NH NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

For context: This is the Sugar River trail system, which runs near the house in Kelleyville and also near where some of the remains were found.

You can technically hunt pretty much anywhere in NH, but It's more where people ride ATVs (on the Claremont end especially) and some biking and walking mixed in on the Newport section.

Also, keep in mind hunting seasons:

JMO, but I personally think it would be really weird for RH to be using Kelleyville/Unity etc as a dumping ground. It makes a lot more sense for it to be someone local, or at least very familiar with the area. Unless there is something strongly linking RH that I am unaware of? This would seem especially so all those years ago.

It's rural, and apologies to the locals ,but where most of the murders happened/bodies stashed is a bit of a depressed area and not really a destination like going hunting in Alaska. Yes, people scoot up 91 or 93 and hit ski towns, but there isn't much to attract anyone to Claremont, Newport, Unity, etc. This isn't the "Vermont/New Hampshire" you guys are thinking of like from a Hallmark movie. The border towns along the Connecticut River are kind of gritty-- seen better days long ago. Think Apppalachia and you're closer. Unless someone had family ties, it would be unusual for a well-educated man from Long Island or NYC to be familiar and hanging around, IMO. (At least prior to the pandemic--more people moving around now in search of afforddable housing, but that has no impact on these murders.)

Saxtons River, Vermont has a bit more of an upper-middle class/crunchy granola vibe to it, and always has, but it is TINY and very "sleepy". Again, you're not doing anything there, and you would *probably* have only known of it as a NYer if you had ties. Lynda Moore's home really isn't on the way to anything else, just the road from Bellows Falls to Saxtons River. There really isn't any reason to be out there driving around as a tourist, unless maybe it was autumn and you were looking for fall foliage. It is a small, back road.

A local person though, as I mentioned many posts ago, wouldn't think anything of driving around all of these locations where the murders/attacks took place as it is not seen as a big deal to commute between them for work, medical care, recreation, relationships, etc.

I don't know if the person who lives in the house that was searched committed any of these crimes, especially since he seems to be walking around freely still, but the location of that house absolutely makes a lot of sense to me.

Here you can see the Sugar River trail, and where it crosses over the highway--Route 103, which is also known as the John Stark Highway. This is the road connecting Claremont and Newport. The marker for Ayers Road, right where it intersects with Route 103 is the house that was searched. Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 9.55.06 AM.png

Larger zoomed out image of full system. First P on the left is in Claremont, you can see the one on the right is Newport. The "cross over" is the image I zoomed in above. Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 9.58.05 AM.png

For context: This is the Sugar River trail system, which runs near the house in Kelleyville and also near where some of the remains were found.

You can technically hunt pretty much anywhere in NH, but It's more where people ride ATVs (on the Claremont end especially) and some biking and walking mixed in on the Newport section.

JMO, but I personally think it would be really weird for RH to be using Kelleyville/Unity etc as a dumping ground. It makes a lot more sense for it to be someone local, or at least very familiar with the area. Unless there is something strongly linking RH that I am unaware of? This would seem especially so all those years ago.

It's rural, and apologies to the locals ,but where most of the murders happened/bodies stashed is a bit of a depressed area and not really a destination like going hunting in Alaska. Yes, people scoot up 91 or 93 and hit ski towns, but there isn't much to attract anyone to Claremont, Newport, Unity, etc. This isn't the "Vermont/New Hampshire" you guys are thinking of like from a Hallmark movie. The border towns along the Connecticut River are kind of gritty-- seen better days long ago. Think Apppalachia and you're closer. Unless someone had family ties, it would be unusual for a well-educated man from Long Island or NYC to be familiar and hanging around, IMO. (At least prior to the pandemic--more people moving around now in search of afforddable housing, but that has no impact on these murders.)

Saxtons River, Vermont has a bit more of an upper-middle class/crunchy granola vibe to it, and always has, but it is TINY and very "sleepy". Again, you're not doing anything there, and you would *probably* have only known of it as a NYer if you had ties. Lynda Moore's home really isn't on the way to anything else, just the road from Bellows Falls to Saxtons River. There really isn't any reason to be out there driving around as a tourist, unless maybe it was autumn and you were looking for fall foliage. It is a small, back road.

A local person though, as I mentioned many posts ago, wouldn't think anything of driving around all of these locations where the murders/attacks took place as it is not seen as a big deal to commute between them for work, medical care, recreation, relationships, etc.

I don't know if the person who lives in the house that was searched committed any of these crimes, especially since he seems to be walking around freely still, but the location of that house absolutely makes a lot of sense to me.

