GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

My uncle died unexpectedly and his poor wife tried using his finger to get access to his photos as she didn’t know the passcode. It didn’t work. There needs to be a current from a live body for it to work.
Wow, that is amazing! In terms of a fact. Is it an intentional part of the phone to help people in these situations, or just a flaw?

My housemate just confirmed this too. Unreal.

Again: anyone found that 'hangovers and boyfriends' article? The last thing I want to read as it seems the final slithers of information on Grace. Even a PM. After that I can close this chapter. Thanks guys.

Wow, that is amazing! In terms of a fact. Is it an intentional part of the phone to help people in these situations, or just a flaw?

My housemate just confirmed this too. Unreal.

Again: anyone found that 'hangovers and boyfriends' article? The last thing I want to read as it seems the final slithers of information on Grace. Even a PM. After that I can close this chapter. Thanks guys.
That was a paywall article from memory and they changed the headline after a few hours to something different. Can’t remember the words they used.

Here are the main facts from the paywall article. They have changed the headline to 'Brightest star in Heaven', which is much more respectful than the previous one. I have paraphrased and not quoted anything directly, so I hope that is ok:

- Grace was born in Brentwood on 2nd December 1996. She was the third child of David and Gillian Millane and their only daughter. She had a happy, healthy childhood and did not have any illnesses or operations. Her father ran a successful asbestos-removing business. The family moved to their home in the Essex village of Ramsden Bellhouse when Grace was ten.

- Grace went to St Joseph's Catholic Primary School in Stanford-Le-Hope, then the all-girls Brentwood Ursuline Convent High School, before attending the selective St Thomas More High School for sixth form.

- The Millane family were close and Grace had lots of cousins. The family held garden parties in the summer, went on holidays in Europe and decorated the front of the house with a large tree at Christmas. Grace was particularly close to her mother – her father described them as ‘good friends’, and had a good relationship with her brothers, who she often had 'banter' with.

- Grace loved music and went to the V Festival in Essex. She played hockey and joined the Thurrock Hockey Club at a young age. She was a talented artist and one of her artworks was exhibited at London's Mall Galleries. Her chaplain at school said she was a warm and friendly student, with a bright personality that drew people in. During high school and for the first year of university, she had a boyfriend named Matt Gadsden. Her father said they had a nice relationship but decided to go their own ways.

- Grace described travelling as her 'passion'. She visited Iceland with friends in February 2013 and went to Los Angeles in January 2015. In March 2018, she went on a trip with university friends to Rimini in Italy.

- In 2015, Grace moved to the University of Lincoln to study for a degree in advertising and marketing. Living three hours away from home, she enjoyed university life and spent her free time going on hockey tours and partying at student club nights. She often posted on social media about missing her dogs, having hangovers and falling asleep at her desk. She was open with her friends, discussing relationships and sexual preferences.

- Grace was hardworking and keen to make money. In the summer of her first year at university, Grace had a job as a lifeguard at Camp America in Pennsylvania. She spent three months there and her colleagues spoke of how funny she was, often having chats by the pool. During this time she visited amusement parks, helped children make friendship bracelets and explored the area. She often said she missed her family and dogs and contacted home whenever she could. She had a brief relationship with a boy at camp but did not stay in touch with him. In the summer of her second year at university, she temped in her father's office.

- Grace graduated from the University of Lincoln in September 2018. She was looking forward to having a career but first wanted to travel the world. She was most excited about visiting New Zealand, as she loved nature and wanted to see the mountains. She had a boyfriend who she had been with for a year, but they broke up as neither wanted a long-distance relationship. In the weeks before she went travelling, Grace donated her long hair to the Little Princess Trust, which provides wigs to children and young people who have lost their hair.

- She left for a solo year-long trip on 26th October, saying goodbye to her family at London Heathrow before boarding a flight to South America. Her trip started with a group tour in Peru before she travelled to Bolivia and flew from there to New Zealand. After New Zealand, she planned to visit Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. She was due to arrive back in the UK on June 26th so that she could attend her brother Michael's wedding in August. After some time at home, she then planned to travel to North America to visit family.

