GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...6&page=1&_suid=140537664995009798547005641134

Abigail Hernandez Case Archive. Everything is there from the beginning, and updated as there is news.

Not many views, but it's up to date.

I hope that everyone who has been following Abigail's disappearance looks through all of this again. I am going to go back through it all this weekend. Thank you for sharing the link. I check in to see if anyone has any new ideas on here a few times a week. Maybe if we look through it all again one more time... Prayers to the Hernandez family.

Would be curious to hear from other WS'ers. Has your opinion of why Abby disappeared changed now that so much time has passed?

I know that my initial gut instinct on this case was that she was taken by someone she knew and killed shortly thereafter. After the letter was revealed in November 2013, I felt that Abby had left willingly with someone older and was (at least in her mind) 'choosing' to be gone, but would be found or come home soon.

Now? It is my opinion that there was more contact with the family after that initial letter we heard about. But I am just not sure exactly what I think happened anymore.

Would be curious to hear from other WS'ers. Has your opinion of why Abby disappeared changed now that so much time has passed?

I know that my initial gut instinct on this case was that she was taken by someone she knew and killed shortly thereafter. After the letter was revealed in November 2013, I felt that Abby had left willingly with someone older and was (at least in her mind) 'choosing' to be gone, but would be found or come home soon.

I don't know what to think at this point. I'm beyond discouraged but still check daily.
My 3 most likely scenarios:
1. Some creep has already taken her life.
2. She's been coerced into an illegal and scary set of activities beyond her will and hopefully LE can rescue her.
3. She experienced some terrible trauma before leaving home; she blames those closest to her for not protecting her and she is starting fresh. Sadly, this could be combined with either #1 or #2 above.

From the way certain things have been phrased by the family and police, I also believe there has been further contact. Probably coerced though. I wish she would come home, though I don't think she has freedom of action.
I still have no clue as to "why" it all happened. I waiver back and forth on that. My biggest questions through it all are that the publicized pictures of her cell phone, purse, necklace......but make no mention of the backpack/bookbag. That seems curious to me. Also, not releasing the town the letter was postmarked from indicates to me the police are or were, watching suspects in that area. Publicizing it would probably get the public there searching and "spook" whomever they were watching.

Initially, I honestly thought that someone Abby knew and trusted had hurt her. I still am not sure this isn't the case, but with with the communication that has been sent I can't be sure. I have never been able to shake that initial feeling though.

Abby is in my thoughts and prayers every single day, I pray she is alive and well, or at least alive and surviving.

Abby's case has shades of all the worst fears for young beautiful girls. I dearly hope that she comes home very soon.

It seems easier to believe she would have gone with someone she knew and trusted at first, but that begs the question as to why. What would make her take that step? If it was someone familiar with her it she was probably taken away under false pretenses. I did read that police dogs followed the trail to her home, yet police said she didn't get there that day.....but I cannot verify if the dogs actually did follow the trail there or not. If they did, I've often thought maybe the "she didn't make it home" part was information purposely kept back. So many unknowns and "what ifs".

SBM.

My opinion has not changed from the beginning - I believe she was taken against her will. Whether she is still alive, I don't know...I think it's possible she is still alive, but just as equally possible that she isn't.

I do think it's possible it was someone she knew that took her, if even only peripherally, but also could have been a complete stranger.

I waiver on the details (currently alive or not, stranger abduction or not), but not on the fact that she was taken against her will. Even with the letter that we know of and the possibility of more correspondence, I don't think she is gone willingly.

Now? It is my opinion that there was more contact with the family after that initial letter we heard about. But I am just not sure exactly what I think happened anymore.

My thoughts haven't changed much. I believed Abby met with someone she thought she could trust and it went wrong, and I still think that is what happened. I just wasn't sure if she had been killed or if she was being kept against her will. When we learned of the letter in the presser, and the mention of Ariel Castro I thought she was being kept against her will and had high hopes she would be found soon, those hopes are fading but I do still hope she will be found safe.

I still do not think she left willingly (ran away) met with someone willingly maybe, but not with the intention of leaving for good.

