New York - Coronavirus COVID-19

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
This thread is to discuss the deadly Coronavirus in the State of New York.

other States in the USA:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Coronavirus main thread for additional helpful links (grocery, coping, etc.): Coronavirus - Covid-19

New York City Mayor: Bill de Blasio
New York Governor: Andrew Cuomo (with daily hearings)

Last edited:
Governor Cuomo's briefing upon the arrival of USNS COMFORT in New York City:

Governor Cuomo's daily briefing on March 30, 2020:

New York update on March 30, 2020:

There are now 66,497 confirmed coronavirus cases in New York, including 9,517 hospitalized, 2,352 ICU patients and 4,204 patients who have been hospitalized and discharged.

The death toll in New York state climbed to 1,218.

“Big picture is the situation is painfully clear now. There’s no question as to what we’re dealing with. There’s no question as to the consequences. There’s no question as to the grief and loss of life. And there’s no question about what we must do. There are only two missions. There are only two operations that we need to perform. First, the public has to be responsible. Stay at home,” Cuomo said. “It is a mandate. Stay at home. If you’re a non-essential worker, stay at home. If you leave the house you’re exposing yourself to danger. If you leave the house, you’re exposing others to danger.”

Cuomo said the isolation can be oppressive but “it is better than the alternative.”

Cuomo said people must stay six feet apart whenever they go out.

Cuomo again threatened to close down playgrounds if people don’t get the message and stay apart.

Coronavirus Update: Cuomo Says 'I'm Seeing People Die All Around Me' As He Appeals For More Federal Government Help

First child dies from the coronavirus in New York City as Gov Cuomo begs for help amid a 'staggering' number of deaths in the state

The age of the child has not been revealed but, according to NBC, the minor did have an underlying condition, but it's unclear what that condition was.

First child dies from the coronavirus in New York City | Daily Mail Online

This news is incredibly sad and very tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with the child’s loved ones.

#StayHomeSaveLives

NEW YORK
Skip to main content

March 30, 2020 | 4:25 pm Information on Novel Coronavirus

Governor Cuomo has put NY State on PAUSE: All non-essential workers are directed to work from home, and everyone is required to maintain a 6-foot distance from others in public. Get the Facts

• Translate
    cleardot.gif
    Select Language
    cleardot.gif
    cleardot.gif

Novel Coronavirus
Call the Hotline: 1-888-364-3065 or Ask a Question

We're Stronger If We All Work Together. Get Involved: How You Can Help

County by County Breakdown of Positive Cases
Last Update: March 30, 2020 | 3:58PM
County Positive Cases
Albany 217
Allegany 7
Broome 35
Cattaraugus 6
Cayuga 3
Chautauqua 5
Chemung 15
Chenango 17
Clinton 17
Columbia 26
Cortland 8
Delaware 11
Dutchess 392
Erie 376
Essex 4
Franklin 6
Fulton 1
Genesee 9
Greene 10
Hamilton 2
Herkimer 12
Jefferson 11
Lewis 2
Livingston 12
Madison 34
Monroe 242
Montgomery 6
Nassau 7,344
Niagara 41
New York City 37,453
Oneida 34
Onondaga 180
Ontario 20
Orange 1,435
Orleans 4
Oswego 14
Otsego 17
Putnam 167
Rensselaer 40
Rockland 2,511
Saratoga 105
Schenectady 80
Schoharie 6
Schuyler 2
St. Lawrence 13
Steuben 19
Suffolk 5,791
Sullivan 101
Tioga 4
Tompkins 66
Ulster 190
Warren 18
Washington 7
Wayne 15
Westchester 9,326
Wyoming 8
Total Number of Positive Cases 66,497

Novel Coronavirus
logo_footer.png

Coronavirus updates: New York governor to health care workers: "Please come help us"
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Monday called on health care workers across the country to help with his state's response to the coronavirus pandemic. "I am asking health care professionals across the country: if you don't have a health care crisis in your community, please come help us in New York now."

[...]

Fauci believes coronavirus will return in the fall, but it will be a "totally different ballgame"
Dr. Anthony Fauci said Monday that he "would anticipate" the coronavirus will return in the fall — but that it will be a "totally different ballgame" if that happens.

