GUILTY NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest* #2

Avalon Zoppo‏ @AvalonZoppo

Saal’s attorney played an interview Saal gave to police on June 19, nine days after Byington was killed. [video embedded at link below]

Avalon Zoppo on Twitter

ETA:

In response to whether CB interacts with people at work, KS says .... "From what I can tell, she walks around... talks to people. She mostly stays in her room."

When referring to himself, KS uses "office." He was in his office around 9 - 9:30

What?! KS talks about CB like she's a grounded teen.

Does KS really feel superior to CB?

Such an odd exchange-- 9 days after he savagely murdered her.

MOO
Or a wife.

I could look at it another way. He may say room but he almost seemed steamed that CB has a private room/office and stays holed up when she wants to and he probably is in a public room/office or cubicle and resents her but wishes he could watch *advertiser censored* on his computer.

A bit of an exaggeration but I trust most know what I mean...

They started about the same time in their jobs and she has a "room" and a promotion. I think it is meant to dismiss it but it bothers him.

I do not know what his parents are like but I feel for his father having to go through this and provide an "alibi" which is not really an alibi. And his wife and child.

FREAK.

ETA: Jmo.

It's possible she didn't lock the door behind her. She was home for lunch, I assume, and not for an extended period of time (again, I assume). He may have simply tried the door and walked right in. JMO
Agreed -- walk to the car, drive to the apt, park and go in, throw a sandwich or leftovers on a plate, eat, maybe make a phone call or wipe down the kitchen counter, a trip to the loo, etc., drive back to work, park, be back in the office, all in an hour. We've all done it -- it was too nutz for me, so I brought my lunch or walked to a nearby place -- an hour is really a short time -- things on her mind, forgets to (or never does) lock the door... SMH

Killer is accused of stalking Lafayette grad before brutally stabbing her, prosecutor says
Updated Sep 23, 2019; Posted Sep 23, 2019

"One of Byington’s neighbors told NJ Advance Media he would see her come home for lunch almost daily."

Killer is accused of stalking Lafayette grad before brutally stabbing her, prosecutor says
Updated Sep 23, 2019; Posted Sep 23, 2019

"One of Byington’s neighbors told NJ Advance Media he would see her come home for lunch almost daily."

There's a conflict here between neighbor, and initial news reports -- citing two sources. I think we'll have to wait until after the grand jury to hear official report.

Killer was waiting at apartment for 26-year-old woman murdered on her lunch break, sources say

June 14, 2019

By Kevin Shea | For NJ.com

The woman found dead in her Plainsboro apartment Monday evening did not regularly go home for lunch.

But Carolyn Byington did midday Monday, drawn there for some reason, and was apparently attacked once she entered her apartment in the Hunters Glen complex, two sources familiar with the investigation told NJ Advance Media.

This case is driving me crazy! I'm sure that we all have cases that we latch onto for whatever reason, and this is one of those cases for me. I am obsessed with finding out the basics of HOW this happened and WHY.

I wish that we could get a verified insider to tell us two or three simple things--HOW did he get into her apartment? Did she KNOW he would be there that day? Why did he feel the need to KILL her? Did she realize he was obsessed with her?

So sad. And for him to use a knife and not strangulation seems especially sadistic and cruel. You'd think that the mess alone would deter him since he had a very limited time frame in which to commit the murder, but no.

To me, the most perplexing elements about this case are as follows:

1) the long term working relationship they had with no obvious signs that he was, literally, a sadistic psycho-killer fixated on HER. (Had he shown any violent tendencies or obsessions, surely he would have been let go). And if he had been genuinely psychotic and hallucinating, he wouldn't have been able to hold down a professional job for so many years. I get that there are evil, sadistic thrill killers out there, but this guy wasn't a loser like Dahmer or Manson, always on the fringes or in and out of prison. He was a professional at CBs company for three long years, day in, day out, dressed in business casual, doing his job well enough to not get fired. And then one day, for one hour, he's Norman Bates. It boggles the mind.

2). the LACK of a mutual, romantic relationship between the two (an assumption, yes, but I'm all in!) that could explain this enormously risky and vicious, frenzied attack. Yes, unrequited love hurts badly, but what's even worse is the destruction of requited love. This is usually what drives relatively "sane" people to lose their minds, lose control, and slash their ex-lover to death--things like infidelity, the loss of a shared family life, the bond that comes from having children together, looming financial disintegration, and the destruction of sexual/emotional bonds. I can understand (barely), a shooting from afar due to rage and rejection, but this closeup attack is so personal and a million times more risky--why was it WORTH it to him?

