomen Nescio, Latin for Name unknown.

Break of fifteen minutes.

BBM

The trial has resumed. The public prosecutor is now going to speak about the valuation of all the dna evidence.

There was still a possibility "that we had missed people," Prosecutor Emmen says. But all the traces that were found were "completely overshadowed" by the amount of dna from Jos B. and the 27 places where that dna was found, especially on Nicky's briefs.

The mere finding of a dna profile does not mean that it automatically involved traces of perpetrators. But according to prosecutor Emmen, these were not "innocent traces". The explanation Jos B. gave for them in the video is " not believable."

Most of Jos B.'s dna was in and on the underwear. Jos B.'s testimony that he tidied up the clothing a little and wiped away leaves is absolutely no explanation for the dna on and in Nicky's pants, says Emmen.

So far the defence has only touched on other possibilities, says Emmen, such as contamination: contamination by, for example, incorrectly securing the dna. "Smokescreens," according to the prosecutor.

Prosecutor Emmen: "We can't come up with an alternative innocent scenario that fully explains the dna on the underwear." A pair of pants that was also under the pajama trousers, the prosecutor stressed.

If Jos B.'s story is true, then there should have been another offender who abused and killed Nicky before Jos B. found him. Prosecutor: "That person may have been wearing gloves. But it was 1998, dna investigation was in its infancy."

Criminals still knew little about dna, but according to prosecutor Emmen in '98 there was really enough knowledge among the professionals to preserve the traces well. There is no indication that contamination has occurred.

Prosecutor also mentions it unlikely that all dna traces ended up on the pants during the examination of the pajama trousers.

Prosecutor Emmen: "In addition, Jos B.'s dna has been found in many forms. And if there was contamination, why was other people's dna found in only one place?"

Even if there had been some degree of 'stamping' - transferring dna from one place to another with microfilm that was used to remove traces from surfaces - that still doesn't explain the amount of Jos B., says the prosecutor.

Jos B.'s dna was transferred through "direct and intensive contact, for which there is no innocent explanation," the prosecutor says.

The fact that Jos B.'s dna was transferred through direct contact adds to the suspicion that he was involved in Nicky's non-natural death, the DA says.

Prosecutor Emmen: The fact that Jos B.'s dna was found in more places than Nicky's own dna when he was wearing the pants is in itself a striking fact.

Nicky's dna was also found almost everywhere in a blended profile with that of Jos B. In 3 samples only Nicky's dna was found, in 3 others only that of Jos B. There were 16 blended profiles of dna of Jos B. and Nicky together.

This provides more evidence for a sex crime than for an innocent rearrangement of clothing, as Jos B. stated in his video message. The prosecutor ignores this video statement. "This statement is not credible," according to prosecutor Emmen.

"The only way to explain Jos B.'s dna in all its facets is through direct contact," says prosecutor Emmen. These are traces of the perpetrator that indicate, among other things, the groping of Nicky's genitals.

The evidence for the sex offense also makes Jos B. the perpetrator of the crime of life, says Emmen. His colleague Mattheijs takes over again and starts discussing the tactical evidence after forensics.

Jos B. literally and figuratively cycled into the file after the body was found. He explained to the military police that he was delivering letters.

Jos B. was no more and no less than a casual passer-by at the time, prosecutor Mattheijs mentions. The investigation focused in particular on the camp leadership. Several of the leaders had a moral history. No reason to suspect an accidental cyclist.

Can Jos B.'s video statement be correct? According to prosecutor Mattheijs it is not known when it was recorded and it has all the characteristics of a story that was later fabricated. Nor does it offer any new information.

"Jos B.'s statement does not contain any verifiable new element," according to prosecutor Mattheijs. "The statement needs no further investigation," he says, "because it is implausible and adds nothing to what is already known."

If Jos B.'s statement is correct, "How much bad luck can you have as Nicky? That you are first abused by a paedophile man who kills you and then found by another paedophile man who just leaves you lying there? Utopian", according to the prosecutor.

This suspect has proved capable of telling untruth. He kept the family and his interrogators on the line during 14 interrogations in 2 years, according to prosecutor Mattheijs. The video statement is "a rehearsed play."

The emotions of Jos B. in the message are mainly about what happened to him, according to the prosecutor. He says he wants to help the parents, but constantly invokes his right to remain silent.

Lawyer Roethof repeatedly referred to Jos B.'s right to remain silent 'in a rather coercive manner', the prosecutor says. "Why did he do that? Why did he do so? Did he fear that the accused would talk too much?"

Prosecutor Mattheijs again returns to Jos B.'s remark that "something" caught his attention when he was peeing. "A curious man will only look if there is something special. If you've seen something." But Jos B. couldn't see Nicky from where he was standing, according to the prosecutor.

Prosecutor Mattheijs: "What did he see? Apparently it wasn't so conspicuous that he remembers it. He couldn't see Nicky from where he was urinating."

Jos B. did not want to say anything about what exactly caught his attention. Not if he saw anything, not if he heard anything, not if he smelled anything.

The men who found Nicky only saw the little boy when they were already close by, says the prosecutor. Jos B. said that he sat next to the child for a moment and became frightened. Exactly why he could not explain.

Jos B.'s explanation "lacks a beginning of plausibility and must therefore be set aside," says prosecutor Mattheijs.

According to prosecutor Mattheijs, Jos B. could not have known, only at best suspected, that Nicky had been found when he was held up on the heath by the military police.

We are on page 90 of the total of 123 of the indictments (and not 80 as I reported earlier). The last 10 pages would be attachments. So we'll be here for over an hour, I guess.

Prosecutor Mattheijs now goes into the incidents in 1984 and 1984, the groping of 3 boys who were the same age as Nicky in 1998. Those cases were dismissed, on the condition that Jos B. would get therapy treatment.

The old file is of importance for the Nicky case, according to prosecutor Mattheijs. These incidents also took place within a radius of 10 kilometres of Jos B.'s house, with boys aged around 11 and involving the use of sudden violence. "Fits seamlessly on the 1998 picture", the prosecutor concludes.

Jos B. confessed to those facts at the time. As far as the prosecutor is concerned, they constitute supporting evidence in the Nicky case, according to prosecutor Mattheijs.

Also in 1984 and 1985 Jos B. kept the boys under control by putting his hand on their mouths. But if you do something like that for too long, it leads to suffocation. Supporting evidence, according to prosecutor Mattheijs.

Jos B. also let his hand slip into the boys' pants at the time. The dna trace of 1998 shows that he must have done the same to Nicky. The same modus operandi, according to the prosecutor.

The fact that Jos B. confessed at the time that he was attracted to boys aged around 11 is also powerful supporting evidence, according to the prosecutor.

Jos B. knew that his dna had been found on Nicky because he had "had direct contact with the boy." He therefore had a reason to flee, Mattheijs says.

Jos B. "deliberately made himself untraceable", the prosecutor says. He now elaborates on that with a powerpoint that shows the timeline of Jos B.'s flight.

Jos B. deliberately went astray in order not to be found, says prosecutor Mattheijs. He said he was going for a hike in the Vosges, but left for Spain.

Short summary of the OM's timeline: Jos B. realised that the net was closing in on him and took off without letting people know where he was going. He left his phone behind and seemed to have disappeared from the face of the earth. Until his arrest on 26 August 2018.

He deliberately wanted to evade the dna test. "You only do that if you realise that this could lead to a match," says prosecutor Mattheijs.

Pause until half past five. Then the last part of the indictment, which will take another hour or so.

BBM

The case is being resumed. The last part of the indictment. Prosecutor Emmen stands ready to proceed again.

Prosecutor Emmen starts in 2002, Ollekebolleke, which was a childcare centre in Brunssum where Jos B. worked from 1994 to March 2002. A mother of a toddler heard that Jos B. would have had his hand in her knickers.

On 5 March 2002 Jos B. disappeared with the northern sun. He didn't even hand in his keys anymore and never returned to the nursery. Not much later he turned out to be in Poland where he remained for at least a year.

According to OvJ Emmen it was "a hasty departure". That would be apparent from the letter he wrote to his mother asking her not to tell anyone where he was. Nor to his sister.

Jos B. asked his mother to destroy the letter. Prosecutor Emmen: "Luckily for us, she didn't." Why is Ollekebolleke relevant? Because a pattern is emerging, says the prosecutor. The flight to Spain in 2018 and his flight to Poland years earlier.

The arrest of Jos B. in 2018, led to "the rediscovery of 2 witnesses", says prosecutor Emmen. These were the witnesses who walked their dog on the moors. They saw a man cycling with a boy on the back seat of the bike.

Near the witnesses, the boy dropped off the bike into the verge. He looked at the witnesses, but he said nothing. The cyclist shouted: "Are you coming?" The little boy got up and climbed on the back of the bike again.

One of the witnesses at the time was 15. She especially noticed that the boy was barefoot. Her parents would never allow her to be barefoot.

The witness reported to the police when she saw a photo of Nicky and recognised him as the boy on the bicycle. She did not feel treated properly by the police, who did not seem to take her seriously. She heard nothing more from the police.

The witness made another statement a while later about what she had seen, but again she heard nothing more from the police.

It turned out that the report had been noted somewhere, but apparently the police did not take it seriously. The witness only made her report after a few weeks, because at first she thought it concerned a father with his son.

