NJ NJ - Margaret Fox, 14, Burlington, 24 June 1974

I see it inconsistently reported that the girls placed the ad either on the 18th or the 19th, and I am trying to figure out exactly which date. If anyone can help me find a source for the date of the newspaper in which the ad first appeared, it would be much appreciated!

Margaret Ellen Fox
fox_margaret.jpg
margaret_ellen_fox_2.jpg
margaret_ellen_fox_3.jpg

Margaret, circa 1974; Age-progression to age 56 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since 06/24/1974
  • Missing From Burlington, New Jersey
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 02/04/1960 (61)
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'3, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A light blue long-sleeved floral-patterned blouse which was squared at the top and flared at the waist, a black and white or blue and white checkered waist-length jacket, a size 34B brassiere, maroon flared jeans with a yellow patch on one knee, brown sandals with a heel strap, a gold necklace with flowers and a blue stone on it, and a gold charm bracelet with a round blue stone. Carrying a brown bag and an eyeglass case with the Huckleberry Hound design.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Margaret has freckles. At the time of her disappearance, two of her top front right teeth were missing. She wears eyeglasses with hexagonal lenses, gold wire frames and broken-off temple and nose pieces.
Details of Disappearance

Margaret was last seen in Burlington, New Jersey on June 24, 1974. She was planning to go to High and west Broad Streets in Mount Holly, New Jersey to have an interview with a man who called himself John Marshall.

Margaret's younger sister accompanied her to the bus stop and saw her get on. Witnesses reported seeing her near Mill and High Streets after she got off the bus in Mount Holly, but she has never been heard from again.

Margaret had advertised for a babysitting job, and "Marshall" responded to the ad on June 19. He told her he needed a babysitter for the following weekend, but he postponed meeting her several times. Finally he said he would meet her in a red Volkswagen. He gave Margaret a telephone number to reach him; the number was traced to a public phone booth at a supermarket in Lumberton, New Jersey.

In the hours after Margaret was reported missing, police started recording all phone calls placed to her residence. Once was from a man who demanded $10,000 for Margaret's safe return. He stated, "$10,000 might be a lot of bread, but your daughter's life is the buttered topping." This caller has never been identified. You can listen the call here on the FBI website.

Margaret has never been heard from again and "John Marshall" has never been identified. Several other parents in the area complained that someone had attempted to lure their daughters with fake job offers. A suspect's 1976 confession to involvement in her disappearance was widely publicized, but turned out to be a hoax.

Margaret took piano lessons in 1974 and she liked to ride horses. She graduated from St. Paul's Grammar School in Burlington two weeks before she vanished. Her parents are now deceased, but her siblings are still alive, and some still live in the Burlington area. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Burlington City Police Department 609-386-3300
Source Information

margaret-ellen-fox1a-ht-ml-190626_hpMain_v12x5_16x9_992.jpg

Margaret Fox, age 14. Missing since 24 June 1974

Margaret is described as having brown hair and blue eyes. She was a wearing a light blue, long-sleeved, floral shirt, maroon, flared jeans with a yellow patch on one knee, brown sandals with a heel strap, a gold necklace with flowers and a blue stone and a gold charm bracelet with a round blue stone.

She was carrying a brown bag and and a glasses case with the Huckleberry Hound design.

Anyone with information is urged to call the FBI Newark Field Office at (973) 792-3000 or Burlington City Police Department at (609) 386-0262.

LINK:

Chilling ransom call released in 14-year-old girl's decades-old mysterious disappearance

Police thought they might have been be able to solve the case in 1992 when a girl's body was found in the Atlantic Highlands in Monmouth County. But no dental records were available.

In 1992 DNA testing was available. I wonder why that was not explored ? If they know where that girls body is they should be able to do the DNA testing. She has two brothers that are still living.
They can possibly bring closure to the family and the community.

margaret-ellen-fox1a-ht-ml-190626_hpMain_v12x5_16x9_992.jpg

Margaret Fox, age 14. Missing since 24 June 1974

Margaret is described as having brown hair and blue eyes. She was a wearing a light blue, long-sleeved, floral shirt, maroon, flared jeans with a yellow patch on one knee, brown sandals with a heel strap, a gold necklace with flowers and a blue stone and a gold charm bracelet with a round blue stone.

She was carrying a brown bag and and a glasses case with the Huckleberry Hound design.

Anyone with information is urged to call the FBI Newark Field Office at (973) 792-3000 or Burlington City Police Department at (609) 386-0262.