- From the moment she left, Grace kept in touch with her family through WhatsApp, text messages, Facebook and Instagram. She told them she loved hiking to Machu Picchu. On November 20th, she reached New Zealand and visited the Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga. She had a close relationship with her two-year-old niece, Harper and sent photos of toys and clothes she had bought for her. On November 29th, she checked into Base Backpackers Hostel, planning to stay until December 8th. Fellow travellers remember has as a nice, normal girl who was looking forward to her birthday and her trip to South Island.

- Grace’s family last heard from her on December 1st, before she was murdered. With her home community in shock, Grace’s father and uncle Martin brought her body home. Hundreds attended her funeral, where the congregation sang ‘Amazing Grace’ and her father and two brothers were pallbearers. The nearby town of Wickford set up a memorial to Grace and a candlelight vigil was held, with mourners lining the streets. Her family have since raised funds for White Ribbon, a charity which aims to end male violence against women.

- Quizzes, Soul nights, and charity hockey matches have been held in Grace’s memory. LL Loves, Grace’s favourite jewellery brand, created bracelets and earrings in her name to raise money for charity. Thurrock Hockey Club also has a Sunshine Shield, donated by Grace’s family, to reward players for showing the positive qualities that represent their daughter. The Millanes also set up the Love Grace project, where handbags containing toiletries and makeup are donated to victims of domestic violence.

- Grace's brother Michael married his wife Victoria in August, with their daughter Harper as a flower girl. The family felt Grace’s absence but hope that her memory will live on in the form of donations to White Ribbon and the Love Grace project. The family home is a five-minute walk away from St Mary the Virgin Church, where Grace is buried. A heart-shaped stone at her grave reads ‘Grace, Brightest star in Heaven.’

Last edited:
Here are the main facts from the paywall article. They have changed the headline to 'Brightest star in Heaven', which is much more respectful than the previous one. I have paraphrased and not quoted anything directly, so I hope that is ok:

- Grace was born in Brentwood on 2nd December 1996. She was the third child of David and Gillian Millane and their only daughter. She had a happy, healthy childhood and did not have any illnesses or operations. Her father ran a successful asbestos-removing business. The family moved to their home in the Essex village of Ramsden Bellhouse when Grace was ten.

- Grace went to St Joseph's Catholic Primary School in Stanford-Le-Hope, then the all-girls Brentwood Ursuline Convent High School, before attending the selective St Thomas More High School for sixth form.

- The Millane family were close and Grace had lots of cousins. The family held garden parties in the summer, went on holidays in Europe and decorated the front of the house with a large tree at Christmas. Grace was particularly close to her mother – her father described them as ‘good friends’, and had a good relationship with her brothers, who she often had 'banter' with.

- Grace loved music and went to the V Festival in Essex. She played hockey and joined the Thurrock Hockey Club at a young age. She was a talented artist and one of her artworks was exhibited at London's Mall Galleries. Her chaplain at school said she was a warm and friendly student, with a bright personality that drew people in. During high school and for the first year of university, she had a boyfriend named Matt Gadsden. Her father said they had a nice relationship but decided to go their own ways.

- Grace described travelling as her 'passion'. She visited Iceland with friends in February 2013 and went to Los Angeles in January 2015. In March 2018, she went on a trip with university friends to Rimini in Italy.

- In 2015, Grace moved to the University of Lincoln to study for a degree in advertising and marketing. Living three hours away from home, she enjoyed university life and spent her free time going on hockey tours and partying at student club nights. She often posted on social media about missing her dogs, having hangovers and falling asleep at her desk. She was open with her friends, discussing relationships and sexual preferences.

