New Mackenzie Phillips Book Reveals Sexual Relationship With Her Father

I never watch Oprah anymore but I happen to today seeing Mckinnsey Phillips.

Something about her story had a ring of truth although I have no idea whether it really is.

No telling how many of the Hollyweirds and their incessant drug use have abused their children in this way but......for the love of the camera and career nobody has ever known it.

Yeah .... Hollywierd, for whatever the reason, seems to lend itself to boundry crossing. All that drama, it's almost exspected. Let me asure you, the lines are/have been blurred in every nook and cranny of this earth. More often than not, those lines are familial. It's something none of us ever want to see, let alone believe!

You are as sick as the secrets you keep.
She has lived her life, her ups and downs, in the public eye.
It is not shocking that she is sharing this in public.

And while they may have begun intercourse when she was 19, they had a relationship lacking boundaries and probably included sexual tones long long long before that. You don't just hop into bed with your father at 19 with no grooming. moo

I am guessing that the reason she feels the need to share this with the public is because her problems with drug abuse and how that messed up her career were very much public when she was a teenager/young adult and I can understand her feeling the need to clear her name to some degree by explaining the chaos in which she grew up. Her father was an a$$hole.

Hate to say it but I don't believe her, why air out all your dirty laundry on national tv? Did she ever confront him about it? Does she need money, and this is a big attention getter? What does her mom say about this? I think all the facts need to be found out first before I can call him a sick s.o.b.

I never watch Oprah anymore but I happen to today seeing Mckinnsey Phillips.

Something about her story had a ring of truth although I have no idea whether it really is.

No telling how many of the Hollyweirds and their incessant drug use have abused their children in this way but......for the love of the camera and career nobody has ever known it.

I agree. It did ring true. If it's not then that's the best acting she's ever done. I think the reason it rang true to me was at least in part because her emotions were mixed. When Oprah put up the photos of her with Mick Jagger she beamed. She told the story the way one would an old family legend, making light of it and even pointing out that she was an adult, but dismissing the fact that he'd said he'd been waiting for that since she was 10. How sick is that?! In some ways she seems strong, but then also so vulnerable. I feel sorry for her.

There must be some other people around who suspected or witnessed the relationship. Maids, fellow dopeheads who stayed overnight, or even one of their boyfriends or girlfriends. I'm not reading the book, but can believe it happened. The dad got McKenzie on drugs and probably kept her on drugs. Anyone who would shoot up their 12 year old child would probably do just about anything else to her not really caring if it harmed her or not.

Bless McKenzies heart! I am so glad she has had the courage to tell her story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/23/mackenzie.phillips.oprah/index.html

Phillips' story isn't without its detractors: Her former stepmother, Genevieve Waite, released a statement to the "Oprah Winfrey Show" denouncing Phillips' account.

"I am stunned by Mackenzie's terrible allegations about her father," Waite wrote. "I would often complain about her overly familiar attitudes towards him, and he said it was just her way. John was a good man. ... He was incapable, no matter how drunk or drugged he was, to have sexual relations with his own child."

"McKenzie's drug addiction for 35 years has been the result of many unpleasant experiences," Michelle Phillips, John Phillips' second wife, told CNN in a statement. "Whether her relationship with her father is delusional or not, it is an unfortunate circumstance and very hurtful for our entire family."

ETA: I don't know why the pregnancy would stop the relationship after 10 years. Wasn't the abuse just as horrific? And for those who watched Oprah, did you notice how Mac was talking to the audience as one would talk to a jury. She hardly acknowledged Oprah. Just my opinion.

I can only imagine what this is doing to the entire family, and believe it should have been kept behind a therapist's door - not in front of the world.

I, for one, will not be buying the book.

MOO

Mel

I do not know if she is telling the truth or not about the 10 year 'relationship' with her dad. I just am uneasy with her making these accusations after her dad is dead and cannot speak for himself. Why does she feel it necessary 'to tell the world' in order to heal? This revelation is sure to devastate the family and loved ones of both of them.

However, this is sure to sell a great many copies of her book. How many of us (or the public in general) would have noticed that MP had even written a book, if not for the shock value of this incident?

I agree. She obviously needed to unburden herself of this horrible secret, but that's what therapy is for. If something like that happened to me, I'd probably be in therapy for life. But I can't think of one person outside maybe a couple in my family who would need to know about it. I don't think it would be "cleansing" for me to share it with everyone. On the contrary, I would feel really creepy and uncomfortable revealing something like this even to my best friend, let alone the world! I'm not saying you have to keep something like this to yourself, but telling a therapist or two would be "freeing" enough. I do agree also with those who said that if she had to tell the world about this, she should have done so while Papa John was still alive.

In all fairness, it does say Michelle's marriage to John broke up long before the incest begin, so how would Michelle really know whether it happened or not?

I totally agree...

Of course she'd wait until he died before revealing this information. She said something in the interview about how she wished he were here so that maybe the book would help him understand or heal, something like that. Well, in a way she can think about how her father could respond, yet she'll never know. She's in control of that outcome and can believe he'd finally understand what he did, even thought he probably never really would.

I also think it makes sense for her to reveal this publicly. She's been very judged publicly in a way that most people are not.

And his former wife who says Mackenzie was solicitous with John is probably in denial. Girls with good relationships with their fathers can be close to them; it's when the father is not appropriate that it goes wrong. She could very well have those feelings because of his reaction not because of Mackenzie's behavior.

Personally, I think she's a coward. This information would have been much more useful if daddy-molester were still alive and could be prosecuted for his crimes. To tell it now that he's deceased is a moot point IMHO. The only thing she can do now is work through it via therapy.

On another note, he died in 2001 -- why come out with this now. I'm sure curious as to what Chynna and Bijou Phillips have to say about this. Not to mention Michelle Phillips. I'm sure statements from them will come out soon.

Again - just my opinion.

Mel

I know quite a few survivors of child abuse who were unable to fully voice their truth until their abuser had died. It is not an uncommon phenomenon -particularly if the abuse was sexual in nature and the abuser was a parent. How confusing it must be to have a parent harm you, but not want that parent to be punished for it! I get it, and I couldn't possibly perceive someone who finally feels safe enough to speak out as a coward.

In an interview with Meredith V. on the Today show this morning, MP stated that her father was a "good man." That tells you a lot right there.

In all fairness, it does say Michelle's marriage to John broke up long before the incest begin, so how would Michelle really know whether it happened or not?

I think most of us know if certain people in our lives would or would not have sex with their own child. We know just by knowing their character -- we don't have to be married to them.

I believe Michelle.

MP is cashing in. It's an insult to real victims out there.

Has she co-hosted "The View" yet?

IMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member