NH NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

"A cold case evidence search wrapped up Tuesday night in Newport, officials with the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office told WMUR. "

"There are at least two unsolved cases with ties to Newport, including the mid-1980s killings of 17-year-old Bernice Courtemanche and 25-year-old Ellen Fried. Courtemanche’s body was found on April 19, 1986, off Cat Hole Road. Fried’s skeletal remains, meanwhile, were found on Sept. 19, 1985, in a wooded area next to the Sugar River in the Kelleyville neighborhood."

I've been following the Lynda Moore case and I just saw they're doing searching in that area. She was sunbathing that day she was murdered. Just noting, Heuermann got into an altercation with a neighbor because RH was evidently leering at this neighbor's wife while she was sunbathing, and I thought of this case when I heard it.

Also, one of the sketches in association with the case looks like a young RH to me. He'd have been I think about 23 at the time of the murder. They're searching at his home too, ironically. Kind of weird. Saw this in a source: "Unlike the other murders, this crime left witnesses who contributed to a composite sketch, revealing a young man between 20 and 25 with a round face and glasses. He was seen skulking around the neighborhood near the Moore home."

I think LM's case is considered to be something of an outlier case in association with the other cases in the area.

The sketch does resemble RH, especially a younger RH, but Long Island to the upper Connecticut River Valley is quite a haul.

Though lots of New Yorkers do travel up I-91 for recreational and vacation opportunities. Do you know if RH is a skier or hiker? I haven't followed his case very closely.

Also, one of the sketches in association with the case looks like a young RH to me. He'd have been I think about 23 at the time of the murder. They're searching at his home too, ironically. Kind of weird. Saw this in a source: "Unlike the other murders, this crime left witnesses who contributed to a composite sketch, revealing a young man between 20 and 25 with a round face and glasses. He was seen skulking around the neighborhood near the Moore home."
RH is very tall, in the vicinity of 6’4” to 6’6” . I would think any witness sketch would mention this.

RH is very tall, in the vicinity of 6’4” to 6’6” . I would think any witness sketch would mention this.
Agreed. Height's off, but I'm thinking he wasn't as hulking then as he became later. An error on height could be attributed to distance & angle of the sighting, though, I would think, at least to some extent. I just think it's odd w/the resemblance. Also, it's very strange to me in terms of the timing with searches at this location and the completely unexpected second search of Heuermann's home. Just weird.

Last edited:
I've been following the Lynda Moore case and I just saw they're doing searching in that area. She was sunbathing that day she was murdered. Just noting, Heuermann got into an altercation with a neighbor because RH was evidently leering at this neighbor's wife while she was sunbathing, and I thought of this case when I heard it.

I think LM's case is considered to be something of an outlier case in association with the other cases in the area.
Thanks for this link
I lived in NH for three decades.
We all knew of the conneticut killer, but I haven't delved onto this full picture ever
I hope to follow, and hope there is eventually some closure.

The sketch does resemble RH, especially a younger RH, but Long Island to the upper Connecticut River Valley is quite a haul.

Though lots of New Yorkers do travel up I-91 for recreational and vacation opportunities. Do you know if RH is a skier or hiker? I haven't followed his case very closely.
The one thing I do note is water on both.
But then again, the victims were not in water, right?

Good article.
One woman, pregnant, stabbed excessively. Survived

Wow. Just wow.

OTOH, the sketches do not resemble the man who lives in the house that was searched.

Also heard the description given by Jane, who survived and she said her attacker was blond. The guy who lives in Kelleyville is rather thin/lanky, dark hair and eyes, with a French Canadian surname. Photos of him when younger are easily found online.

It is certainly possible more than one person working together OR more than one person committed crimes which were linked together in error.

Also, I think with Lynda it was more she had been outside doing things--gardening etc and listening to the radio vs traditionally sunbathing like that other RH example. More like she was seen sitting outside for a bit by her neighbors. She was killed pretty early in April too, so it would have been really unusual to have weather warm enough for sunbathing.

When they searched the house in Kelleyville a few days ago, my mom was reminded again of what a nice person Lynda was. So I feel that should be said here. I'm sure all of these victims were, and they certainly did NOT deserve such violence and I hope some day soon their families will have answers.

I'm a bit on the fence with Lynda and Jane being victims of the same person as the women found in Unity and very close by. I think it seems rather likely the same person attacked both Jane and Lynda though.

Tip: If you look for the yearbook for the guy who lives in Kelleyville, there is glitch with Ancestry and Classmates. They have the 1973 yearbook linked to Newport, Maine. I can confirm when you pull up the image for the name in question it is actually for Newport, New Hampshire. I went through and found several people I know/recognize, and the high school building on the cover is the Newport, New Hampshire one--i.e. Tigers.

I think since Grey Hughes has mentioned his name it is OK to look and compare to the sketches, but I will not personally give the name here since I am not sure he is considered an official suspect. Only that there was the court ordered search warrant for that property.

Not sure on the skiing for Heuermann, but he was an avid hunter, and seems to have done pretty long treks into the woods if he turns out to be guilty. His alleged victims' remains were discovered deep into wooded areas. I'm sure with the hunting, he did long trek in the woods regardless. At one point, he even obtained hunting licenses in Alaska. Quite the traveler (horrifyingly).

Agreed it's a long way from RH's Massapequa location up there. But he'd be 23 when the killing occurred, so I'd say still possible, but jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solaria
Back