LINK:

Chilling ransom call released in 14-year-old girl's decades-old mysterious disappearance
Listening to that recording. It's eerie. He's obviously a local to the area judging from the accent. From what I've read, the "John Marshall" was the name of the A&P store employee in the shopping center where the payphone was located and that Margaret was to meet him.
So, the abductor had been within eye-shot of the A&P grocery store employee that had an alibi.
What's the link? The store employee was NOT the killer. He had an alibi. So why the coincidence of there being a John Marshall name used?
Let's look at the verbage used in the ransom call.
"$10,000 might be a lot of bread, but your daughter's life is the buttered topping,"
Bread and buttered topping.
Why those words.
So I began thinking of the A&P Grocery Store.
How did he know there was an employee named John Marshall there?
I know in the 70s workers would sometimes wear name tags. What person would have access to HIS name? Who wouldn't be looked at weirdly?
What if there was a BREAD delivery driver that delivered to that A&P parked outfit and then unloaded and had someone sign off on the delivery ticket?
The BREAD guy. Sounds crazy but I looked up Bread bakeries in that area. And there's numerous ones that are within 10 to 25 miles from that store that she went to in Mount Holly.
"$10,000 might be a lot of bread, but your daughter's life is the buttered topping,"
Buttertop bread.
There's a bakery on Google that's in South Burlington New Jersey that's been in business since 1952.
Did the phone ransom guy work there? Did he deliver BREAD to grocery stores in the area?
This DOESN'T stop here.
The fact that Margaret's cousin had also placed an ad and the "John Marshall/ abductor" had called the cousin and rejected her as a candidate for the job to watch "his child" the man was upset about her age being so young. The cousin was 11 years old.
Why did the "John Marshall/abductor" refuse her because of that? Why once he booked Margaret for June 21st and later reschedule it for June 24th due to a "death in his family"
That made me wonder.
He refused the 11 year old cousin and changed the date.
I listened to his voice also. I was thinking there's a reason for EVERY thing that he's done.
Rejecting Margaret's 11 year old cousin as a candidate for the babysitter.
The reason to Did the phone ransom guy work there? Did he deliver BREAD to grocery stores in the area?

Another thing I thought about after hearing that ransom call is this:
The fact that Margaret's cousin had also placed an ad and the "John Marshall/ abductor" had called the cousin and rejected because age was so young at age 11. He had seemed upset about it. The cousin was 11 years old. Why be upset??
Why did the "John Marshall/abductor" refuse her because of that? Why would it matter if you're gong to kill her?
Why once he booked Margaret for June 21st and later reschedule it for June 24th due to a "death in his family" ??
That made me wonder.
I listened to his voice also. I was thinking there's a reason for EVERY thing that he's done. He's NOT HIRING someone, he's SELECTING someone.
1)Rejecting Margaret's 11 year old cousin as a candidate for the babysitter. Why?
2)The reason to reschedule the date from June 19th to June 24th. Why?

I think this is a possibility below:
This might sound crazy but follow me for a minute.
WHY was he reading the classifieds?
Looking for a babysitter, maybe not.
People use classifieds as PERSONAL ads also. They're in the same part of a newspaper. SO I think there was NO child to watch. I think he was shopping. WIFE shopping.
why reject the 11 year old? But NOT reject 14 year old Margaret Fox?
ONE possible reason is that it's against Jewish Talmud law in the Talmud. The 11 year of wasn't able to be wed as a child bride.. The reason I believe this abductor MIGHT be an Orthodox Jewish male. The week of June 19th on the Orthodox Jewish calendar is the week of "Rosh Chodesh Tamuz"
citing: Rosh Chodesh Tamuz 1974 - Start of month of Tamuz on the Hebrew calendar - ראש חודש תמוז - Hebcal
Look at the dates of the scheduled Jun 19th that was later changed to June 24th by the abductor.
Rosh Chodesh Tamuz for the year 1974 is
Wed June 19th until Friday June 21. Those dates are optimal for an Orthodox Jewish wedding due to them being considered very "auspicious" (very favorable and good luck) for a couple to marry so he may have attended a wedding or been in Chabot (Saturday is their Sabbath day) on Saturday.