Because it's not as if KS had nothing to lose or no one to love. He was married with a baby. Yes, his wife may not have been his ultimate dream girl, but still--he wasn't an unemployed incel in his parents' basement. He had a job and a profession and friends and family. So what the heck happened?!?! And WHY?

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
This case is driving me crazy! I'm sure that we all have cases that we latch onto for whatever reason, and this is one of those cases for me. I am obsessed with finding out the basics of HOW this happened and WHY.

I wish that we could get a verified insider to tell us two or three simple things--HOW did he get into her apartment? Did she KNOW he would be there that day? Why did he feel the need to KILL her? Did she realize he was obsessed with her?

So sad. And for him to use a knife and not strangulation seems especially sadistic and cruel. You'd think that the mess alone would deter him since he had a very limited time frame in which to commit the murder, but no.

To me, the most perplexing elements about this case are as follows:

1) the long term working relationship they had with no obvious signs that he was, literally, a sadistic psycho-killer fixated on HER. (Had he shown any violent tendencies or obsessions, surely he would have been let go). And if he had been genuinely psychotic and hallucinating, he wouldn't have been able to hold down a professional job for so many years. I get that there are evil, sadistic thrill killers out there, but this guy wasn't a loser like Dahmer or Manson, always on the fringes or in and out of prison. He was a professional at CBs company for three long years, day in, day out, dressed in business casual, doing his job well enough to not get fired. And then one day, for one hour, he's Norman Bates. It boggles the mind.

2). the LACK of a mutual, romantic relationship between the two (an assumption, yes, but I'm all in!) that could explain this enormously risky and vicious, frenzied attack. Yes, unrequited love hurts badly, but what's even worse is the destruction of requited love. This is usually what drives relatively "sane" people to lose their minds, lose control, and slash their ex-lover to death--things like infidelity, the loss of a shared family life, the bond that comes from having children together, looming financial disintegration, and the destruction of sexual/emotional bonds. I can understand (barely), a shooting from afar due to rage and rejection, but this closeup attack is so personal and a million times more risky--why was it WORTH it to him?

Because it's not as if KS had nothing to lose or no one to love. He was married with a baby. Yes, his wife may not have been his ultimate dream girl, but still--he wasn't an unemployed incel in his parents' basement. He had a job and a profession and friends and family. So what the heck happened?!?! And WHY?

Thanks for listening!

I agree, Truth. I have no answers. It is all mind-boggling. The only one who knows the reasons is the killer himself. I believe he was a sociopath. I know he had many traffic violations and I think vandalized some cars. He was a ticking time bomb. That I'm sure nobody would think would have thought would do this.

Wish I could help. I still think about this case. I think about my friend who had a guy obsessed with her when we worked for a marketing company for 4 years. Never once did I think that guy would be dangerous. Did Carolyn or her friends know he was so interested in her? Her co-workers must know more. But still it is just baffling. Just want to say you are not alone with your wanting to understand the WHY in all this. I realize I probably never will.

I believe I read that neighbors reported seeing KS in the past at her building? I wonder then if there was some friendship. Or perhaps he was just crazy enough and obsessed enough to go wander around her apartment complex before the day he went with the plan to murder her.

May this sick animal rot in prison the rest of his life. Makes me so angry thinking how unfair this all is to Carolyn and her family. NOBODY should have to go through this.

I believe I read that neighbors reported seeing KS in the past at her building? I wonder then if there was some friendship. Or perhaps he was just crazy enough and obsessed enough to go wander around her apartment complex before the day he went with the plan to murder her.

May this sick animal rot in prison the rest of his life. Makes me so angry thinking how unfair this all is to Carolyn and her family. NOBODY should have to go through this.

Actually, the prosecutor called KS visits to Carolyn's apartment evidence of his stalking behavior.

If there was any kind of known friendship between these co-workers, where defense could allege it not unusual that KS be seen on the property -- I doubt the prosecutor would put it on court record that KS was stalking her.

I believe they have evidence he visited property day before murder, and also 2 weeks prior.

MOO

Actually, the prosecutor called KS visits to Carolyn's apartment evidence of his stalking behavior.

If there was any kind of known friendship between these co-workers, where defense could allege it not unusual that KS be seen on the property -- I doubt the prosecutor would put it on court record that KS was stalking her.

