NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it would be more inclined to stall on a curve as most people let up on the gas which would let the engine idel more and decrease the RPM's. This would create more back pressure making the car more likely to stall.

According to Triple A, a rag stuffed in the tailpipe is a common way to check for leaks in your exhaust. If you stick the rag in and plug it in tight and start your car and the engine doesn't stall out, then you know there is a leak somewhere that is letting air escape. If there is no leak the car should die almost immediately.

Maura had an opportunity to get gas right before she turned into the White Mountain National forest and then about a mile before her wreck. There would be no other opportunities for her to even stop anywhere else. Once she turned into the forest, it's all trees and streams and country roads. It is a good four miles at least that she had to have driven just in the pitch black forest before she came up to the site of her accident. after her wreck she was stranded with her car for several minutes before the bus driver even approached the scene. the window of opportunity for someone who had sabatoged Maura's car ahead of time would've already came and went before the bus driver even showed up on the scene.

According to Triple A, a rag stuffed in the tailpipe is a common way to check for leaks in your exhaust. If you stick the rag in and plug it in tight and start your car and the engine doesn't stall out, then you know there is a leak somewhere that is letting air escape. If there is no leak the car should die almost immediately.

Maura had an opportunity to get gas right before she turned into the White Mountain National forest and then about a mile before her wreck. There would be no other opportunities for her to even stop anywhere else. Once she turned into the forest, it's all trees and streams and country roads. It is a good four miles at least that she had to have driven just in the pitch black forest before she came up to the site of her accident. after her wreck she was stranded with her car for several minutes before the bus driver even approached the scene. the window of opportunity for someone who had sabatoged Maura's car ahead of time would've already came and went before the bus driver even showed up on the scene.

Thanks for the route info. As far as the rag I doubt Maura was checking for exhaust leaks after her wreck. Also stuffing a rag in the exhaust is not a sure fire way to stall a car. It would have to be wedged in there pretty tight and pretty far in. It def would create back pressure and be more likey to make a car stall that is running on only 3 cylinders.

Actually it would be more inclined to stall on a curve as most people let up on the gas which would let the engine idel more and decrease the RPM's. This would create more back pressure making the car more likely to stall.

That thought occurred to me, but why would she wipe out? Wouldn't she just slow down to a crawl? She could have tried to accelerate then crashed, but the rag should have dislodged by the force of the exhaust.

That thought occurred to me, but why would she wipe out? Wouldn't she just slow down to a crawl? She could have tried to accelerate then crashed, but the rag should have dislodged by the force of the exhaust.

It all depends on the car. Usually when a car stalls you lose the power steering and that would have made it very hard for her to control the car.

I'm not convinced about a stranger stuffing a rag from her trunk into her tailpipe, but anything is possible I suppose. IMO, it is more likely she accepted a ride from a seemingly nice guy, who turned into an animal. Even her getting hit by a car on a dark road seems more likely. I could be wrong, but I think what happened to her was not complicated. JMO

I wonder if there is an answer yet on the skull found in the horse cemetary?

I'm not convinced about a stranger stuffing a rag from her trunk into her tailpipe, but anything is possible I suppose. IMO, it is more likely she accepted a ride from a seemingly nice guy, who turned into an animal. Even her getting hit by a car on a dark road seems more likely. I could be wrong, but I think what happened to her was not complicated. JMO

Totally agree, bottom line is Maura ran into the wrong guy or guys. I don't think that we are ever going to know what really happened even when or if they find Maura' bones. Very sad.

Thought the comments to James' latest blog were interesting - the ones about MM heading to someplace other than where her father was staying. Also the one about her packing her things because she was staying off-campus...

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-did-maura-leave-party.html#comments

Are those scoops' photos?

It seems like Mr. Renner may be jumping to conclusions or reading too much into Maura's decision to drive to her Dad's hotel room. Of course it is his opinion, but if he plans to write a book on her disappearance I hope he doesn't settle on opinion. No one knows why she drove at that hour to the hotel or the mystery destination some people are speculating. I also hope he puts her actions in context with her age and stage in life too. It makes a difference sometimes. Maura was quite young and maybe a little immature in some ways. She may have simply made a dumb decision that evening. On the other hand, Renner could be right, but Maura is the only one who knows the answer. To me, there is evidence that she was planning to return the car, because of the witnesses (dorm party).
Just some thoughts.

It seems like Mr. Renner may be jumping to conclusions or reading too much into Maura's decision to drive to her Dad's hotel room. Of course it is his opinion

If Renner published a conclusion or an opinion about this decision, I guess I missed it. What expression of opinion are you referring to?

Here is the excerpt once again from the book that seventeen magazine came out with about maura murray and the night she took her father's car back to his motel at 2:30 a.m.

I must admit, I have always thought the seventeen article was done a little sloppily, but when it comes down to this account, I have no reason to doubt its accuracy. The only thing I added is what is seen in parenthesis as I was providing context.

