NH NH - Debra Horn, 11, Allenstown, 29 Jan 1969

I did not know the Horn family, but I did know some of their relatives. This case has haunted me for many years. Debra would now be 63-64 years old. She and my nephew were the same age when she was murdered. I just have had such strong feelings that the person who killed her knew her well. She was in the perfect age brackett for pedaphiles. I personally do not believe her murder was at all connected to the previously mentioned murders in earlier posts. I believe that the man who killed her was very fond of her and that is why he placed her body in the car instead of just leaving her body in a field. Her father may still be alive and in his 80s. The last I heard, he was in Florida. People who were 'suspects' or were interviewed may also still be living ... in their 80s.The clock is ticking, and Debra needs justice.

Thank you for your comments and welcome to this discussion. Here is some more information (dated 2012) from another website:

Debra Lee Horn

After four decades, Debra Lee Horn murder case is unsolved
by Robert A. Waters

On the morning of January 29, 1969, in Allenstown, New Hampshire, eleven-year-old Debra Lee Horn walked up the driveway toward her school bus stop. Before she reached it, however, she slipped on the ice and fell. Helped by her brother, she returned to her house and told her parents she’d hurt her neck. She asked to stay home that day and they reluctantly agreed. Her father later said he thought she wasn’t really hurt but just wanted to skip school.

Debra's brother went back out to catch the bus and both her parents left to go to work. The last time they saw Debra, described as a “frail, brown-eyed girl with a pixie haircut,” she was lying on the couch with a blanket covering her.

Her parents returned home at noon to find the front door wide-open. An Associated Press article reported: “Debra’s coat and boots were in place and the blanket was tossed on the couch. She was gone. Her two pet poodles, who would have trailed along behind her, were in the house.”

New Hampshire State Police investigators had few leads. In the driveway, they did discover a tire track. A police spokesman told reporters they were looking for a car with “studded snow tires.” A report came in that someone had seen a girl who looked like Debra with a man buying gasoline at a nearby service station. It turned out that the customer was a local resident who had his daughter in tow. Searchers found human blood beside a highway two miles from Debra’s house, but since DNA was unknown at the time, detectives couldn't determine its origin.

Debra's mother and father took to the local airways to plead for their daughter's safe return. The sobbing mother said: "Only God in His infinite wisdom knows at this moment where and how Debbie is..."

Police, firefighters, and civilians formed human chains to hunt the frigid area around Allenstown. Plodding over snow-banks and icy creeks, exploring empty homes and vacant cars, the searchers refused to quit. Day after day, they came up empty. Finally, in late February, heavy snows locked in the region and the search ground to a halt.

In late March, a woman reported seeing the body of a blonde-haired girl floating in the Merrimack River at Manchester. Two-man teams of state troopers searched the banks while others used aluminum boats powered by outboard motors to check the river from Manchester to Tyngsboro, Massachusetts. Shooting hazardous rapids and dodging dangerous ice-floes, they found nothing.

Finally, on August 10, three teenage boys exploring an abandoned 1952 Plymouth in Sandown, New Hampshire opened the trunk and discovered a decomposed body. One teen told a reporter: “We thought at first it was a dummy.” The sad remains of Debra Lee Horn had been located. She was completely nude. Her clothes, a light gold jumper, a white turtleneck jersey, and gold knee-length stockings, were missing. Debra's grieving parents identified a gold ring and a silver ear-ring she wore.

Attorney General Norman D’Amours reported that “there was an indication of some trauma to the back of the head. Although the doctor could not state positively that this mark...was a trauma, it appeared very probably that such was the case.” No one could determine whether the trauma to the head was the result of the fall she'd taken or a homicidal blow.

Regardless of the cause of death, someone took the child from her home, removed her clothes, and stuffed her body in the trunk of an old car 25 miles away.

Even though investigators continued to work occasional leads, they never developed a viable suspect. The case eventually went cold.

Decades passed. A few years ago, the New Hampshire Department of Justice created a website to publicize cold cases. Debra Horn's unsolved murder is included.