Very good interpretation. We all know our personal environments better than others. And I always appreciate when WS posters show up with the inside information.
Had a nice little tee hee..... In Vermont and New Hampshire you are never too far away from the middle class cruncy granola crowds....

MUCH thanks on all this info. Am not from that area, and it's awesome to have some insight on the overall "vibe" there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying RH "was" involved. But I'm curious as to the resemblance to the sketch and the savagery of the Lynda Moore attack. Also the fact that it's something of an outlier in terms of the other cases. In 1986, RH would be 23. He graduated from Berner HS in 1981. I'm seeing he "was a seasonal employee at Jones Beach State Park in [the] summer of 1981 and from 3/05/82 through 10/24/84." At some point prior to 1990, he attended New York Institute of Technology in Westbury to study as an architect. By 1990, he was just married to a woman from NJ and employed as an intern architect in Freeport NY in 1990. I find the time period between 1981 and 1990 to be pretty hazy for RH with plenty of wiggle room in terms of his whereabouts at many points generally. And just as an aside, I still don't see anything about him in terms of skiing, but I do know he was into boating, to some extent.

Lynda Moore's husband was a bricklayer/contractor, right? Just wondering, but believe me, not saying oh yeah, it's it's gotta be RH. Probably not, but it's curious nonetheless, and I'd just wonder if there might have been some reason for him to be up there. Wouldn't think he's using it as a dumping ground, but wondering specifically about the Lynda Moore case and if there might have been something that brought him up there. (And totally agreed, it doesn't seem likely.)

"I don't know if the person who lives in the house that was searched committed any of these crimes, especially since he seems to be walking around freely still, but the location of that house absolutely makes a lot of sense to me." Agreed.

Last edited:
MUCH thanks on all this info. Am not from that area, and it's awesome to have some insight on the overall "vibe" there.

If you guys have questions about the area, let me know.
Also the fact that it's something of an outlier in terms of the other cases. In 1986, RH would be 23. He graduated from Berner HS in 1981. I'm seeing he "was a seasonal employee at Jones Beach State Park in [the] summer of 1981 and from 3/05/82 through 10/24/84." At some point prior to 1990, he attended New York Institute of Technology in Westbury to study as an architect.

The only possible thing I could think of is if he knew someone in high school at Vermont Academy. If RH was 23 when Lynda was murdered, *maybe* RH had friends who were 18 or 19 and students boarding there. VA is only a few minutes down the road. There have been some famous people who have "hideouts" in Saxtons River. The Eagles had a vacation home there around the same time Lynda died, for example. Not making any connections there, just saying it is possible RH "knw someone", just it seems unlikely to me and would need to be some really unusual connection/coincidence.

My elementary school was the one in Saxtons River. Really what is out there are houses, the elementary school, a *tiny* little blip of a "Main Street" which is like a church, a store, an Inn,a post office and maybe 3-4 businesses and then you've left town.

Lynda Moore's husband was a bricklayer/contractor, right? Just wondering, but believe me, not saying oh yeah, it's it's gotta be RH. Probably not, but it's curious nonetheless, and I'd just wonder if there might have been some reason for him to be up there. Wouldn't think he's using it as a dumping ground, but wondering specifically about the Lynda Moore case and if there might have been something that brought him up there. (And totally agreed, it doesn't seem likely.)

Steven is a general contractor. I believe the Moore's also had a few rental properties back when this happened. Not sure if the company still does. My parents went to school with Steve, but were a few years older than he was, so acquaintances rather than close friends. There were rumors about all kinds of things when LM was killed, but she was really well liked, and from my memory both of them were nice people.

Also where the Moore house is, it would be kind of awkward for someone to hang around and stalk her throughout the day, waiting to attack. It's not really a road where you would find people walking on, unless maybe your immediate neighbor came by. There were not sidewalks back then that I remember, and the way leading up to it is winding, and a bit narrow so I don't think much of a shoulder or places to hide a vehicle. All just odd thinking it through. I haven't been out that way in at least 10 years though. As I said, it isn't really a road that leads you anywhere unless you're going to Saxtons River.

Another thing about Lynda: she went around helping parents properly install car seats, and talked about the importance of using them. I've never seen this mentioned, as what is out there makes it sound like she was home all the time, but it is a possible way she could have caught the attention of someone off.

The case of Jane Boroski. What evidence is there that the man who attacked her was CRVK?

