NH NH - Laureen Rahn, 14, Manchester, 27 April 1980

Does anyone think it's weird that Laureen's mother changed her telephone number a few years later?
I'm not trying to suggest anything sinister, but it's still curious. Why would you cut off the one possible link to your daughter?
It's doubly curious, because Laureen's mother has gone on record to say she believes her daughter is still alive.

Does anyone think it's weird that Laureen's mother changed her telephone number a few years later?
I'm not trying to suggest anything sinister, but it's still curious. Why would you cut off the one possible link to your daughter?
It's doubly curious, because Laureen's mother has gone on record to say she believes her daughter is still alive.
Maybe after several years of having her phone ring in the middle of the night, she got spooked and changed the number?
Although, it does seem odd that LE apparently were not made aware of those calls.
imo. rbbm.

40 years after disappearance, family holds out hope for Laureen: ‘In my heart I want to believe she’s alive…’
''Laureen’s mother believed her daughter was alive in part because, she told reporters, of telephone calls she said she received around 3:45 a.m. over several years. When she picked up, the caller said nothing. The calls were more frequent at Christmastime.

Detective Lucas Hobbs, currently assigned to cold cases, said there is nothing in the official police file about those calls.

And then there were three calls charged to her phone bill from California. Two of the calls were made to hotels and the third one was to a hotline for teenagers with questions about sex.''

''According to published reports, Rahn called the number and the “doctor” who ran the program denied knowing anything about the calls.''
Mrs. Rahn told news reporters that an investigator she hired later discovered that “Dr. Z” was having young girls stay at his home and he was manufacturing child *advertiser censored*.

Hobbs said there is nothing in the official police file about any of those phone calls either.''

Maybe after several years of having her phone ring in the middle of the night, she got spooked and changed the number?

I guess it's possible the phone calls were damaging to her mental-health, but the calls weren't of a harassing nature. Laureen may have just wanted to hear her mother's voice and was too scared to speak. It just seems bizarre to me that you would sever that link if you believe your daughter is still alive out there.
There are many parents of missing children who remain in the same house for decades on the off-chance their child returns someday.

She moved to another state though, right? Florida, I think? And this was when people had landlines still as a primary number, so I don't think keeping her phone number from Manchester would have been an option.

Edited: Was LE not made aware of the calls, or for some reason didn't think they were worth noting, not related? I'm confused....

She moved to another state though, right? Florida, I think? And this was when people had landlines still as a primary number, so I don't think keeping her phone number from Manchester would have been an option.

I think the implication is that she changed her telephone number even before moving to another state.

Yes, she was submitted....but how big are the changes she is Laureen. I say, nothing is impossible but we can't mold facts trying to fit things in what we want to see. Sorry.....
I'm sorry but what "big changes"? The doe fits EVERY category of Laureen except height and LR was 5'4" when she disappeared but was 14-surely a 3 inch growth isn't that big of a deal.

And about scars-when I was 8, I fell on a steel post bed frame and split my brow area open 5 inches and it was so deep they had to put me in a straight jacket to get the stitches done. I'm a lot older now and you can't even see the scar.

BTW: Got a call from a detective on the case so there's that.

I'm sorry but what "big changes"? The doe fits EVERY category of Laureen except height and LR was 5'4" when she disappeared but was 14-surely a 3 inch growth isn't that big of a deal.

And about scars-when I was 8, I fell on a steel post bed frame and split my brow area open 5 inches and it was so deep they had to put me in a straight jacket to get the stitches done. I'm a lot older now and you can't even see the scar.

BTW: Got a call from a detective on the case so there's that.

If you want to comment on my English, that's fine with me, it's not my mother tongue, so I'm doing a great job....

Don't get me wrong I would be very happy if Laureen is in fact this Jane Doe. They both can go home then.

And what did the detective say?

Last edited:
The detective just said he got the call from NAMUS about my submission and that he had been in contact with Canada and the ball was in their court. He wasn't sure if they took DNA from the Canada doe so.....

