GUILTY NJ - Father Joseph Hughes for embezzlement, Rumson, 2006

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Beyond Belief, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) -- A priest who pleaded guilty to looting more than $75,000 from his upscale parish to pay for vacations and fancy cars was sentenced Friday to five years in state prison.

The sentence followed prosecutors' recommendation for the Rev. Joseph W. Hughes, 62, who last month admitted embezzling from the Church of the Holy Cross in the Rumson over seven years. Authorities had originally charged him with taking $2 million.

Hughes, who led the parish for 16 years, has agreed to return the money and pay $120,229 in income taxes. He apologized several times during the hearing Friday.

"I betrayed the trust of the people and I am truly and heartfeltly sorry," he told the judge.

Hughes was accused http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PRIEST_EMBEZZLEMENT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

2. Loading...

3. Opie

Opie Well-Known Member

I guess we should be grateful it was not another pedophile priest story, but really....this is disgusting.

4. deanws

deanws Former Member

This makes me so very angry. Priests are in a position of great power. So many people look up to them and to them for spiritual guidance. When they do stupid things like this, it shakes the faith of many.

5. lilsister

lilsister New Member

The priest is from my parent's parish...they live in Little Silver NJ (right near Rumson). So very sickening.... They just moved there about 3 years ago and then this comes out. Yuck! They also itimated that this priest had a "boyfriend" but don't hold me to that!:loser:

6. Opie

Opie Well-Known Member

Well, I recall reading not too long ago that seminaries are to be more vigilant in checking on candidates for the priesthood, weeding out anyone who appeared to be gay. Pedophiles are at the top of my s*&^ list and embezzlers are not too far below them.

7. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Sadly, it does for many. My faith isn't shaken by the acts of a human, though. They are going to sin, and it isn't a reflection of my Church or my God or my Saviour, I figure. :)

8. BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff New Member

Actually, I've noticed a rather surprising correlation between pedophiles and crimes such as graft, fraud, embezzlement, etc. It seems to have something to do with their lack of boundaries,their cavalier attitude towards vioalting trust, their sense of entitlement, and the adrenaline rush they get from commiting crimes and not getting caught. That's not to say every embezzler is a pedophile, but many pedophiles are also found to be guilty of being con men/embezzlers as well.

9. lilsister

lilsister New Member

Very interesting comment Billy.

10. TisHerself

TisHerself New Member

The only time one's Faith is shaken by something that a Priest does is when your faith was not that strong to begin with. Quite simply because of the reasons you stated.