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY.
the original date of June 19th was changed by the name to June 24th. Which is the day Margaret Fox boarded the local bus for the 7 mile trip.
June 19 is 619 and June 24th is written 624
619 is the area code for San Diego, California
624 is an area code of Mexico and Baja California.
Citing:

After Margaret Ellen Fox vanished, after the ransom phone call, the family received ransom notes that were NEVER published for the public to see.
They included the letters "SLA" in them which people often think is a reference to the February 1974 Patty Hearst kidnapping. Where the letters S.L.A stood for the
"Symbionese Liberation Army" .
I think our abductor read ALOT.
Ironically the Zodiac Killer allegedly had sent a letter to the San Francisco Chronicle on February 14, 1974 explaining the meaning in Norse language of the letters "SLA". the Zodiac letter reads as follows and is in the image below.
It reads:
:"Dear Mr Editor, Did you know that the initials SLA (Symbionese Liberation Army) spell "sla", an old Norse word meaning "kill". a friend".
Citing the article here:
Both have to do with marriage I believe.
The abduction of Margaret Ellen Fox and the Patty Hearst incident. Perhaps the abductor was so socially awkward he saw the Patty Hearst kidnapping as a means to obtain a spouse. He WAS, in fact, actually TROLLING the classifieds searching for a female victim.
One that met certain criteria.
I think he read about the Patty Hearst kidnapping in Feb and decided to be a copycat and do the same.
He Even followed it up with the ransom call and ransom letters alluding to the SLA.
I think he was a white male, who lived alone and was socially awkward. A fly on the wall type. One that wouldn't get a second look from a female.
He in the followup letters asked for the money to be wrappped in a box with a blue bow, the color of Margaret's blouse and that "THEY" hadn't hurt her and had broken her glasses. Many parallels with the Patty Hearst kidnapping except Patty was found alive.
VERY informative video here:

The town of Mount Holly, New Jersey on 2021 only had a population of 9536 people
Citing:
and Burlington, New Jersey in the 1970s has only about 10,000 people in the time she went missing.
Citing:
Those are VERY small towns. In a town that size, everyone knows everyone else. 7 miles away the same (Mount Holly).
I find many things strange in this case. The fact that the abductor DIDN'T just drive up to the house and pick her up.
He could very well have picked her up and never went back. But he chose the A&P location. I find it odd that he chose the babysitting gig for the morning. Possibly when Margaret's father was working and the mother was busy.
Did he know the house's schedule of comings and goings? The father spoke to the abductor on the phone it says to get a feel of what she was getting into.
He felt it wasn't a threat. But now I wonder if the abductor disguised his voice and knew the father's psychological red flags.
This abductor was hell-bent on it being in another town and during work hours. That should've been the FIRST red-flag that he wasn't working that day.
It says in that video that Margaret Ellen Fox has recently taken up piano lessons and was learning how to ride horses.
Was this an piano or horse-riding instructor that had developed another type of unhealthy attachment to her? Both instructions require sometimes the instructor to use their hands to assist you. In piano is to show you proper have technique and positioning. The horse-riding to help her 5'2" frame up into the saddle. Both require hours together.
Were those instructors male or female? A horse-riding instructor WOULDN'T be in town. He'd be in the country areas.
Have they researched that part of the possibility. She may have ran out of money to take both piano and horse-riding and might even told her instructors in piano and horse-riding her plans to go earn money by babysitting and she'd be back. She could've told them she placed the ad in the paper also. But they might've not known that her cousin did also. They called the cousin in error and make an excuse that she's too young then raise the other is Margaret's ad in the paper.
We also have to think that this meeting happened in public. She DIDN'T make a scene or scream from what we know in the supermarket area. I wonder if the last male she was seen talking to in that parking lot of the A&P with the red sportscar was associated with the piano and horse-riding instructor in any way.
I'm thinking it's a firm possibility that the abductor lures her there, makes it look like he didn't show. When the actual person she was talking to was someone she ALREADY knew. Then they offer her a ride home, never to be seen again. For her to NOT make a scene, nor yell makes me think what normally we read in these cases, he offers her a ride.
It would fit.
He didn't show, then acts like he comes out of the store getting some bread,.
Offers her a ride back home and she never returns.
I wonder who the piano and horse-riding instructors were. Horse-riding means he has pasture land. A lot of land. Remote.

This is the location of the A&P grocery store she traveled to. It's the same building. Just used as a car dealership today. That way we can get a visual perspective of the size of the parking lot, distance from the street.

1853 Burlington-Mount Holly Rd
By the way, since Margaret Fox had taken horseback riding lessons BEFORE he disappearance there are 2 horseback riding schools and stables for horses within 7 miles and 15 miles of this location. I DON'T know if this was where she attended lessons, but what if he instructor was a male. What if the whole disappearance were a runaway staged as an abduction/ ransom thing? Who invites someone to bring a bathing suit with them to babysit? How can you babysit and swim at the same time? The red-flags are all over this. Who had a pool in the area?? Did they check into that? Atlantic City BEACH isn't that far away. Did she even take a bathing suit? Could she swim? What is the description of the bathing suit? Any bodies found in a bathing suit within 200 miles? Truth be told, this was school summer break. If he parents were working that morning she could've packed a bag without their knowledge.

