New Panda Cub at San Diego Zoo

That is the cutest little thing!!!!!!! So tiny, it looks like a baby squirrel, how in the world does the Mom keep up with it???? Bai Yun is so big...wow!So freaky how animals are better at the parenting thing than some humans...

MsPooh, I totally agree that animals can be better parents than a lot of humans, especially those we read about here on WS.:furious:
The average size of a newborn cub is 4 ounces, which comes out to roughly 1/900th the weight of the mommy bear, can you imagine? Human babies ratio of weight to their moms is more like 1/15th to 1/30th.
If you think cubbie is cute now, just wait til the black and white fur starts coming in...I melt when I see this!:woohoo:
By the way, Kris and I are both members of a flickr group called Pandas Unlimited. Some members live near the 4 US zoos which have pandas, and the rest of us who aren't so lucky are blessed to be able to view the pics of, and chat about these adorable, majestic bears. We also raise awareness for and conciousness of the panda's plight of being endangered, and also raise funds to send to the zoos here in the states to help with panda care/enrichment.
Everytime a cub is born is a cause for major celebration!

MsPooh, I totally agree that animals can be better parents than a lot of humans, especially those we read about here on WS.:furious:
The average size of a newborn cub is 4 ounces, which comes out to roughly 1/900th the weight of the mommy bear, can you imagine? Human babies ratio of weight to their moms is more like 1/15th to 1/30th.
If you think cubbie is cute now, just wait til the black and white fur starts coming in...I melt when I see this!:woohoo:

lol I have become rather addicted to watching the panda cam:D

Kris, gotta love that silly Su Lin! She was so funny, using her ice cake as a combo toy/portable cooler. Good thing SDZ gave her a second, flat ice cake later in the day.
I love watching Bai and cubbie on the cam. She is such an amazing mom!

Su is so cute!! Funny, too :) She was not as interested in her cake as she was last year, but still funny and cute as always.

Bai and her Cubbie are adorable. I love watching them grow. They get big right before our eyes.

Ok, check out our little panda....starting to develop it's tell-tale panda colors and markings.

1099032845_8f41347103.jpg

Narla, that's fantastic news! You guys will have your very own pandas!! I'm so excited for you :)

On a side note, today is the 1st birthday of Mei Lan at ZooAtlanta :)

Here's a new pic of the San Diego Zoo baby. He/She is just over a month old. This is the baby with mom, Bai Yun.

1323271810_51e571a06b.jpg

Narla, that's fantastic news! You guys will have your very own pandas!! I'm so excited for you :)

On a side note, today is the 1st birthday of Mei Lan at ZooAtlanta :)

Here's a new pic of the San Diego Zoo baby. He/She is just over a month old. This is the baby with mom, Bai Yun.

1323271810_51e571a06b.jpg

Thanks KrisNine, yes let's hope they get to making babies soon! 2011 I think the article said...wonder if we get to keep the baby? that article wasn't really clear..

They really are too cute aren't they- I can see why you love them.
Happy 1st birthday Mei Lan :)

We don't get to keep our babies here. They all belong to China :(

Enjoy them while you've got them. They are the most adorable babies :)

Narla!!! That is one of the most precious things I have ever seen in my life!! Look at those chubby cubbies laying on their backs with a bottle! They hold it just like a baby :)

Thank you so much for posting that...it made my day :blowkiss:

I knew you would LOVE looking at that lol- too cute for words those little cubbies :)

^^It sure did take 'em long enough to figure out they had a little girl ;) Such a cute little thing :)

Here's what the little munchkin looks like at 9 weeks. She's 7.3 pounds and full of momma's milk, as is evidenced by this picture :) Cute, huh?

cub4_10-4-07.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back