GUILTY NJ - Bridgeton girl, 14, charged in death of newborn, 4 May 2008

This is a case of a child having a baby. Her second child at that. That should not be happening, she is a child herself. Most likely some kind of rape was involved. A 14 year old is too young to be having children, and the first child she had at a younger age. I feel bad for the girl, i hope she can get help and find someone that she actually trusts somewhere in the system. There are some good people that work in the system, it's just a matter of finding them.

That is what should happen to her!
If this turns out to be a boyfriend/girlfriend situation which I am sure it is, she should be strung up, made to pay.

I have zero compassion for this animal. NONE. ZERO!

Pregnant twice, one child in custody of someone else and one child dead, floating in the toilet, she is not the VICTIM here, SCM, she is the vile, disgusting freak who caused BOTH of these babies to be victims.

I have to agrewith SCM on this, we do not know the details or this girl. We don't know how she got pregnant or by who. Yes she had a child before but does this mean she should not be scared of her parents finding out she is pregnant again. I am not condoning what she did but I think a little compassion is in order here. I would hate to live in a world without compassion.

This child needs to not be permitted to have more kids!

Exactly our point. She shouldn't have been "permitted" in the first place. She should have been "permitted" to have her childhood and grow up. I hope someone jumps in and "permits" her to heal, and helps her to grow up, so one day she can have a healthy life, and children, as an adult.

She is a child. She is too young to consent, so she's obviously been abused/raped. She hid her pregnancy, she's gone through it alone, for some survivors a baby is only a reminder of their abuse.

As for her other child not being in her custody, she may have handed him/her over to a relative, being a child herself when she gave birth. Twelve/thirteen years old is a very young age to learn to parent at.

Here's another story on this- it says the father has legal custody of her first child and they were all living together in the same apartment. It sounds like she is currently in the hospital, which may be why she isn't in juvenile detention center of some sort right now?

Mom of Drowned Infant Was BHS Honor Student
http://www.nj.com/news/bridgeton/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1210396227317400.xml&coll=10&thispage=1

Where is her mother? And why was her first baby allowed to live in the same house with her and her father? Surely the father has to work so I can imagine her having to care for the infant. Not ideal, imo.

On the second page at Lorelei's link:

A friend of the teenager who suspected her friend was pregnant informed the girl's father about her hunch after reading about the dead infant found last weekend in Millville.

The girl's father then contacted the prosecutor's office.

No charges have been filed against the dead child's father, also believed to be a teenager and not the same person as the father of the surviving child.

I hope the authorities get answers soon about what was going on in this child's life.

It's just a wholly dreadful situation & this child will have to learn to take responsibility for the murder of her own child if she's ever to have any kind of a life and not be a danger in future.

(Oh heck philamena snip to your heart's content. I find it makes reading a thread easier when people snip what they're responding to anyway.)
blaize,
Thanks for understanding the 'snip' lol.
If we truly think back to when we were 14, I think most of us would understand how young and naive we were.
This girls problem is that she keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. She needs some type of counseling and some birth control.
I definitely think she needs to realize that she's killing human beings.

On the second page at Lorelei's link:

A friend of the teenager who suspected her friend was pregnant informed the girl's father about her hunch after reading about the dead infant found last weekend in Millville.

The girl's father then contacted the prosecutor's office.

No charges have been filed against the dead child's father, also believed to be a teenager and not the same person as the father of the surviving child.

ohhhhhhhh

i am of dual feeling on this issue. i do pity this girl. she is 14 and i think it is safe to say her home life is totally screwed up. if she had a decent home her life would have changed dramatically after the first pregnancy. the fact she continues this behavior indicates something emotionally lacking.

i also pity the innocent dead baby. the killer should pay for the crime no matter how crappy their life is.

unless the child is found to be severely mentally ill i would want prison and forced therapy for her. it should not be one or the other imo. she should pay for the crime of murder because she is a murderer. she killed a innocent baby in cold blood. she should get therapy because she is a child with obvious issues and as a society we should not abandon a young girl that appears to need mental help.

She is 14 and her first child is 13months old. So she was a mother at 13. Pluds it took 9months to carry the first child so that makes her very close to12 yrs old when she first got pregnant. It sounds like the police are trying to make sure she is not a victim of incest or being molested and raped by an adult family friend.She had to have gotten pregnant 4 months after having the first one. Good chance this girl is a victim of ongoing rape.

