NH NH - Janis Louise Taylor, 15, Concord, Jan 9, 1968

Murkywaters

Reaction score
UKO5zce.png
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

At the time of her disappearance, Ms. Taylor had been living in Concord, NH, at various addresses, including 176 N. State Street, 89 School Street and the Alosa Trailer Park on Manchester Street. She was a sophomore attending Concord High School in the Fall/Winter of 1967-68.

Prior to attending Concord High School she was enrolled in Manchester Central High School. She grew up in Warner, NH with her 8 siblings. Ms. Taylor was described as being 5 feet 3 inches tall and weighing 110 pounds with brown eyes and long brown hair. She enjoyed 4H activities and riding horses. Additionally, Ms. Taylor was associated with people who worked at Rumford Press in Concord.

Last edited:
Demographics
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 3" (63 Inches)
Weight: 110 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: January 9, 1968
NamUs Case Created: March 27, 2019
Last Known Location Map
County: Merrimack County
Missing From Tribal Land: No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: No

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: long
Left Eye Color: Brown
Right Eye Color: Brown
Eye Description --

Distinctive Physical Features
Scar/mark: scar from abscess behind left ear

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing: Gold and white suit, black nylons, black shoes, blue coat, and carrying a white purse.

Investigating Agencies
Concord Police Department, Paul Shaughnessy, Detective
(603) 225-8600
Agency Case Number: 19-16107-OF

I take it to mean this has some sort of significance? Or could.

“Additionally, Ms. Taylor was associated with people who worked at Rumford Press in Concord.”

A quick search of newspapers yielded a few results from the 50s and 60s, mostly of them (Rumford Press) being involved in libel suits, but nothing eye-catching. I wish we had more details of her actual disappearance.

I just did some cursory research on young women murdered during this timeframe within (approx.) an hours drive of Concord, NH. I quickly found six women who could possibly be tied to the same killer. Here is the data base I was looking at:
Victim List | Cold Case Unit | NH Department of Justice

It sure looks like a SK to me, and I have read on various miscreants who "operated" in that area during that timeframe.
Many of the decedents were very close in age and looks. It seems this killer had a "type".

Amateur opinion and speculation

I just did some cursory research on young women murdered during this timeframe within (approx.) an hours drive of Concord, NH. I quickly found six women who could possibly be tied to the same killer. Here is the data base I was looking at:

It sure looks like a SK to me, and I have read on various miscreants who "operated" in that area during that timeframe.
Many of the decedents were very close in age and looks. It seems this killer had a "type".

I see that. Very interesting. I’m not familiar with SK in this area, is there one in particular you had in mind?

I see that. Very interesting. I’m not familiar with SK in this area, is there one in particular you had in mind?
I haven't gone that deep yet. However, the victims I reviewed were all in the 11-15 yr range, and all brunette, mostly with short hair. They all lived within an hour of each other. A quick check shows a few SK possibilities in that time and era. We can further refine by manner of death; the ones I reviewed were all strangled, unless decomposition didn't permit that conclusion.

One lunatic can do so much irreparable damage.

Janis Louise Taylor
  • taylor_janis.jpg
  • taylor_janis2.jpg
Janis, circa 1968; Janis in 1963 (approximately five years prior to her disappearance)

• Missing Since01/08/1968
  • Missing FromConcord, New Hampshire
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth09/27/1952 (68)
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA blue coat, a gold and white suit, black nylon stockings and black shoes. Carrying a white purse.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Janis has a scar behind her left ear from an abscess.
Details of Disappearance
Janis was last seen in Concord, New Hampshire on January 9, 1968. She was a sophomore at Concord High School at the time of her disappearance; she had previously attended Manchester Central High School. She has never been heard from again.

Janis grew up in Warner, New Hampshire and has eight siblings. She enjoyed horseback riding and 4-H Club activities. Few details are available in her case.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 31, 2020; casefile added.