Twenty years after that, the witnesses came forward again. All those years, one of the witnesses did not recognize Nicky Verstappen's photo. She did recognize the photo of Jos B. which was published in 2018.

The 2018 statement differed from the statements 20 years earlier. "The memory is not infallible", says the prosecutor. One witness could not describe Jos B. at the time, but said she could recognise him.

That nothing was done with the report can be explained, the prosecutor continues. In cases like this the police are often inundated with reports that are by no means all relevant. Moreover, the report came when the investigation team was already scaling down.

Did the witnesses really see Nicky and Jos B.? One witness was an adult woman who recognised Nicky from the photographs as early as 1998. She recognised Jos B. in 2018 based on the photos.

For the 15-year-old witness at the time, what she saw in 1998 was not so special at all. It wasn't as well remembered by her. But she did recognise the man on the bicycle as Jos B. in 2018.

According to OvJ Emmen this means that Nicky was still alive between 10 and 11 o'clock on 11 August 1998. And that there was also "discomfort on his part", says OvJ Emmen, as evidenced by the fact that he jumped off the bike.

Prosecutor Emmen is now talking about witnesses who heard a child shouting. "Mama!", or something similar. That came from a place at 5 minutes cycling from where the earlier 2 witnesses saw Jos B. and Nicky. And also near the place where the child was later found.

And now OvJ Emmen is going to give a summary of what he said before.

In order to prove qualified manslaughter, it is necessary to be able to prove that Nicky was killed in order to facilitate or conceal another crime.

According to the Public Prosecutor's Office, there is no indication that there were two different perpetrators. One who abused him and the other who killed him. The sex crime cannot be dissociated from the killing of Nicky. According to the Public Prosecutor's Office, there was one offender.

As far as the prosecution is concerned, all the facts have been proven. Including the unlawful deprivation of liberty. According to prosecutor Emmen, the fact that Nicky jumped off a bicycle shows that he was not voluntarily riding on the back of the bicycle.

Prosecutor Emmen goes on to discuss the accused possession of child *advertiser censored*.

Visiting websites about bush raids was always alternated with visiting *advertiser censored* sites, often until late into the night, according to Prosecutor Emmen. Search terms indicating a preference for very young children and violence were used, such as 'Very young boys forced'.

Several images were child pornographic in nature. On 12 December 2018, Jos B. confessed to the possession of the child *advertiser censored*. He sometimes downloaded something and then came up with content that was not intended. He set this aside for later deletion.

But the defence that the *advertiser censored* was bycatch, the prosecutor does not believe that. He scoured the internet for child *advertiser censored* and deliberately downloaded 663 pictures. The prosecutor does not believe that other people sometimes used his computer.

He had already obtained such images when the computer was still in the house in Simpelveld. There Jos B. lived alone with his mother, who was visually impaired.

So Jos B. still considers young boys to be an object of lust, the prosecutor concludes.

DA Mattheijs takes over for the last part of the indictment.

This suspect has repeatedly stated that he feels sexually attracted to young boys. He said to have this under control, until 1984 and 1985. Then he made a mistake with 3 boys, after which he panicked, the prosecutor says.

The fact that he was still attracted to young boys is evident from the discovery of child *advertiser censored* on his computer, according to prosecutor Mattheijs.

Jos B. also sought the company of young boys. Setting a fox to watch the geese. "As if an alcoholic is going to work in a liquor store and is standing behind the bar of the football club in the evening".

"Seeking out young boys was not punishable. Yet it was morally reprehensible," according to prosecutor Mattheijs.

Jos B. stayed at the Pieter Baan Centre for 6 weeks. He was there for the investigation whether he suffered from a disorder that determined his actions and from which he could not escape.

The experts of the PBC could not determine a disorder and could not say anything about his imputability. However, the prosecution disputes the fact that there is nothing wrong. The experts do say that Jos B. is a paedophile.

The experts cannot establish whether there was a loss of control in Jos B. This could not be done "because this suspect has refused to cooperate in the necessary examination," according to the prosecutor.

The prosecutor once again points to Jos B.'s preference for child *advertiser censored* with an element of violence.

Prosecutor Mattheijs: We are dealing with a paedophile who did not cooperate in the investigation. "It burdens me and there is nothing I can do about it," said Jos B."

The prosecution is convinced that Jos B. was suffering, was troubled by his paedophile disorder, "according to prosecutor Mattheijs. That this mental disorder has played tricks on him is obvious, according to the prosecutor.

"Jos B. did not control himself in 1984. Not in 1985. And not in 1998," Jos B has said. "Of course there are paedophiles who know how to control themselves, but that is different for this suspect."

Jos B. also recently made victims, says prosecutor Mattheijs, by viewing and possessing child *advertiser censored* for which children are abused.

Witnesses said after Jos B. was arrested that he liked working with children, was good at "entertaining". That he had paedophile feelings for them did not occur to them. But that was during the period in which he downloaded child *advertiser censored*, says the prosecutor.

Jos B. "suffered to some extent from his paedophilia disorder," concludes prosecutor Mattheijs. He goes on to talk about the danger of repetition. Experts estimate this to be moderate because he did not come into contact with the judiciary after 1985.

According to the prosecutor Jos B. "should not reap the benefits of the defendant's refusal to cooperate in the investigation. Can we rest assured that Jos B. does not repeat himself? Pedophilia cannot be cured."

That is why the prosecutor wants him to be sentenced to a term of imprisonment as well as tbs with coercive treatment.

In any case, according to the prosecutor Jos B. cannot be fully blamed for the facts. Hence the tbs with coercive treatment.

Now to the sentencing considerations and then the demand.

The prosecutor: "It is more than 22 years after that awful day on which Nicky disappeared and was found dead a day later. He will always be 11 years old. Will always be missed in the house of the Verstappen family."

"Nicky's life has stopped. There will always be a picture of an 11-year-old boy, while there should be a picture of an adult man of 33 in the room," the prosecutor says.

"Jos B. fed the family's hope that he would come up with answers, but it turned out to be vain hope," the prosecutor continues. He has chosen to remain silent since 1998 and he has always done so.

He could have prevented 16,000 men from donating their dna, but he opted for his own interests, the prosecutor says. He abused and killed Nicky.

In 1998 the legislation was that the maximum prison sentence for qualified manslaughter was 20 years or life imprisonment. In 1998 he would not have been sentenced to life imprisonment, says the prosecutor.

The Public Prosecutor demands a 15-year prison term and coercive sentences against Jos B. for kidnapping, sexual abuse and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen and possession of child *advertiser censored*.

As far as the Prosecution is concerned, the tbs-treatment may not start until after serving two thirds of the prison sentence. If the court does not impose tbs, the Prosecution demands 18 years imprisonment.

Jos B. does not respond visibly. He only shrugs his shoulders a little. The case continues on Monday at half past 9 with the defence by lawyer Gerald Roethof.

BBM

Meanwhile, we are already on Monday, and since 9.30 hrs this morning, defence counsel Gerald Roethof is busy ripping the claims of de Prosecution to pieces. All of them and then some more. It is nearly 17.00 hrs local time now and he is still at it.

I'll see what I can manage today.... :eek: :eek:

Monday, October 12, sixth day in court

In over half an hour, the sixth day of criminal proceedings against Jos B., suspected of kidnapping, sexual abuse and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in August 1998, will begin.

Today, the entire day has been set aside for the defence's plea. Lawyer Gerald Roethof assists defendant Jos B.

Last week, the public prosecutor demanded a prison sentence of 15 years and tbs with coercive treatment against Jos B. Should the court decide not to impose tbs, the Public Prosecutor wants Jos B. to be sentenced to 18 years imprisonment.

The case has started. Jos B. is once again sitting next to lawyer Gerald Roethof. They are separated from each other by a plexiglass window due to corona.

"In the end it has turned out to be more than I had thought," says Roethof. He starts by talking about the next of kin and says " not to be blind to the grief of the family Verstappen. Without looking behind me, I feel the pain and sorrow of the family".

"It is the nightmare for every parent", Roethof says. Your child is found dead "and then, after 22 years, don't get the clarity you want". He expresses his respect for the dignified way in which the family behaves.

Roethof: "But is there a perpetrator here in front of you today? Can it be established at all that the facts that the Public Prosecutor accused my client of have indeed taken place?"

" When in doubt, you must acquit", Roethof says. However sad the case may be, the court must look at the facts, the lawyer says. It must be possible to establish that an offence has been committed.

The conclusions of the experts actually say enough, says Roethof. If you need so many people to find out whether or not a sexual offence has been committed, or a life offence, then you know: it's very unclear".

Also in the case of nurse Lucia de B. there was, according to Roethof, "a tsunami of experts". She was wrongly convicted, as it turned out later. In this case, all the experts agree that abuse and violence cannot be established.

According to Roethof, the reasoning was directed towards Jos B. "Look at his past. Look at the course of his life. To what is stored on his computers. That made Jos B. the most ideal suspect."

According to Roethof, in spite of all the media attention and all the investigation, no one has stepped forward who says: "Jos B. has also tried something with me. And that in the Me too age. Isn't that striking? With this suspect the past is the past."

Nothing has come to light about new offences, says Roethof. The prosecutors have, according to the lawyers, forgotten what it should be all about: legal and convincing evidence.