For the record, Maura and her friend Kate dropped Fred off back at his hotel around 10 p.m., before heading for the dorms and up to her friends dorm room.

About an hour later, Maura arrived at her friend Sara Alfieri’s dorm room to hang out. For the next three hours, Maura, Sara and a couple of friends (including Kate Markopolous, whom hung out with Maura and her father as they went car shopping and out to eat Saturday day and early evening) sat around talking and listening to music while drinking Skyy Blue Malt mixed with a little bit of wine. A couple of times, when there were pauses in the conversation, Maura mentioned that she wanted to return the car to her dad that night.
“It didn’t make any sense,” said Kate Markopolous. “Why would Maura, who’d had a few drinks and seemed tired, go to the trouble of driving all the way to her dad’s motel in the middle of the night, when she didn’t need to?”
At 2:30 a.m., Maura left Sara’s room, telling everyone she was going to go upstairs to her room. But instead, she got in her dad’s car and started driving back to his motel.

Here is the excerpt once again from the book that seventeen magazine came out with about maura murray and the night she took her father's car back to his motel at 2:30 a.m.

I must admit, I have always thought the seventeen article was done a little sloppily, but when it comes down to this account, I have no reason to doubt its accuracy. The only thing I added is what is seen in parenthesis as I was providing context.

For the record, Maura and her friend Kate dropped Fred off back at his hotel around 10 p.m., before heading for the dorms and up to her friends dorm room.
About an hour later, Maura arrived at her friend Sara Alfieri’s dorm room to hang out. For the next three hours, Maura, Sara and a couple of friends (including Kate Markopolous, whom hung out with Maura and her father as they went car shopping and out to eat Saturday day and early evening) sat around talking and listening to music while drinking Skyy Blue Malt mixed with a little bit of wine. A couple of times, when there were pauses in the conversation, Maura mentioned that she wanted to return the car to her dad that night.
“It didn’t make any sense,” said Kate Markopolous. “Why would Maura, who’d had a few drinks and seemed tired, go to the trouble of driving all the way to her dad’s motel in the middle of the night, when she didn’t need to?”
At 2:30 a.m., Maura left Sara’s room, telling everyone she was going to go upstairs to her room. But instead, she got in her dad’s car and started driving back to his motel.

Whoops, it should say before heading for the dorms and down to her friend's dorm room where I have bolded up above.

If Renner published a conclusion or an opinion about this decision, I guess I missed it. What expression of opinion are you referring to?

At the time when I read his blog entry, I took it as a typical questioning of every little thing/decision she did prior to her disappearance. Sometimes, I think "it is what it is." She made a dumb decision to return the car. I'm probably a little worn out with all the tearing apart of everything that happened before her trip to NH. To me, it is obvious she was emotional about something---at least, because of wrecking her Dad's car, which lead to her trip to NH. I doubt she would have taken that trip if she didn't wreck her Dad's car. If there was something else bugging her, one wonders if her friends noticed a personality change. She did have dinner with a friend (along with her dad) and had attended a small party prior to the accident in her Dad's car. I haven't heard anything on this. The rest is speculation (secretly living off campus, attempting to tell her dad she is pregnant, etc). Alas, don't mind me, I've been on this board for quite sometime and have my own opinions.

I'm thinking there might have been a woman in the car too.

Regarding the issue of why Maura would return the car--If Maura told people she was returning the car, and she wrecked on a route that would take her to her dad's motel, then she was just doing what she said she would do. it may not make any sense to us or to her friend or Renner, but that is what the evidence tells us. It may be something as simple as she didn't have a parking sticker for a university lot. Maybe she was just going to drop the car off and leave the key at the desk if her dad was up. But we don't know enough about her decision or state of mind to speculate that it didn't make sense to her. Or that if we knew what she knew or was thinking about, it woulldn't make sense to us.

And while 2:30 am seems late to us, to college students it is pretty much no different than midnight. It's like they are nocturnal. So I don't put all that much into debating her motives about the car. I do think it is worth thinking about whether she wanted to move out of the dorms or was in fact alreadynsharing space with a roommate. One reason she might have wanted to talk to her dad, before they bought a car for her, would be if she wanted to either leave school or change residences, both of which might be seen as wasting tuition already paid. Once the term starts, she wouldn't be able to get a full refund on housing. Maybe she figured she had pushed it as far as she could without telling her dad about that change. Of course, it would seem likely that if she were living in a place somewhere other than the dorm, a roommate would have spoken up on e she went missng.

Wow. I think all of us have pondered before that the cops uncovered something significant, that wasn't criminal, but was embarrassing.

I thought maybe pregnancy. Also I thought a lesbian relationship. Something, that would be important to keep under wraps for the privacy of the people involved, out of respect.

Sounds like he's married?

Or maybe he's one of her teachers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members