Wicked Deeds podcast just released an episode about Margaret's disappearance

Today, we’re going to be discussing the case of a fourteen year old girl who went missing on her way to a babysitting job. Local authorities and the FBI sprang into action almost immediately, nearly certain that the young girl had been abducted. Over the years, there have been plenty of leads for authorities to work but none have panned out. It’s now been 48 years since the girl disappeared and her family deserves to know what happened to her on that fateful day in 1974.

The town of Mount Holly, New Jersey on 2021 only had a population of 9536 people
Citing:
and Burlington, New Jersey in the 1970s has only about 10,000 people in the time she went missing.
Citing:
Those are VERY small towns. In a town that size, everyone knows everyone else. 7 miles away the same (Mount Holly).
I find many things strange in this case. The fact that the abductor DIDN'T just drive up to the house and pick her up.
He could very well have picked her up and never went back. But he chose the A&P location. I find it odd that he chose the babysitting gig for the morning. Possibly when Margaret's father was working and the mother was busy.
Did he know the house's schedule of comings and goings? The father spoke to the abductor on the phone it says to get a feel of what she was getting into.
He felt it wasn't a threat. But now I wonder if the abductor disguised his voice and knew the father's psychological red flags.
This abductor was hell-bent on it being in another town and during work hours. That should've been the FIRST red-flag that he wasn't working that day.
It says in that video that Margaret Ellen Fox has recently taken up piano lessons and was learning how to ride horses.
Was this an piano or horse-riding instructor that had developed another type of unhealthy attachment to her? Both instructions require sometimes the instructor to use their hands to assist you. In piano is to show you proper have technique and positioning. The horse-riding to help her 5'2" frame up into the saddle. Both require hours together.
Were those instructors male or female? A horse-riding instructor WOULDN'T be in town. He'd be in the country areas.
Have they researched that part of the possibility. She may have ran out of money to take both piano and horse-riding and might even told her instructors in piano and horse-riding her plans to go earn money by babysitting and she'd be back. She could've told them she placed the ad in the paper also. But they might've not known that her cousin did also. They called the cousin in error and make an excuse that she's too young then raise the other is Margaret's ad in the paper.
We also have to think that this meeting happened in public. She DIDN'T make a scene or scream from what we know in the supermarket area. I wonder if the last male she was seen talking to in that parking lot of the A&P with the red sportscar was associated with the piano and horse-riding instructor in any way.
I'm thinking it's a firm possibility that the abductor lures her there, makes it look like he didn't show. When the actual person she was talking to was someone she ALREADY knew. Then they offer her a ride home, never to be seen again. For her to NOT make a scene, nor yell makes me think what normally we read in these cases, he offers her a ride.
It would fit.
He didn't show, then acts like he comes out of the store getting some bread,.
Offers her a ride back home and she never returns.
I wonder who the piano and horse-riding instructors were. Horse-riding means he has pasture land. A lot of land. Remote.
Could the person that kidnapped her have had some else call about the ransom? It sounds scripted or like someone is using lines they heard in a movie. The person has a distinct accent that I would think of as north jersey, parts of NY and maybe parts of south Philly. A red sports car should stand out if that was even the car that picked her up. If it was parked waiting or if she was waiting would someone have noticed her or the car?

Sorry, not yet. My husband passed away suddenly in late January and I’ve been dealing with that. The library was closed for awhile due to COVID but is now open— but with restrictions to the microfiche. You have to make an appt for research only. The librarian said restrictions may be easing soon so I’ll check in next few weeks.
Hi there. It has been a while and sorry to bother you! Were you able to get to the article at the library?

In considering specific persons as potential suspects in Margaret's disappearance, it might be worthwhile trying to find the 1974 locations of known pedophiles and child killers who were later arrested for similar crimes.

One such person would be Robert Bowman. In 1967 in Toledo, Ohio he abducted a 14 year old girl named Eileen Adams. He kept her prisoner, alive in a dungeon cell in his basement where he tortured her and eventually murdered her in a most horrifying manner, later dumping her body some miles north in Michigan.

Bowman was married at the time to a woman who eventually came forward (after their separation) in the 1980's to tell what she knew about her husband. Meanwhile, he had moved from state to state. He was eventually located in Florida, arrested, returned to Ohio and convicted of Eileen's murder. The questions remain unanswered: Where did he travel in the intervening 50 years, and who were his victims?

LINK:

May Richard Cottingham be involved in this case?
Since he admitted being responsible for the death of some teenagers, I really think he is a good suspect.
However, he left the bodies of his victims in plain sight... so this would be the only missing victim.