"30 miles south of Claremont," West Swanzey, NH the location of the attack is nowhere near Claremont, about 45 miles away, it is few miles from Keene NH. This attack differs in one key aspect CRVK never left his victims at the place of their attack, the hallmark of this case is the fact that CRVK dumped the bodies in the secluded woodlands of VT and NH.

Boroski described this attack as following: the man approached here in the car asked her a question the tried rip her out of the car when she struggled he stopped turned and away. Boroski left the vehicle and yelled "Hey ." At this point the man turned back around and proceeded to stab her repeatedly eventually leaving her returning to his car and driving away.

If it was CRVK why didn't he take the body?

Most importantly is the location which is the farthest of all the victims from CRVK's hunting grounds. Is it possible that this was some sort of copy cat? This was after all at the height of hysteria surrounding this case in 88.
That is a good point. A couple of things I think the other victims were left where they were killed, and voluntarily many of them got into his car IE hitchhikers. This does raise the question of how they get to the spots where they were found, and whether were they carried or forced, because I don't think from the sounds of things that they were just dumped there from a vehicle. Why a knife and not a gun, could he/she the CRVT known the victims?

That is a good point. A couple of things I think the other victims were left where they were killed, and voluntarily many of them got into his car IE hitchhikers. This does raise the question of how they get to the spots where they were found, and whether were they carried or forced, because I don't think from the sounds of things that they were just dumped there from a vehicle. Why a knife and not a gun, could he/she the CRVT known the victims?
Based on the sketches and the diverse sets of circumstances surrounding the individual murders, it sounds like maybe there were multiple killers involved, like "copycat" types of killers that got wind of earlier killings in the general area and decided to hop on board. How much media attention did these cases receive at the time they occurred? Was everyone in the region discussing them? I think the nurses that worked at Valley Regional were probably one killer, MOO. Cathy Mililican was probably a different killer, and I think Lynda Moore was yet another killer. All of this is JMO, though. Anyone know on the media coverage question, though?

Doubling back on one of the victims...what were the exact/rough circumstances of Bernice's disappearance and how she died?

I've read that she was taken by a white vehicle and was found nearly totally decomposed with stab marks and head damage? But wanted to see if anyone had more specific or elaborate details.

I'm trying to confirm/reject a theory I have on another case.
A white car caught my attention. I've been trying to figure out what type of car it is that I saw on the Footage of the Search in Newport NH on 05/24th or so. Here is a picture of what appears to be a white vehicle in the garage of 1 Ayers rd Newport NH. Looks like a sport-type vehicle to me.

17 year old Bernice Courtemanche was last seen around 3:30pm on May 30, 1984 in Claremont. Bernice may be one of the CT River Valley serial killer's youngest victims. It's believed that like Critchley, Bernice had been hitchhiking on New Hampshire Route 12 to try to get to her boyfriend's house in Newport, NH.Aug 17, 2022

Newport evidence search related to cases linked to so-called Connecticut River Valley serial killer​

Sources tell News 9 Investigates search related to series of unsolved killings in Connecticut River Valley in 1970s, 1980s​

Attachments

• Pic of auto in garage.png
    Pic of auto in garage.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 2
Good to see someone with a an unbiased feel for this case on here props! Pettibon Junction.

On Gary Westover's Deathbed Confession:

Has anyone considered the possibility that this confession might be fake!
"Uncle Howard was Howard Minnon, a retired sheriff's deputy in Grafton County, NH. Before Westover could continue, Uncle Howard told Cindy to leave the room."-Tampa Bay Times Ben Montgomery

We are talking about a confession that was given to one man with no witnesses. Not mention Westover's own shaded history.
Does any one have any information about Howard F. Minnon? Like what his possible motivations could have been for creating a false confession? Could he have been CRVK? Could he be protecting CRVK?

One of the questions surrounding this case has always been how CRVK was able to get the victims to let their guard down. What if CRVK was Police? or some sort of police impersonator?
Is it possible victim and perpetrator knew each other. Can't figure out if a gun was used or not because what force was used to get the victims to locations where they were killed. Supposedly where they were found is where they appear to have been killed.

Sure. I'm no familiar with the "witches castle", at least not by that name? I'm new to this thread, so will try to find what you're talking about.

The house with strange signs is in Kellyeville, on the John Stark Highway, which is the main road between Claremont, NH and Newport, NH. You're almost in Newport when you pass this house, and Kelleyville is the name of a small division, sort of like a village, except Newport, NH is a town of a few thousand people. I'm actually not sure if Kelleyville is officially anything now, or just retains the name. Personally, I would just say I was in Newport at that point, but I am not a Newport native and I think they have pretty specific thoughts on things, so.... (Haha)

It is about 10 miles between Claremont and Newport. I'm not clear on the guy's name that lives in that house, or lived in that house, but I have heard stories and none are good.

