NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

Guessing by this time authorities have gone through phone records & e/m's & snail mail of Wendy & Steve.
Can we conclude murderer(s) did not contact-harass-threaten them prior to the fateful day?

Unfortunately, we don't know what the authorities know. Perhaps there were threats, but they didn't tell the public yet.

The hate crime scenario seems plausible as robbery doesn't seem likely. But there's many other potential areas for friction with other trail users. Here in NC, park usage soared during the pandemic. At the same time I saw more people popping up on social media and neighborhood listservs commenting about being armed on the trails, whether with pepper spray or firearms. Maybe newcomers to the outdoors feel the need to do this to feel more secure. I don't know.

Knowing this, I am careful now to avoid criticizing any strangers whether it's for littering, leaving dog poop on the trails, or letting dogs roam unleashed, by far the biggest complaint according to NC park rangers. I noticed on a map posted earlier that leashes were required within one section of the Marsh trail due to wildlife concerns. Maybe this provoked a conflict?

I exchange friendly greetings with 95+% of people I encounter on local trails. But there are at least a couple of people I cross paths with each month that either avoid eye contact or otherwise give off a creepy or fearful vibe. I go my way and keep my distance.

I brought up another hate crime that happened in 2013, and I was looking into whether there could be a connection.

On July 31, 2012, Donald Jackson Freese III and Joshua Kyle Peno, yelled a racial slur at an African-american man,
pulled him from his moped and beat him up. The assault was considered a hate crime. Donald Freese
lived (and I believe still lives) in Concord, and Peno is from Nottingham. Freese was convicted of a hate crime in 2013.
He brandished a knife and slashed the man.

He was also convicted of stealing guns and shooting at someone in 2020.

While in prison, DJ Freese accused a correction officer of assaulting him. Interestingly, Peno, also in prison, was one of the witnesses. According to that article Freese would be released in the week of April 26,2022. It appears that he may
have been released after the murders, but I don't know for certainty. He is no longer an inmate in NH state prison.
Joshua Kyle Peno, however, is still in prison (not sure which offense, but there are many).

It appears that Joshua Peno couldn't have killed the Reids, and Freese probably couldn't have done it either (but I still have to confirm his release date to be sure of his alibi). Given his record, I do believe that Freese would be capable of such an act.

Assault case considered hate crime

Cops Use Drone To Track Down Firearm Theft Suspect In Manchester

Freese Convicted of Hate Crime

The hate crime scenario seems plausible as robbery doesn't seem likely. But there's many other potential areas for friction with other trail users.

Knowing this, I am careful now to avoid criticizing any strangers whether it's for littering, leaving dog poop on the trails, or letting dogs roam unleashed, by far the biggest complaint according to NC park rangers.

Well said.

I enjoy hiking, dirt biking, hunting (to a degree), crabbing, fishing and just being out doors.

That aside, there is a small subset of the population that seems to think that being outdoors equates to "No limits- Mad Max anarchy" and can react very badly to what they perceive as any attempt to infringe on their "freedom".

These people may mix trail use with drug and alcohol use- and may even go to the area for the primary purpose of drug and alcohol use.

Likewise, others may develop an attitude of "I have done "A" and "B" here for years- and nobody better criticize it".

Though I did not appreciate the suburban mother who questioned my son carrying a knife (fishing, of course he has one) nor the dad who dirty looked my sling shot, I just assured the mother that he would be very careful (he always is)- and made a mental note that it was time to find another still isolated area.

Other people, however, might have flipped out over the insinuation that they should not do something that they had done for years. In short, I think you are right that a dispute over trail use could have led to the crime.

Last edited:
Well said.

I enjoy hiking, dirt biking, hunting (to a degree), crabbing, fishing and just being out doors.

That aside, there is a small subset of the population that seems to think that being outdoors equates to "No limits- Mad Max anarchy" and can react very badly to what they perceive as any attempt to infringe on their "freedom".

These people may mix trail use with drug and alcohol use- and may even go to the area for the primary purpose of drug and alcohol use.

Likewise, others may develop an attitude of "I have done "A" and "B" here for years- and nobody better criticize it".

Though I did not appreciate the suburban mother who questioned my son carrying a knife (fishing, of course he has one) nor the dad who dirty looked my sling shot, I just assured the mother that he would be very careful (he always is)- and made a mental note that it was time to find another still isolated area.

Other people, however, might have flipped out over the insinuation that they should not do something that they had done for years. In short, I think you are right that a dispute over trail use could have led to the crime.
Last year I was hiking with my husband on a trail that seldom is being used by others.. There was a woman who started screaming at us because we didn't have masks on. My husband kept his temper in check and told her we enjoy the fresh air. She replied, "I hope covid kills you both." There are some unstable people on the trails (and everywhere, for that matter)

There are some unstable people on the trails (and everywhere, for that matter)
That is a good point.

Presuming that the murderer is local and stayed local after the crime, I wonder if it would be beneficial for the police to pose as under cover trail users. Then, take note of any weirdos who approach then about anything. If things get too heated, make an arrest.

I was wondering about the exact path the Reids took in their walk. I presume they didn't walk on the public roads, but took a shortcut. Looking at satellite images, it seems that you can walk directly from Alton woods through the power-line cleared area to the highway bridge over portsmouth rd,
walk under the bridges, cross portsmouth rd to the small parking area where one can access the trail.

