NJ NJ - Carla Vicentini, 22, Newark, 10 Feb 2006

Discussion in '2000's Missing' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, May 23, 2011.

1. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

Talk of the Town (a Small Brazilian Town)

dotr likes this.
  2. turanna25

turanna25 Well-Known Member

Aren't work exchange programs such that you need to have the work secured prior to coming to the country? The other articles made it sound like she secured the work once she arrived here.. Am i missing something?

JrzyGirl70 and dotr like this.
  3. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

The information in this case seems to be lacking for sure. And what information is out there is confusing. I’ve read she was assigned to work at White Castle, but it’s weird that someone would come here to work at White Castle and live in a sketchy motel.

NJEverCurious, turanna25 and dotr like this.
  4. turanna25

turanna25 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you. Around 2005 I worked for a pool management company in NJ and we brought staff from other countries to work during the summer months as lifeguards.. but they were cohorted into apartments (4 workers in an apartment) and there was paperwork that needed to be completed/work visas applied for and granted before they even set foot in the country. So... I'm really confused by the little information we have.

MagnoliaMountain, dotr and bears10 like this.
  5. NJEverCurious

NJEverCurious Active Member

I don't know whether this is still true in 2019, but in the late 1990's and early 2000's, there was a large population of Russian and maybe also Polish women working at bars in northern NJ. Many of them did not speak fluent English, and I suspect now that they may have been here illegally and may even have been the victims of human trafficking. Unfortunately, given the time period when Ms. Vicentini went missing, her tall stature and good looks, my first thought would be that she was the victim of human trafficking.

turanna25 and dotr like this.