- Grace was hardworking and keen to make money. In the summer of her first year at university, Grace had a job as a lifeguard at Camp America in Pennsylvania. She spent three months there and her colleagues spoke of how funny she was, often having chats by the pool. During this time she visited amusement parks, helped children make friendship bracelets and explored the area. She often said she missed her family and dogs and contacted home whenever she could. She had a brief relationship with a boy at camp but did not stay in touch with him. In the summer of her second year at university, she temped in her father's office.

- Grace graduated from the University of Lincoln in September 2018. She was looking forward to having a career but first wanted to travel the world. She was most excited about visiting New Zealand, as she loved nature and wanted to see the mountains. She had a boyfriend who she had been with for a year, but they broke up as neither wanted a long-distance relationship. In the weeks before she went travelling, Grace donated her long hair to the Little Princess Trust, which provides wigs to children and young people who have lost their hair.

- She left for a solo year-long trip on 26th October, saying goodbye to her family at London Heathrow before boarding a flight to South America. Her trip started with a group tour in Peru before she travelled to Bolivia and flew from there to New Zealand. After New Zealand, she planned to visit Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. She was due to arrive back in the UK on June 26th so that she could attend her brother Michael's wedding in August. After some time at home, she then planned to travel to North America to visit family.

- From the moment she left, Grace kept in touch with her family through WhatsApp, text messages, Facebook and Instagram. She told them she loved hiking to Machu Picchu. On November 20th, she reached New Zealand and visited the Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga. She had a close relationship with her two-year-old niece, Harper and sent photos of toys and clothes she had bought for her. On November 29th, she checked into Base Backpackers Hostel, planning to stay until December 8th. Fellow travellers remember has as a nice, normal girl who was looking forward to her birthday and her trip to South Island.

- Grace’s family last heard from her on December 1st, before she was murdered. With her home community in shock, Grace’s father and uncle Martin brought her body home. Hundreds attended her funeral, where the congregation sang ‘Amazing Grace’ and her father and two brothers were pallbearers. The nearby town of Wickford set up a memorial to Grace and a candlelight vigil was held, with mourners lining the streets. Her family have since raised funds for White Ribbon, a charity which aims to end male violence against women.

- Quizzes, Soul nights, and charity hockey matches have been held in Grace’s memory. LL Loves, Grace’s favourite jewellery brand, created bracelets and earrings in her name to raise money for charity. Thurrock Hockey Club also has a Sunshine Shield, donated by Grace’s family, to reward players for showing the positive qualities that represent their daughter. The Millanes also set up the Love Grace project, where handbags containing toiletries and makeup are donated to victims of domestic violence.

- Grace's brother Michael married his wife Victoria in August, with their daughter Harper as a flower girl. The family felt Grace’s absence but hope that her memory will live on in the form of donations to White Ribbon and the Love Grace project. The family home is a five-minute walk away from St Mary the Virgin Church, where Grace is buried. A heart-shaped stone at her grave reads ‘Grace, Brightest star in Heaven.’
Thanks for posting. Gosh I think this makes me the saddest I’ve felt so far. She just sounds like a nice fun normal girl who was living a full life and had a good heart. She would’ve had a bright future. So angry that such a loser managed to ruin it all.

Thank you Ruby for posting the info from the article. So sad to read this and think that a lovely young lady has been lost far too early to this world.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for posting the information.

This is why the case has made me sign up to a forum to discuss it. She was so normal. Going out on the piss in uni, the maturity to accept when relationships are over... even that fling with a guy in America - it’s those situations where you understand to never contact them again, because it’ll never be as fun as it was. And the fun came because it wasn’t supposed to be repeated. I wonder if that guy knew what happened to her?

Life is a fickle thing.

The overriding sense I can’t get rid of is the normality. It is so sad. All I want to do is give her a cuddle.

Its summer here again and I can imagine the light hot on her legs and arms in the Auckland arvo, thinking ‘why not?’ to a date, absolute adventure and absolute youthfulness. Having fun, having a laugh, having a kiss. It’s a pity she chose a loser who did not deserve someone so normal - despite her cute face and education and background, his sociopathic issues aren’t even deserving of someone normal.