There are a few ways to drive to all of the possibly linked sites, and you could easily hit them in all in a day. I've personally lived in a few of the towns when younger, and it would have been no big deal to zip between them.

Hartland Vermont is not far from Dartmouth College, or Dartmouth Medical Center. People think nothing of driving from Keene, NH (which is near Swanzey, NH where the one young woman was stabbed and survived) and working at Dartmouth. People think nothing of living in Claremont or Newport and shopping in Keene, or commuting for work. Same with Saxtons River Vermont area to any of those locations. (Although I tend to agree Lynda Moore's case just seems different.)

I hope this helps.

Back to add something to this post.From the wiki on the CRVK, " re: Fried's remains were found in a wooded area near the banks of the Sugar River in Kelleyville in September of the following year. Postmortem examination revealed evidence of multiple stab wounds and probable sexual assault.[2] " The house with the signs is basically on the river bank........
Here is the address of the house... corner of Ayers Rd and John Stark Hwy. 1 Ayers Rd Newport NH: News coverage of resent search warrant search:

Newport evidence search related to cases linked to so-called Connecticut River Valley serial killer​

Sources tell News 9 Investigates search related to series of unsolved killings in Connecticut River Valley in 1970s, 1980s​

MUCH thanks on all this info. Am not from that area, and it's awesome to have some insight on the overall "vibe" there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying RH "was" involved. But I'm curious as to the resemblance to the sketch and the savagery of the Lynda Moore attack. Also the fact that it's something of an outlier in terms of the other cases. In 1986, RH would be 23. He graduated from Berner HS in 1981. I'm seeing he "was a seasonal employee at Jones Beach State Park in [the] summer of 1981 and from 3/05/82 through 10/24/84." At some point prior to 1990, he attended New York Institute of Technology in Westbury to study as an architect. By 1990, he was just married to a woman from NJ and employed as an intern architect in Freeport NY in 1990. I find the time period between 1981 and 1990 to be pretty hazy for RH with plenty of wiggle room in terms of his whereabouts at many points generally. And just as an aside, I still don't see anything about him in terms of skiing, but I do know he was into boating, to some extent.

"I don't know if the person who lives in the house that was searched committed any of these crimes, especially since he seems to be walking around freely still, but the location of that house absolutely makes a lot of sense to me." Agreed.
Thanks for this.
I was hoping someone would drag some details of RH life over to this thread, for any thoughts or connection
I just can't follow his thread..just too dismal for me.
So the 80s are still pretty much of a mystery. Wish we could dig up more.

People in the New England states do get around all 6 states quite a bit. The upper three are always vacation destinations for the lower 3. And folks from bigger states just have to realize just how small the New England states are.
Ha
Well, you can really get lost forever in the state of Maine.
L
The few people I have known on the greater long island area, really never ventured very far.

Seriously tho, if you have any other clues or ideas on what we can try to sleuth with in new England for rh please share...

In essence I am leaning to agreeing on the Linda Moore crime as not involving Nicholaou. I say this as after researching and reading the Ginsberg book, I believe I have found the real name of the person they called Jeff Miller--a pseudonym as was suspected. If I found it, I suspect other can, it I am correct. But without LE confirmation or charging him, it remains JM for now.

Might as well add that the person at Ayers Rd address also owns the property across the street up to that river. But on the other side of the trail. Not that it matters much. J.C.