I believe they have evidence he visited property day before murder, and also 2 weeks prior.

MOO

Wow. So chilling. Maybe when he knew she was at work he went to scope out her home/area. Thanks for clarifying. I wonder if she had any idea his interest in her. I think back to my old friend with the colleague who was obsessed with her at work...We always thought he was harmless. Maybe Carolyn and her friends did have an idea, but thought the perhaps quiet guy with a wife and new baby was harmless. Just all around beyond sad.

I have questions about the eyewitness placing Saal in the laundry room a few weeks prior to the incident.
One commentor on nj.com said it was likely a very broad description and the eyewitness, months later ID the suspect after he was arrested. That could have been any big tall white guy with a scruffy beard according to the commentor, and would tend to agree.
Secondly, as commenters on this site have stated here that room is locked. It’s more likely a welcome houseguest was using the laundry than intruder waiting to pounce.
Was she seeing someone, which triggered his stalking? Was there someone else in the picture?
The lack of information in this case, makes me wonder. What prompted his sudden change in behavior to show up on the property in the days leading up? Was she seeing someone? Do you have information that would be critical to this case?
Another thing is the DNA that has been floated around in the media hasn’t been brought up in court
I have read it is still out for testing.

Oh and...no blood evidence? Multiple stab wounds not one drop of blood in car?

Last edited:
I have questions about the eyewitness placing Saal in the laundry room a few weeks prior to the incident.
One commentor on nj.com said it was likely a very broad description and the eyewitness, months later ID the suspect after he was arrested. That could have been any big tall white guy with a scruffy beard according to the commentor, and would tend to agree.
Secondly, as commenters on this site have stated here that room is locked. It’s more likely a welcome houseguest was using the laundry than intruder waiting to pounce.
Was she seeing someone, which triggered his stalking? Was there someone else in the picture?
The lack of information in this case, makes me wonder. What prompted his sudden change in behavior to show up on the property in the days leading up? Was she seeing someone? Do you have information that would be critical to this case?
Another thing is the DNA that has been floated around in the media hasn’t been brought up in court
I have read it is still out for testing.

Oh and...no blood evidence? Multiple stab wounds not one drop of blood in car?

bbm
Did he have the nerve to take a shower in her apt? Or did he just make sure all traces on him were gone before he left her apt? Did he wash and wipe down the car, take a shower, and throw his clothes in the washing machine as soon as he got home from work?
This crime was planned, so he had no reason to panic -- take care of blood evidence and go back to work the next day. He was smarter than LE, ya know, so no problem.

bbm
Did he have the nerve to take a shower in her apt? Or did he just make sure all traces on him were gone before he left her apt? Did he wash and wipe down the car, take a shower, and throw his clothes in the washing machine as soon as he got home from work?
This crime was planned, so he had no reason to panic -- take care of blood evidence and go back to work the next day. He was smarter than LE, ya know, so no problem.

I don't see KS showering at CB's apartment. We do know that he changed his t-shirt according to what he told investigators.

Prosecutors allege Saal left his workplace at 12:47 p.m. on June 10 and drove to Byington’s Plainsboro apartment, where he stabbed her multiple times and then returned to work at 2:52 p.m. for a meeting with a supervisor.

In that time, Saal told police he changed his undershirt and texted his boss asking to push back the time of their meeting, Dolinger said. As the days passed, Dolinger alleged, coworkers described Saal as fidgety and said they noticed scratches on his knuckles.

Following a slew of detailed allegations, judge keeps accused lunch break killer in jail

I think we'll find out that they have plenty of evidence against him if this case goes to trial. Just because we haven't heard about her blood in his vehicle, etc., doesn't mean the prosecutors aren't loaded with this type of evidence. This guy doesn't strike me as very smart or stealthy so I can't imagine he eliminated his DNA completely in her apartment or in his car.
I do kinda hope this goes to trial so we find out why.

Wish they would bring up the strongest evidences in these preliminary hearings. The DNA was put in the compliant filed with the court, so that’s admitted. If his car spotted in Plainsboro at 2:04 is correct would give him very little time to shower. Throwing clothes in wash doesn’t remove blood stains. We don’t know what happened to clothes he was wearing that day.
The electronic evidence helps, why was he there at all? He shouldn’t have been. The reporting has been so weak in this case that I don’t know if he was there on the day of or the days leading up. Since it occurred on a Monday, was he there on Sat and Sunday?
I feel so sorry for the family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anon_11
Back