NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

So strange. I guess I could see a journal getting mixed up with other books & papers, especially if it was picked up by a sleep-deprived grad student or absent-minded professor with reams of papers and bins of books. Hopefully this isn’t a cruel prank.

So strange. I guess I could see a journal getting mixed up with other books & papers, especially if it was picked up by a sleep-deprived grad student or absent-mind
Why would you even hand it in to police now, if it was just a lost diary....? I would have put it in the trash.

She's surely read it now, so there must be something written in there to have made her go to the police.....otherwise, throw it away as junk.

No-one is going to be missing their journal from university 18 years after they graduated!

Yeah the main thing that I can think of which would want her to turn a diary that old into police would be if there was talk of depression in the journal and perhaps thoughts of taking their life.

Most everyone has crazy dating lives at that age so unless it was some girl talking about a guy threatening her I wouldn't think some 20 year old kid talking about their dating life would be that big of a deal.

Even so, what student doesn't go through a bit of depression at some point. Away from home, new life, different towns, financial struggles, etc. etc. I think that a bit of sadness or depression would be par for the course. It wouldn't make me turn the journal in to police.
I just wonder if there was any criminal element to what was written in there. Or specific names and incidents....?

Did anyone else go missing who was at the UMass campus from the early '00's?

With this supposedly being picked up prior to Maura going missing if there was some criminal element to the diary unless it specifically mentioned Maura by name I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with Maura.

I would find it much more likely that the diary had something to do with Maura if it was found after she disappeared.

this is odd
https://twitter.com/JamesRenner
https://twitter.com/JamesRenner

Short update from Amherst PD regarding call last week from woman who found a journal at UMass from 2003, and believes it may relate to missing persons case.

View attachment 296687

How did James Renner obtain this police document? Did the Amherst PD send it to him? If so, it's probably related to Maura in some way.

This is interesting, I hope it's legit and not another hoax. The fact somebody felt the need to contact the police about it makes me somewhat optimistic.

unless it specifically mentioned Maura by name I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with Maura.

I'd feel silly going to the police with a random 20 year old journal if it was just full of teenage musings and school timetables....

That's why I'm convinced it must have mentioned her, as I can see no other reason to hand it over to the police.

I'd feel silly going to the police with a random 20 year old journal if it was just full of teenage musings and school timetables....

That's why I'm convinced it must have mentioned her, as I can see no ot toher reason to hand it over to the police.

Well if it does have anything to do with people from UMass this would turn this case into the more traditional missing persons situation where someone likely just got involved with a bad crowd.

I have said for awhile that we know what Maura's 'official' bf ended up being like. Even if he personally wasn't involved in the case it wouldn't be far fetched at all if Maura was hanging around other guys just like him. As young people often have a certain 'type' that they date.

For those curious this seems to be how James Renner found out about this. He says it popped up in an Amherst, Massachusetts police blotter.

https://twitter.com/JamesRenner/status/1391384297777549314/photo/1

So it looks like whoever the person is did bring it to police specifically because of Maura. It says she thought the notebook belonged to Maura. If it did belong to Maura there might be some suicidal thoughts in there or perhaps thoughts of just disappearing.

But then again the way this case has gone it will be from Maura and all it will be will be about her talking about what party she is going to go to over the weekend.

Hopefully there was at least something suspicious said in the journal that would cause her to take it to police. Hopefully it just wasn't some girl saying how she was getting in fights with her bf.

For those curious this seems to be how James Renner found out about this. He says it popped up in an Amherst, Massachusetts police blotter.

https://twitter.com/JamesRenner/status/1391384297777549314/photo/1

So it looks like whoever the person is did bring it to police specifically because of Maura. It says she thought the notebook belonged to Maura. If it did belong to Maura there might be some suicidal thoughts in there or perhaps thoughts of just disappearing.

But then again the way this case has gone it will be from Maura and all it will be will be about her talking about what party she is going to go to over the weekend.

It doesn't say anything about Maura, though.

But 18 years is a long time to leave it in a bag or forget about it.....she must be a hoarder.

Might just have a great many books and journals, rather than a true hoarder. At one time, I could have seen myself meaning to read it but in too much of a rush and getting it mixed in with my books and journals and finally finding it and reading it. I agree that it could easily have been a hurried, Sleep-deprived grad student juggling multiple jobs and wearing many hats.

If someone looped in James Renner, there must be a suspicion it relates to Maura in some way. It’s two pieces, really - the journal and the letter.

I do wonder about the year. When I saw the headline about a journal, I immediately thought of the February 5 2004 hit/run (Petrit Vasi). Not sure why. In February of a new year, some people are mentally in the prior year...I was wondering if the journal was actually picked up in early 2004.

But if it was a professor or student, s/he is probably correct about the 2003 date IMO - in academic life, it’s easy to tag a year to a certain course.

Wouldn’t it be something if this turns out to be something written in 2003 - a grand plan to disappearing! I’ve always leaned to her being alive in New England/Canada somewhere.

Might just have a great many books and journals, rather than a true hoarder. At one time, I could have seen myself meaning to read it but in too much of a rush and getting it mixed in with my books and journals and finally finding it and reading it. I agree that it could easily have been a hurried, Sleep-deprived grad student juggling multiple jobs and wearing many hats.

Totally! I’m curious to get up to the attic soon and go through bins from my academic days...I’m sure there’s tons of random stuff in there that doesn’t belong, unopened mail, etc. Happens when you’re surrounded by stacks of books & journals & papers IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back