According to Roethof, the public prosecutors have turned the whole thing around: They have tried to massage the conviction first and then try to produce the evidence. If it were up to me, the court would not go along with that".

Jos B.'s right to remain silent is his right, says Roethof. " That should not be used against him. He is not abusing his right, it is not forbidden", says Roethof.

The fact that the Public Prosecutor's Office criticises the use of that right to remain silent is, in Roethof's view, excessive. And the Public Prosecution Service goes even further, in his view, by criticising the lawyer, says Roethof. Last week the officers said that Roethof pointed out Jos B. "in a compelling manner to his right to remain silent."

A lawyer does his job, Roethof says. And that work is assisting a suspect. Jos B. makes use of his right to remain silent because that is his right, Roethof stresses.

In the past, confessions were enforced by placing suspects on the rack, says Roethof. That resulted in unreliable statements.

Roethof says that the rights of suspects have been increasingly eroded in recent years. But the right to remain silent has remained upright. That is striking."

Our legislator therefore still fully supports the right to remain silent. "So where does the public prosecutor's office's urge to erode this right come from in this case?" Roethof asks.

There are several examples where declaring suspects has led to unjust convictions, says Roethof. He cites the Schiedammer park murder and the Putten murder case as examples.

Jos B. has been questioned 13 times in this case. According to Roethof, "a lot of things have been tried to make Jos B. testify. There have even been attempts to drive a wedge between me and my client by asking the question: 'Is your lawyer doing okay for you?'"

Roethof also accuses the Public Prosecution Service that his assistance of Jos B. was made more difficult by, for example, scheduling an interrogation on a day when the lawyer had to assist another suspect in another case. The Public Prosecution knew that, but that interrogation was supposedly impossible at another time.

According to Roethof, all those examples are "a sign of weakness" on the part of the prosecution.

Roethof is now talking about the court's remark that Jos B. himself holds the key to his cell if he could give a plausible explanation for his dna on the pants. "It highlights once again the weakness of the case."

Roethof says that it cannot be ruled out that Jos B.'s conduct in court will play a role at some point. That should not be the case and it would not be justified.

Roethof says that a good conversation between lawyer and Jos B. was not possible before he was brought before the examining magistrate. That is why Roethof advised him to remain silent. "A contradictory statement will be used against you".

Roethof: "What do you expect from a lawyer in those circumstances? That he says to his client, who is in custody for the first time in his life for an offence with a life sentence: "Just go and talk?"

About Jos B.'s video statement, Roethof says that the suspect there "speaks straight from the heart. These are authentic emotions".

"If you are so impressed, if the case is so old, then you have to be careful", Roethof says. He implies that there is a real danger that things will be said that are not quite right. Nobody has any interest in that.

Roethof says that, in the case of witnesses, there is always full understanding for the fact that memories fade away. "Why is that understanding available for witnesses and not for Jos B.?

If so much time has passed, then it is logical that memories fade, Roethof says. Research shows that only 30% of suspects then have a consistent story.

In the case against Jos B. the case is reversed, according to Roethof. Jos B. suddenly has to prove his innocence and show how his dna ended up on Nicky's pants. Roethof: "But it is up to the Public Prosecutor to prove his guilt."

The lawyer points out the pitfall of statements being changed because memories are no longer clear. He cites a dissertation stating that unreasonable demands are made on suspects in those cases.

Roethof: "Be careful not to attach too much value to statements made by a suspect who returns to minor points of his statement. I have not seen enough of that caution so far".

Roethof agrees that it "may sound a little selfish", but he does not want Jos B. to be dependent on such factors.

Roethof outlines the dilemma he faced: "What is wisdom? To have my client state, or to deal with the case in a technical-legal way and point out possible alternatives and the lack of legal evidence?"

Without his statement, Jos B. could not be linked to the place where Nicky was found, says Roethof.

Nor could Jos B. be linked to Nicky without his explanation, Roethof believes.

Roethof disputes that the video message was "a rehearsed play", as the Public Prosecutor stated. It was explicitly not.
"It was the first time that client verbally told his story," says Roethof. I would like to say that I was not entirely satisfied on all points. So it was recorded again."

The statement left some questions unanswered, Roethof thought. But in the end the first version was added to the file. This was the way for us to let Jos B. tell his story in peace. Directed? There were many stories to come up with that fitted in better."

Jos B. could also have said that he wiped his hands on Nicky's pants hanging from the clothesline, says Roethof. Or that he wiped his hands and face with a towel in the toilet. "A towel that Nicky used afterwards."

Roethof now mentions the case of camp leader Barten, who was identified as a suspect from the start. The man "wandered around Nicky's tent early in the morning and had disappeared when the children came out of the tent".

Barten had a vice record and told the police he was afraid to be seen as a suspect.

Jos B. could have said anything, says the lawyer. Such as that he folded up and put away clothes lying around. Instead, he gave a statement which placed him at the scene of the crime. Roethof: " This may well be true for that reason alone."

Roethof aims to demonstrate that there is no question of a story being fabricated together with Jos B.. They would have opted for a version in which Jos B. cannot be placed near the Nicky site, he says.

Roethof is now talking about the witnesses who almost got a cyclist on their bonnet at the Brunssummerheide. "I do not rule out that that was my client."

Roethof is still explaining why he advised Jos B. to remain silent. For example, he mentions the tree against which Jos B. was urinating. The Public Prosecutor showed him a photo of a tree. Roethof: "There are so many trees on the heath. Are you trying to make him stumble?"

The Public Prosecutor's Office also insisted on clarity about what exactly attracted Jos B.'s attention when he was urinating. "Did you smell something?" the Public Prosecutor asked. "I can't think of a bigger trick question", says Roethof.

The Public Prosecutor also asked whether Jos B. heard anything. Roethof: "Can you hear a dead boy? What kind of questions are these? Trick questions, that's what they are."

If trained people such as the troopers who stood guard on the moors are heard again years later and are warned about faded memories, why should Jos B. be able to remember everything crystal clear? Roethof asks.

Roethof says that "his attention was drawn by something". He can no longer say 22 years after that what attracted his attention, says Roethof. He points to the damaged vegetation, to the possibility that animals had come towards the body.

Jos B. was used to staying in nature, says Roethof. People like him see more "than we as lawyers from behind the desk. Prick prick, and there comes an animal out of the bushes."

Roethof: "If there is one thing we know about the client, it is that he is a connoisseur of nature and a nature lover."

Roethof also says that the OM "gives a very biased picture about distances." The Public Prosecutor used a programme to measure distances in traffic accidents, says the lawyer. But this is not a traffic accident, is it?

Roethof says he is happy with the role of the media. The Limburger [ newspaper] went to the spot on the heath where Jos B. was standing and where Nicky was found. The lawyer: "There was a real possibility that Jos B. could have seen something 22 years ago."

The public prosecutor argued that Jos B. could not possibly have seen anything in the spruce bush from the place where he was supposedly peeing. But according to Roethof, that is the view of lawyers from behind a desk and does not take into account the situation 22 years ago.

Break until a quarter past 11.

BBM

Monday, October 12, sixth day in court, continued

The trial has resumed. Roethof says that "mistakes are only human and that caution should be exercised when dealing with memories in cold cases". And that in case of doubt a suspect must be acquitted.

That certain matters may "cry out for an explanation" as the court said earlier, is correct, Roethof says. But from whom? He refers again to the interrogation of the trained military troopers. Who also did not remember things exactly.

For example, one of the troopers did not remember whether he had been in the spruce bush and neither of them knew in which direction Nicky's body was lying. "Trained verbalisers," Roethof stresses.

Roethof continues to quote examples. Several policemen/marechaussees no longer knew exactly what they knew from their own observation, or what they had filled in later.

Some police officers stated that Nicky was lying on his stomach. And one also said that the child was wearing blue and white pyjama trousers. Not correct, says Roethof. If these professional officers don't remember things clearly, why should Jos B.?

Roethof warns against "the trap" of automatically assuming that an innocent suspect always acts in a certain way; that someone who is innocent can easily answer questions.

Why did Jos B. not report that he had found Nicky? "Fear," Jos B. said because of his moral record. Roethof: "He had a past with children. And this was a dead child."

Jos B. was with Nicky, he touched the boy and he had a vice past, adds Roethof. Enough reasons to be anxious, according to the lawyer.

The fact that Jos B. didn't know that there was a possibility of sexual abuse and that it is therefore strange that he was afraid with his moral past, is too short-sighted, according to Roethof.

Roethof says that he himself witnessed two attempts at liquidation and a rip deal. "I have not made any statement on either occasion. Is that antisocial? I did not feel like getting involved in a criminal case. Don't take a negative view of something like that too quickly."

By the way, Roethof emphasises that he did help the victims in both cases.

But the fact that Jos B. did not mention the discovery of Nicky's body because he didn't want to get involved is not surprising, according to the lawyer.

Jos B. is more relaxed during his lawyer's plea than he was during last week's indictment by the Public Prosecution Service. Occasionally he nods in agreement with the words of his lawyer.

A colleague from Roethof takes over for the next part of the plea. What exactly are the consequences of a suspect's silence? "According to the Supreme Court, silence should never be seen as evidence."

According to the Supreme Court, only if there is a circumstance that cries out for a statement and that remains unanswered, then that silence can be weighed in someone's disadvantage.