Janis Louise Taylor
taylor_janis.jpg
taylor_janis2.jpg

Janis, circa 1968; Janis in 1963 (approximately five years prior to her disappearance)

• Missing Since 01/08/1968
  • Missing From Concord, New Hampshire
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/27/1952 (69)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue coat, a gold and white suit, black nylon stockings and black shoes. Carrying a white purse.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Janis has a scar behind her left ear from an abscess.
Details of Disappearance

Janis was last seen in Concord, New Hampshire on January 9, 1968. She was a sophomore at Concord High School at the time of her disappearance; she had previously attended Manchester Central High School. She has never been heard from again.

Janis grew up in Warner, New Hampshire and has eight siblings. She enjoyed horseback riding and 4-H Club activities. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency
  • Concord Police Department 603-225-8600
Source Information

These cases might be related to the disappearance of Janis Louise Taylor. Although many more homicides are listed at the link, these all occurred in a 7 year span and involved similarities of victim, and methods of operation. Some of them have separate threads here on Websleuths.

Note that some are unsolved homicides, some are missing person cases, and some involve unidentified victims.

For more information on each case, click on the name.

Dunham,Joanne, Year: 1968 City/Town: Charlestown

Horn,Debra Year: 1969 City/Town: Sandown

Blakeslee,Luella, Year: 1969/1998, City/Town: Hopkinton,,Status: Unsolved Homicide

Whitacre, Carmel Sue
Year: 1970/1979 City/Town: Northwood

Gloddy, Kathy Lynn
Year: 1971 City/Town: Franklin

Unidentified Female Year: 1971 City/Town: Bedford

Clevesy, Arlene, Year: 1972, City/Town: Newton,

Randall, Kathleen Year: 1972 City/Town: Nashua

Compagna, Diane, Year: 1973, City/Town: Candia,

Psaradelis, Anne Year: 1973 City/Town: Candia

Doe, Jane Year: 1974 City/Town: Marlborough

Lord, Judy, Year: 1975 City/Town: Concord

Stankiewicz, Melodie Year: 1975 City/Town: Salem

LINK:

Cold Case Investigation of Missing Person, Janis Taylor (15) of Concord | News Releases | NH Department of Justice

Cold Case Investigation of Missing Person, Janis Taylor (15) of Concord, NH, missing since late 1967/early 1968
Request for Public Assistance

20220328-janis-taylor.jpg

Concord, NH – Attorney General John M. Formella, Concord Police Chief Bradley C. Osgood and Colonel Nathan A. Noyes of the New Hampshire State Police announce that the New Hampshire Cold Case Unit and the Concord Police Department are investigating the disappearance of Janis Taylor (15) from Concord, New Hampshire who was reported missing on January 8, 1968. Ms. Taylor's disappearance is considered suspicious, and the Cold Case Unit is asking the public for assistance in the investigation. Police are looking for anyone who had contact with Ms. Taylor between December 1967 and the time of her disappearance or anytime thereafter.

At the time of her disappearance, Ms. Taylor had been living in Concord, NH at various addresses, including 176 N. State Street, 89 School Street and the Alosa Trailer Park on Manchester Street. She was a sophomore attending Concord High School in the Fall/Winter of 1967-68. Prior to attending Concord High School, she was enrolled in Manchester Central High School. She grew up in Warner, NH with her 8 siblings. Ms. Taylor was described as being 5 feet 3 inches tall and weighing 110 pounds with brown eyes and long brown hair. She enjoyed 4H activities and riding horses. Additionally, Ms. Taylor was associated with people who worked at Rumford Press in Concord.

Anyone who knew or associated with Ms. Taylor or has information about her disappearance is requested to contact Detective Paul Shaughnessy at the Concord Police Department (603-230-4934) or PShaughnessy@Concordpolice.com or the Concord Police Department Crimeline at (603) 226-3100 or Sergeant Matthew Koehler of the New Hampshire Cold Case Unit (603-223-3648).

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) are also assisting with this investigation. NamUs and NCMEC provide national resources and databases to help locate missing persons.

This case is being prosecuted by Senior Assistant Attorney General Susan G. Morrell of the New Hampshire Cold Case Unit of the Criminal Justice Bureau.

Could the disappearance of Janis be related to the abduction and murder of another New Hampshire girl, JoAnne Dunham (also age 15) only five months later?

