NH NH/CA - Terry Peder Rasmussen, suspected SK, Allenstown, 1981-2000's - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. AG Agati said something along those lines in the 2015 press conference when he was asked a similar question, but in reference to comparing all of the victims' DNA to the criminal DNA db, like what they do in CODIS between MPs & UPs.
He said the protocols/procedures were different for criminal DNA

Just to add a little more, it has to do with the type of DNA taken, so to speak. When they test for paternity they do a basic test with a few "markers" to check for matches. So they have RE's DNA on file but it's a basic DNA typing and while it can prove paternity and it would be helpful if he had more children out there, about the only thing it could be used for is to compare against things like a rape test kit or DNA left at a crime scene that was his. Since he was cremated, there isn't the chance to get any more DNA from him to do a genealogical testing of his DNA. The test they do for paternity and to put in CODIS is very basic. Years ago, they just never knew they'd be able to do the things they can do today with it. Now the DNA from his daughter is a totally different ball of wax and they could do genealogical DNA testing on her, but to date they can only test the maternal line and not the paternal line, so they might be able to find relations on her mother's side, but it wouldn't give us any evidence for RE. Hopefully in the next few years that will change as well.

Just to add a little more, it has to do with the type of DNA taken, so to speak. When they test for paternity they do a basic test with a few "markers" to check for matches. So they have RE's DNA on file but it's a basic DNA typing and while it can prove paternity and it would be helpful if he had more children out there, about the only thing it could be used for is to compare against things like a rape test kit or DNA left at a crime scene that was his. Since he was cremated, there isn't the chance to get any more DNA from him to do a genealogical testing of his DNA. The test they do for paternity and to put in CODIS is very basic. Years ago, they just never knew they'd be able to do the things they can do today with it. Now the DNA from his daughter is a totally different ball of wax and they could do genealogical DNA testing on her, but to date they can only test the maternal line and not the paternal line, so they might be able to find relations on her mother's side, but it wouldn't give us any evidence for RE. Hopefully in the next few years that will change as well.

Mom24 - could running genealogical DNA for his daughter potentially find anyone who is a sibling to her from her father's side?

They only have mtDNA for the Allenstown victims

They only have mtDNA for the Allenstown victims
Even maternal relatives of his child would be helpful. They might give insight into the mother of his child and her relationship with him. They could help determine specific places he has been. I can see lots of investigative leads there. I just wonder how much effort will be put into it, since he's dead and no longer a threat to anyone.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Mom24 - could running genealogical DNA for his daughter potentially find anyone who is a sibling to her from her father's side?

No. To date they can't do the paternal line from a female. If she has a brother out there and he tested his line and they both ended up with the same mother then there is the potential to do his line, but they can't do it from her.

Here's a really great article that describes genetic testing. Remember that when they do a paternal genome testing they only look for a very small number of markers. When they do a genetic dna testing they look at hundreds of genetic markers which is why the paternity test they did for Lisa/RE was very basic in the information they received. It only gives them information as to paternity and actual DNA he may have left behind at a crime scene. I like to tell people it's like the difference between blood typing at a crime scene and DNA evidence at a crime scene. Paternity DNA is basic, genealogical DNA is very in depth. Here's the article from ancestry:
There are two main types of genetic tests to estimate a person’s ancestry. One type is to trace an
individual person’s maternal lineage (by looking at how genetic patterns are passed down from one
generation to the next generation through one’s mother and her mother and her mother) or paternal
lineage (by looking at how genetic patterns are passed down through the father’s line). These
lineage-based genetic tests come in two forms: 1) mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) which is inherited
through the mother’s line only and can give information to both males and females about a person’s
maternal lineage, or 2) Y-chromosome DNA which is inherited through the father’s line and is
passed down only to males in each generation and can give information only to males about his
paternal lineage.
The other type of genetic ancestry test is one that makes estimates of a person’s ancestry by
scanning through a person’s overall genome and then using the information to determine which
continents their ancestors are from. These ancestry estimates use genetic markers called Ancestry
Informative Markers. Scientists use Ancestry Informative Markers to make predictions about a
person’s ancestry using genetic markers and can tell a person if they are likely to have European,
African, or Asian ancestry. These predictions are based on statistics that come from how often or
rarely certain genetic markers show up across populations. For example, suppose a statistical result
shows that a person is very likely to be American Indian because they have a certain set of Ancestry
Informative Markers. If a different scientist took the same sample and looked at completely
different set of Ancestry Informative Markers, just by chance, that person may have a statistical
result that shows they are likely to be Asian, not American Indian. The results could be very
different, depending on the set of Ancestry Informative Markers that are used or on the population
that is being studied. It is important to keep in mind that none of these genetic markers can
definitively say whether a person is American Indian or not. It is also important to note that there is
no such thing as an “American Indian gene.”