"A case must be provable before a suspect's silence is taken into account,"lawyer Brassé sayd. " No conclusions should be drawn too quickly if someone exercises their right to remain silent."

Judith Brassé says the dna in and on Nicky's pants is "not sufficiently reasonable " to use the right of silence against Jos B. "You can't expect him to explain how certain traces got there."

The jurisprudence of the Supreme Court and also of the European Court is clear on this, says Brassé: a suspect's silence may only be interpreted to his detriment if the evidence against him is strong.

Roethof is already taking over. Says that several witnesses stated that Nicky had said he would run away. And that evidence for 'unlawful deprivation of liberty' by Jos B. cannot be proven.

Six witnesses stated that Nicky had "run away," says Jos B. "How can you dismiss this scenario 22 years later? We have to take that scenario very seriously. There had been an argument with other children."

There had been beating and kicking, between Nicky and another child. Back and forth", says Roethof. That brawl could also explain the injuries that the Public Prosecutor later attributed to the person who killed him.

"Is Nicky's running away unreasonable? Of course it is not. He himself announced it. It's the most plausible scenario," says Roethof. "Around half past 6 in the morning he was still there. Surely you can't say he was taken out of that tent by force or anything like that?"

"Moreover, Nicky was a boy with the several fears who would not let himself be taken away just like that," Roethof says. He wouldn't let himself get dragged along. Impossible. And no one heard anything, no shouting."

"Children do run away sometimes," says Roethof. He points to other examples where that happened. "Every year 25,000 children run away."

The fact that Nicky left his shoes behind means nothing, according to Roethof. They were on the moors, with barefoot paths and bridle paths. According to the lawyer, there are enough children walking around in the countryside barefoot.

Roethof says that he himself deliberately walked barefoot during the inspection on the Brunssummerheide, in order to assess whether the area was accessible barefoot. "It was very easy to do."

The fact that Nicky was found barefoot is not surprising, Roethof says. It was very warm at the time. "A companion said that Nicky had gone to sleep wearing some sort of Ajax jersey, but that he had taken it off".

The Brunssummerheide is also an area where you can easily get lost, says Roethof. Many paths that cross each other.

Roethof points out that Nicky's body temperature was not measured after he was found. As a result, it is not possible to determine exactly when he died.

The entomological examination afterwards calls Roethof "an emergency intervention." That took place 24 hours after the body was found. The time of death was then estimated at around 6 a.m. on the morning of 11 August.

Roethof: "Could my client hide a little boy for 24 hours? And where did he do that? At his mother's home?"

Lawyer Brassé takes over again and discusses the statements of the 2 witnesses who stated to have seen a boy with red trousers who was sitting on the back of a bicycle.

Brassé: ,,Twenty years later they suddenly recognise Jos B. as the cyclist they saw around half past 11 in the morning on 10 August. The Public Prosecutor's Office uses the statements as proof of support. I don't understand that. Would you recognise a person after 20 years?"

One of the witnesses said that they had already recognised the boy as Nicky in 1998, based on the photos that were published. She hesitated to say that because she feared she would come across as a profiteer because of the reward that had been promised.

"But the witness only said in 1998 that she saw an approximately 40 year old man she could not describe walking with a little boy of whom she did not know what he was wearing. No mention of a bare torso," says Brassé.

"Only after 20 years would she suddenly recognise Jos B.," says Brassé. The same goes for the 2nd witness. "The witness statements must be disqualified, says Brassé. "They don't match what the witnesses said in '98."

According to Brassé they are so-called "recovered memories". Legal psychology is extremely critical of this, says Brassé. The bottom line is that those memories are extremely unreliable.

The 2 witnesses were mother and daughter. Only the mother came forward in 1998. The daughter did not. But she would now happen to remember exactly the same thing as her mother. Brassé thinks the statements are both unreliable.

Brassé calls it "remarkable" that the Public Prosecutor apparently does not doubt what the witness says, but does doubt the written account by the police in 1998. According to the prosecution, the police were busy and made a bit of a sloppy assessment.

That's cherry-picking," says Brassé. She accuses the prosecution of wanting to straighten out the inconsistencies in the witness statements. If the witnesses still have it all clearly on their minds, how come they don't know from which direction the cyclist came?

And Brassé also wonders why the witnesses have different opinions about the way in which the little boy was sitting on the back of the bicycle. "Retrieving something from 20 years ago is also almost impossible," Brassé says.

Brassé warns of the "recognition" of Jos B. by the witnesses. Twenty years ago they could not describe him. One witness said the incident was a blind spot. But that 20 years later "the film was replayed" on the basis of Jos B's photograph.

"So that film is not true," Brassé notes about the daughter's memory. "She didn't react to pictures of Nicky Verstappen for 20 years. But after all those years she did click on 1 picture of Jos B."

Brassé says it's not even unusual for people to remember things that never happened. "Evidence has to be completely reliable. Otherwise it doesn't belong in an evidence construction."

The risk of "obfuscation" is life-size with these witness statements, warns Brassé. She points to the testimony of the daughter who did not recognise Nicky in photographs for 20 years. But 20 years later she did.

"The picture did not bring up the memory. The photo has filled in the memory. Unconsciously," Brassé states. "Memories that are so unsettled don't belong in a construction of evidence."

Brassé also mentions the kidnapping scenario as improbable. Have we ever experienced that in the Netherlands, a kidnapping by bicycle?

Brassé: "Jos B. was called a predator here. Has he ever been caught sneaking around at youth camps? No. Could he have dragged Nicky out of the tent?" The lawyer finds that scenario improbable as well.

Roethof takes over again. Summarises a number of cases in which memories of police officers who thought they recognised suspects after a few years were deemed by courts to be unreliable.

"People change in 20 years," Roethof says. He calls it strange that the Public Prosecutor keeps clinging to the scenario of recognition.

Jos B. during the plea of his lawyers Gerald Roethof and Judith Brassé. Drawing by @PetraUrban

EkH2VbYXsAEUw-T

Break until half past 1.

BBM

Monday, October 12, sixth day in court, continued

The trial will be resumed in a moment. The family of #Nicky Verstappen is not coming to the courtroom for a while because of the sensitive issues that the defence is now apparently going to discuss.

Roethof is going to address the alleged sexual abuse of Nicky. And the killing of the child to hide that sexual abuse.

Roethof: "From the very beginning there have been doubts about the sexual abuse. Why were so many experts consulted? Because of those doubts."

The fact that so many experts were consulted 'says enough as far as I am concerned', Roethof says. If we don't know it, there is only one ruling possible: acquittal. Roethof now goes into all the reports.

Statements made by several experts must "make all warning lights flash. Sexual abuse cannot be established," Roethof says.

Roethof was the one who wanted to hear forensic doctor and child abuse specialist Rob Bilo at a hearing. That happened last week. "You heard it. Your court has asked persistent questions."

To conclude his story, Bilo stressed that sexual abuse cannot be proven, Roethof says.

The fact that Nicky's pants were inside out and backwards means nothing, Roethof says. "If a child has to go to the toilet in the dark it's not strange that he puts on his clothes the wrong way round."

It happens regularly that children put on their clothes the wrong way round, the lawyer says. In how many vice cases do you come across reversed clothes? Is that typical of a vice case? To ask the question is to answer it: No."

What you do see in vice cases are broken nails, bumps, bruises, scratches, Roethof says. "The reasoning has been done too quickly on the basis of wrong ideas in a certain direction."

The child's dilated anus seemed to suggest sexual abuse, according to Roethof. Forensic doctor Bilo said last week that this was "much more likely a post-mortem phenomenon" than evidence of sexual abuse.

That physical characteristic of Nickey was the driving force behind the case, Roethof notes. Other experts also endorsed Bilo's view.

One of the pathologists diagnosed damage to the mucous membrane in the anus. But that was not recorded in a photograph, as is customary nowadays, Roethof says. "In order to prevent wrong conclusions from being drawn."

According to Bilo, hard stools also provided an explanation for the damage found. The investigation also showed that Nicky was suffering from this, says Roethof.

Roethof again quotes expert Bilo, who said that the scratches around the anus could have been caused by scratching, or hard wiping.

Roethof takes a tour through other expert reports. Such as that of expert Green, who apparently was a little more forceful about the sexual abuse. Roethof says that after the latter retired, he no longer kept track of his field of expertise and disqualifies this expert.

British expert Green has gone beyond his duties by drawing conclusions, Roethof says.

Roethof also says that several people were touching Nicky's clothing in several places. "In this way, traces can, of course, be moved. Evidence has been handled carelessly."

On the spot where Nicky was found there are no traces of a victim who fought for his life, says Roethof. "An 11-year-old boy is not going to let himself be abused or killed simply like that."

To substantiate the abuse, British expert Green "makes a personal assessment. This is outside his field of expertise," says Roethof.

Experts from an international network to whom the findings in Nicky's case have been presented also say that anal penetration cannot be proven, according to Roethof.

Roethof: "Surely it would be absurd for experts to say that there is no evidence of sexual abuse, but that lawyers then say: 'And yet it is so'."

No pubic hair, no blood and no semen were found on Nicky's body. Roethof: "Why sexual abuse? No expert says with any degree of certainty that Nicky was sexually abused. Legal and convincing evidence is lacking."

Roethof goes on about the dna on the pants. Is this the pattern you see on the pants of boys who have been sexually abused? "No."