Who abducted Debra Lee Horn from her home in icy Allenstown, New Hampshire? My guess is that it was a crime of opportunity, a random act by someone who came to the door. Maybe a salesman, or a friend of the family. Finding the child alone, he kidnapped, raped, and murdered her.

Unless some unknown clue surfaces or someone confesses, this random killer got away with cold-blooded murder.

At least two other unsolved murders of young girls occurred in New Hampshire between 1968 and 1971...

LINK:

Kidnapping, Murder, and Mayhem: Child Killer in New Hampshire

I did not know the Horn family, but I did know some of their relatives. This case has haunted me for many years. Debra would now be 63-64 years old. She and my nephew were the same age when she was murdered. I just have had such strong feelings that the person who killed her knew her well. She was in the perfect age brackett for pedaphiles. I personally do not believe her murder was at all connected to the previously mentioned murders in earlier posts. I believe that the man who killed her was very fond of her and that is why he placed her body in the car instead of just leaving her body in a field. Her father may still be alive and in his 80s. The last I heard, he was in Florida. People who were 'suspects' or were interviewed may also still be living ... in their 80s.The clock is ticking, and Debra needs justice.

I think so also. I'm looking into some possible connections and the proximity of where "ONE" of Valades shoes was found; in Sandown alledgedly. Where Sandra's body was found on pinegreen hill road in derry. Debra Horn's body was found in Sandown on North Road, on property that had the only access off north rd that wasn't a driveway . I'm not an expert but think there may of been a serial killer around this time, maybe even he/she may of known coolidge, or not. The alledged gun used in the Valade case may not of been purchased or won prior to her homicide but a year after. But back to the "ONE" shoe, I believe it's been said that serial killers keep momentoes of their victims and later use them to remember and re-live the events. I am thinking Sandown may be significant in these two cases.

debra_horn.jpg

Debra Lee Horn, age 11
Murdered 29 January 1969

Although Debra might have been abducted by someone who randomly knocked on her door and took advantage of the opportunity, she might have been targeted by someone who knew that she had returned home after falling on the ice, and was still home after her parents and brother left.

Another scenario might be that she left home to go somewhere (store, friend, neighbor) and was picked up by a pervert outside of her home.

Investigators might want to consider John Norman Collins of Michigan as a potential suspect. He is the primary suspect in the murder of Joan Schell, 20, on 30 June 1968, and of Maralynn Skelton, 16, on 23 March 1969. He is also a suspect in several other murders of girls and women in Michigan and California.

Last edited:
debra_horn.jpg

Debra Lee Horn, age 11
Murdered 29 January 1969

Although Debra might have been abducted by someone who randomly knocked on her door and took advantage of the opportunity, she might have been targeted by someone who knew that she had returned home after falling on the ice, and was still home after her parents and brother left.

Another scenario might be that she left home to go somewhere (store, friend, neighbor) and was picked up by a pervert outside of her home.

Investigators might want to consider John Norman Collins of Michigan as a potential suspect. He is the primary suspect in the murder of Joan Schell, 20, on 30 June 1968, and of Maralynn Skelton, 16, on 23 March 1969. He is also a suspect in several other murders of girls and women in Michigan and California.
weren't her boots still in the house. I thought I read that in one of the articles. It could of been random. Wasn't there construction going on on that short street? Also it may have been someone who knew her and the family.

Cross-posting threads..

Jan 29, 2024 rbbm
''ANDOWN, N.H. —

The killing of an 11-year-old girl found in Sandown remains unsolved after 55 years.
  • Body found: Aug. 10, 1969
  • Case status: Unsolved homicide
''She slipped on ice and bumped the back of her head walking to school that morning, according to a report at the time from the Associated Press. Horn asked to stay home that day, and she was home alone that morning while her parents were at work, the report said.

When the parents returned home for lunch, she was missing. Her father was convinced she had been abducted, the Associated Press said in the report.''

''Horn's English tutor, Luella Blakeslee, went missing a month before Horn's body was found. Blakeslee's remains were found in a shallow grave in 1998. It is not known if these cases are connected.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnceAgain
Back