An interesting note: On canadamissing, it says she was just found on the train platform; everywhere else I've seen her case: suicide. Also, here's another composite I did. It's kind of creepy looking but it shows just how much doe/Laureen resemble each other.

Attachments

• Laureen 2.pdf
    143.3 KB · Views: 26
Find the girlfriend that was with her that night and you will likely find out what happened to Laureen. Whoever she was with has never come forward (she was a minor then) or given an interview in 40 years. If my friend went missing in the middle of night I might tell a fib to protect and her (and me) at 14, but I would be vocal as an adult with nothing to hide. I had always heard there were two boys and two girls in the apt. drinking the boys were over 18. One of the boys committed suicide years later, but was not considered a suspect. The 'investigator' went to California 5 years later and tried to find Dr Z. and the *advertiser censored* motel. But found no proof that Laureen was ever there. Local rumor mill has it that he just wasted a lot of Judith's money with zero return. I think there is more mis-information about this case than most. The police have released very little information to the public. She did not run away. So logically she is/was in the area where she went missing and is likely deceased. If she could call an ex BF from middle school years later, why would she not call her Mom or her Aunt?

Find the girlfriend that was with her that night and you will likely find out what happened to Laureen. Whoever she was with has never come forward (she was a minor then) or given an interview in 40 years. If my friend went missing in the middle of night I might tell a fib to protect and her (and me) at 14, but I would be vocal as an adult with nothing to hide. I had always heard there were two boys and two girls in the apt. drinking the boys were over 18. One of the boys committed suicide years later, but was not considered a suspect. The 'investigator' went to California 5 years later and tried to find Dr Z. and the *advertiser censored* motel. But found no proof that Laureen was ever there. Local rumor mill has it that he just wasted a lot of Judith's money with zero return. I think there is more mis-information about this case than most. The police have released very little information to the public. She did not run away. So logically she is/was in the area where she went missing and is likely deceased. If she could call an ex BF from middle school years later, why would she not call her Mom or her Aunt?

You’re right, it’s hard to determine what’s a red herring in this case and not. There were no signs of a break-in, struggle or murder at the house. Apparently one of the neighbours heard someone leaving from the backsteps. That would back-up the male friend’s story but how do we know it was just him? What if Laureen went off with some guys that night and foul play occurred? The friend felt guilty for whatever part he played and killed himself? Of course, we don’t know for sure if his suicide was related to Laureen’s disappearance or not but it has to be considered.

I don’t expect that anyone here knows the answer, but I wonder if anyone has ever asked the old boyfriend Roger who Laureen supposedly tried calling, who the other girl and boy (possibly two guys) were who were at the apartment with Laureen the night she went missing?

If we're on the topic of discussing men who were around, what became of her mom's tennis playing boyfriend?

Just another thing to consider, but a young runaway, or someone otherwise mixed up in unsavory things, abused, victimized etc might feel more comfortable reaching out to a peer. They may not have been alone when they called either.

On the topic of the UID and suicide, I also read some conflicting reports. Some theorized the area around the train station had cover where someone else may have harmed her.

Another thought: Suicide in a train station is often suicide by jumping in front of a train. That's not what happened here....

edited: Does anyone know how she took her life?

If we're on the topic of discussing men who were around, what became of her mom's tennis playing boyfriend?

Just another thing to consider, but a young runaway, or someone otherwise mixed up in unsavory things, abused, victimized etc might feel more comfortable reaching out to a peer. They may not have been alone when they called either.

On the topic of the UID and suicide, I also read some conflicting reports. Some theorized the area around the train station had cover where someone else may have harmed her.

Another thought: Suicide in a train station is often suicide by jumping in front of a train. That's not what happened here....

edited: Does anyone know how she took her life?

How do you know the UID didn’t jump in front of a train?

How do you know the UID didn’t jump in front of a train?