The question is even whether Nicky has been groped, says Roethof. No expert says that the traces in the pants fit the scenario of the Public Prosecutor's Office. The lawyer feels that an acquittal should follow on the point of sexual abuse.

Roethof goes on about the cause of death. Was Nicky killed at all? "It cannot be established what he died of. There is no indication of injury. Not a trace suggesting a defence."

Roethof lists all kinds of possible causes: Stress, fear, sudden heart failure. But apparently the Public Prosecution Service does not necessarily consider it necessary to determine the cause of death. It had to be smothering, strangulation or asphyxia,' says the Public Prosecutor.

Roethof finds it odd that the Public Prosecutor apparently does not find it necessary to make a choice. "You don't know, so you don't make a choice? That's not how it works in a constitutional state, is it?"

In order to convict a suspect for a crime of violence, it must be possible to prove the use of lethal force, Roethof says.

"No expert has identified the traces that have been found as perpetrator's tracks," Roethof says. According to him, epilepsy, cardiac arrhythmia or dehydration cannot all be ruled out.

Roethof says he has not read back anywhere what the heat that month does to the regulation of fluid in a body. If you make an effort, you walk in the burning sun, what is the result?" Roethof asks, stressing that he does not want to compare the heathland with the Sahara.

Could Nicky have become dehydrated? Roethof: "Once again, the Brunssummerheide is not the Sahara, but there are more examples of people who became dehydrated and lost consciousness under similar circumstances."

Roethof does not rule out sunstroke either. "If you walk around in the burning sun for hours without your outer clothing, without water, without having eaten anything, there can be a big problem. I don't see that the experts have looked into that."

Policemen said that Nicky was burned on his upper body and face, says Roethof. He had a striking red face. Yet no sunstroke was thought of in this case".

An epileptic seizure caused by sunstroke can be a cause of death, says Roethof. That cannot be ruled out in this case.

Roethof: "If you do not know the cause of death, you cannot say that it can only be violence. The only one who does say that is expert Van der Voorden. But navigating on his compass is unwise. His conclusions are based on quicksand".

According to Roethof, it has not been investigated whether Nicky may have been stung by a wasp, bitten by a snake. "Nowadays tarantulas come into the country in boxes with bananas. You can find it hard to believe that, but it has not been investigated."

Van der Voorden saw pressure marks in Nicky's neck. But Roethof points out that all the other experts say that these are spots that were created after death by the process of decomposition.

"If there is no evidence of violence, then the court must acquit him of a life offence," Roethof stresses.

The lawyers have reached an estimated two-thirds of their pleadings. This is going be a late night.

Advocate Brassé takes over again. She says that in a period of less than 2 years between 2016 and 2018 no cause of death could be established for 64 children: 16% of all deaths.

According to Brassé, the question of whether Nicky was given medication has been investigated, but she cannot see whether the possibility of poisoning has been looked into.

She also points out that only the parents were examined to determine whether there could be cardiac arrhythmia. She draws a comparison with the case of Mitch Henriques, in whom this could not be ruled out either, even though research could still be carried out on him.

Could stress have caused cardiac arrhythmia in Nicky? These are all questions that remain unanswered because, according to Brassé, the investigation into the cause of death was incomplete.

The lawyers conclude that there is no hard evidence for the facts for which Jos B. is being prosecuted.

Roethof points to other cases in which a clear cause of death was missing and there was a suspect in denial. One case in Breda and one in Leeuwarden. Both suspects were acquitted.

Roethof lists more examples. The courts of Oost-Brabant, The Hague, acquitted the suspects because no clear cause of death could be established.

There are also examples to the contrary. There are also examples to the contrary of suspects who have been convicted on the basis of the wrong conclusions of experts, according to Roethof. "Horribly dangerous."

Break for 20 minutes. Then the defence will go into the dna. The lawyers still have 50 pages to go. That means an average of 2.5 hours.

BBM

Monday, October 12, sixth day in court, continued, final part

The case is being resumed. Lawyer Roethof continues. The question at the heart of the case: the discovery of the dna, the main objective reason for the suspicion against Jos B.

The most relevant passage in the indictment on this subject is: "We are not dna experts." That is correct, the lawyer thinks. "However, we do have those experts. At the NFI, for example."

"What does dna actually say in a case in which everything is unclear?" Roethof asks. By the way, the parents of #Nicky have come back into the courtroom for this part of the case.

Roethof quotes the words of an NFI expert: The dna traces can also stem from innocent contact. It cannot be established that they are related to the offence. Roethof: "In that case you are finished, aren't you?"

It is also impossible to determine when the dna came on the clothing. That can also be after death, Roethof says. Nor is it possible to establish whether it is a trace of the perpetrator.

Until the moment that Jos B. was arrested, everyone spoke cautiously about the dna. More investigation had to take place, Roethof recalls. It was said that that person might be able to put the police on the trail of the perpetrator.

At no point was it said that these were traces of the perpetrator, according to Roethof.

Until it became clear that Jos B. was the donor of the dna on the pants. Then it was suddenly said that these were traces of the culprit, Roethof says. Until that time there was always a proviso and rightly so.

Roethof calls on the court not to pay too much attention to side issues, as did the Public Prosecution Service: "the alleged flight of Jos B., the incident at Ollekebolleke nursery etc."

Roethof points to the dna expert who said that the traces may well have an innocent origin and that it cannot be determined how the traces ended up in those places. Why, then, does the Public Prosecution Service strongly insist that these are traces of the perpetrator?

Roethof wonders whether there can be mass hysteria in interpreting the traces. And also points out that there is no question at all of the same modus operandi in the vice incidents in 1984 and 1985.

The Public Prosecution saw similarities in working methods, but there was no penetration with those victims in 1984 and 1985, no dna was found on Nicky's mouth and the boys were not killed at the time.

If Jos B. put his hand on Nicky's nose and mouth, that must have left dna traces, says Roethof. Also, there was no dna of Jos B. in the neck of the child and the use of a sex kit yielded nothing. Zero point zero," Roethof points out.

The Public Prosecutor's Office assumes that Nicky's pants and pyjama trousers have been completely taken off and put back on. Roethof: "Surely you would expect in that case that there would also be dna traces on the pajama bottoms?"

Roethof says that it must be ensured that lawyers do not draw conclusions from dna, which the experts say they cannot do.

Roethof points out that dna has also been found from strangers 'which we cannot pin down'. Roethof quotes legal psychologist Peter van Koppen who said "that the real problem is that the pants have been rather fondled by many."

Roethof gave Van Koppen the file, who pointed out that the pants had been handled several times. "Is he a dna expert?" the court interrupts him. "He's a legal psychologist, isn't he? Because you stress that everyone has to stick to their field of expertise."

Roethof maintains his view that the pants have not been secured according to the rules, that there may have been contamination of traces and that it is therefore not clear how Jos B.'s dna came to be on them.

Roethof cites as an example the way in which a military constabulary secured the tissue with semen that was lying further away in 1998. He picked it up with 2 fingers and put it back. That's how it was back then."

The MP might have touched Nicky. Then the donor of that sperm would have had a big problem, Roethof says. "But that's the way things were at that time. At that time, dna and its importance were relatively unknown."

Roethof quotes a witness who says that at that time the garments were transported in paper bags and that they were then placed on a piece of paper to be photographed. Roethof: "Everything on the same piece of paper."

Nicky's body has been moved to the morgue with clothes and everything, Roethof says. "What is the effect of bodily fluids on the dna on the body? Seems logical to me that it ends up on the underwear first."

For 41 hours it was unclear exactly who had touched what. Who touched the body? Who touched the clothes," says Roethof. "It was 22 years ago."

According to Roethof, the criminal investigation team that led to the arrest of Jos B. also did not rule out the risk of contamination - pollution - of the dna.

So you can't do anything with the dna traces, Roethof concludes. The risk of contamination is too great. He says that the places where the dna was found say nothing, because dna may have leaked through. "Disaster upon disaster: catastrophe was heaped upon catastrophe."

Roethof cites the example of a pair of pants wet from bodily fluids, that was stuffed into a bag, causing the dna to spill from one place to another.

And the traces of saliva? Roethof says that it is not inconceivable that someone slammed his hand to his mouth in terror at the sight of the body and then touched Nicky. Or that someone was crying or snivelling over the body.

Roethof agrees that the dna on the pants looks suspicious. But he says that the court should look further. "Can it be used as legal evidence? No. Not with the way the traces have been secured."

The Public Prosecutor stated that the transfer of dna via microfilm - a kind of adhesive film - is very small. Roethof: "But not impossible."

According to Roethof, 'stamping' dna - transferring it from one place to another by sloppy use of microfilm - is quite possible. It would also have happened with traces of blood.

Roethof now discusses the OM's conclusion that the dna on Nicky's pants indicates intensive contact. The Public Prosecutor remarked that more dna was found on Jos B.'s pants than on Nicky's pants. This is because certain places were deliberately not sampled, Roethof says.

This mainly concerned the places where the investigators expected that Nicky's dna in particular would be found. These places were not examined.

Roethof calls it "a gross misconception to think that a lot of dna indicates more evidence. Recent research by the NFI in cars showed that even someone who held the steering wheel with bare hands for half an hour did not leave any dna behind."