Thanks for the article again. I feel I can move on from the case now. Thanks to everyone in this thread too. Being able to chat to other people about it was nice.

I can only echo the sentiments of my fellow contributions above... Thanks for posting.

Much of that I had no idea about, and it does sort of make the murder of Grace all the more tragic as the background shows how much colour she had in her life.

Let us not forget folks! It's now the 1st December 2019 in New Zealand, and this evening will mark exactly a year since she was mislead & callously murdered in the city life hotel.

You will be in our thoughts this weekend *Grace, family & friends.

It’s so sad, a bright young woman’s life taken for some oddball loser’s gratification. The part of the article about all the things she had planned was very poignant. She never completed her trip or watched her brother get married. The last time she saw her family was when she said goodbye to them at the airport, excited to embark on her gap year like millions of other young people before her. I wish she’d never matched with this man on Tinder, or that she’d ignored his messages. The direction of a life can change in an instant.

Thanks to all on this thread for providing updates on the trial and discussion about the case. I hope that Grace’s family and friends find comfort in remembering the vibrant girl she was.

This 2022 (thought it was 2021) thing is odd, what could be happening between now and then that changes the situation regarding his name? It's not his age ie he's not a minor, and it's not a turning of age for any kids he might have. So the "another court case" theory seems likely, but is it such a big case that it will take that long to conclude? Seems unlikely. I'm hella puzzled about it!

One case, yes, if there is more than one case to investigate/try then it'll take longer

Very interesting piece from the woman who went on the tinder date the day after grace was killed. She talks in detail about the conversation she had with the killer, the lies he told her and how uncomfortable she felt.
Grace Millane murder: Woman who went on date with killer warns women to trust their instincts

Thanks for that, I've just read it!!.

Looks like this date was used as a platform to talk about his previous night's work in a third party context. He obviously thoroughly enjoyed the angle of it, and the fact he was able to hide behind the pale with a stranger.

Given what he had done, he obviously didn't care about his performance with the date. She was absolutely right, *it was nothing more than an simple exercise to relax his guilty conscience and work out new ways to escape the authorities.

There was no way she could have known what he had done, nor anything she could have done even if she had, (other than go to the police), as Grace could have already been dead for up to 12 hours at this point.

At least this woman managed to abandon herself from the poison of this lying evil deviant. She is entitled to move on with her life without guilt:- or looking back, she did nothing wrong other than meet this guy by a stroke of misfortune.

Kempson told her: ‘It’s funny how guys can make one wrong move and go to jail for the rest of their lives.’ She wrote: ‘In hindsight, it was as if he was using this date to process what he’d done in a rather roundabout way – his brain needed to get it out but his mouth held him back.

She wrote: ‘I was unnerved during the date, so much so I lied about where my car was parked. I also wish I could have done more to help Grace. ‘My instincts told me something was not right with this man and, while it took me a long time to write this, I want to share my experience so other women can remove themselves from situations they feel unsafe in.’
Grace Millane's killer 'tested theories' on Tinder date after murder | Metro News

How are they still protecting the killer's identity, even after conviction? That is almost taboo to me. Here in the states he would be convicted in court of public opinion long before opening statements at trial (I dont necessarily agree with that) <modsnip: violation of suppression law> Can New Zealand ever name him publicly? Even after his sentencing in February?

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE NOTE:

Although Websleuths is based in the US, they generally try to abide by laws of other countries as it relates to publication bans / suppression orders.

Although it hasn't been posted here, please do not bring the convicted individual's name to Websleuths or discuss/speculate on the NZ court's reasons for the suppression order. You may link to MSM (i.e. Daily Mail) that contains the information, but not bring any of that particular information to Websleuths for discussion.

We know it sucks but ... Thank You for complying.
Bumping this post

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back