NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renner probably did post/say some things that he shouldn't have however I do find him to be one of the more reasonable 'theorists' of this case. I do fiy nd it a whole lot more likely that someone close to Maura was involved with the disappearance than I do the conspiracy theorists who say the police were involved or all the serial killer A, B, C, or D theories. We all know that more times than not when someone disappears that someone close to them was either involved or was the person that actually caused the whole thing to take place. And to be honest the Murray family didn't exactly seem to be a 'church goin' group at the time the disappearance happened. Alcohol/drug abuse seemed to run in the family and all the kids seemed to be involved in bad relationships at that time. I'm really surprised that more focus hasn't been put on Maura's bf.

All interesting stuff and I enjoy reading all the posts. I do not want to take over the thread as such and cannot say for certain what happened to Maura but I am pretty certain who the Connecticut River Valley Killer was and I believe it was man called Ralph Leon Jackson. To me he was an extremely prolific Serial Killer unfortunately like no other and that is why he has still as of today not been identified or named in his crimes. In fact rather than named at the moment in my opinion he has even been cleared in many of the crimes he committed. He was arrested in 2010 hence in my opinion this greatly extends the timeframe of the Connecticut River Valley Killings and Maura's case in 2004 therefore fits into the period in which he was still active.

All interesting stuff and I enjoy reading all the posts. I do not want to take over the thread as such and cannot say for certain what happened to Maura but I am pretty certain who the Connecticut River Valley Killer was and I believe it was man called Ralph Leon Jackson. To me he was an extremely prolific Serial Killer unfortunately like no other and that is why he has still as of today not been identified or named in his crimes. In fact rather than named at the moment in my opinion he has even been cleared in many of the crimes he committed. He was arrested in 2010 hence in my opinion this greatly extends the timeframe of the Connecticut River Valley Killings and Maura's case in 2004 therefore fits into the period in which he was still active.

Of course me saying a very dangerous Serial Killer may be responsible in Maura's case is not nice for her family but from what I have seen I think Fred Murray and her family are realists. Still not nice though.

Renner probably did post/say some things that he shouldn't have however I do find him to be one of the more reasonable 'theorists' of this case. I do find it a whole lot more likely that someone close to Maura was involved with the disappearance than I do the conspiracy theorists who say the police were involved or all the serial killer A, B, C, or D theories. We all know that more times than not when someone disappears that someone close to them was either involved or was the person that actually caused the whole thing to take place. And to be honest the Murray family didn't exactly seem to be a 'church goin' group at the time the disappearance happened. Alcohol/drug abuse seemed to run in the family and all the kids seemed to be involved in bad relationships at that time. I'm really surprised that more focus hasn't been put on Maura's bf.
Yes. It's possible someone close to Maura was involved in her disappearance, however it's just as likely that someone passing by picked her up. The driver may have been been concerned and wanted to understand why she was walking alone in the dark. Maura's intention would have been to give a convincing reason to leave the scene and find a way out. We know that there is no cellphone service in the area, until you head past beaver pond heading eastbound. We know that her cell phone was not active after 4:37 p.m. So, it's likely she either succumbed to an tragic fate by the hand of a cold-blooded murderer. Her father was convinced that Maura was a fighter and would have fought to the end. Maura either let her guard down and was taken by surprise in a tragic way or escaped with no signs of her. We don't know. The police from the very beginning believed it was suicide but from what I have read from testimonies by her family members, she wouldn't do that. Of all people, it was her brother Kurt who convinced me she didn't kill herself. The White Mountains were her favorite place to visit and her favorite place in the whole world, according to Bill Raush. Maura went to the White Mountains for a reason and part of it has to do with how familiar she was with the area. That's a well established fact. Though, anything afterwards is pure speculation. I don't believe in a police cover-up/conspiracy. Someone knows something and I believe we will have a breakthrough in this case.

Bill Rausch has been reluctant to talk to anyone and for good reasons. In my opinion, he's not the guilty one, since he wasn't even in New Hampshire at the time of her disappearance, but I believe he knows some crucial information about Maura that would help provide a better understanding for her trip. He would talk to Erinn Larkin and I think it's going to happen soon.

Bill Rausch has been reluctant to talk to anyone and for good reasons. In my opinion, he's not the guilty one, since he wasn't even in New Hampshire at the time of her disappearance, but I believe he knows some crucial information about Maura that would help provide a better understanding for her trip. He would talk to Erinn Larkin and I think it's going to happen soon.

He may know how involved in drugs Maura and him were at the time it happened. And if he would be afraid for his own safety if he said anything about it he would have every reason to be quiet about it. Would be a reason for many of Maura's other friends to be quiet about the situation as well.