Roethof aims to say that some people shed more dna than others. "This may also have been the case with Nicky's body. Dna is important in the tracing. But as evidence?"

Dna traces were also found that experts could not bring home. Roethof: "We cannot rule out the possibility that these unknown donors had something to do with it. Jos B. is seen as the only real suspect because of his sexual past."

" Nobody can claim that Jos B.'s dna traces are related to a sexual offence," Roethof says.

The OM "has made up an entire story about Jos B's alleged escape." Wrongly so, Roethof says. His colleague Brassé adds "that you can't deduce anything from that."

The fact that Jos B. did not want to participate in the dna investigation cannot be used against him, Brassé says. "It was on a voluntary basis, wasn't it? Then why is so much attention being paid to the flight scenario?"

Brassé also says that the fear Jos B. had in 1998 was not suddenly gone 20 years later. "An alleged flight in 2018 is in no way a sign that Jos B. is guilty."

Jos B. made the trip to the Vosges after his mother was admitted to a nursing home, Brassé says. "He was finally able to start his own life. That Jos B. then deliberately went astray is not true," she says.

The plan was to go for a hike in the Vosges and that's what he told people. If he wanted to flee, why would he say that? Then he might simply leave," according to Brassé.

That Jos B. eventually went south is not surprising either, according to Brassé. "The weather was turning, snow was expected. Then it's not odd that you go south instead of north."

According to Brassé that's hard to qualify as setting a wrong track.

Jos B. had been a carer for years, Brassé says. "His plans for the future would no longer depend on his mother, that was the very idea. His sister would take over."

Jos B. gets emotional now that his mother is mentioned. He appears to shed a tear and sniff a little.

According to Brassé, the Public Prosecutor's Office only explains Jos B.'s stay abroad in a negative light. While there are plenty of reasons for this. If he really didn't want to be found by anyone, why did he introduce himself to people with his own name?

The suspicions about the alleged flight must be reduced to the right proportions, according to Brassé. The same applies to the incident at the Ollekebolleke nursery, which was never more than a rumour.

It concerns an incident with a girl who told her mother that Jos B. had groped her between the legs. Brassé: "It may well be that Jos B. fled a possible accusation, but it says nothing about the veracity of that accusation. "

Roethof takes over again.And is critical of adding the information about a 35-year-old morality case to the Nicky file. It concerns the groping of 3 boys in 1984 and 1985.

That incident happened when Jos B. was 22 or 23, says Roethof. "An adolescent." The lawyer says it is telling that despite all the media attention surrounding Nicky's case, no new victims have come forward.

So why is the Public Prosecution Service using the sexual past against Jos B. at all?" Roethof asks. This week the Public Prosecutor wondered what the chances were that one pedo would abuse and kill Nicky, and a second would find him and leave him lying.

Roethof says that it surprised him that so many people with a past of sexual indecency were involved in the summer camp. So it wouldn't be so strange for Nicky to have been the victim of more than one offender, the lawyer concludes.

Roethof approached the statistician who looked into the case at the request of the Public Prosecutor. But he didn't want to say anything, because the Public Prosecutor's Office was the client.

Roethof refers to the Schiedammer Park murder. There, too, the Public Prosecutor's Office wondered how likely it was that someone with a vice past would stumble across the spot where a child was found dead. It led to an unjust conviction.

So you have to be careful with this kind of reasoning, Roethof states. The Public Prosecutor also concluded that Jos B.'s modus operandi in 1984 and 1985 was the same as that of Nicky. But, for example, no dna of B.'s hand was found on the boy's mouth.

The legal evidence is lacking, Roethof concludes in this case. Nor is the case convincing as far as he is concerned.

If the court looks at the case from a distance, there is only one conclusion possible, says Roethof: acquittal. Due to a lack of legal and convincing evidence.

Roethof: "It is clear enough that what is on the table in this case is not sufficient to make a statement of evidence in the case.

His colleague Brassé takes over for the tail end of the plea about the possession of child *advertiser censored*. Hundreds of child *advertiser censored* images were found on Jos B.'s computer.

Brassé asks the Public Prosecution Service to declare the possession of child *advertiser censored* inadmissible, because his extradition was only allowed for the other facts. Child *advertiser censored* was not added to the list until later.

That concludes today. On Friday, the lawyer of the Verstappen family, the Public Prosecution Service and the defence will have the opportunity to respond to each other's views. The last word on Friday will be for Jos B.

BBM

Friday, October 16, last day of court hearings

The last day of criminal proceedings against Jos B., suspected of abducting, sexually abusing and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen, in 1998 begins in the court in Maastricht.

Today, the Public Prosecutor's Office and the defence can respond to each other. The Public Prosecution Service expects to need about an hour and a half. We do not yet know exactly what the lawyer, Gerald Roethof, has to say. The last word today is for Jos B.

Jos B. takes his seat on the other side of the plexiglass window that separates him from his lawyer Roethof.

First lawyer Wendy van Egmond is given the floor on behalf of the next of kin. Nothing has been put forward by the Public Prosecutor's Office or the defence that necessitates a reaction, she says.

Prosecutor Paul Emmen is given the floor for the prosecution's response. A thick bundle of paper is distributed, but the text to be pronounced covers 25 pages.

Emmen says that the written plea by Roethof does not contain things that have been said. "Contentious statements", the prosecutor says.

That is not unusual. In the prosecution's indictments, too, it is standard practice to state that the pronounced text applies.

Emmen comments on the "criminalisation of Jos B." according to Roethof. According to the lawyer, the Public Prosecution Service would have reasoned on the basis that Jos B. is a paedophile and must therefore be the perpetrator.

The public prosecutor: "The opposite is true. It was only the final conclusion." Van Emmen says that initially Jos B. was not in the picture. The donor of the dna found was first referred to as NN2. Nomen Nescio, name unknown.

The evidence was still completely separate from Jos B., the prosecutor says. On the basis of dna it was concluded that NN2 had to be the perpetrator. The Public Prosecution Service would also have concluded this even if that dna had not come from Jos B..

All the indications fit better with perpetratorship than with innocence, according to prosecutor Emmen. Tunnel vision cannot have played a role.

Proof of sexual abuse does not require proof of anal penetration, Emmen says. The prosecutor also calls it "very incriminating" that Jos B. opted out of the dna kinship investigation.

According to the prosecutor, it is too often thought that a weak element in the evidence makes the whole evidence weak. That is absolutely not the case here, Emmen says.

Emmen talks about "a mantra of denials", followed by a late video statement. He then accuses Roethof of having "almost triumphantly" joined talk shows to say: "Jos B. has testified, hasn't he?

According to the public prosecutor, Roethof is hinting at improper interrogation methods. Jos B. has been interrogated 13 times. An unprecedented number, according to Roethof. A doll was even used. That's right, Emmen says. But only in order to be able to indicate how Nicky's clothes were worn.

Emmen disputes that Jos B. has been interrogated an unusually large number of times. He says it was 17 hours in total. "In 2 years time."

Counsel gives the impression that he was deprived of information and was therefore obstructed in the defence. That too Emmen denies.

Even the easiest questions were always followed by an invocation of the right to remain silent, Emmen says. But that does not mean that we were not allowed to ask Jos B. any questions.

The statement that Jos B. had written down earlier, even before he could have read the whole file, has still not been added to the file, according to the prosecutor. " That makes one think. Apparently that statement will not have the desired effect."

This is the statement that Jos B. would have put on paper in order to prevent the Public Prosecution Service from reproaching him afterwards for having adapted his statement to the file. According to Roethof, the statement is "safely stored in a safe".

Public Prosecutor Emmen says he does not understand why Roethof did not submit the statement. Not even now that Jos B. and his lawyer are accused of having presented "a rehearsed play" with the video statement.

Roethof mentions "through the back door" all kinds of alternative scenarios, according to Emmen. He believes that those scenarios should be set aside by the court.

Roethof referred to necrophilia and also to camp leader Barten, who had a vice past. Barten has since passed away. According to Emmen, the lawyer comes up with more scenarios than Jos B. Incredible, in his opinion.

According to prosecutor Emmen, the kidnapping of Nicky is a fact. He became the victim of offences you don't commit in the open field, Emmen says. "That means that the suspect kept Nicky in his power and under control for some time".

The defence argued that it is not impossible that Nicky had run away. "Assumptions and speculations," prosecutor Emmen says. "The defence pulls out all the stops to make that scenario plausible. But it fails miserably."

Prosecutor Emmen denounces the fact that Roethof quoted a news report about 25,000 children who run away every year. The lawyer omits to mention that most of the children turn up within a few hours.

The prosecutor continues with the witnesses who saw a man cycling with a child on the back of his bike. It is not true that the Public Prosecutor has stated that she recognised Jos B. after 20 years, according to prosecutor Emmen. "She recognised Nicky. And reported that to the police 20 years ago."

The prosecutor says that there were also 2 other witnesses who heard a child screaming on the moor on 10 August.

Prosecutor Emmen wants to eliminate 3 "misconceptions. That it is all about one thing, namely the sexual abuse, that we ignore the reports of the experts and - very disturbing - that the defence identifies abuse with penetration".

The prosecution says that it does have an eye for the experts' reports, but says that most of the experts who were unable to identify sexual abuse - with the exception of Brit Green - were based on bad photographs.