Good question.
My thoughts have changed a little. At first I thought she most likely ran away (given the case details) and the famous letter from Abby to her mom made that seem more likely and then the 'open' letter style online responses from both her mother and also her father seemed to bear out that they too believed she had run away. No one was speaking to an abductor in those messages. No one was saying 'please release my daughter so she can come home' or 'I will pay you to just let her come home' but instead the open responses were spoken to Abby as if she probably could come home but yet tinged with just a bit of doubt about her ability to contact home, perhaps to encourage more communication from Abby.

Now if I had a daughter and really, in my gut, thought she was a kidnap victim I would not waste time pretending in open letters and videos that my daughter could willingly come home in my initial open response. I would be speaking to the kidnapper and asking for her return and offering to reward for her release and so forth. If I was unsure I would address both possibilities in my very first 'open letter'/ 'open video response' and not just speak to just one possibility in that response.

Both her parents initial responses convinced me that they believed her to truly be a runaway and had some cause, more than what we in the public know, to see things in that light and very little indication of a kidnapping in spite of a parent's later assertions that they thought otherwise.

Having concluded Abby was most likely a runaway I then considered whether she ran away on her own or not. I read where it was said that she had no income of her own and right away I knew there is no way to know that to be true. People often work 'under the radar' taking cash at taverns or hotels and other places (not even mentioning the sex trade because it is possible to make cash money without that.) I have read a case of a person about Abby's age working for cash as a waitress before. So in my mind it is entirely possible that Abby could have an income of her own. She could even pretend to be an undocumented illegal in the country and we all know there is a huge underground economy involving undocumented workers.

Back to whether she went alone or not: She could, in my opinion, earn a living for herself. Additionally I have read cases where 14 and 15 yrs olds have hitchhiked out on their own and went several states away so I know it sometimes happens. But my question was did Abby leave all by herself and so to answer that I had to also look at other case details. I next looked at the fact that she wrote a snail mail letter. (Snail mail being a term for an old fashioned physical letter mailed through the postal service.) Snail mail has almost fallen completely out of use these days and so has cursive writing, especially for people Abby's age. It is more natural for someone 14 to 15 to think of text or cell phone call or email before snail mail as a means of communication. I did some reading online about cursive and learned it is considered dead to the new generations of children coming up through the schools.
But using snail mail does not equal having used cursive to write the letter and many still use block letter printing when handwriting so it is still possible to have a handwritten letter (as the letter from Abby was twice reported to have been handwritten) and yet to not have it written in cursive. Why all the words in my post about the letter being snail mail and being hand written? It is because it is something that older people seem to be more likely to do and seem more likely to think of doing and that led me to think perhaps Abby left on her own on foot and went to meet an older person probably a love interest and probably a male love interest who then prompted her to write a snail mail home. There has been a spate of cases in the news of young women about Abby's age (14 to 15) that took off with older male love interests, in some cases much older. So it is possible and not out of character for her age group. But is that what Abby did? It would offer her the easiest way to get transportation out of the area and to have a place to stay all lined up and at first I thought it most likely was what Abby did. The change to that thinking is a slight one. I have noted that in one of his 'open letters' to Abby her father said he wrote a letter to abby's mom ('. . .Once we hit the six month mark that you went missing I decided to take a leap of faith by writing a letter to your Mother. . .' (BBM) I did not link to source because I can't remember if WS allows us to in this instance but I went to the web page and read the letter again before posting today.

Her father having said that he actually wrote a letter to her mother made me realize that it is possible that he meant he wrote a snail mail letter and that in turn made me realize that a daughter learns things from her parents and thus Abby could possibly have learned the use of snail mail from her dad. (She could also have learned it from her mom but this is the only time in MSM that it was reported about either parent possibly using snail mail in the time context of Abby's disappearance so I worked with what I have.) This made me ask myself if Abby learned snail mail from her dad and if so did she learn to use it a lot or only when you must communicate something really important. I do not know the answers to those 2 questions but it has raised the question of Abby having thought of sending the snail mail letter she wrote to her mom without an older person needing to suggest it to her and that is a new possibility which makes me re-examine my earlier thoughts of her most likely being with an older person.

I still think she most likely is with an older someone but I now see more possibility than before that she could be on her own.

