NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The passenger airbag would not deploy then. I had that same model and was in a head on collision years ago and only the driver and side airbags above the door deployed. Unless the items she brought with her weighed enough to trigger the sensors.

The passenger airbag would not deploy then. I had that same model and was in a head on collision years ago and only the driver and side airbags above the door deployed. Unless the items she brought with her weighed enough to trigger the sensors.

I'm not sure it ever did deploy. The only person to actually go up and talk to Maura in person never said there was anybody in the passenger seat. Many of the things that people consider to be fact with this case are just rumors that have been built up over the years.

In the pictures of the car the passenger side airbag was definitely deployed. Unless it was deployed after the accident. I dont know how to post a picture of it or I would. It could just be that her bookbag and booze was in the seat and had enough weight to trigger the sensor though.

To add to the previous post- the officer notes the car is facing westbound, with a cracked windshield and TWO deployed airbags. I guess my question is do passenger airbags deploy without a person in the seat? The damaged box of wine being found on the seat I find interesting as well because that leads me to believe it was placed there by someone- most likely her- after the accident, but has forensics ever been conducted?

New to this thread but just watched the Oxygen doc... the only comment I have is why do more theories not include a passenger? It was reported a man was seen smoking a cig in the car after the accident and I potentially could be wrong but passenger airbags do not deploy without enough weight in that seat.

Has there ever been anything about if ash or anything was found in the car?

The passenger theories have their roots in the fact that when talking to 911 the lady (can't remember her name) thought she saw a light in the passenger side of the car. Unfortunately that is the only evidence there is for their being two people in the car. A lot of people have assumed it was Maura's cell phone that was making that light.

It was Faith Westman that mentioned that there was man in the car smoking a cigarette. But she hasn't spoken about it since and nobody else has ever mentioned a second person being in that car or with Maura (Butch being the first person to see her at the crash site).

I would think the items she bought may weigh enough to make the airbags deploy. My car beeps at me if I have one of my little dogs in the passenger seat without the seat belt being secured. Neither dog weighs much but is enough to tell my car that there is something on the seat. I don't put much, or any, weight into there being a second person in the car at the time of the accident. If there was, I would expect others to mention this. Mr Atwood being the main one.

Has there ever been anything about if ash or anything was found in the car?

I can't be sure, but I don't think there was. I think Faith Westman's account was the only one who supported the smoking stranger theory.

I can't be sure, but I don't think there was. I think Faith Westman's account was the only one who supported the smoking stranger theory.
That's what I thought. Would be interesting to see if that was something they looked at to rule out her account

From the MMM site. This isn't one of their theory videos so it's probably worth a listen. They are interviewing Maura's half brother. He gives a lot of insight into the family. He does say that the entire family was familiar with the route Maura took so it wasn't surprising to them that she would have been on that road. He said there were some places in the area that the family was familiar with so he says that it is a strong possibility that Maura was going off to one of those places to just get away from things for awhile.

I believe he is bypassing Haverhill PD since he believes they were somehow involved in Maura’s disappearance.

Essentially 15 years later with no leads on Maura’s whereabouts, so I can’t say I blame him.

I tried to find any other verification on this but see nothing.
Also have not seen anything on the news and I am somewhat local.

I believe he is bypassing Haverhill PD since he believes they were somehow involved in Maura’s disappearance.

Essentially 15 years later with no leads on Maura’s whereabouts, so I can’t say I blame him.

All that really shows me is that he is more interested in his conspiracy theories than he is in actually finding Maura.

I tried to find any other verification on this but see nothing.
Also have not seen anything on the news and I am somewhat local.

Yeah I think the only place it is located at is John Smith's twitter. Let's wait until more credible sources come out than a personal twitter. And by the way what he said was basically the same exact thing that the Maura Murray guys said they found at the location they are digging. Which basically doesn't amount to anything more than a couple cadaver dogs getting interested in a particular location.

Here by the way is what the Missing Maura Murray podcast said about their search with cadaver dogs. It isn't a whole lot different than what Smith is claiming now.

This is all just turning out to be a big fight between two different groups of amateur investigators. Maggie Freleng tweeted that 'this is just a desperate attempt to be relevant and using the family as collateral damage'. She said that she is skeptical anything is going to come of this after talking to law enforcement. I don't think posting tweets or vlogs is allowed here so that is why I am just describing the tweet instead of posting it.

As I think about this case, the question I often ask myself is; was Maura intending on going to a place she was familiar with. Jigger Johnson campground was one place in particular she frequented but what about Tuckerman Ravine? The alcohol purchases could have been her way of relieving the pain. She finds a place to drink and to be alone. Whether she made it to her destination or not, is up to only theories but abound by chance, could somewhere within her sight have been close to her heart?

I have been following the John Smith twitter just a bit to see if any updates or new news came of the situation he says he found a few weeks ago now. Not surprisingly very little else's been said other than all his conspiracy theories against law enforcement. Quite honestly the guy is an absolute kook. If his real life persona is anything close to the way he acts online I can see why the other amateur investigators chose to distance themselves from him. The internet is full of radical persona's and that often is just them acting that way in order to gain a following. But in John Smith's case I think he truly is that radical. To summarize this I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of John Smith's mouth from now on.

This one ain't rocket science.Forget why she was there or where she was going.
Drunk driver falls asleep at the wheel and crashes. Leaves the scene to avoid the cops. Falls asleep again in the woods and dies of exposure. Remains will be found within a mile of the crash site on the same side of the road that the car was found.
Everything I've read said there were no footprints in the snow that would support this scenario. But psychologically it makes sense, even if the crash was not caused by her falling asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get