BBM - but if we know who the mother is, it may be possible to connect that person to RE and narrow down more about HIM.

BBM - but if we know who the mother is, it may be possible to connect that person to RE and narrow down more about HIM.

Exactly. The issue becomes a legal one in regards to further genetic testing. There are legal hurdles, but it could be done and then if they find her mother perhaps that would lead them to another alias and maybe more of a backstory.

Reading through old newspapers, Bear Brook Park was a really happening place. From the 1960's to the late 70's they had summer conservation camps for teens and had adults who would be camp leaders. I'm wondering if the woman and the two children were part of that summer camp and the reason they were never reported missing is because people just assumed they had gone home. Just adding, they had the training for the adults held at the Cardigan Mountain Lodge in Alexandria.

Yes, Bear Brook Park was a very popular place. My work group had a company picnic there in either 1984 or 1985 (I think). Lots of fun stuff to do.

Exactly. The issue becomes a legal one in regards to further genetic testing. There are legal hurdles, but it could be done and then if they find her mother perhaps that would lead them to another alias and maybe more of a backstory.

What I meant is that if they find the identity of the middle child's mother, then LE can go back to look for known associates of the mother in an attempt to track RE's movements in connection with that woman, only taking them closer to RE's identity.

Reading through old newspapers, Bear Brook Park was a really happening place. From the 1960's to the late 70's they had summer conservation camps for teens and had adults who would be camp leaders. I'm wondering if the woman and the two children were part of that summer camp and the reason they were never reported missing is because people just assumed they had gone home. Just adding, they had the training for the adults held at the Cardigan Mountain Lodge in Alexandria.

Alexandria Virginia? That would give us the Virginia connection possibly?

Yes, Bear Brook Park was a very popular place. My work group had a company picnic there in either 1984 or 1985 (I think). Lots of fun stuff to do.

Carbuff, what kind of "fun stuff"? Just wondering... carnivals, etc?

Even maternal relatives of his child would be helpful. They might give insight into the mother of his child and her relationship with him. They could help determine specific places he has been. I can see lots of investigative leads there. I just wonder how much effort will be put into it, since he's dead and no longer a threat to anyone.
Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

From the Allenstown victims' standpoint, NH investigators are eager to identify them. My take on this is it's not so much about the crimes but who they are. I think that's where their focusing all their efforts. By discovering who RE really was, they're hoping it may lead to their identity and hopefully finding Denise, too.

Alexandria Virginia? That would give us the Virginia connection possibly?

I think they're referring to Alexandria NH? Edited to add: yup looked it up, Cardigan Mountain Lodge is in Alexandria, NH.

Because it was such different times and harder to get caught I am wondering if these were men he met at bars (he was a big drinker) and either he stole their wallet or ID or if they were so drunk he just went through their wallet and copied the info.. I wonder if any of these people with his name ever reported their wallet stolen.

But even if he crossed paths, how would he know their birthdate? It's not something someone routinely gives out during a conversation.

Leave no stone unturned do hope they are looking the potential of doing this.

I swear, its time like this that I wish we had some sort of scan thingy placed in us at birth so we will always be identified....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NurseTM