New Witness Comes Foward

Discussion in 'Netflix Series: Making A Murderer' started by mattaculb, Apr 12, 2021.

1. scipio_usmc

scipio_usmc Member

1) He wasn't railroaded. The victim identified him but was wrong. Everyone believed the victim until DNA testing proved she was wrong. Avery's uncle was a cop at the time and took part in the arrest. The sheriff didn't even know Steven Avery before the rape occurred so claims he was out to get Avery are ridiculous.

2) The people who investigated the 1985 case and prosecuted it were all dead or retired by the time of the Halbach case. Neither Colborn nor Lenk were even police at the time of the investigation let alone worked the case.

3) It is false there was a$5 million insurance limit. Furthermore at the time of the case the average lawsuit settlement was far less than that and he had no evidence of any wrongdoing that violated his civil rights to even warrant a judgment. He was suing Manitowoc for $18 million (a highly inflated figure for his economic losses) to get a decent settlement. Lawyers always pick big numbers and never realize them. The huge judgments that exist now were unheard of back in 2005.

4) The state of Wisconsin provided money to innocent inmates though not convicted for any misconduct but it was not a large amount. That is why they always make up BS to sue in order to get a nuisance settlement. Steven Avery got a nuisance settlement. If his claim were actually worth far more than the $400k he got then his lawyers would not have settled for such a small amount and would have held out. The standard excuse used is that Avery settled so he could pay his trial lawyers. The reality is that he could have gotten a loan or sold the recovery rights to raise money and if the case were actually worth millions his lawyers would have wanted that because they were getting part of the recovery. The depositions were actually not favorable to Avery and that is why they settled. The settlement value could have gone down if they had completed discovery. The fact the sheriff didn't even know Steven Avery was not helpful to the claim he was biased against him.

5) There is zero evidence that any police in 2005 cared about Avery winning money in his case let alone had some misinformed idea that a conviction would make Steven Avery's civil case go away. He was free to pursue that case even while in prison. The only thing that would extinguish the case would have been killing him because the civil rights case in question was not among the kinds of cases that would be able to be taken over by an estate in Wisconsin. police would have no greater interest in the financial outcome of the case than any other taxpayer.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Arrives likes this.

2. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

3. Dru603

Dru603 New Member

I've always been kinda suspicious about BD step dad. I know the Producers and Directors could edit the show to make us feel one way or another but finding the key in middle of floor after couple other cops had searched his room and don't find anything but then one of the cops listed in Avery's lawsuit against the Police walks in and it's right there. Plus the bullet in garage. I don't know who was involved but if I listed people I find questionable Brandons step father is top of list and Her ex boyfriend and friends that somehow got on property to search was suspicious. Way to many things don't add up to me for it to be if I was on that jury to say they proved it beyond a reasonable doubt. Plus that video of the "interview" with Brandon. Minor without any parent or representative. Ridiculous

4. Dru603

Dru603 New Member

He's saying he told the investigators back when it started and was told they know who did it and when he left his number the detective was suppose to call him but never did.

EvaBell65, GoBuckeyes and Tippy Lynn like this.
  5. GoBuckeyes

GoBuckeyes Well-Known Member

Respectfully, the elephant in the room? There's a whole herd. One of those elephants is your previous involvement on the case early on, as you called it. Would you kindly share in what capacity you were involved and what information you can add that points to the guilt of SA and BD? We're trying very hard to evaluate what you're sharing. But thus far, you've accused several members of being blinded by emotion, but we're still waiting for actual evidence or facts to emerge between your lines of emotion and insults; although, I don't think we're any bothered by them. Still, we would like your input on any evidence. Most WS members have the ability to consider information objectively. All you need do is give this group the opportunity by offering facts for consideration.

It's fine that the pivotal point for you that clinches their guilt is that Halbach's remains were allegedly (no photographs exist because none were taken) found in the fire pit. That's what seems to clinch it for you, that and your question, which I'll get to in a moment. The things that have convinced you are fine, but some of what you have mentioned is problematic for some group members. For example, Halbach's remains allegedly found in the fire pit. I find it suspicious that no pictures were taken of the remains in the pit or as they were being gathered. Further, iirc, they weren't found on the first search of the pit. For me, chain of custody issues arise when evidence is not documented as it was found. In this case that would have been photographs when the remains were initially found and photographs as they were gathered, along with the names of everyone in the chain of custody, right down to everyone who sifted through even a thimble-full of the contents of the pit.

You keep asking, "Why would an Avery family member bring evidence back to Avery property?" You've challenged the entire group and apparently many others with this question. Absent an answer to that question, you seem totally convinced of SA's guilt.

First, your question presumes that a murderer is thinking logically and being rational. If they were in a logical frame of thought and being rational, they wouldn't be committing murder. It's MOO, that attempting to apply rationality to a murderous mind is a fool's errand, as the saying goes.

Second, the question assumes that SA can only be innocent if another Avery family member did it. There are several alternate perpetrator theories that do not involve an Avery family member. In those scenarios, why wouldn't the perpetrator bring evidence back to the Avery property?

If you'd kindly tone down the personal attacks about emotion, logic, etc. and just share factual information about this case, not about Zelner's style or abilities, but about the case. We're trying to hear you.

I'm sorry that you didn't find Zelner to be a likeable individual. But your experience with her is just that, your experience. It doesn't impact my opinions on the case. Even more so since you were involved early on, I'd like to hear the evidence that you have.

Concerning wanting a new trial for BD. I recognize that there are legal statues that govern when a new trial is indicated. I also recognize that those were put in place to keep the legal system from grinding to a halt under the weight of new trials, not to protect the innocent who have been wrongly convicted. Innocent people being incarcerated, or the prospect thereof, should concern EVERY American. MOO

6. GoBuckeyes

GoBuckeyes Well-Known Member

Please excuse the misspelling of statutes. It currently reads statues, and I am unable to edit. Thank you.

7. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Member

Really? She never follows procedures?

Tippy Lynn and missy1974 like this.
  8. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Member

I’m sorry about the horror you witnessed, but your memory of the perp. is linked to trauma. Witnessing people push a vehicle isn’t the same thing, IMHO.

9. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Member

I wouldn’t personally feel qualified to determine if a person bases their beliefs on emotions or not.

Last edited: May 13, 2021 at 7:29 PM
  10. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Member

This was originally a response to a post but I janked it all up.

I’m still learning all the bells and whistles here at Websleuths, lol.

11. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

Welcome to WS's @EvaGreen ... it happens haha

Tippy Lynn likes this.
  12. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Member

;) Thank you :)

missy1974 likes this.