LINK:

NH - NH - Joanne Dunham, 15, Charlestown, 11 Jun 1968
Joanne Dunham was believed to be a possible victim, one of his first, of the Connecticut River Valley Killer. At least seven women were stabbed to death in and around the Newport-Claremont area of NH. Compagna and Psaradelis were killed by a school acquaintance. Horn and Blaksley were believed to be murdered by a guy currently in prison for another murder. There are others on the list that have been solved but do not have enough evidence to convict.

Janis Louise Taylor – The Charley Project

Last updated April 3, 2022; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Janis was last seen waiting for a ride home from school in Concord, New Hampshire on January 9, 1968. She was a sophomore at Concord High School at the time of her disappearance; she had previously attended Manchester Central High School. She has never been heard from again.

Prior to her disappearance, Janis had regularly baby-sat a little boy. She had seen the little boy with bruises on his body and told relatives that she thought a man, who had a connection to the boy's family but wasn't a relative, was responsible.

The boy subsequently died at the age of two and his death was ruled a homicide, by blunt force trauma to the abdomen. The man Janis had believed was abusing him pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter in the child's death. Janis's brother believes this man could have also been involved in his sister's disappearance. There is no evidence to support this theory, however.

Janis grew up in Warner, New Hampshire and has eight siblings. She enjoyed horseback riding and 4-H Club activities, and had a job at a nearby stable. Her father and at least one of her brothers have since died, although other siblings and her mother are still alive.

Her case remains unsolved.

Clevesy, Arlene, Year: 1972, City/Town: Newton,
Arlene's murder was recently solved. Albert Francis Moore, Jr. was determined to be her killer. Here is some more info.
Moore was also convicted of killing Donald Rimer in Salem, Massachusetts
Edit here's another article with some more details

Last edited:
Arlene's murder was recently solved. Albert Francis Moore, Jr. was determined to be her killer. Here is some more info.
Moore was also convicted of killing Donald Rimer in Salem, Massachusetts
Edit here's another article with some more details

Good catch, and hopefully investigators will look into any clues which might link Arlene's murder to some of the other cases which remain unsolved, including the disappearance of Janis Taylor.

Year of Death or Disappearance: 1968

City/Town: Concord

Janis Taylor (15) from Concord, New Hampshire who was reported missing on January 8, 1968. Ms. Taylor's disappearance is considered suspicious, and the New Hampshire Cold Case Unit is asking the public for assistance in the investigation. Police are looking for anyone who had contact with Ms. Taylor between December 1967 and the time of her disappearance or anytime thereafter. At the time of her disappearance, Ms. Taylor had been living in Concord, NH at various addresses, including 176 N. State Street, 89 School Street and the Alosa Trailer Park on Manchester Street. She was a sophomore attending Concord High School in the Fall/Winter of 1967-68. Prior to attending Concord High School, she was enrolled in Manchester Central High School. She grew up in Warner, NH with her 8 siblings. Ms. Taylor was described as being 5 feet 3 inches tall and weighing 110 pounds with brown eyes and long brown hair. She enjoyed 4H activities and riding horses. Additionally, Ms. Taylor was associated with people who worked at Rumford Press in Concord.

Help us solve this case and bring justice to the family of this victim. Use our Tip Form.

From newspapers.com, Concord Monitor, 11 Nov 80, pg 17. Article includes info on Ms. Taylor, first name is spelled as "Janice", however dates, etc., align with Namus case. There is info in the article (general specifics are which in her CharleyProject casefile). Janice/Janis would watch her nephew after school. It appears that she lived with her sister-in-law and sister-in-law's boyfriend. The boyfriend is the one who "returned to the trailer park later to say he hadn't been able to find her when he went to pick her up at school" (The SIL reported her as missing after she returned from work and Janis/Janice had still not returned) The same 2 y/o nephew that young Ms. Taylor babysat after school died a month later due to a beating. The same boyfriend was convicted of 2nd degree manslaughter.

I've attached the pdf file for the entire article as others missing from NH are referenced, including Stanley Bassett, for which a thread was recently created.

Attachments

• Concord_Monitor_Tue__Nov_11__1980_.pdf
    463.3 KB · Views: 14

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member