I tend to agree, Sherri. She needs to be locked up for killing her baby in cold blood (and maybe to prevent her from immediately gettting pregnant again) but she also needs therapy. She will be released one day and she needs to have her head together when that happens.

Me. I care. I too was unable to control myself sexually at 13, 14...

This is a heartbreaking story. This child has given birth twice already. Something is very not right in her life. My prayers are with her and her family. Perhaps there is time for someone to save her from herself.

Same here, SCM. And I'm glad I'm not the only one to have some compassion for this child...

That is what is wrong with our world today! We are raising children with no morals and no sense of responsibilities. We "forgive" and "cuddle" them when they do the little things like try to rape their teachers or murder their babies.
We offer support and understanding because they "must be the victim of abuse or neglect". We try to be "open-minded" and "caring" because we want to be viewed as "compassionate" and "loving".

This girl is no longer a child. I know when I was 14 I was sexually active and I did consenet to sex with many people but I was wise enough on my OWN to use protection without the help of my parents or anyone else. Being 14 does NOT make you stupid.

After the first (if it was indeed her FIRST child) the girl should have be fitted for birth control, she wasn't or didn't ask and continued to have sex so she new what was gonna happen and it lead to murder.

She is a murderer who should be treated as the adult she is.

That is what is wrong with our world today! We are raising children with no morals and no sense of responsibilities. We "forgive" and "cuddle" them when they do the little things like try to rape their teachers or murder their babies.
We offer support and understanding because they "must be the victim of abuse or neglect". We try to be "open-minded" and "caring" because we want to be viewed as "compassionate" and "loving".

This girl is no longer a child. I know when I was 14 I was sexually active and I did consenet to sex with many people but I was wise enough on my OWN to use protection without the help of my parents or anyone else. Being 14 does NOT make you stupid.

After the first (if it was indeed her FIRST child) the girl should have be fitted for birth control, she wasn't or didn't ask and continued to have sex so she new what was gonna happen and it lead to murder.

Good post Pixie:)

I have never, in all my time following true crime, ever seen anyone think that cuddling and forgiveness was suitable punishment for rape and murder. Where are you seeing this??

pixies said:

OR, we offer support and understanding because many of us have been there. And trivialize it if you will, but there are common reactions and behaviors as a result of abuse and/or neglect. I don't give a darn how I'm viewed, Pixies. I just happen to be able see a lot of myself in others. Instead of judging, I can relate to the pain and confusion of a messed up childhood.

And maybe I'm considering what some love and support could have done to change MY life and choices. We'll never know, because it's in the past. But I'd like to extend it to others-- to give them what I didn't have. Because I believe it will make a difference.

pixies said:

Woulda coulda shoulda isn't real helpful in this situation. But treat her as an adult? I don't think so. She's not an adult, far from it. I believe juvenile detention with therapy would better serve her and the community as a whole.

When I was a sexually active 14-year-older, I wasn't wise enough to make responsible choices or even think twice about birth control. Lucky for me, I had a stepmom who made sure I was on the pill. I had adults in my life who were my safety net when I was too stupid to even know I needed one.

Anyone who can call this child an adult with a straight face inhabits a strange world, I think.

There are so many unknowns in this case. I have faith that those handling her case will consider all of the factors here. Undoubtedly this young girl needs help.

I am fine with prison as a place to keep those who pose a danger to society. That makes sense to me. I don't know if prison would help this girl. Perhaps it would but I have my doubts. I don't care about punishment and paying for crimes. I believe justice is always served, but not here on this planet. We don't really have the capacity to mete our genuine justice.

If some time is spent trying to help this girl, it is better for all of us. If she doesn't get help, she will go on to act out in other ways that could be fatal to others. The reality is - there is no way this girl is going to spend the rest of her life in jail, so we should hope that some help is extended.

Like Irish, I see myself in others. I cannot begin to imagine what it would feel like to be a 14 year old giving birth for the second time alone in a bathroom. There, but for God's grace, go I.

I think motive matters.

Was the girl afraid of being beaten for having another baby? Or is the girl a sociopath who would rather kill than to have it be known she 'messed up' again?

Those are so many possible motives. What was going through this girl's mind?

I agree nothing justifies the taking of an innocent life. But, I think reasons and the girl's age need to be taken into account.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back