[...]

"It's a war without bullets": First-hand accounts from health care workers
On this "National Doctors' Day," there are urgent calls for help on Monday from doctors and nurses who are risking their lives while treating coronavirus patients. President Trump said Monday that he's considering hazard pay for health care workers, but gave no details.

"There will be several things that would be different," Dr. Fauci said. "Our ability to be able to go out and test, identify, isolate, and contact trace will be orders of magnitude better than what it was just a couple of months ago."

[...]

NEW YORK

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
New York is fighting a war against this virus and we need all the help we can get.
On behalf of the family of New York, I'm deeply grateful to:

-Boll and Branch for hospital mattresses
-Restore Global for coveralls
-Facebook and Loreal for hand sanitizer
-Suburban Propane for propane services
-Goldman Sachs for masks
-Wayfair for mattresses, linens, sheets & pillows for field hospitals
-Walmart for use of parking lots & store facilities infrastructure
-Keurig and Dr. Pepper for coffee/beverages for volunteers
-Niagara Water for bottles of water
-Amneal Pharma for Hydroxychloroquine
-Long Island Ambulatory Surgery Center for a ventilator
-Uniqlo for masks
-Corning Life Sciences for centrifuge tubes and cryovials
-NBCUniversal for medical supplies and PPE
-The Office of NewYorkStateAG for protective masks and gloves
-The Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities in NY for ventilators and PPE
-JUDY for N-95 masks
-Huawei for N-95 masks, isolation gowns, medical goggles and gloves

I want to thank @rihanna and the Rihanna Foundation for donating Personal Protective Equipment to New York State.

We're so appreciative of your help and that of so many others who have stepped up.

Cuomo scheduled to be a guest on Lawrence O'Donnell, MSNBC 10:00pm.

I hope he had time for a quick nap in between his appearance on the Comfort, his presser and now.

Cuomo scheduled to be a guest on Lawrence O'Donnell, MSNBC 10:00pm.

I hope he had time for a quick nap in between his appearance on the Comfort, his presser and now.

I just watched his brother interview him on CNN during Cuomo Primetime. They bickered again about mom, Matilda. :)

I don’t know when that man sleeps. God bless him.

Last edited:
NYC/NY

<snip> Part of the Queens stadium complex that’s home to the U.S. Open will be transformed into a temporary hospital to aid in the fight against the coronavirus.

An indoor training area at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center is expected to be turned into a 350-bed medical facility beginning on Tuesday, USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier confirmed.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/parts...-to-be-turned-into-hospital-amid-coronavirus/

8 NYC Transit workers die due to complications from COVID-19

New York City Transit Interim President Sarah Feinberg and Acting MTA Bus Company President Craig Cipriano released a statement Monday on the tragic passing of Scott Elijah, Caridad Santiago, Ernesto Hernandez, Victor Zapana and Warren Tucker.

Mr. Elijah was a 15-year track worker with the Combined Action/Emergency Response Unit, based in Long Island City, Queens. Ms. Santiago was a cleaner for 13 years, assigned to the Stations Department in the Bronx. Mr. Hernandez was a bus operator for 15 years, most recently working out of the Jackie Gleason Bus Depot. Mr. Zapana was a supervisor in the Stations Department who worked from various locations throughout the subway system for almost 30 years. Mr. Tucker was a bus mechanic for almost five years at the MTA Bus Company, assigned this year to the Central Maintenance Facility in East New York, Brooklyn.

NYC sees a coronavirus death every 2.9 minutes in horrific six-hour stretch

The coronavirus death toll in New York City surged to 914 on Monday afternoon, accelerated by six hellish hours that saw the tally spike by 124 — or one death every 2.9 minutes.

Of the more than 38,000 cases, 7,741 patients, or about 20 percent, are hospitalized, the statistics show.

Queens remains the hardest hit borough by a sizable margin, with 12,756 cases, or just over a third.

Brooklyn (with 10,171 cases; 27-percent) comes in second, followed by The Bronx (6,925; 18-percent), Manhattan (6,060; 16-percent) and Staten Island (2,140; six-percent).

Monday’s horrifying leap followed a similar period on Sunday in which 98 deaths were logged.