He may know how involved in drugs Maura and him were at the time it happened. And if he would be afraid for his own safety if he said anything about it he would have every reason to be quiet about it. Would be a reason for many of Maura's other friends to be quiet about the situation as well.
How do you come to the conclusion that Maura and Bill were into drugs and her friends are complicit in some way?

How do you come to the conclusion that Maura and Bill were into drugs and her friends are complicit in some way?

Easy. College kids who have drinking issues at times get involved in drugs as well. Did you ever live on a college campus or have friends that lived on a campus or campus housing? It actually isn't that uncommon.

If you watch the local news about the house that was searched the newscaster said the house is a stones throw from where Maura wrecked. Even Fred made mention how close it was and that he has been trying for 15 years to get that house searched. Logically one would think that if you could find out who owned the house back then you might just know who buried Maura assuming Fred is right of course. One odd thing is that it’s not a place that is easily looked up and I find this almost too much of a coincidence since all of the other homes are fairly easy to find info on. I also think it more than just a coincidence that Maura might have ended up in a home that she happened to wreck so close to. I have to wonder if maybe Maura made it to her destination after all. Maybe it’s why one moment she was there and the next seemed to disappear. She knew exactly where she was going. She took her backpack and apparently her liquor. Why would she bother to take alcohol if she was going to be on the run? I think Maura went past her turn off and realized it and tried to stop too quickly and spun out hitting the snowbank. What if Maura was to meet someone at this house? What if she got there and because she hit her head on the windshield and was drinking on top of that and she passed out later that night and died? I personally know someone who hit his head while drinking then got into a car and died. His friends thought he passed out from drinking. Maybe Maura wasn’t murdered but the person she was with panicked? Apparently this house was not used by the owners much so maybe this person was a friend of the owners and asked to use the house? I’m also willing to consider this wasn’t the first time Maura had been to this place or area to meet someone. Remember too that Maura used calling cards so if she did call someone she could have used a phone booth or even her own phone. If she used her own phone she would most likely had to dial an 800 number or another designated number to make a call so who ever she called would not show up on her bill. Bill’s mom paid for Maura’s phone and she also said she gave Maura calling cards as I believe a Christmas gift. There has been talk of a guy that has been accused of having something to do with Maura’s disappearance but hardly spoke of. I know that this guy was a skier and would go to Loon Mountain. I really feel for Fred and the family. They deserve closure and if Maura was murdered she deserves justice and if it was an accident then this was just a tragedy of circumstances. Either way a young girl is most likely no longer with us.

Easy. College kids who have drinking issues at times get involved in drugs as well. Did you ever live on a college campus or have friends that lived on a campus or campus housing? It actually isn't that uncommon.
First - How do know Maura had a drinking issue? Unless you're basing that off of two prior incidents she had involving alcohol, I wouldn't define that as someone with drinking issues. She would have had to have needed alcohol regularly in order to function to be labeled as such. Her sister Kathleen had issues and referenced that on the Oxygen show but we can't prove that Maura was the same way. I would go as far as to say she was a social drinker but not an alcoholic.

Secondly - This is a generalized statement to make "college kids who have drinking issues at times get involved in drugs as well." What is this based on, specifically? I have lived on a college campus. However, I can only speak on my personal experience since I was never involved in that kind of scene. It wouldn't surprise me if this kind of activity occurred but we can't definitively prove it, especially in the case for Maura and Bill. Just from my perspective, I can see them being social drinkers but not those who were into the drug scene. Also, Bill was at Fort Sill in Oklahoma at the time. On a military base, I can imagine that alcohol and drugs would have been considered contraband resulting in severe disciplinary action if caught in possession. Maura on the other hand, who knows? It's possible but very unlikely.

First - How do know Maura had a drinking issue? Unless you're basing that off of two prior incidents she had involving alcohol, I wouldn't define that as someone with drinking issues. She would have had to have needed alcohol regularly in order to function to be labeled as such. Her sister Kathleen had issues and referenced that on the Oxygen show but we can't prove that Maura was the same way. I would go as far as to say she was a social drinker but not an alcoholic.

Secondly - This is a generalized statement to make "college kids who have drinking issues at times get involved in drugs as well." What is this based on, specifically? I have lived on a college campus. However, I can only speak on my personal experience since I was never involved in that kind of scene. It wouldn't surprise me if this kind of activity occurred but we can't definitively prove it, especially in the case for Maura and Bill. Just from my perspective, I can see them being social drinkers but not those who were into the drug scene. Also, Bill was at Fort Sill in Oklahoma at the time. On a military base, I can imagine that alcohol and drugs would have been considered contraband resulting in severe disciplinary action if caught in possession. Maura on the other hand, who knows? It's possible but very unlikely.

