GUILTY NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest* #2

Shouldn't there always be a time limit for plea deals? Also, I read the article but it never mentioned when the plea deal expired, does anyone else have any more information?

Plea deal expires March 15.
"The man accused of killing his coworker when she went to her Plainsboro home on a lunch break will have until mid-March to accept plea deal that calls for 30-year prison sentence, officials said in court on Monday."
"After March 16, the sentence attached to the plea deal will rise to 50 years."

N.J. man accused of killing coworker on lunch break gets deadline to consider plea deal

Feb 10, 2020

Saal was offered a plea deal of 30 years in jail in return for pleading guilty to murder ahead of the indictment, Assistant Prosecutor Tzvi Dolinger said. That deal was set to expire today, but has been extended to mid-March as Saal’s new attorney becomes familiar with the case. After March 16, the sentence attached to the plea deal will rise to 50 years, Dolinger said. If found guilty at trial, Saal faces life in prison.

Thanks -- this article provided more information on his new lawyer and KS family in the courtroom which I'd not previously seen reported. It appears to me that his new lawyer is partner in his firm and not a public defender.

Feb 10, 2020

NEW BRUNSWICK – A South Jersey man charged with killing his co-worker has been given another month to consider accepting a 30-year plea deal.

Additionally, 30-year-old Kenneth Saal, of Lindenwold, replaced his legal representation before a brief hearing Monday morning before Superior Court Judge Michael Toto.

Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Tzvi Dolinger said Saal’s new counsel has a month to review the case before the offer, for pleading guilty to the murder of 26-year-old Carolyn Byington, would be increased to a 50-year term.

[..]

Saal’s attorney Christian Fleming, of Jabin & Fleming in East Brunswick, said he’s already reviewing the case and additional DNA information is scheduled to be sent to his office.

Saal did not speak during the hearing but did turn to acknowledge his parents and sister in the courtroom.

Byington’s family and a large group of supporters also attended the hearing.

I’m guessing he didn’t take the plea deal. Can’t wait for court date to be set. Saal had 7 months to consider that deal, he wasn’t taking it. Either he believes he committed the perfect crime or maybe there is something we don’t know yet. Can’t wait for trial. Q

I’m guessing he didn’t take the plea deal. Can’t wait for court date to be set. Saal had 7 months to consider that deal, he wasn’t taking it. Either he believes he committed the perfect crime or maybe there is something we don’t know yet. Can’t wait for trial. Q

Court calendars are likely a mess like everything else with Coronavirus.

Hoping for update soon from reporter whether or not KS took deal or extended again.

If I recall correctly, KS just replaced his counsel when extension given -- I wonder if jail is on lockdown?

Court calendars are likely a mess like everything else with Coronavirus.

Hoping for update soon from reporter whether or not KS took deal or extended again.

If I recall correctly, KS just replaced his counsel when extension given -- I wonder if jail is on lockdown?

Update:

My Central Jersey reporter Suzanne Russell confirmed to me court dates including KS postponed due to coronavirus (i.e., plea deal still pending).

Haven’t been here in several months. Hope everyone is doing well. Just checking in to see if there’s been any updates. The Governor in NJ lifted the stay at home orders here in NJ, so hopefully we will hear something soon about Saal and whether he took the plea deal or not.

Haven’t been here in several months. Hope everyone is doing well. Just checking in to see if there’s been any updates. The Governor in NJ lifted the stay at home orders here in NJ, so hopefully we will hear something soon about Saal and whether he took the plea deal or not.
Would really like to see some news as we pass the 1 year anniversary of Carolyn’s death.

He apparently didn't give Carolyn any "extra time" before he came in that door after her that day.
How much flippin' more decision time should he get???
Her poor family, having to wait for that ~man~.
Grrrr. :mad:....:mad:

Not finding anything regarding the plea deal or court hearing but this was new to me -- comment from the Employer.

Co-worker charged with murdering Plainsboro woman in her apartment

Feb 28, 2020 - Co-worker Kenneth C. Saal, 30, was arrested at his Lindenwold home and charged with first-degree murder and third-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.

Carey did not disclose the nature of Saal and Byington's relationship, the weapon used or why she went home for lunch that day. The Prosecutor's Office did not immediately return a request for comment on Thursday.

“We are shocked at the news of Ken’s arrest. We are cooperating fully with the police as they continue their investigation," Engine spokesman Drew Kerr said in an email to New Jersey 101.5.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back