Health care professionals fly from Atlanta to New York to help treat coronavirus patients
The picture shows nurses and doctors holding their hands up in the shape of a heart as the flight prepares for takeoff from Atlanta.

Brings back memories of young medics and nurses from Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio the night of 9.11, in line buying snacks and set to be deployed at dawn to NYC to help victims there - so dedicated and alive it made me fight tears seeing them, I was so proud.

But most soon had deployments canceled; there were very, very few survivors in those buildings. Nothing could be done. Tonight, seeing the same spirited medicos, this time civilians, brings back the utter pride I have in my country. I hope we are not too late to avoid massive loss.

Brings back memories of young medics and nurses from Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio the night of 9.11, in line buying snacks and set to be deployed at dawn to NYC to help victims there - so dedicated and alive it made me fight tears seeing them, I was so proud.

But most soon had deployments canceled; there were very, very few survivors in those buildings. Nothing could be done. Tonight, seeing the same spirited medicos, this time civilians, brings back the utter pride I have in my country. I hope we are not too late to avoid massive loss.

I still remember seeing people putting together makeshift stretchers after the buildings collapsed on 9/11. They were never used.

As far as refrigerator trucks outside hospitals now, we all saw that throughout the city after 9/11.

Central Park's East Meadow on the Upper East Side, normally a spot for picnickers and sunbathers, was converted into a 68-bed field hospital designed as a respiratory care unit. Samaritan's Purse, a Christian humanitarian aid organization, set up the Central Park tents in cooperation with FEMA.

The Army Corps of Engineers transformed Manhattan's Javits Convention Center into a makeshift 1,000-bed field hospital.

The USNS Comfort, staffed by federal medical professionals, will be used to treat non-coronavirus patients, thereby freeing city hospitals to expand for the surge in coronavirus cases.

New York coronovirus: Central Park and NY harbor are now home to makeshift hospitals - CNN

The cavernous Brooklyn Cruise Terminal will be transformed into a field hospital in the near future. The cruise terminal in Red Hook’s Clinton Wharf will add 1,000 beds to the state’s roster, as it attempts to increase its hospital capacity from roughly 53,000 to 140,000 before the outbreak’s peak, which officials estimate could only be three weeks away.

“I want to have one in every borough,” the governor said. “I want to have one for The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn.

The Downtown Brooklyn Marriott and Brooklyn Center Nursing Home in Crown Heights are also being considered as field hospital locations.

Cuomo: 1,000 bed hospital coming to Red Hook Cruise Terminal - Brooklyn Paper

Aqueduct Racetrack canceled its spring horse racing season, as officials plan to build an overflow hospital there to combat the coronavirus crisis. Officials are hoping to have as many as 1,000 extra beds at Aqueduct.

Coronavirus: Aqueduct to host overflow hospital as spring horse racing season canceled

The Westchester County Center has hosted WNBA games and the development league Knicks but it’ll soon be a home for those sickened by the coronavirus.

Coronavirus: It'll take a week to add hospital beds at Westchester County Center

Elected officials are working with federal agencies to bring a 1,000-bed field hospital to the College of Staten Island’s Willowbrook campus as the borough prepares to deal with the worst of the coronavirus outbreak

Officials working to convert College of Staten Island to 1,000-bed field hospital

ny-coronavirus-hospitals-march-28-1024x633.jpg

'It's surreal,' nurse practitioner says of field hospital set up in Central Park amid coronavirus pandemic

Shelly Kelly, a nurse practitioner from Tulsa, Oklahoma, never imagined that on her first trip to New York City, she would be unable to visit some of the area's biggest attractions.

"I had no idea that on my first trip to New York I wouldn't be able to see a Broadway show. I wouldn't be able to go out to all the nice restaurants I've heard about. I wouldn't be able to see people around Times Square. It's completely different," said Kelly, who landed in New York on Sunday.

Instead, Kelly will be among a few dozen nurses and doctors working at a field hospital set up in Central Park — across the street from Mount Sinai Hospital — for patients battling COVID-19.

The field hospital will have 68 beds, 10 of them in a makeshift intensive care unit for patients who need ventilators.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiphasGrace
Back