Expert Green thought the photos were good. He had received them directly from the Netherlands Forensic Institute, says prosecutor Emmen.

Nicky's dilated anus is also called by Emmen "a normal post-mortem phenomenon". He emphasises again that sexual abuse does not necessarily mean penetration.

Prosecutor Emmen regularly accuses Roethof of "selective citation". He calls it "a mockery" that after the interrogation of forensic doctor Rob Bilo, Roethof stated that the case was over and that there was no question of sexual abuse.

According to Emmen it is another example of identifying sexual abuse with intrusion.

Prosecutor Emmen feels that Roethof also comes up with all kinds of "unsubstantiated suggestions" about the cause of death: "A stray tarantula, a snake bite, the heat."

According to Emmen, the Brunssummerheide is visited by 20,000 people a day. And then a little boy could wander around there for a whole day without anyone seeing him?

Could Nicky have died of acute stress? The only acute stress that could have been present is that the child was groped indecently, says Emmen. And that proves the sexual abuse, according to the prosecutor.

Roethof also suggested that Nicky suffered a sunstroke. His red face and upper body would indicate long-term exposure to the sun. But according to ECJ Emmen that was discolouration caused by the decomposition process.

Lawyer Roethof is listening with folded hands to prosecutor Emmen. Jos B. sits there in his characteristic way: leaning forward with his forearms on the table, looking at the prosecutor.

Public Prosecutor Emmen denounces the fact that Roethof disqualifies a renowned Belgian pathologist such as Wim van de Voorde in his plea. Completely unjustified, according to prosecutor Emmen. The NFI is even planning to adopt the working method of this pathologist.

Emmen continues with the dna found on Nicky's pants. According to Roethof, it cannot be ruled out that it came there in an innocent manner and he quotes an expert who says they are not traces of the perpetrator.

But according to prosecutor Emmen, there is no conceivable scenario in which Jos B.'s dna was found on his pants in an innocent way.

Prosecutor Emmen repeats again that the scenario that Jos B. described in the video statement was "a rehearsed play".

Jos B.'s statement does not match the trace image, according to Emmen. "We don't need an NFI or expert for that. The dna is mainly on the waistband and at the front of the crotch. This indicates that Jos B. had his hand in his trousers."

The defence argued that no blood or semen was found. The kind of trace you would expect in a sex offense. But according to the prosecutor Emmen that doesn't mean anything. "No dna of Nicky was found even in places where you would expect that."

The absence of sperm does not automatically mean that no sex crime has been committed, according to the prosecutor. And the fact that no blood was found does not mean that Nicky was not killed by violence.

Public prosecutor Emmen disputes that no traces of Jos B. were found on the hands, or on Nicky's mouth and face. "Samples were taken for traces, but that did not yield a usable dna profile".

Emmen is now going to talk about the possible contamination of the dna evidence. Emmen disputes that Jos B.'s dna may have gotten on the clothing through sloppy treatment, "That would also apply to the other dna traces, but that is not the case."

Even if dna was "leaked" through bodily fluids, that doesn't explain why there was virtually no dna on #Nicky's pajama bottoms, according to the prosecutor. It was mainly on the pants.

Moreover, the dna on the pants consisted of 20 small spots. If there had been leaks and contamination, a lot more would have been found, says Emmen.

Was Jos B. a so-called "strong shedder": someone who leaves behind more dna than the average person? No, says prosecutor Emmen. If that were the case then there should have been more dna on Nicky's pajama trousers, which Jos B. says he " straightened"

The defence says Jos B. was not on the run. Prosecutor Emmen disputes that and says that only the defence says that. "Why doesn't the denial come from the accused himself?"

The fact that Jos B. was on the run, according to the prosecutor also appears from the fact that 6 days after his disappearance from the Vosges he had arrived "with 2 heavy bags 1000 kilometres away".

Moreover, Jos B. apparently had no intention of honouring agreements on the touring of groups, according to Emmen. He left his telephone in the chalet while he had promised to be available for bookings.

The explanation given by the defence for Jos B.'s stay abroad is not correct according to Emmen. For example, he announced that he might have to cancel an intended walk because of his mother, yet he was unavailable for news about his mother.

BBM

"The absence of sperm does not automatically mean that no sex crime has been committed, according to the prosecutor. And the fact that no blood was found does not mean that Nicky was not killed by violence."

I can't believe I am reading this. Is the prosecution suggesting that Nicky died because he was groped? Because those are the only traces that might suggest that. Or they may suggest something else. And if Nicky was indeed killed by violence, how DID that happen? (as opposed to how it did NOT happen.)

This is beyond surreal.

Friday, October 16, last day of court hearings

Prosecutor Mattheijs takes over. He says it is very unlikely that Nicky first crossed the path of a pedophile who abused and killed him, and then was found by a second pedophile, who left him behind.

According to Mattheijs, the comparison with a miscarriage of justice in the Schiedammer Park murder case is not valid. In that case suspect Kees B. had a strong alibi and did not resemble the description of the perpetrator. No dna was found of him either.

That Jos B. would be innocent just like Kees B. is not true, according to Mattheijs. His dna was on Nicky's pants.

The prosecutor saw similarities between Jos B.'s working methods in 1984 and 1985, when he grabbed the pants of boys, and Nicky's case. Roethof wrongly extends those similarities to hand on mouth and touch, according to the prosecutor.

The working method used by Jos B. in the 1980s is proof of support for the dna that was found. Not the other way round, says Mattheijs

The defence wants the Public Prosecution Service to be declared not admissible in the prosecution of Jos B. for the discovery of child *advertiser censored*. It is alleged that the issue has not been properly dealt with with Spain. But that discovery was mainly made after Spain handed him over to the Netherlands, says the prosecutor.

Mattheijs says that, incidentally, the Spanish court really would not have reached a different decision on the surrender of Jos B. to the Netherlands if child *advertiser censored* had been added to the request, according to the prosecutor.

The difference in the presentation of prosecutor Mattheijs and that of prosecutor Emmen is striking. While the indignation in Emmen's voice is always clearly audible, Mattheijs sounds businesslike.

We are now dealing with some legal points, including the grounds for the pre-trial detention of Jos B. and the question of whether there was inadmissible detention.

It boils down to the fact that the defence asked to declare the Public Prosecution Service inadmissible in the prosecution of Jos B. for possession of child *advertiser censored*, because that did not go according to the rules in the request for surrender. That is what the Public Prosecution Service is contesting.

If necessary, the Public Prosecution Service can wait for a reply from the Spanish judge, they say. If the court deems it necessary, it may be decided not to close the investigation yet and to rule at a later date.

The Public Prosecution Service is ready. Lawyer Roethof wants 2 hours to prepare his reply.

BBM

I am surprised that the Prosecution did not consider the charges in relation to extradition request during the 2 years that it took to prepare this case. And now they go running back to the Spanish judge to make them add something to the order that was not known at the time the order was issued?

o_O o_O

Friday, October 16, last day of court hearings, final part

The case has resumed. Lawyer Gerald Roethof will take the floor. He first consults with Jos B. The latter nods 'yes'. Turns out to be about the last word. That may be recorded.

Roethof responds to the public prosecutor's criticism that he said things that were not in his written plea. "I don't work according to a script. Pleading is a dynamic process."

Roethof quotes statements from the arguments of the Public Prosecution Service: "Not all questions will be answered. And: "It can't be otherwise than that....". Roethof: "That is what you keep reading. Uncertainty."

It is not possible to say with certainty from the traces that a sex crime has taken place, Roethof specifies. On spots on the pyjama trousers where you might expect dna in case of a sex offense, this has not been found, Roethof says. It was found on the pants, but he doesn't mention those.

What Roethof does say is that the Public Prosecutor's Office is silent about the fact that the vice kit that is normally used in case of suspicion of a sex offense, has yielded nothing.

Roethof says that the Public Prosecution gives the impression that the defence is on trial here, instead of Jos B. "I could easily reverse that, but I will not. So let me be the magistrate."

The Public Prosecutor always talks about "the most likely scenario", says Roethof. But how do you know what is likely if you don't know what happened?

The defence, on the other hand, provides evidence for all the propositions, says Roethof. To the accusation that the defence identifies sexual abuse and penetration, Roethof answers that the Public Prosecutor himself always refers to anal penetration. I will, of course, respond to that.

Roethof: "Zero plus zero plus zero remains zero".

Roethof outlines alternative scenarios, because he wants to show how it could have happened, Roethof says. If he is portrayed by the Public Prosecutor as the culprit, it is my job to show the other side".

The Public Prosecutor's Office makes little substantive contribution in the second term, according to Roethof. It is only offering ad hominems . In the absence of arguments.

The alternative scenario of camp leader Barten as a serious suspect is not that weird, Roethof says. He went to the loo 3 times between half past 5 in the morning and 8 o'clock. In the period that Nicky must have disappeared from the tent.

"Look at Barten's profile", Roethof says. The man had a vice past. Roethof says that there are indeed other scenarios imaginable than Jos B. as the perpetrator.

Another alternative scenario could simply be that Barten was administering temazepam to Nicky. That disappears from the blood within a few hours. Roethof does not say that this has happened, but simply means that there are countless scenarios.

Also, the fact that the Brunssummerheide is visited by 20 000 people, as the Public Prosecutor said, does not mean anything, Roethof believes. The Public Prosecutor said that it is unlikely that a boy will wander around all day without anyone seeing him. "But does the Public Prosecutor know how many people were on the moor that day?"

