NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know MM was bringing her books with her? Maybe they were just in the car when she left?
We cannot know for certainty if she left them in there by mistake or if she did take them with her. That's the unfortunate part. Though, given the circumstances surrounding her trip and that she was going to be gone for a week, perhaps she had homework to catch up on or assignments yet to be completed?

We cannot know for certainty if she left them in there by mistake or if she did take them with her. That's the unfortunate part. Though, given the circumstances surrounding her trip and that she was going to be gone for a week, perhaps she had homework to catch up on or assignments yet to be completed?

If you are going to make assumptions as well I think you should stop trying to refute the things that other people say that you don't like just because they can't be a 100% sure their claims are correct.

Last edited:
If you are going to make assumptions as well I think you should stop trying to refute the things that other people say that you don't like just because they can't be a 100% sure their claims are correct.
I'm asking questions and trying to provide different thoughts. That's how you generate discussion. If it appears biased to you, that's not my intention. The information we know is what gives us the ability to formulate our theories and ideas. Of course, everyone will have different interpretations of events unfolded. However, it's up to themselves to decide what they believe and how to convey that message. A discourse of ideas can spawn into something greater and I, personally, do not think it should be discouraged.

I'm asking questions and trying to provide different thoughts. That's how you generate discussion. If it appears biased to you, that's not my intention. The information we know is what gives us the ability to formulate our theories and ideas. Of course, everyone will have different interpretations of events unfolded. However, it's up to themselves to decide what they believe and how to convey that message. A discourse of ideas can spawn into something greater and I, personally, do not think it should be discouraged.

No what I am saying is that when we talked in the past you got a little upset with how a handful of us discussed Maura's potential of not handling alcohol very well and how that may have had something to do with the disappearance. You tried to discount what we said merely by saying we couldn't be a 100% certain on those claims and that we were just full of assumptions. Well you are pretty much doing the same thing so if you are going to make assumptions as well you then shouldn't say other people are wrong and then defend your point only by saying they are just speculating.

No what I am saying is that when we talked in the past you got a little upset with how a handful of us discussed Maura's potential of not handling alcohol very well and how that may have had something to do with the disappearance. You tried to discount what we said merely by saying we couldn't be a 100% certain on those claims and that we were just full of assumptions. Well you are pretty much doing the same thing so if you are going to make assumptions as well you then shouldn't say other people are wrong and then defend your point only by saying they are just speculating.
If I recall correctly, you claimed Maura was a drunk and a drug user along with Bill Rausch. You weren't able to provide a source to substantiate that claim. It creates a false narrative that leads people to draw conclusions without knowing all the information. In a case as convoluted as this one, information is misconstrued and taken verbatim without analyzing every angle. If the claim was stated as, It's reasonable to suggest Maura may have had a drinking issue based on the following details, then it wouldn't have been an issue. You simply cannot assert your opinion as fact unless you're able to back it up. People are bound to ask questions and that shouldn't deter anyone from wanting to explain their theories in detail. If you signed yourself up to take the podium, the spotlight is now on you and if anyone wants to ask questions or raise concerns, that's okay. As long as you differentiate your theories verse the facts, it will keep the conversation flowing. People are passionate about this case and we should remind ourselves that the goal is to find Maura - not create sides. Maura stands no chance if we allow that to happen.

If I recall correctly, you claimed Maura was a drunk and a drug user along with Bill Rausch. You weren't able to provide a source to substantiate that claim. It creates a false narrative that leads people to draw conclusions without knowing all the information. In a case as convoluted as this one, information is misconstrued and taken verbatim without analyzing every angle. If the claim was stated as, It's reasonable to suggest Maura may have had a drinking issue based on the following details, then it wouldn't have been an issue. You simply cannot assert your opinion as fact unless you're able to back it up. People are bound to ask questions and that shouldn't deter anyone from wanting to explain their theories in detail. If you signed yourself up to take the podium, the spotlight is now on you and if anyone wants to ask questions or raise concerns, that's okay. As long as you differentiate your theories verse the facts, it will keep the conversation flowing. People are passionate about this case and we should remind ourselves that the goal is to find Maura - not create sides. Maura stands no chance if we allow that to happen.

Just like you now aren't providing sources to back up your claims. If you are going to be making a lot of unsourced speculations don't get upset when other people do the same.

Now let's move on with this and if we have anything more to say to eachother let's just do it through instant messaging.

I'm having difficulty understanding your point.

I haven't alleged anything to be a fact. I've stated my opinion, which was based on what is generally known. If I had made the claim (e.g. Maura was secretly meeting with someone and planned on driving to Canada) - then I'd have to provide context. We're going to have to agree to disagree, Sony. I can't put it any simpler than that.

Telling people she had to go away could suggest she planned to keep up with her coursework. Some people practically live out of their cars. If that was her dad's car she might not have been using it as a storage space like some of us treat our own cars. Maybe she needed time to think or get away. She seemed to have planned on returning or at least been prepared to return.
A death in the family excuse is common because it doesn't require extra info, but if gives enough that you should be able to get off work or out of classes.

Telling people she had to go away could suggest she planned to keep up with her coursework. Some people practically live out of their cars. If that was her dad's car she might not have been using it as a storage space like some of us treat our own cars. Maybe she needed time to think or get away. She seemed to have planned on returning or at least been prepared to return.
A death in the family excuse is common because it doesn't require extra info, but if gives enough that you should be able to get off work or out of classes.
If I was going on a trip, the last thing I'd want to bring is homework. Heck, I probably wouldn't even do it if I knew it was due the following week. That's just me. Her friend, Erin, from the Oxygen documentary said the same thing. Did Maura venture out to the White Mountains in hopes of a mental break? Was nursing school overwhelming her or was it a personal issue? What about the phone call to Kathleen on that Thursday night or the obligation to return her father's car? It would only speak volume as to what was going on in her mind those days leading up to her disappearance.

The death in the family excuse was the hardest part to grasp. You hate to deliver the news of a death in the family but since it wasn't true, what was Maura's intention with that excuse? To stop the flow of inquiry but those who would be concerned and offer their condolences would want to ensure everything was okay with the person? It's quite the mystery and I can't wrap my mind around it.

If I was going on a trip, the last thing I'd want to bring is homework. Heck, I probably wouldn't even do it if I knew it was due the following week. That's just me. Her friend, Erin, from the Oxygen documentary said the same thing. Did Maura venture out to the White Mountains in hopes of a mental break? Was nursing school overwhelming her or was it a personal issue? What about the phone call to Kathleen on that Thursday night or the obligation to return her father's car? It would only speak volume as to what was going on in her mind those days leading up to her disappearance.

The death in the family excuse was the hardest part to grasp. You hate to deliver the news of a death in the family but since it wasn't true, what was Maura's intention with that excuse? To stop the flow of inquiry but those who would be concerned and offer their condolences would want to ensure everything was okay with the person? It's quite the mystery and I can't wrap my mind around it.

If her the nursing program was competitive or keeping her campus job was important she would need some excuse to take a break. She had the forethought to explain her absence ahead of time. Maybe she wasn't sure about staying with nursing or maybe she was stressed she still planned ahead. Bringing books could mean she wanted the option of keeping up with her classes. She didn't just flee. Could something have happened to her, did she need time to make a decision about something? She had a clear time frame of how long she would be gone. Was she meeting someone?

A death in the family could cover any number of relatives. I used to say I was late for high school because my great grandmother or grandfather died. They were dead it just hadn't happened that day. I used that excuse to avoid detention. If she implied missing school and work for a death was more about travel and family obligation ,than the loss of someone she was close to, that would be understandable without causing too much concern. Does that make sense? If a parent, sibling or someone you were close to died you might not notify anyone before you left. You would probably say that when you talked to someone from the school later between making arrangements. If someone asks about a death in the family you can always say a second cousin, great aunt. It could also cover unofficial family members just incase anyone cared to look it up.

If her the nursing program was competitive or keeping her campus job was important she would need some excuse to take a break. She had the forethought to explain her absence ahead of time. Maybe she wasn't sure about staying with nursing or maybe she was stressed she still planned ahead. Bringing books could mean she wanted the option of keeping up with her classes. She didn't just flee. Could something have happened to her, did she need time to make a decision about something? She had a clear time frame of how long she would be gone. Was she meeting someone?

A death in the family could cover any number of relatives. I used to say I was late for high school because my great grandmother or grandfather died. They were dead it just hadn't happened that day. I used that excuse to avoid detention. If she implied missing school and work for a death was more about travel and family obligation ,than the loss of someone she was close to, that would be understandable without causing too much concern. Does that make sense? If a parent, sibling or someone you were close to died you might not notify anyone before you left. You would probably say that when you talked to someone from the school later between making arrangements. If someone asks about a death in the family you can always say a second cousin, great aunt. It could also cover unofficial family members just incase anyone cared to look it up.
Interesting points. You might be on to something.

I tried to look at it from the depths of her excuse in regards to a family tragedy. When a family members dies, most of the time, no one would question it. Since she had told her professors and work supervisor of the information, she may have figured the line of inquiry would stop there. It's on the basis of her excuse would draw sympathy and concern - but it almost seemed as if Maura's intention wasn't to draw any kind of attention. Since she had not disclosed her plans to anyone, my initial reaction to her using a death in the family was a bit shocking. Perhaps at the time, especially if you're young, one would figure that you could easily get away with it.

For the reasons why she left, anything could have been a factor. The nursing program was difficult and perhaps the stress of trying to do well was putting a strain on Maura. She had always been someone who succeeded and surpassed everyone's expectations. Maybe she was having seconds thoughts or perhaps had to regain her sense of control before jumping back into it. I'm under the impression that something was bothering Maura but what that was is still a mystery. From the directions she had printed, one could infer that she had plans on going to Burlington, Vermont but that changed. Whether Maura was lost or she changed her plans at last minute is debatable. It's possible she could have been meeting someone but the only evidence you could suggest that would be the diamond jewelry she brought with her, though that's circumstantial. If she had, the questions you would need to pose would be; 1. Was the person she was meeting with someone known or unknown? 2. Was he/she involved in Maura's disappearance? 3. Why haven't they come forward? While it's possible, it's just as likely she wasn't. There is not enough evidence to suggest it.

Interesting points. You might be on to something.

I tried to look at it from the depths of her excuse in regards to a family tragedy. When a family members dies, most of the time, no one would question it. Since she had told her professors and work supervisor of the information, she may have figured the line of inquiry would stop there. It's on the basis of her excuse would draw sympathy and concern - but it almost seemed as if Maura's intention wasn't to draw any kind of attention. Since she had not disclosed her plans to anyone, my initial reaction to her using a death in the family was a bit shocking. Perhaps at the time, especially if you're young, one would figure that you could easily get away with it.

For the reasons why she left, anything could have been a factor. The nursing program was difficult and perhaps the stress of trying to do well was putting a strain on Maura. She had always been someone who succeeded and surpassed everyone's expectations. Maybe she was having seconds thoughts or perhaps had to regain her sense of control before jumping back into it. I'm under the impression that something was bothering Maura but what that was is still a mystery. From the directions she had printed, one could infer that she had plans on going to Burlington, Vermont but that changed. Whether Maura was lost or she changed her plans at last minute is debatable. It's possible she could have been meeting someone but the only evidence you could suggest that would be the diamond jewelry she brought with her, though that's circumstantial. If she had, the questions you would need to pose would be; 1. Was the person she was meeting with someone known or unknown? 2. Was he/she involved in Maura's disappearance? 3. Why haven't they come forward? While it's possible, it's just as likely she wasn't. There is not enough evidence to suggest it.

Her planning to be absent for a week and letting people know strikes me as being responsible. If you are bailing on school or having a sort of break down you usually don't schedule it. That doesn't mean she whatever she needed that time for was set in stone. When people suggest she had a problem with alcohol you don't usually call out sick before a bender. Her disappearance may not be related to what was going on with her at all but because she planned to be gone and technically lied her actions have come under scrutiny. She might have been thinking "Damn, I can't let my dad know I had another accident". In hindsight that doesn't matter or it seems so insignificant, but in the moment and at that age those things are important.

Her planning to be absent for a week and letting people know strikes me as being responsible. If you are bailing on school or having a sort of break down you usually don't schedule it. That doesn't mean she whatever she needed that time for was set in stone. When people suggest she had a problem with alcohol you don't usually call out sick before a bender. Her disappearance may not be related to what was going on with her at all but because she planned to be gone and technically lied her actions have come under scrutiny. She might have been thinking "Damn, I can't let my dad know I had another accident". In hindsight that doesn't matter or it seems so insignificant, but in the moment and at that age those things are important.
I couldn't agree more.

With two accidents, Maura knew she was going to be in serious trouble. The credit card charge is one along with the two accidents in a 36 hour period. I had always wondered how her insurance would have dealt with that? Could she have had her license temporarily suspended pending further investigation? She knew in the back of her mind that she couldn't have a confrontation with law enforcement. With that, she took off but what happened afterwards can't be answered with certainty.

I couldn't agree more.

With two accidents, Maura knew she was going to be in serious trouble. The credit card charge is one along with the two accidents in a 36 hour period. I had always wondered how her insurance would have dealt with that? Could she have had her license temporarily suspended pending further investigation? She knew in the back of her mind that she couldn't have a confrontation with law enforcement. With that, she took off but what happened afterwards can't be answered with certainty.

When you get into one car accident it can make you nervous to drive. That kind of fear can become a self fulfilling prophecy and make you more accident prone. As long as you aren't drunk or you don't do anything illegal you wouldn't lose your license. You could have very high insurance rates. If your parents were paying for your insurance or car they might decide to cut you off. Once police are called usually the accident is reported. If you can get your car towed you can payout of pocket and there wouldn't be a legal record of your accident. If there was wine spilled in the car and she had just had an accident she probably didn't want to deal with police. Also since it was her dad's car they might call him. Maybe she thought she could handle it before he ever found out.

was Maura pregnant?
did she tell someone?
was she meeting someone when she cracked the car?
did that person come to the site and kill Maura?

to me the kerfluffle , the phone calls, the ensuing break, the secrecy, the drinking,
the leaving school...the trip to soul search, the temporary white lies.

seems as though Maura may have had a disordered personal life in the manner of a personality issue.

this can mean secret boyfriends, relationships, affairs..

was she pregnant? why will no one address the catatonic stunned and disturbed behavior
that she demonstrated after that phone call? they are so weird, keeping secrets for someone who could be dead and needs to be found.

how it reflects on them...

I have been thinking about Maura for years, and I cannot rule out that she was murdered by someone she knew..that she went to the mountains to meet someone.

mOO

was Maura pregnant?
did she tell someone?
was she meeting someone when she cracked the car?
did that person come to the site and kill Maura?

to me the kerfluffle , the phone calls, the ensuing break, the secrecy, the drinking,
the leaving school...the trip to soul search, the temporary white lies.

seems as though Maura may have had a disordered personal life in the manner of a personality issue.

this can mean secret boyfriends, relationships, affairs..

was she pregnant? why will no one address the catatonic stunned and disturbed behavior
that she demonstrated after that phone call? they are so weird, keeping secrets for someone who could be dead and needs to be found.

how it reflects on them...

I have been thinking about Maura for years, and I cannot rule out that she was murdered by someone she knew..that she went to the mountains to meet someone.

mOO

There definitely are a lot of indications that Maura had a bit of a troubled personal life. I don't want to say it was a defined personality issue as a lot of people in their late teens and early twenties are a little messed up just through natural immaturity. Who knows about being pregnant but there probably is a decent chance she had boyfriends other than Rausch (as it is pretty common for people her age to date around in general).

A lot of people seem to be looking for that stranger that abducted her but most people are murdered by someone that they knew. It would actually make a lot of sense if she did infact get to the destination she was driving to and then something happened there that caused her to disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member