Next is the question of whether she met someone and then ran off only to change her mind and not be allowed to return home or perhaps to even have met with foul play. In one open letter style video Abbys' mother Zenya says '. . .How much communication have we had … in the past four months . . .minimal . . .' (BBM) The word minimal is heard if you play the video but not quoted in the text of the news article which stops quoting just short of that word.
http://www.newhampshire.com/article/20140205/NEWS07/140209516

This use of the word minimal leads me to think perhaps the first letter from Abby is not the only communication that has passed between them. It is not absolute proof but it does make me think it possible. This makes me think it possible that Abby has, or has had, some amount of ability to contact home which makes it seem less likely to be the usual straight up kidnap foul play sort of thing.

Abby may be with some one older but I see less and less to make me think of foul play possibilities.

The snail mail addressing anomaly (that Abby sent the letter to a PO box instead of her normal home mailing address) has caused me to posit some additional thoughts about the case but for now I am mulling them over to myself.

Hope this helps.

Wow, love that post! Very well written and thought out. I noticed in an interview from this spring the mother was asked if she had any further communication and she said she couldn't comment on that due to the investigation. That got me thinking it is a "yes" because had there been none, saying "no" would not hamper police work since there would be nothing to interfere with.
The other thing about snail mail is that perhaps it is less traceable? If she texted or sent emails, wouldn't someone be able to track IP addresses? I am hazy on computer stuff but you can mail a letter and be more anonymous as to location. Postmarks show where it was mailed from but not where it was written. But sending it to a postal box and not the house must have some significance.
When I see messages from the family it does make me think she is alive. The messages seem to me to be an attempt to convince her to return. If she left willingly for a new life, she would know electronic means could give away her location, which may explain the silent cell phone.
So many unknowns........

There are things about this case that are still bothering me. I wonder if people will be willing, along with me, to review the threads from the beginning - not to post and rehash old topics, but just to review. To study and to ponder. Then if something looks like it might be significant then just post a comment with the original post number .

My feeling is that the real evidence is in that first day. On that day the population, the culture, the environment was so out of sync with children attending school that I wonder if someone didn't work that situation to their advantage. This thought puts us way before the 'letter' which was postmarked on Oct. 23 and received on Nov. 6.

Abby went missing on Oct. 9. During those first few days people were in shock up there. I came up 7 days after and I remember vividly the bewildered look on peoples faces, the few posters in storefronts and on sidewalk signs, but mostly the news reports and the comments of local people online and in the news.

I would ask that people review AmandaReckonwith's archive @ http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cra...98547005641134

News reports in those first few days, IMO, hold the key to what happened to Abby. Interviews and opinions of people affected by her disappearance are very important. Something in that first week led to the development of the "letter", whether she wrote it or did not, whether she wrote it willingly or under duress, or if someone else wrote it pretending to be her, makes no difference - something that happened, was reported on, or wasn't, or something that took place the day Abby went missing - sparked that letter.

I am asking that we look at that and NOT the letter, but what led up to that. Does anyone understand what I am asking? LOL

Thanks so much!