According to Roethof, more children are killed by people in their immediate environment than by violence after sexual abuse. "Although I do not want to suggest that that is what is at issue here. But the prosecution's assertion that it cannot be anything other than violence is not true."

According to Roethof, "the Public Prosecutor's Office is merely talking. They talk about ideas ideas, not based on facts". The comparison with Nicole vd Hurk's case does not hold up, he says. "Even after 11 days and a far-reaching state of decomposition she had a broken rib and head injury."

Not all possible causes of death have been 'peeled off', Roethof says. There was no CT scan, no MRI scan. "What remains are ambiguities, not all causes have been ruled out. That's where things go wrong. We just don't know."

You have to be careful not to draw conclusions too quickly without a solid foundation," Roethof says. According to him, the Public Prosecutor's Office is actually doing that.

The words flow from Roethof's lips at lightning speed. Apparently he wants to stay within the previously announced half hour.

Roethof again points out that the NFI has said that it cannot be ruled out that Jos B.'s dna ended up on Nicky's pants in "an innocent way."

Roethof returns to the possibility of contamination of the dna. "How can you say that it did not happen, when the experts say it cannot be ruled out because we do not know the chain of custody?"

Jos B. has said that he turned Nicky's body, with his hands on his hips: "And how do you do that? On the hips." Then Jos B. straightened the clothes. "With condensation, with moisture, you get dna on the inside of the pants."

Roethof browses through the OM's reply. Mumbles now and then: "Unimportant..."

Roethof says he gets the feeling that the Public Prosecution Service is trying to reverse the burden of proof in this case. "There is no cause of death, no hard evidence of a sex offense". He asks the court to take a critical look at the case and pleads for acquittal.

The colleague of Roethof, has been given the floor on the issue of child *advertiser censored* and considers that the Public Prosecution Service should not be declared admissible in the prosecution on this point because it was not mentioned in the request for Jos B. to be surrendered by Spain to the Netherlands.

Jos B. is given the floor." It was a beautiful day in 1998. But how unlucky can you be when you find someone who is dead.

He falls silent. "When it became clear that I saw a body I fortunately did not hesitate to take action. I went there as quickly as I could and checked his bodily functions."

"Despite everything that has happened to me since 1998 until now, I'm not sorry I did that," says Jos B. "I am sorry I reported it late, though. Far too late. Only last week."

Jos B.: "As I sat beside Nicky's body, a fear crept up on me that I was being watched. I had to get out of there, but what are you going to do? I didn't do anything and that's very unfortunate."

"In 1985 the police came home. I wasn't there yet and heard that the police had been there. I was to report myself. At that time I did have the courage.... The words of the detective in 1985: "Whatever happens to a child, we will always find you" have always stuck with me."

When he found Nicky, he didn't have that courage any more, Jos B. says. "After years came the conviction that the fear might be justified. I've been walking around with that secret for years."

"Last week I made my statement. Either way, live, on paper or video, the statement came. Did it provide the answers to the mother's questions: Was he scared, did he cry out for us, was he in pain? I don't have those answers."

Did the testimony do anything to the family? The family wants a conviction, they want an offender, and according to the family the offender is here. That's me. Did it do something to the prosecution? It doesn't matter, according to the DA."

"What did it get me? Just relief. I've got rid of my secret." Jos B. is emotional, turns red. Sometimes he doesn't find the words, there are long silences.

"It's up to the court, you decide what my life is going to be like." He sobs audibly. "I hope for a wise decision. Thank you."

The court takes longer than the usual 2 weeks to pronounce, "to consider carefully everything that's been said". The verdict will be on Friday 20 November at 2.30 p.m.

Jos B. will remain in jail until 20 November. The Public Prosecutor's Office may bring in another document from Spain. That relates to the issue of child *advertiser censored* and extradition.

That Spanish letter may still change the date for the verdict. But I will let you know when that happens.

BBM

https://www.femkefataal.nl/broer-mi...fte-in-nicky-verstappen-onderzoek-is-bewaard/

Brother of victim Thomas* hopes that the report has been saved in Nicky Verstappen's investigation

"How many children were raped or assaulted by unknown perpetrators at the end of the 1980s and 1990s in the Limburg Mijnstreek? At the very least I may hope that the reports of cases such as that of my brother Thomas* have been preserved and have at least been examined in the investigation into the murder of Nicky Verstappen in 1998."

That is what the brother of Thomas, who was abused near the Limburg town of Nuth in 1990, says in response to the events of the past few days.
Most likely the hopes he cherishes are vain. It appears that in the investigation into Jos Brech, the police and the judiciary have not looked - or at most hardly looked - into other unsolved sex crimes with young boys in that area. It is very much open to question whether the documents in the case of his brother Thomas can still be recovered.

On Thursday, Thomas - now in his forties - told on this website how he became a victim of a sex crime on 15 February 1990.

He was thirteen at the time and was walking his dog on an abandoned railway junction near Nuth in Limburg, when he was suddenly attacked by an unknown man and abused with brute force. A day later Thomas and his mother reported this to the police in Heerlen, but the family never heard anything about the horrible vice crime again.

Two years ago - when police and justice announced that Jos Brech was a suspect in the murder of Nicky Verstappen - Thomas raised the alarm with the police.

He sees similarities with previous and nearby sexual acts committed by Brech with young boys. Thomas therefore contacted the investigation team in the Verstappen case on his own initiative in the summer of 2018. He was promised that he would be heard as a witness, but this did not happen. Once again, he heard nothing more from criminal investigation and the Public Prosecution Service.

After publications on FemkeFataal, the judiciary in Maastricht has changed its mind since Friday. Thomas is still being heard. Of course, what happened never left him and he is still suffering from the traumatic events.

His two-year older brother can still clearly remember that terrible day, more than three decades ago. "Thomas suddenly stood at our door that afternoon with our dog and rang the bell", he recalls. "When I opened the door, I immediately saw that there was something totally wrong with him."

His younger brother told his awful story with fits and starts. "Slowly I began to grasp what had happened to him," the brother continues. "I wanted to go after the perpetrator. I was furious and I wanted to hurt that man! But the more Thomas told me about the situation, the more I understood that I absolutely could not leave him alone. Powerless, I put him into the shower. At one point our mother fortunately came home."

The fact that his little brother's case remained unsolved was also a burden on him. "For years, every time I walked across the busy squares of Heerlen, I thought that I might run into the perpetrator without even knowing that he was the perpetrator.

For Thomas himself, the fact that the police and the judiciary never took his case seriously and failed to do so again in 2018 was an additional burden: this lack of interest and recognition is certainly not conducive to the processing of traumatic facts by victims.

Moreover, it could be a missed opportunity for the investigation into the Nicky Verstappen case. The burden of proof in criminal proceedings is thin. The Public Prosecution Service cannot afford to sit back and should, according to criminal law experts, have thoroughly investigated other cases that may also be attributable to suspect Jos Brech.

In the meantime, together with former investigator Dick Gosewehr, I have started my own investigation into unsolved sex crimes in the Mijnstreek in which young boys fell victim between 1984 and 2015. That is why we call on victims of those days to report to us.

BBM

The name Thomas is an alias.

https://www.femkefataal.nl/oproep-wie-werd-misbruikt-in-omgeving-waar-jos-brech-eerder-toesloeg/

Appeal: who was abused in the area where Jos Brech struck before?

Together with former police detective Dick Gosewehr, I will be investigating more unsolved sex crimes in the Limburg Mijnstreek between 1984 and 2015. That is why we are calling on you. Who, as a boy between the ages of ten and fifteen, was a victim of an unknown man in this area, or perhaps near or across the border with Germany or Belgium? If so, you can contact us at the e-mail addresses below.

There is a high probability that Jos Brech, suspect in the murder of Nicky Verstappen, was a repeat offender. In 1984 and 1985 Brech attacked three boys in Wijlre and Wijnandsrade, aged between ten and twelve. He was caught at the time, admitted to being attracted to young boys and was given a probationary period of two years.

Because of his behaviour in those crimes in the mid-1980s and the suspicions in the murder of Nicky Verstappen in August 1998, we suspect that Brech has not stopped in the intervening and following years.

"The urge to strike does not just disappear with this type of perpetrator", according to Dick Gosewehr. "There is therefore a high probability that there will be more victims. They may have found the door closed by the police and the Public Prosecutor's Office, as did Thomas."

The investigation in the Verstappen case has been far below standard from the beginning because all the focus was on the leaders of the camp in which Nicky took part.

A textbook example of tunnel vision, according to former investigator Gosewehr, who was also attached to a coldcase team in the past. "For this reason the police and the judiciary had little interest in adding possibly similar cases to the file. After all, if it turns out that Brech may be responsible for more vice crimes than the three from the 1980s and the 'Vestappen' case, then the prosecution and criminal investigation will be put to shame even more than is already the case today."

BBM

Crime reporter Jolande van der Graaf made this appeal on her website.
Former police detective Dick Gosewehr is a renowned bloodhound with a nose for sloppy police work.

I did not see this one coming. It all started with Thomas* stepping forward a few days ago.

IMHO lawyer Roethof tempted fate when he pleaded that there had been no other incidents than those of 1984 and 1985.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back