Sorry but anybody who regularly drinks and drives has drinking issues. We can make a pretty safe bet that both accidents Maura had were caused largely by alcohol consumption. Maura wrecked her car just a week prior and yet she still chose to purchase alcohol for her to have on her for a trip she was taking. And yes the alcohol was opened when they found it so she didn't wait until she arrived at her location to consume it. She was drinking and driving. Drinking and driving just a week after having an accident that was probably caused by drinking and driving as well. That is not a social drinker. People that drink by themselves while driving are not social drinkers. They are people that feel they need alcohol. Social drinkers are just those that drink while they are in a social situation and make sure it is a safe location to be drinking. If you aren't going to look at that and say that Maura was someone who had drinking issues and instead say that she was just a 'social drinker' than I don't know what to tell you.

And yes the statement about drug use is only based on the fact that I know Maura (and likely the people she hung out with) had drinking issues. But drug use is alive and well amongst college communities and it is generally the big partiers that get involved with it. They at times will keep small time drugs like pot stashed with them in their rooms and have off campus 'friends' that they can get heavier drugs from if they do heavier drugs than pot. There is a reason why they do so much screening of college athletes for drug use because it is definitely a thing on college campuses.

So no the drug statement isn't based on any good evidence like we can say about the alcohol issues. But it is a very common thing and people who were the real heavy drinkers were often the ones that got involved in it. And before you go on about how I shouldn't be saying stuff with little evidence to back it up well that is basically what everyone posting in this thread is doing. Everyone is just throwing ideas around about what could have possibly happened and what may have been a likely situation too happen.

Sorry but anybody who regularly drinks and drives has drinking issues. We can make a pretty safe bet that both accidents Maura had were caused largely by alcohol consumption. Maura wrecked her car just a week prior and yet she still chose to purchase alcohol for her to have on her for a trip she was taking. And yes the alcohol was opened when they found it so she didn't wait until she arrived at her location to consume it. She was drinking and driving. Drinking and driving just a week after having an accident that was probably caused by drinking and driving as well. That is not a social drinker. People that drink by themselves while driving are not social drinkers. They are people that feel they need alcohol. Social drinkers are just those that drink while they are in a social situation and make sure it is a safe location to be drinking. If you aren't going to look at that and say that Maura was someone who had drinking issues and instead say that she was just a 'social drinker' than I don't know what to tell you.

And yes the statement about drug use is only based on the fact that I know Maura (and likely the people she hung out with) had drinking issues. But drug use is alive and well amongst college communities and it is generally the big partiers that get involved with it. They at times will keep small time drugs like pot stashed with them in their rooms and have off campus 'friends' that they can get heavier drugs from if they do heavier drugs than pot. There is a reason why they do so much screening of college athletes for drug use because it is definitely a thing on college campuses.

So no the drug statement isn't based on any good evidence like we can say about the alcohol issues. But it is a very common thing and people who were the real heavy drinkers were often the ones that got involved in it. And before you go on about how I shouldn't be saying stuff with little evidence to back it up well that is basically what everyone posting in this thread is doing. Everyone is just throwing ideas around about what could have possibly happened and what may have been a likely situation too happen.

This is right on. I agree almost 100% with this, except in my experience the people in college who did hard drugs were about evenly split between those I'd consider "big partiers" and those who weren't.

For what it's worth, I was in undergrad at the same time as Maura (not at the same school), and I definitely fell into the category of "big partiers".

The point I would want to make is Maura was a young woman and no one is perfect and we have all made mistakes. I believe Maura was unfortunately murdered and my suspect is the Connecticut River Valley Killer. Her life was hence stopped in it tracks. Like all innocent murder victims forever the age at which the offender robbed her of her life and that is much younger than most of us on here. Once she was robbed of her life this life is in a goldfish bowl and every mistake is analised time and time again in the Maura Murray mystery. This is the same with all murder victims and under this scrunity I think you could put a negative spin on all of us even though we are basically good people. This is what Maura was a nice young woman from a family that cared about each other with a few problems early in her life she did not have a chance to put right.

The point I would want to make is Maura was a young woman and no one is perfect and we have all made mistakes. I believe Maura was unfortunately murdered and my suspect is the Connecticut River Valley Killer. Her life was hence stopped in it tracks. Like all innocent murder victims forever the age at which the offender robbed her of her life and that is much younger than most of us on here. Once she was robbed of her life this life is in a goldfish bowl and every mistake is analised time and time again in the Maura Murray mystery. This is the same with all murder victims and under this scrunity I think you could put a negative spin on all of us even though we are basically good people. This is what Maura was a nice young woman from a family that cared about each other with a few problems early in her life she did not have a chance to put right.