I can imagine a few scenarios:

A neighbor with a grudge could have followed them from Alton Woods.

They encountered some person or people in the small parking area, there was some conflict and got murdered in the woods. If anyone would have seen a car parked in the parking area, that would be of major interest.

Associating a woman on a trail who yells at you to put masks on with a husband and wife murdered by multiple gun shots?
I can see a nexus. Encountering any stranger on a trail who gets extremely angry and threatening has the potential to escalate should someone be armed.

I've been verbally attacked by a ranting & seemingly mentally ill homeless person on a trail in urban Denver but it could have easily escalated (I chose to ignore the behavior but it was threatening and I was alone).

It really doesn't matter what "topic" (if any) provides motivation to an angry person who is unreasonable.

I read an account of a homeless man in Concord who produced a weapon to threaten others at a shelter in Concord this year. I did not share it here because there is nothing in the news linking him to this crime.

Unreasonable people with weapons act out all the time. And some of them kill strangers.

JMO

They encountered some person or people in the small parking area, there was some conflict and got murdered in the woods. If anyone would have seen a car parked in the parking area, that would be of major interest.
I like that possibility. I wonder if at risk youth types are known to loiter in that parking lot?

Last year I was hiking with my husband on a trail that seldom is being used by others.. There was a woman who started screaming at us because we didn't have masks on. My husband kept his temper in check and told her we enjoy the fresh air. She replied, "I hope covid kills you both." There are some unstable people on the trails (and everywhere, for that matter)
What a horrible person, I'm glad your husband kept his temper. *advertiser censored*

Regarding the possibility of a hate crime:

I have mentioned some hate groups that are active in the New England area such as the Nationalist Social Club or NSC-131 is the Brotherhood of White Warriors.
The BOWW is a white supremacist prison gang, but is also active outside of prison.
It was formed in 2005 in a prison in Berlin, NH. The BOWW is involved in drugs, extortion, robberies, assaults and so forth.

A former teacher of Broken Grounds Elementary School (close to the Broken Grounds trails where the Reids were killed) helped a BOWW gang member Matthew Peters to smuggle drugs into prison.

Former teacher accused of smuggling drugs to prison boyfriend in New Hampshire
Former Concord Teacher Arrested on Drug Smuggling, Other Charges
Investigator: DNA Links Former Concord Teacher to Drug Smuggling

Associating a woman on a trail who yells at you to put masks on with a husband and wife murdered by multiple gun shots?
Actually, she was screaming at the top of her lungs and wished us death. I was NOT comparing our situation to the murders. I was saying that there are people everywhere that get very upset over the smallest of things, Have a wonderful night :)

Actually, she was screaming at the top of her lungs and wished us death. I was NOT comparing our situation to the murders. I was saying that there are people everywhere that get very upset over the smallest of things, Have a wonderful night :)

Yeah, things can escalate rather quickly when someone has a weapon.

Regarding the possibility of a hate crime:

I have mentioned some hate groups that are active in the New England area such as the Nationalist Social Club or NSC-131 is the Brotherhood of White Warriors.
There is a joke regarding white supremacist groups- or any group of extremists for that matter. Out of every three members:

- One is a true believer.
- One is an under cover reporter.
- One is an under cover police officer.

Though hate could be a motive, my bet is that the attacker is more likely to be a "lone wolf" than a member of an organized group as they organized groups, their members and their activities tend to be known rather well.

I’m sure the authorities have far more information than we do and their decision to keep quiet is likely to protect the investigation, but I wish they would hold a press conference or release a statement to update the public, at the very least to say it’s still an active investigation. Media attention has fallen by the wayside as time wears on.

Some interesting comment from the local hiking community:

The last Trails and Ales hike up Carter Hill was held on the evening of Wednesday, April 20. The next day, police found the bodies of Steve and Wendy Reid miles away on the city’s Broken Ground trails.

Since then, the part-time trail ranger hired by the city to be the day-to-day public ambassador to Concord’s 80-mile-trail system has resigned. The timing was pure coincidence, city officials say, but occurs at the same time some of the city’s trail enthusiasts are worried about safety in the woods.

“We’re still encouraging people to be vigilant. Do whatever you’re comfortable with,” said Concord Assistant City Planner Beth Fenstermacher, who oversees the trail ranger position. “I still go out on the trails every single morning with my dog. But you know, just be more mindful and watch what’s happening around you.”

ETA Another local update. Unfortunately no new evidence reported.

Last edited:
"Concord Assistant City Planner Beth Fenstermacher, who oversees the trail ranger position. “I still go out on the trails every single morning with my dog. But you know, just be more mindful and watch what’s happening around you.”

Is she implying, suggesting ... ?
Can you please explain what you think the assistant planner is suggesting? I'm not following. Thanks.

Can you please explain what you think the assistant planner is suggesting? I'm not following. Thanks.
"Concord Assistant City Planner Beth Fenstermacher, who oversees the trail ranger position. “I still go out on the trails every single morning with my dog. But you know, just be more mindful and watch what’s happening around you.”

Is she implying, suggesting ... ?
I don’t want to speak for the previous poster, but I personally thought the City Planner’s quote sounded a bit like victim blaming—as though the Reids’ inattentiveness or failure to be “mindful” while hiking is somehow to blame for their murders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back