NY Nicholas Faust, 43, Army Sgt last seen at underground bar, Poughkeepsie, 23/24 March 2024

I thought he was last seen on March 23? Where has he been for a week?
Sorry you’re right, I wasn’t even thinking it’s been a whole week now. My work schedule makes it so my days blend together. IMO I would assume the police would know if it was him since all of the state police troops are on alert for him and his family is still reporting as of today they have no new info. Unfortunately shootings in Poughkeepsie aren’t few and far between, it’s not an area I’d be in, especially at night, and I am not typically the type to be fearful of my surroundings.

Nicholas Faust’s Nissan Rogue was found outside of a house on Mill Street, according to his relatives who say he was last seen there at a party on the night of March 23.

His family says Faust lived in his car and that his belongings were found inside. They say he was seen on surveillance video walking down the block after the party and are asking anyone with information to come forward.

Nicholas Faust’s Nissan Rogue was found outside of a house on Mill Street, according to his relatives who say he was last seen there at a party on the night of March 23.

His family says Faust lived in his car and that his belongings were found inside. They say he was seen on surveillance video walking down the block after the party and are asking anyone with information to come forward.
I'm all but sure he's in the Hudson River. Mill St. is a short street and it's a stone's throw from the river.

Would be nice to know where on Mill St. <modsnip - no link to approved source to statement of fact>

I'm wondering why he's homeless. He just passed a course to drive buses. It seems like he's a registered CNA plus he apparently drives for Uber as well as Lyft.

Someone upthread mentioned interesting comments attached to the local MHA Duchess Veteran program. It's been blocked from me reviewing it since FB has dropped any news via FB. Can someone give me a synopsis? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Was Faust full-time military? How was he homeless? So sad.

Was Faust full-time military? How was he homeless? So sad.
Honestly you’d be surprised (I think many Americans would be) at the level of poverty a lot of military families live in. I’m referring to military families living on military bases. I can’t speak for the national guard but where I live they only work on certain weekends and often get deployed.

From what I understand about Nicolas, he was a full time nursing assistant at a long term care facility. I can only assume the national guard there is much like other locations and they work on weekends typically. They don’t live on base.

It’s sad that he rose to the ranks of SGT and was living in his vehicle. I wonder if that was his chosen preference, for whatever reason. It’s so hard to speculate because I feel like theres family dynamics that we’re not privy to. :(

Honestly you’d be surprised (I think many Americans would be) at the level of poverty a lot of military families live in. I’m referring to military families living on military bases. I can’t speak for the national guard but where I live they only work on certain weekends and often get deployed.

From what I understand about Nicolas, he was a full time nursing assistant at a long term care facility. I can only assume the national guard there is much like other locations and they work on weekends typically. They don’t live on base.

It’s sad that he rose to the ranks of SGT and was living in his vehicle. I wonder if that was his chosen preference, for whatever reason. It’s so hard to speculate because I feel like theres family dynamics that we’re not privy to. :(
Many people do not realize that enlisted personnel can be at the poverty level due to housing costs. When a service member is stationed in a high cost of living area - and upstate New York is still very expensive - the housing allowance received while on active duty might not cover rent or a mortgage. This especially applies to unmarried people. There isn't enough military housing, either in the right locations or in good condition. Some enlisted personnel work at a 2nd civilian job to have enough to live. It doesn't shock me that an enlisted soldier was living in his car while employed - it could be economics vs personal issues, especially if he was employed.

MOO: Handsome man, and all my respect to those who have served. I see this as a case where living in a car is less a matter of skill-based poverty (he has plenty of trained paths to earn living wages) and more a matter of emotional trauma and perhaps other factors, understandably. Would love it if a websleuther could pull an overhead map and show distance to the Hudson. …

Video at the link shows where the car was found, looks to be in a driveway area rather than parked on the street IMO

Attachments

• IMG_7074.jpeg
    IMG_7074.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 33
MOO: Handsome man, and all my respect to those who have served. I see this as a case where living in a car is less a matter of skill-based poverty (he has plenty of trained paths to earn living wages) and more a matter of emotional trauma and perhaps other factors, understandably. Would love it if a websleuther could pull an overhead map and show distance to the Hudson. …
Tough to say because we don't know exactly where he was on Mill St, but the furthest end of Mill Street from the Hudson is 2.8 miles. That's where the street splits off into what is called Mill St. I think from walking the Google guy down the street that he was significantly closer to the Hudson. JMO.

Many people do not realize that enlisted personnel can be at the poverty level due to housing costs. When a service member is stationed in a high cost of living area - and upstate New York is still very expensive - the housing allowance received while on active duty might not cover rent or a mortgage. This especially applies to unmarried people. There isn't enough military housing, either in the right locations or in good condition. Some enlisted personnel work at a 2nd civilian job to have enough to live. It doesn't shock me that an enlisted soldier was living in his car while employed - it could be economics vs personal issues, especially if he was employed.
Agreed. I can speak specifically to Fort Drum, New York base. I was appalled to hear they have food closets. Heart broke, to be honest. I spent over a month recently at Ft Drum staying on base with my daughter & sil who is enlisted in the US Army. My career is also for the Federal Government. So I feel this case on so many levels.

Agreed. I can speak specifically to Fort Drum, New York base. I was appalled to hear they have food closets. Heart broke, to be honest. I spent over a month recently at Ft Drum staying on base with my daughter & sil who is enlisted in the US Army. My career is also for the Federal Government. So I feel this case on so many levels.
I used to work for the OPP, a provincial police force in Ontario. New recruits got kind of a crappy salary for the 1st year (no point wasting money on someone who wasn't committed, I guess) but the following year their salaries increased dramatically. New recruits were sent on duration postings, usually in remote areas or towns in more rural settings. By the second year they were probably some of the best paid citizens of the towns - had all the toys, snowmobiles, fishing boats, etc. At one point in time, in a northern town, a whole street of houses was owned by the OPP, since buying a home in a small town meant it could take years to sell it if you got transferred. We'd joke it was the safest street to live on in all Ontario. Today, the average salary of an OPP officer is about $125K. Great if you live in Smooth Rock Falls, not so great if you live near Toronto.

I wasn't sure if he was a full-time National Guardsman. Those guardsmen who are usually serve attend guard duty once a month.

@Pali8RN and @Warwick1991 Thanks for this insight. It had never occurred to me that military service members could be just scraping by financially—though I think it’s possible that, for this individual, living in his car could be the result of other, or additional, factors (mental health, personal choice, being displaced from previous living situation, etc.).

@Pali8RN and @Warwick1991 Thanks for this insight. It had never occurred to me that military service members could be just scraping by financially—though I think it’s possible that, for this individual, living in his car could be the result of other, or additional, factors (mental health, personal choice, being displaced from previous living situation, etc.).

It would be nice to know his status as a CNA - was he employed full time, part time, or just as a fill-in for full time staff on leave. Could mean every aspect of his working life from driving a bus to nursing was tentative at best.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back