Of course Maura was a young adult and the adult world is full of flaws whereas a child mudered like in the Jennifer Short case I posted on earlier was robbed of her life before she had the chance to enter this world so had complete innocent. This is why I think there is such outrage in society about child murders. What I will say though is adults control society and they can do good working in hospitals etc etc and solving crime cases while not being perfect.

Not going to comment on the CRVK killer but in regards to talking about Maura's character I'm not in anyway saying she was a bad person. She in a lot of ways wasn't any different than a lot of other late teens or early twenty somethings that are out there. Infact I think if this happened to her sister and Maura was the one trying to look for Julie we would probably be saying the same thing about Julie and Maura would probably have grown up to resemble what Julie is like now.

This is right on. I agree almost 100% with this, except in my experience the people in college who did hard drugs were about evenly split between those I'd consider "big partiers" and those who weren't.

For what it's worth, I was in undergrad at the same time as Maura (not at the same school), and I definitely fell into the category of "big partiers".

I fell into that category as well. Big difference though is my crowd generally made sure we had designated drivers prior to going out drinking.

Not going to comment on the CRVK killer but in regards to talking about Maura's character I'm not in anyway saying she was a bad person. She in a lot of ways wasn't any different than a lot of other late teens or early twenty somethings that are out there. Infact I think if this happened to her sister and Maura was the one trying to look for Julie we would probably be saying the same thing about Julie and Maura would probably have grown up to resemble what Julie is like now.

I agree with you here and what you were doing was really stating the facts at the time and if something serious had happened she would have had to take responsibility. That is what I was saying she was stopped in her tracks and was unable to learn from any mistakes. She was also robbed of any chance to serve and help others in nursing for instance. All I was saying is even the best of us make mistakes and have a hard time particularly when young.

I fell into that category as well. Big difference though is my crowd generally made sure we had designated drivers prior to going out drinking.

Yeah drunk driving was never much of an issue in my group either, although a lot of that was because most of us didn't have cars haha

It also helped that the school I went to was very big and very urban, so for the most part there wasn't much reason to drink anywhere outside of walking distance.

You should probably clarify that this is of your opinion.

Regularity drinks and drives? According to the first accident report on February 8th 2004, the responding officer wrote down that the cause of the crash was due to operator inattention. She was never cited for a DUI. The party she attended involved alcohol and drinking. That would be fair to categorize it as social drinking. You even state: Social drinkers are just those that drink while they are in a social situation and make sure it is a safe location to be drinking. The girl hosting the party, Sara, stated that they were doing some heavy drinking but she claimed to have been blacked out. Her memory of the party was a blur. Maura could have allowed for enough time to pass for her to drive home. Granted, it was late and snowing. She may have been tired and started to lose focus. We do not know except for what the information tells us. I'm just rather perplexed on how you define that as someone with drinking issues?

The drug issues seems possible but again, unless you can point me in a direction that claims she or her friends were involved in using drugs, it's simply your opinion. We all make statements based on what we believe and for full disclosure, you need to clarify that so you don't confuse readers that what you're stating is fact. It's not.

The second accident - She purchased $38.31 worth of alcohol before departing from UMass. So how do we come to the conclusion that she was actually drinking? In the second police report, Cecil Smith stated that he saw a box of Franzia wine in the back seat. However it wasn't mentioned in the report that it was opened. The open container might have been the Cherry Coke bottle, which according to Cecil Smith, it was found underneath the car with red liquid that smelled like alcohol. Sharon Rausch mentioned Maura enjoyed drinking with a piece of red licorice. Could he have smelled that instead? If it was wine, it was never disclosed to the public. For all we know, when the cops were searching the car, they could have accidentally spilled it. The crash couldn't have caused the wine to spill since it comes out of a spout and requires someone to physically push or twist the spigot to allow the wine to pour out. Here's a video of people trying to break a wine bag with no success. (VOLUME WARNING: DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES) Erinn Larkin mentioned on episode two of her podcast, that she attempted to spill a box of wine in a car but with no success. Also, she proposed that maybe the red liquid in the soda bottle could have been coolant? In the possessed property report, Maura had alumaseal and power steering fluid. Why would she have these? Her car was in bad shape. Aside from the rag in the tailpipe suggestion, Fred may have taught her routine maintenance. It would make sense given the car troubles she was having but only Fred would know that answer. Then the stains on the headliner might have been anti-freeze or some other liquid that came from the engine as a result of the crash. Butch Atwood stated that seemed like she had been drinking but was never intoxicated. Since he was speaking from a distance, he wouldn't have been able to make that determination. He woudln't have seen dilated pupils or smell the scent of alcohol from her breath. The cause of the accident may have been for a multitude of reasons. It was dark and the road is poorly lit. She overestimated the turn, became distracted, and spun out as a result of it. what if she was feeling fatigue? The reason vary. It's possible she could have been drinking, though, you can make a case for why she wasn't. In my opinion, I don't think she wad drunk. Granted, if she was drinking, when did she start? Was it as she was driving up to New Hampshire or was it an hour before the crash? Highly unlikely she was drinking and driving all the way up to the crash site from UMass and if she did start an hour before, then she stopped somewhere. Though, why travel all the way to New Hampshire to drink when you can stop at a pub in town? It doesn't add up.

