GUILTY NH - Kimberly Cates, 42, dead, 11yo girl maimed, Mont Vernon, 4 Oct 2009

So, they did have an alarm system, but it did not work. They used it for a short period of time 2-3 years ago, but it had a short in it and they could never get it to work. There were motion detectors which would light up when you walked through, but they didn't work either. :(

So, they did have an alarm system, but it did not work. They used it for a short period of time 2-3 years ago, but it had a short in it and they could never get it to work. There were motion detectors which would light up when you walked through, but they didn't work either. :(

I didn't see you there!

They cut off the electricity too, I thought. (would that have rendered it useless tho? I had one thru my phone system that worked very well)

I'm watching the dad on the stand also.

Dunno if this has been posted, but it is a very through overview of the crime:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/891704-196/prosecutors-police-others-describe-how-mom-girl.html

Prosecutors, police, others describe how mom, girl cut
By JOSEPH G. COTE

Andrew Winters, Spader’s defense attorney, focused on what the jury has to do and what the state has to prove.

“After you have heard all the evidence, you will conclude that it just doesn’t add up. It just doesn’t make sense that this happened the way the state says it did,” Winters said.

He said the state’s star witnesses – Marks, Glover and Autumn Savoy – have cut deals with the state and are pushing the blame onto Spader to save themselves as much prison time as possible. Their stories have changed, sometimes more than once, since they were first questioned, he said.

~

He said Marks was heard telling his girlfriend that his knife was “destined for big things.”
Finally, Winters said despite the physical evidence the state says it found, including clothes and shoes pulled from the Nashua River and samples taken from inside the Cates home, none of it has blood, or hair or DNA that places Spader at the scene.

I find that difficult, if not impossible to believe. Kimberly alone had more than 40 wounds, how could there be no evidence? Didn't they all have shaved heads at this time?

Traffics - yes, they cut the power, but usually alarms have a battery backup. In this instance, that wouldn't have mattered since it didn't work anyway.

No evidence? Doesn't "add up". Right.

Spader wrote a 'poem' in jail that outright says what he did! It's signed by him. In his handwriting. It's in evidence. Was read to the jury.
It's utterly disgusting.
That's just one way in which he implicates himself!

Another toe is gone
How did we go wrong
We had the perfect plan
Machete's in our hands
We went up in the house
We turned the power off
Quiet as a mouse
We went up in the house
We went up in the room
Mommy is it you
Your mommy isn't here
I slit her throat from ear to ear
Now we're all in jail
Now we have no bail
FRIEND'S TURNING OVER FRIEND'S
And this is how the story ends

By Steven Spader (in evidence)

So, to the defense lawyer--good luck trying to say the 'friend's' are just turning to make themselves a better deal cuz your own client tells it's the truth himself--Friend's turning on friend's!!!

To further clarify the NH Death Penalty law -- premeditation does not specifically apply. The death penalty can only be applied to the following six specific crimes:
*murder of a law enforcement official
*murder while engaged in a kidnapping
*a "contract" killing or "hit"
*a murder after the accused has already served a life sentence
*murder occurring with an aggravated sexual assault
*murder coupled with a federal drug offense
by David/WMUR Staff

Spader's charges are:
1st degree murder
attempted murder
conspiracy to commit murder
conspiracy to commit burglary
witness tampering

Did it end early today, I can't get the video feed to work?

I wonder if Jaimie is on the stand and that is why the video feed is down?

NASHUA, N.H. -- A grim but composed David Cates took the stand Wednesday in the trial of a man charged with killing his wife and attacking his daughter with a machete.
The husband of Kimberly Cates testified that he was away on business the weekend of Oct. 4, 2009. He said his last communication with his family was a text message he sent a few hours before a break-in that prosecutors say led to the attack on his wife and daughter.
"They normally go to bed pretty late, so I didn't bother them," David Cates said.
Steven Spader, 18, is charged with first-degree murder in the attack. Cates kept his eyes only on Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin and the jury until the very end of his 25-minute testimony, when he looked Spader in the eye.
Strelzin walked over to the defense table at the end of his inquiry, pointed at Spader and asked Cates three pointed questions.
"Did you ever give the defendant, Steven Spader, or anyone else permission to be in your home on Oct. 4, 2009?" Strelzin asked.
"I "Did you ever give the defendant, Steven Spader, or anyone else permission to take any one of those items I just showed you out of your home?" Strelzin asked.
"I did not," Cates said.
"Did you give them permission to take any other items out of your home?" Strelzin asked.
"I did not," Cates said.
Cates has avoided all media exposure since the attack, but in court Wednesday, he laid open his private life. He said that before October 2009, he averaged 26 business trips per year as an engineer for BAE Systems. He said that changed after the attack.
"Because Jaimie needed me there, and I needed to be there with Jaimie," he said.
Cates was asked to identify various items prosecutors said were recovered from the suspects in the case, including an old wallet of his and jewelry boxes that belonged to his daughter and wife.
He was called to the stand just before noon and asked to identify jewelry boxes
Cates' testimony came after prosecutors went through photographs that showed the bloody crime scene inside 4 Trow Road. Spader looked at the photos intently as they were projected for the jury.
Cates testified that his home did have a security system at one time, but a fuse blew a couple of years ago and they hadn't used it since. The defense declined to cross-examine Cates.
Earlier in the day, Dr. David Mooney, who leads the pediatric trauma unit at Children's Hospital in Boston, where Jaimie was treated, took the stand. He said he had never treated a child with so many wounds.
Mooney, Jaimie's primary care physician, testified that the girl would have died from her injuries if she hadn't been able to call 911 for help and receive treatment quickly. He also said the wounds were consistent with the knife and machete he was shown by prosecutors.
"Their wounds were right through the bone where the bone had been cut clean across, which is very hard to do, which required a lot of force and something much bigger than that little knife," Mooney said.
Wednesday's court session ended early because one of the jurors had a prescheduled appointment.

http://www.wmur.com/mont-vernon/25533907/detail.html

A mistake in the testimony reported:
"They normally go to bed pretty early, so I didn't bother them." Mr Cates said.
(sent e-mail to the station)

Surgeon: ‘Considerable’ force needed to cause Jaimie’s wounds
By JOSEPH COTE
Staff Writer
NASHUA – Boston Children’s Hospital surgeon Amir Taghinia just showed the jury a half dozen photos of Jamie Cates’ injuries and explained them in excruciating and painstaking detail.
Taghinia said a sharp, heavy weapon wielded with “considerable” force would have been necessary to inflict a number of the wounds, including to Jaimie Cates’ forehead, thigh, side, cheek, foot and elbow.
The injuries were devastating, including a fractured skull and elbow and partially amputated foot. There were a number of other wounds that a large, heavy weapon could not have created, he said. Those wounds came from a smaller weapon like a paring knife used in a jabbing, stabbing motion, he said.
He said the machete Assistant Attorney General Peter Hinckly showed him and the state said Steven Spader wielded could have caused the first set of wounds.
He said, under questioning from defense attorney Andrew Winters, that any other large, heavy weapon could also have caused them.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news...nsiderable-force-needed-to-cause-jaimies.html

http://www.unionleader.com/article....es+down+alleged+leader+of+gang+that+butchered

Spader trial: In unflinching testimony, Cates stares down alleged leader of gang that butchered family

By KATHRYN MARCHOCKI
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
NASHUA – Editor note: This story includes very graphic content.
1 p.m. update
David Cates today stared down the teen who allegedly killed his wife and nearly killed his daughter in their Mont Vernon home a year ago, testifying in court that he never gave anyone permission to enter his home and take away possessions.
"Mr. Cates, did you ever give the defendant, Steven Spader, or anyone else, permission to be in your home on Oct. 4, 2009?" Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery A. Strelzin asked as he stood directly in front of the defense table where Spader sat.
"I did not," Cates replied firmly from the Hillsborough County Court, South, witness stand.
"Did you ever give the defendant, Steven Spader, or anyone else with him on Oct. 4, 2009 permission to take any of those items I just showed you out of your home?" Strelzin asked, referring to Mrs. Cate's pearl necklace, two jewelry boxes, and his daughter's iPod that police showed Cates.
did not," Cates repeated in a strong voice as he stared hard at Spader.
Cates left the stand after about 25 minutes of testimony and gave Spader a hard look as he walked past him on his way back to his seat in the spectator section.
Spader, 18, of Brookline, seemed slightly unnerved, but stared straight back.

Morning testimony
This was very difficult to listen to:

11:15 a.m. update
The physician who supervised Jaimie Cates' care at Children's Hospital in Boston today said he had never treated anyone with so many separate and sharp wounds and said the 11-year-old girl likely would have died if she had not been able to drag herself to the telephone and call for help.
Pretty much every part of her body had one cut on it," Dr. David Mooney told the Hillsborough County Superior Court jury on the second full day of testimony in Steven Spader's trial for first-degree murder, attempted murder and related charges.
Mooney was the first witness on the stand this morning and testified as an expert witness.
Mooney has been director of the trauma unit at Children's Hospital for 11 years and has more than 20 years of experience in the field.
Some of the wounds "cut right through the bone." They included several sharp, deep wounds that cut through Jaimie's jaw, right elbow, cracked her skull, cut off a portion of her left foot and her big left toe.
"We couldn't do this with one of our sharpest scalpels," Mooney said as he held a photo of Jaimie Cates' partially amputated left foot before jurors.
"This wound requires a large weapon.with a lot of force behind it," Mooney explained.He testified Jaimie's injuries were caused by two types of weapons: one a knife deep and wide enough to cut through her flesh, ribs and muscle to puncture her right lung; the other a machete delivered with "violent" force.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/10/teen_describes.html
Witness: Spader entered woman's bedroom with a machete
Posted by John Ellement October 28, 2010 10:43 AM

During the testimony, Spader leaned back in his chair and looked directly at Cates, who glared briefly at the defendant as he walked back to his seat.

Earlier Wednesday, Spader bent forward at the defense table to view crime scene photographs displayed on a large screen. Along with the nine women and seven men on the jury, Spader saw photos of bloody tracks in the master bedroom, blood on the walls near a light switch, and carpeting apparently soaked with blood where Jaimie Cates had pretended to be dead while Spader allegedly struck her with a machete.

Well, so he is interested in seeing all the gore. I think the only thing he is sorry about is that he got caught. Maybe if they had kept their mouths shut and off the internet they wouldn't have been. Thank goodness they didn't.

That's what I was thinking, thank goodness they talked. Or should I say bragged. There appears there was no evidence in the house to put them there, which means there's a good chance they could have got away with murder.

That's what I was thinking, thank goodness they talked. Or should I say bragged. There appears there was no evidence in the house to put them there, which means there's a good chance they could have got away with murder.

JulieR - And that just blows my mind given what went on and how many of them were in there....

IIRC I believe they all shaved their heads or wore hats and gloves, but still it blows my mind also. Scary that there are teens out there thinking the way these teens did.

E.V.I.L. That's all I can say about this pig. He was obviously telling his friends about his horrific desires prior to the murder. No one took him seriously? How was he able to keep his dark side hidden from his family?

They need to lock him up and throw away the key. IMO, he will never be fit to live amongst society.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back