I don't know with 100% certainty, but I would think it would have been mentioned and noted in the condition of her remains? Perhaps not though. I know when I have seen cases where a person was hit by a car, a train, etc it is noted i.e. "Pedestrian struck and killed while crossing the street. Was seen the previous day hitchhiking, may have X accent, name possibly __" that kind of thing. Or "She stepped off a subway platform in front of an uncoming train"

Hmmm, the WMUR articles blur the info, making it unclear when her mother discovered the doors. It seems to me as though the mother's boyfriend peeked in Laureen's room, and thought it was her in bed when they found the front door unlocked. So maybe the initial reaction was the front door wasn't locked properly, they checked on her, she was fine, and then they noticed other things that were weird--the lightbulbs missing, the pillow and blanket on the couch, maybe some evidence of drinking or that another person(s) had been in the apartment and went to talk to Laureen and realized it was not Laureen after all. Or maybe the friend woke up to pee or get a drink, etc. ?

There has to be some explanation for the gap of time between coming in around 1:15am and reporting Laureen missing at 3:45am.

I rented a 3rd floor apartment once in a different NH town when I was really young and my back stair case was indoors. It was smaller, and I didn't typically use it, but it was a normal staircase. Think of an old Victorian style house, made into apartments. It went down to each level, and there was a door that locked at the bottom. There was also an attached barn type of building, but I didn't have access.

This was a slightly smaller town than Manchester, so it is hard to know what the back staircase in the building Laureen lived in was like. I have heard the building described as a "triple decker", and that kind of apartment building could have had both a second interior stairwell, and a fire escape.
This is the house ... the back of the house appears maybe at one time the back stairs were on the outside... Looks like there were porches back there maybe closed in at some time but I don't know for sure...

upload_2020-12-19_7-12-58.png

Well....After rereading some of the possible sightings of Laureen, perhaps she was the prostitute in Alaska, and ended up in the Northwest? I wonder how this would ever match though, with the unidentified not having DNA, etc?

Interesting.

Is Laureen's mom still alive?

Edited: I agree with you that the Unidentified woman resembles Laureen's mom quite a bit through her eyes.View attachment 275146 View attachment 275147 image of Laureen's mom via newspaper clipping of disappearance, cropped 40 years after disappearance, family holds out hope for Laureen: ‘In my heart I want to believe she’s alive…’
I thought that was the aunt in the picture .... I do believe Laureen's mom is still alive ...different last name Judith Chani

upload_2020-12-19_7-29-13.png

upload_2020-12-19_7-23-14.pngsept 9th 1993 Sun Sentinel

Last edited:
I really want Laureen to be found alive, but IMO she is deceased a long time ago, not long after she went missing. But most of all if this happens, I hope something is found to help to identify her killer.

Why is her mother so persistent in spreading weird story's in the media? Yes, I can see a mother doing everything in her power to keep her missing daughters case alive....but sorry.....the phone calls, Dr Z, now Israel (a big trafficking hub btw)

Or is my imagination just not up to this?

I really want Laureen to be found alive, but IMO she is deceased a long time ago, not long after she went missing. But most of all if this happens, I hope something is found to help to identify her killer.

Why is her mother so persistent in spreading weird story's in the media? Yes, I can see a mother doing everything in her power to keep her missing daughters case alive....but sorry.....the phone calls, Dr Z, now Israel (a big trafficking hub btw)

Or is my imagination just not up to this?

Is there evidence these stories are not true?

This is the house ... the back of the house appears maybe at one time the back stairs were on the outside... Looks like there were porches back there maybe closed in at some time but I don't know for sure...

View attachment 276165

This is pretty much what I pictured. Thank you for finding the other view of the building.

Has anyone ever heard of accounts from other tenants? I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that other people lived in this building at the time? The boy who was their drinking left and went out a back door, and I think I read he went down stairs (?) Laureen's mom went upstairs....So to the second or third floor?

I'm curious if anyone else living there would have noticed the dark hallways, seen or heard anything, provided any statements, etc. Living in New England and being somewhat familiar with these types of apartment buildings from my college days,I know you usually hear the neighbors.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back