Based on the sketches and the diverse sets of circumstances surrounding the individual murders, it sounds like maybe there were multiple killers involved, like "copycat" types of killers that got wind of earlier killings in the general area and decided to hop on board. How much media attention did these cases receive at the time they occurred? Was everyone in the region discussing them? I think the nurses that worked at Valley Regional were probably one killer, MOO. Cathy Mililican was probably a different killer, and I think Lynda Moore was yet another killer. All of this is JMO, though. Anyone know on the media coverage question, though?
In order to get to where the bodies were 2 bodies about 500ft apart were found, I'm assuming the terrain wasn't the easiest to walk through and therefore either they were carried there or forced to walk. But they seemed all to have been killed by a knife. Just an assumption and a question that I'm wondering about. , I guess I'm just wondering about On April 25, 1986, Morse's remains were found by loggers in Unity, New Hampshire, about 500 feet (150 m) from where Critchley's body had been discovered in 1981. Why that spot and On July 25, 1981, 37-year-old Mary Elizabeth Critchley On July 10, 1985, 27-year-old single mother Eva Marie Morse 4yr time span, almost to the day reported missing. 2 Weeks 4 years apart in July. Most of the of the 7 victims were found at the most 19.1 mile maybe , 1 within a Mile average for all 7 9.42/miles from a center of reference. 3 victims missing in the month of July 10, 22nd and 25th. If you count Boroski Aug 6th that is 4 out of 8 victims. 3 victims in July out of 7 almost 1/2 50% or 43% . I guess you might ask why July why that geographic location. Could be a good chance they have their man, But did he have an accomplice. If so maybe the owner of that car in the garage. Did anything happen in 1987. Just some questions. Forgive the cryptic writing. By the way sugar river trail 9 mile trail begins at the Newport Recreation Department on Belknap Ave in Newport and ends at Washington Street in Claremont.

L
The few people I have known on the greater long island area, really never ventured very far.

Seriously tho, if you have any other clues or ideas on what we can try to sleuth with in new England for rh please share...
I also lived on LI for a year or so in my early 20s and somewhat agree. There was a bit of a mix--people were deeply local and rooted or very cosmopolitan in my experience. Also LI has very separate, distinct parts, even more so years ago. Some areas feel more "New England". Like the farms and so on out on the North Fork, and to some extent parts of the South Fork also. You could be on the Cape or somewhere like it in Massachusetts or Rhode Island. It felt different, but not THAT different to me.

Closer to NYC, different vibes entirely, IME.

I'm not sure about the exact locations where remains were found in terms of conditions back then, but walking on the Newport sections of the trail now is usually fine. Seasonally you can run into mud and so on, and on the Claremont end people tend to run a lot more ATVs on the trail, which will result in ruts and so on.

I've walked part of the Newport section in the past, and it is pretty. Easy, pleasant walking. Not difficult. There has been a bit of an uptick in crime the past few years, so I don't feel like heading out on the trails myself to take photos for you guys though. I also assume the search has probably sent people out there poking around.

Unity is REALLY rural. I've driven around out on roads out there and you lose cell service, radio, etc. There are a few places where it would be peaceful, and I personally enjoy the quiet, but it also just feels a bit ominous. Would not surprise me AT ALL if there are more bodies out in the woods in the general area. Linked to the "CVK" or any other crimes. It isn't quite like Aroostook County in Maine, or anything like that, but you're quickly "nowhere".

I tried earlier in the discussion to provide some maps.

The convenience store where Jane was stabbed is outside of Keene, NH, and sort in seems in the middle of "nowhere". It used to be called Gomarlo's but when I drove past it last month looked quite different from my memory of it many years ago. ( Might still have the same name and just a major renovation?).

Anyway....there are a lot of apartments, homes and a large trailer park out that way and many young people would go cruising around if you lived in the area and turn around in the Gomarlos lot and then head back to Keene. I remember doing this myself, a few years after she was stabbed. None of us thought anything of it. I didn't even make the connection until looking into these cases.

Leo's Market still exists in Claremont. Look closely below. First, how close it is to the Police station, so seriously WTH how bold of the killer.

Second: note Route 103. See how it then extends and wraps through town? 103 follows Washington Street. Washington Street goes through town, it is the main shopping drag--small strip malls--and then dumps back out as Route 103/Joh Stark Highway. You could place it beside the map of the Sugar River trail I showed a few posts ago.

This will take yu back to Newport, past the house on Ayers Road again.

Let me know if unclear. Screen Shot 2024-05-26 at 1.03.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-05-26 at 1.07.23 PM.png

For context....although I think it seems more likely a different person attacked Lynda and Jane....this is how close Leo's Market and Route 121, in Saxtons River are: Screen Shot 2024-05-26 at 1.10.22 PM.png

OK...if I add in Gomarlo's in Swanzey, which is where I believe Jane was attacked. You can also see Newport, NH still on this map and get a feel for everything. Hope this helps. Screen Shot 2024-05-26 at 1.12.37 PM.png

Adding in RH. While you certainly could do this drive easily--I've done something like it myself tons of times--you pass through SOOOOO many other cities and small towns along the wayScreen Shot 2024-05-26 at 1.15.21 PM.png, I cannot understand why RH would be up in rural NH and VT "hunting" and randomly dumping bodies? he would be passing through so many other places. Why this area? Why the hassle? JMO!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back