Prior to the letter, there were conflicting theories and information out there. There were those who thought she was abducted, those who thought she left willingly, and those who thought she had been tricked into leaving by someone she knew. The first few days and into that first weekend, it seems most thought she had just left. There were appeals for her to come back home, "we want you back" etc. These were addressed directly to Abby, not to a third party or possible perpetrator. Her mom had asked for anyone who noticed any changes in her behaviour to notify police. All this suggested to me upon reviewing it, that while running away seemed unlikely, her family at least was focused on the behaviour aspect and for her to just come back.
The news reports did say she had arrived home and then disappeared. They said (this was media, not the police) she had arrived home. The actual news conference however did say they had tracked her " to a specific area". No location was provided though. It might have been her home.....or not. It was interesting that human remains were found in the area by searchers, and if someone were to disappear, it clearly showed just how easily it could be to just wander off and not be found for a long long time.
As time passed, and no word had arrived, it seemed the focus shifted to someone else being involved. I could not determine if that was because of some new evidence, or just the plain fact that a young girl needs someone to help provide for her. The officials continued to stress it was a missing persons case. No evidence suggested running away or abduction.
The newspaper had printed on the 24th part of a press conference, which I believe was conducted the day before. In part it said if she was "in a position to contact us, all she has to do is reach out to her mom". If this conference had been held on the 23, then appeared in the paper the following day (a guess on my part) then it fits with the timing of the letter. Is this what triggered the letter?
I am guessing at the next part, but I'm sure it was done and just not reported. However, she was seen walking home on a trail. So we know at one point she was at place X. Her cell sent a message at 2:53. Her cell phone pinged a tower at 3:07. So at some point between being seen by a classmate at point X, given a normal walking speed, she should have arrived at point Y in so many minutes. To me, that would be the focal point of the investigation. Was the cell shut off? Taken and smashed by a third party? But establishing what happened between last being seen on the trail and the cell phone ping would be a priority. I'm sure it was, but guessing also nothing was found.
The other thing about this that raised questions for me.....they provided a map of the area. It showed her walking from the school, in the direction of her home, and at the top of the map was the resort and cell phone tower which pinged her phone. Where were the prior "pings" from? I believe the phone will "ping" off the nearest tower? Were all pings from this tower or were some from elsewhere. I just wondered because if she passed from one tower to another would it indicate her direction of travel after being last seen? Would it mean she traveled right past her home area and continued to the resort area?
So, it seems to me that when people are asking for details on her behaviour etc, and pleading for her to come home, the thought was there that this was possibly something she did willingly. The passage of time left seemed to shift the focus to third party involvement. The letter would confirm those suspicions. The appeal to reach out to her mom was heard and done according to the dates of the appeal and the letter. At this point it was still more "local" news I believe so it would suggest she was not far away.
I hope that helps answer your question.

Here is something I have never seen mentioned in any of the threads, and I just thought of this myself.

Concord Coach Lines, a bus company, has a stop in North Conway. Could she have taken a bus out of town/state later that evening? Perhaps she had a disguise in her shoulder bag, ready to use so no one would recognize her?

Here is the information on the website of the North Conway stop:

http://www.concordcoachlines.com/index.php/nh/north-conway

Look at the route it is on- Routes 302 & 16. Wasn't she headed in that direction from the Power Line Trail? I wonder if this bus drives by Cranmore, hence why her phone's last ping was at that cell tower? Or am I nuts for thinking this could be a possibility?

Another stupid and outrageous thought just came to me, but I'm going to toss it out there anyway. Up in North Conway, they have canoe, kayak, and tube rentals. Could Abby have paddled her way down the river to another location?

I know when we brought our canoe on the Saco River, it got stuck in several shallow areas in the summer time, so this is probably just a silly idea on my part and probably should just be nixed, but one never knows. Being a young and adventurous kid myself, I was always canoeing, kayaking, and sailing as a kid with friends at a campground as well as other lakes and rivers. It would be an easy way to get to another town for a kid going down the Saco River. Several campgrounds are in that area, too.

Crazy, right? At least it's not talking about the infamous letter.

It is possible I suppose for a bus to "escape" on.....but would there be video evidence of someone purchasing a ticket? A single young girl, either disguised or not? And is she was last seen about 2:35, is it enough time to get to the station, get a ticket and leave prior to the ping at 3:07? ( I doubt she would linger in the bus station for a later bus if she did this, she'd want to get away asap). How often does a cell phone "ping" a tower? I read it was to update info. etc on the more up to date models of phone. But, what was the ping for? Does a phone "ping" every hour? Every 5 minutes? Would you know your phone was pinging a tower? And that darn shoulder bag still bothers me.....it is in the school video image, but the police released pics of the purse, locket and phone. Why not the bag? If you were close enough to see a locket or specific type of phone, a large bag would also be recognizable.

newguy- could she have purchased the ticket at an earlier time, or had someone else do it for her?

newguy- could she have purchased the ticket at an earlier time, or had someone else do it for her?

You can purchase tickets on-line - you just need to have your ticket and ID when you board the bus. She would need access to a Visa/MC or Discover card to buy online but it can be done.

Question: if there was a man with whom Abby was communicating romantically, wouldn't LE know about this via analysis of her electronic footprint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa