NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

The New Hampshire League of Investigators came on side the case not sure of the timeline on that, and they did a complete accident reconstruction as well. They concluded that the accident site between the Weathered Barn and Bradley Hill Road on 112, was staged.
The question of cell phone service in Lincoln, I believe so, but not in the vicinity of where the Saturn was found.

Is there a link to where we can read the entire report? Thanks!

So if it was staged and she quickly disappeared from the area that would give credence to the idea that someone was helping her out and probably helped her disappear.

If that is the case she literally could be anywhere in the world and possibly still alive.

Even though you would totally have to live off the grid in order to pull that off in this day and age it is possible. As a 21 year old college student she probably wouldn't have been able to do it herself. But she could have gotten someone who did know how to do it to help her.

Last edited:
So if it was staged and she quickly disappeared from the area that would give credence to the idea that someone was helping her out and probably helped her disappear.

If that is the case she literally could be anywhere in the world and possibly still alive.

Even though you would totally have to live off the grid in order to pull that off in this day and age it is possible. As a 21 year old college student she probably wouldn't have been able to do it herself. But she could have gotten someone who did know how to do it to help her.
Possible, but it seems more likely that she had a stalker, was the random victim of a rapist/serial killer, or human trafficked. I think she was vulnerable, and someone took advantage of her.

you know everyone says it's so hard to go off grid..but you can go off grid and like go right back on..she was young and that's in her favor..she could adopt a new identity..maybe steal someones identity, kinda like credit card theft..right?
I'm just saying it's not that hard really...dye your hair, get a job, keep your nose down. I'm not saying she did this, I'm just saying it's not as hard as everyone makes it sound..it's not like she killed someone and is on the run..does anyone remember hearing something about a hit and run situation at Maura's campus? or was this just a rumor..if so I will remove my question..you totally have a right to walk away from your life as an adult...right? I don't think that many women do this but who knows..maybe they do, for all kinds of reasons..maybe not middle class students like Maura...

I always have a nagging feeling she was lured up there...and that nagging feeling is that this is an Israel Keyes style operation with a staged accident and a body we will never find.....plus snowy landscapes are just so up his alley..I know everyone loses it when it gets brought up ...but why not? we know there are cases we have not solved that he is responsible for. He was quite proud of his accomplishments This was his kind of place too..totally in character for him.

other thoughts are she is lying just beyond the last place they looked next to her bag with her bottles..mOO

you know everyone says it's so hard to go off grid..but you can go off grid and like go right back on..she was young and that's in her favor..she could adopt a new identity..maybe steal someones identity, kinda like credit card theft..right?
I'm just saying it's not that hard really...dye your hair, get a job, keep your nose down. I'm not saying she did this, I'm just saying it's not as hard as everyone makes it sound..it's not like she killed someone and is on the run..does anyone remember hearing something about a hit and run situation at Maura's campus? or was this just a rumor..if so I will remove my question..you totally have a right to walk away from your life as an adult...right? I don't think that many women do this but who knows..maybe they do, for all kinds of reasons..maybe not middle class students like Maura...

Meh, I think it's a lot harder than that. To adopt a new identity, she'd either have to steal someone's and never get caught (hard to never get caught in this day and age on your first try) or make one up. Making one up means faking a new SS number, a new birth certificate, a background story, and likely moving often in case someone recognizes you. That also means if you meet friends or a significant other, you'd have to live a lie about your past and our schooling and our skills, avoid social media, never allow photographs, never talk of old friends, make up a story about your family/parents, basically be an award-winning actress to do all this and never crumble.

Get married, change your name to your spouse's, the odds are no one would ever even question it if you looked and acted ordinarily middle class.

Haverhill is only about 75 miles from the Canadian border. Or head west--I doubt if anybody from, say, Chicago or Seattle has ever heard of her. She probably wouldn't even need to change her name.

I don't think she did anything like that but it is possible.

Get married, change your name to your spouse's, the odds are no one would ever even question it if you looked and acted ordinarily middle class.

Haverhill is only about 75 miles from the Canadian border. Or head west--I doubt if anybody from, say, Chicago or Seattle has ever heard of her. She probably wouldn't even need to change her name.

I don't think she did anything like that but it is possible.

You're forgetting about social security number though. Even if you change your name, your identification remains the same. To my knowledge, no one has used Maura's SS number or other identifiable information since her disappearance. Also, marriage licenses are public record. No record of Maura applying for a license to marry. I think this theory is a stretch. MOO.

You're forgetting about social security number though. Even if you change your name, your identification remains the same. To my knowledge, no one has used Maura's SS number or other identifiable information since her disappearance. Also, marriage licenses are public record. No record of Maura applying for a license to marry. I think this theory is a stretch. MOO.
True, however, there is the woman in Texas (Lori?) who took the name of a deceased child to hide her true identity. She borrowed that identity and then legally changed it to another. It wasn't discovered until after her death.

True, however, there is the woman in Texas (Lori?) who took the name of a deceased child to hide her true identity. She borrowed that identity and then legally changed it to another. It wasn't discovered until after her death.

IIRC, not-Lori Erica Kennedy just invented both names:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?317439-Lori-Ruff-Identified-as-Kimberly-McLean-of-PA

Murray was skilled enough (at least an an athlete) to be selected for West Point. She was apparently successful in the majority of the program there? Not suggesting that the military academy teaches How to Disappear, but that does indicate a high level of ability and determination.

After leaving the Academy, Murray was accepted into the UMass nursing program. This to me also indicates ability and determination.

Could this be applied to hiding in plain sight? Possibly.

jmho ymmv lrr

It's not my theory--I'm strongly of the view that she got lost and succumbed to the elements in a place where she hasn't been found yet. I've been to that part of the state; it's rugged and difficult terrain. But I can see where other scenarios could be plausible, and going away to start over does seem like it could be done.

IIRC, not-Lori Erica Kennedy just invented both names:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?317439-Lori-Ruff-Identified-as-Kimberly-McLean-of-PA

Murray was skilled enough (at least an an athlete) to be selected for West Point. She was apparently successful in the majority of the program there? Not suggesting that the military academy teaches How to Disappear, but that does indicate a high level of ability and determination.

After leaving the Academy, Murray was accepted into the UMass nursing program. This to me also indicates ability and determination.

Could this be applied to hiding in plain sight? Possibly.

jmho ymmv lrr
Yes, I believe that is the one. However, the first name was from a baby that died in infancy and would have been close to her age if she lived. She used it to get identification and then changed her name to one she made up.

I believe she was desperate to get out of that area once she was involved in the accident with alcohol in the vehicle. At first I thought she may have drifted into the woods and succumb to the elements. That is until I read the weather reports for that week and there was fresh snow on the ground, and it didn't snow for a week after that, leaving lots of time to notice tracks in the snow not only in the area of the crash, but for miles in either direction if she may have hid in the woods while walking down the road and trying to avoid being seen by oncoming cars.
Of course nobody knows what happened, but I believe she would have needed a very good reason to go through the trouble of changing her identity, and I would think there would have been some sort of activity with her bank account before she was able to achieve an identity change, along with some type of contact with her family since this happened.
The conclusion for me is she, being desperate to leave the scene, accepted a ride by a passerby and met her demise by that person.

In most places, you need identification to get a marriage license.

In most places, you need identification to get a marriage license.

Tougher than it once was imho, but fake IDs are still available.

Once she has one government document with the new name & DOB -- lather, rinse, repeat.

Now the SSN is a different story. In the early '90's, a hospital clerk had the application filled out for us to sign once they had the baby's name.

Then the hospital sent the form in to Social Security.

Not checking Maura's actual DOB, but no idea if a birth in the early '80's would include the SSN application?

IMHO death by misadventure is more likely.

jmho ymmv lrr

I severely doubt Maura would be getting married if she was indeed still alive and trying to keep her identity a mystery to as many people as possible. If she wanted to get into a serious relationship with a guy she could just move in with him/or him move in with her. People don't have to get married these days to enjoy the benefits of being married.

In my opinion, Maura is most likely the girl seen running down a road not too far from the accident scene. It explains why Maura's car was found locked, her gone from the scene, and no tracks leading into the woods. Either someone was after her or she imaged (alcohol) that someone was. She is in the right age range for someone to go after.

At her age, I had a number of incidents of men following me. They would yell that something was wrong with my car trying to get me to pull over. One time it was four men in a car keeping pace with me. I don't know what would have happened if one of my large dogs hadn't sat up. When that happened, the car suddenly sped up and passed me. Something similar could have happened to Maura.

Me and my partner C are beginning to investigate this case together. So far we are still gathering evidence and trying to understand the case, so anything you have for us could be beneficial. C and I are looking forward to how this case plays out and how we can assist. C and I are in no way professionals but instead run a small business helping people with problems as amateur Consulting Detectives. Anything you have can be helpful. I will be rereading the forum.

Me and my partner C are beginning to investigate this case together. So far we are still gathering evidence and trying to understand the case, so anything you have for us could be beneficial. C and I are looking forward to how this case plays out and how we can assist. C and I are in no way professionals but instead run a small business helping people with problems as amateur Consulting Detectives. Anything you have can be helpful. I will be rereading the forum.

There aren't many facts involved in this case. Which is a big reason as to why it is intriguing to a lot of people. Maura was a 21 year old college student living on campus. I have a feeling that not even her family really knew her all that well at the time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryjane99
Back