Last edited:
You should probably clarify that this is of your opinion.

Regularity drinks and drives? According to the first accident report on February 8th 2004, the responding officer wrote down that the cause of the crash was due to operator inattention. She was never cited for a DUI. The party she attended involved alcohol and drinking. That would be fair to categorize it as social drinking. You even state: Social drinkers are just those that drink while they are in a social situation and make sure it is a safe location to be drinking. The girl hosting the party, Sara, stated that they were doing some heavy drinking but she claimed to have been blacked out. Her memory of the party was a blur. Maura could have allowed for enough time to pass for her to drive home. Granted, it was late and snowing. She may have been tired and started to lose focus. We do not know except for what the information tells us. I'm just rather perplexed on how you define that as someone with drinking issues?

The drug issues seems possible but again, unless you can point me in a direction that claims she or her friends were involved in using drugs, it's simply your opinion. We all make statements based on what we believe and for full disclosure, you need to clarify that so you don't confuse readers that what you're stating is fact. It's not.

The second accident - She purchased $38.31 worth of alcohol before departing from UMass. So how do we come to the conclusion that she was actually drinking? In the second police report, Cecil Smith stated that he saw a box of Franzia wine in the back seat. However it wasn't mentioned in the report that it was opened. The open container might have been the Cherry Coke bottle, which according to Cecil Smith, it was found underneath the car with red liquid that smelled like alcohol. Sharon Rausch mentioned Maura enjoyed drinking with a piece of red licorice. Could he have smelled that instead? If it was wine, it was never disclosed to the public. For all we know, when the cops were searching the car, they could have accidentally spilled it. The crash couldn't have caused the wine to spill since it comes out of a spout and requires someone to physically push or twist the spigot to allow the wine to pour out. Here's a video of people trying to break a wine bag with no success. (VOLUME WARNING: DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES) Erinn Larkin mentioned on episode two of her podcast, that she attempted to spill a box of wine in a car but with no success. Also, she proposed that maybe the red liquid in the soda bottle could have been coolant? In the possessed property report, Maura had alumaseal and power steering fluid. Why would she have these? Her car was in bad shape. Aside from the rag in the tailpipe suggestion, Fred may have taught her routine maintenance. It would make sense given the car troubles she was having but only Fred would know that answer. Then the stains on the headliner might have been anti-freeze or some other liquid that came from the engine as a result of the crash. Butch Atwood stated that seemed like she had been drinking but was never intoxicated. Since he was speaking from a distance, he wouldn't have been able to make that determination. He woudln't have seen dilated pupils or smell the scent of alcohol from her breath. The cause of the accident may have been for a multitude of reasons. It was dark and the road is poorly lit. She overestimated the turn, became distracted, and spun out as a result of it. what if she was feeling fatigue? The reason vary. It's possible she could have been drinking, though, you can make a case for why she wasn't. In my opinion, I don't think she wad drunk. Granted, if she was drinking, when did she start? Was it as she was driving up to New Hampshire or was it an hour before the crash? Highly unlikely she was drinking and driving all the way up to the crash site from UMass and if she did start an hour before, then she stopped somewhere. Though, why travel all the way to New Hampshire to drink when you can stop at a pub in town? It doesn't add up.

You can keep on coming up with excuses for her if you want to. But I am going to continue to go with what was most likely. THat she was drinking and driving and was irresponsible with alcohol when she was 21 years old. And again no she was not simply a social drinker.

What I don't understand is why no one will let anyone search the basement of that house in question? If I lived in that house I would be more than fine with LE coming in to conduct a search...but then again I wouldn't have anything to hide. Hasn't the house been sold and changed owners over the years? I don't see why the current owner won't let LE conduct a search. If it was my loved one missing I would have already made my way into that house by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen