NH NH - Allenstown, Adult Female & 3 Children, found Nov'85 & May'00 #2

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by assaf1981, Jul 12, 2008.

1. leilarose68

leilarose68 Well-Known Member

Not sure if someone else already posted this but apparently (I didn't discover this myself!) Barbara Rae-Venter has confirmed that in November she identified the adult Bear Brook Jane Doe through genetic genealogy. This article was published January 22, 2019.

We Are Data - The Finders: Cracking Cold Cases with Genealogy, Forensics, and DNA - Part Two of A Two-Part Series

"With Rasmussen’s and his relationship identities solved, three mysteries remained, and the biggest challenge was retrieving usable DNA from the remaining Bear Brook victims. “We did two or three extractions from bone, and a liver extract, and what little we could get was very low quality. In the first sequencing, the amount of human DNA was only 2 percent — the rest was bacterial. Theoretically, you could amplify that, but only at extraordinary expense.”

"Thirty-three years after the crime, breaks in the case are happening fast. On Nov. 13, 2018, Dr. Rae-Venter uploaded the adult victim’s DNA profile to GEDmatch. “I got the results at 6 a.m. the next morning and identified her by 8 through a second-cousin match. All because of atDNA from rootless hair."

“Extracting atDNA from the hair shaft was not possible before,” she emphasized, adding that final identification must still be confirmed by DNA testing of a family member. “The implications of this technology for solving cold cases worldwide are just huge.”

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Traymar, AliceInPain, j_in_c and 21 others like this.
  2. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Well, I'm glad that's out of the bag. Been sitting on that "rumor" for while. Aren't I a good girl? :D

3. Migmuu

Migmuu Active Member

Carbuff, have you heard anything about the man who posted on the Terry Rasmussen FB page suggesting his ex-wife and her two daughters as a possible match?

Leilarose68 - Are you here from the Reddit thread too?

4. carbuff

I'm not on Facebook any more, so I'm not familiar with that comment. It could be connected.

Laughing and Legally Bland like this.
  5. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

There were also older posts looking for the wife and daughter of the man who posted that on FB, only these posts were made by her family, going back to 2000, on ancestry forums. There was also a post or two made by the paternal family of one of the daughters. One was just months before the 2nd barrel was found. Not sure if they all got together, though they replied to each others' posts. If it turns out to be the woman & her children from those posts, then I have to say, the clues were on line since 2000, only no one pieced it together.
    At one point, those posts had been screen captures and posted on a page of OH's A4 blog but that has since been taken down, however, you can find still find the page cached.

6. carbuff

Oh, I think I know who you mean. Thanks.

Laughing, Suglo and Calixo like this.
  7. Alleykins

I'm aware of the rumors of the potential match to the three related victims, but is there also a pending match for the middle child as well?

8. carbuff

I believe so, but that's more of a gut feeling than real information.

9. outlawcountry911

outlawcountry911 Fishing nude

Hopefully

carbuff and Legally Bland like this.
  10. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

11. Tabech29

Tabech29 Member

The family had been looking for them for a long time <modsnip: rumors not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
    FireOwl9, watcher9, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  12. Alleykins

Just curious, what do you mean by posts going back to the 80's? Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but where would one do that back then, before the internet? Do you mean police reports? Classified ads put in newspapers looking for her and her daughters?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
    LookingForClues likes this.
  13. KaylaraOwl

KaylaraOwl Well-Known Member

There was BBS in the 80's...

Calixo and LookingForClues like this.
  14. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

Seems like the identification quote about the adult victim has been removed? I've read through it several times again, but can not find it.

LookingForClues likes this.
  15. Alleykins

What are BBS?

16. LookingForClues

LookingForClues Active Member

I'm suspecting BBS is Bulletin Board Systems.

KaylaraOwl likes this.
  17. Alleykins

Not familiar with Bulletin Board Systems, I was in the college in the 80s, so this surprises me. My dorm was filled with computer geeks. I had to go the the library to use a computer because they lived on the ones in our lounge.
    It doesn't sound like it was a common, every day technology used by the vast majority of people, like the internet, so I'm curious where these posts were made.

18. LookingForClues

LookingForClues Active Member

I don't see it there either. Interesting that they would remove it from the article. I remember it being there when the article was first posted. I wonder if that means something in relation to the investigation and they decided they didn't want people to know how close they are to identifying the adult? Hmmm....

folieadeuxnola and Suglo like this.
  19. carbuff

There are a lot of cases going on right now and some of them seem to be getting crossed up in the public eye.

Also relatives getting their hopes up and prematurely announcing an ID that hasn't been confirmed yet.

I mean, yes, probably the family was searching for them and quite possibly LE didn't take a report--but until news comes from NH LE or Dr. Rae-Ventner or another reliable source, I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist...

Triss, Al Ka, Suglo and 5 others like this.
  20. Tabech29

Tabech29 Member

It was an old navy forum/bbs and they were looking for the youngest girl.

AliceInPain and KaylaraOwl like this.