Listening to that recording. It's eerie. He's obviously a local to the area judging from the accent. From what I've read, the "John Marshall" was the name of the A&P store employee in the shopping center where the payphone was located and that Margaret was to meet him.
So, the abductor had been within eye-shot of the A&P grocery store employee that had an alibi.
What's the link? The store employee was NOT the killer. He had an alibi. So why the coincidence of there being a John Marshall name used?
Let's look at the verbage used in the ransom call.
Bread and buttered topping.
Why those words.
So I began thinking of the A&P Grocery Store.
How did he know there was an employee named John Marshall there?
I know in the 70s workers would sometimes wear name tags. What person would have access to HIS name? Who wouldn't be looked at weirdly?
What if there was a BREAD delivery driver that delivered to that A&P parked outfit and then unloaded and had someone sign off on the delivery ticket?
The BREAD guy. Sounds crazy but I looked up Bread bakeries in that area. And there's numerous ones that are within 10 to 25 miles from that store that she went to in Mount Holly.
Buttertop bread.
There's a bakery on Google that's in South Burlington New Jersey that's been in business since 1952.
Did the phone ransom guy work there? Did he deliver BREAD to grocery stores in the area?
This DOESN'T stop here.
The fact that Margaret's cousin had also placed an ad and the "John Marshall/ abductor" had called the cousin and rejected her as a candidate for the job to watch "his child" the man was upset about her age being so young. The cousin was 11 years old.
Why did the "John Marshall/abductor" refuse her because of that? Why once he booked Margaret for June 21st and later reschedule it for June 24th due to a "death in his family"
That made me wonder.
I listened to his voice also. I was thinking there's a reason for EVERY thing that he's done.
Rejecting Margaret's 11 year old cousin as a candidate for the babysitter.
The reason to Did the phone ransom guy work there? Did he deliver BREAD to grocery stores in the area?
I respect you thinking outside the box. Sometimes this is necessary. But it was not the abductor who turned down the offer from Margaret’s younger cousin. Her parents told her she was not allowed to go and she had to turn it down and gave him Margaret’s number. I do not think this was a religious fanatic desperate for a wife. I think it was an experienced sexual sadist.

Police thought they might have been be able to solve the case in 1992 when a girl's body was found in the Atlantic Highlands in Monmouth County. But no dental records were available.

In 1992 DNA testing was available. I wonder why that was not explored ? If they know where that girls body is they should be able to do the DNA testing. She has two brothers that are still living.
They can possibly bring closure to the family and the community.

I’m pretty sure the Atlantic highlands Jane doe has since been identified and was not Margaret

Another thing I thought about after hearing that ransom call is this:
The fact that Margaret's cousin had also placed an ad and the "John Marshall/ abductor" had called the cousin and rejected because age was so young at age 11. He had seemed upset about it. The cousin was 11 years old. Why be upset??
Why did the "John Marshall/abductor" refuse her because of that? Why would it matter if you're gong to kill her?
Why once he booked Margaret for June 21st and later reschedule it for June 24th due to a "death in his family" ??
That made me wonder.
I listened to his voice also. I was thinking there's a reason for EVERY thing that he's done. He's NOT HIRING someone, he's SELECTING someone.
1)Rejecting Margaret's 11 year old cousin as a candidate for the babysitter. Why?
2)The reason to reschedule the date from June 19th to June 24th. Why?

I think this is a possibility below:
This might sound crazy but follow me for a minute.
WHY was he reading the classifieds?
Looking for a babysitter, maybe not.
People use classifieds as PERSONAL ads also. They're in the same part of a newspaper. SO I think there was NO child to watch. I think he was shopping. WIFE shopping.
why reject the 11 year old? But NOT reject 14 year old Margaret Fox?
ONE possible reason is that it's against Jewish Talmud law in the Talmud. The 11 year of wasn't able to be wed as a child bride.. The reason I believe this abductor MIGHT be an Orthodox Jewish male. The week of June 19th on the Orthodox Jewish calendar is the week of "Rosh Chodesh Tamuz"
citing: Rosh Chodesh Tamuz 1974 - Start of month of Tamuz on the Hebrew calendar - ראש חודש תמוז - Hebcal
Look at the dates of the scheduled Jun 19th that was later changed to June 24th by the abductor.
Rosh Chodesh Tamuz for the year 1974 is
Wed June 19th until Friday June 21. Those dates are optimal for an Orthodox Jewish wedding due to them being considered very "auspicious" (very favorable and good luck) for a couple to marry so he may have attended a wedding or been in Chabot (Saturday is their Sabbath day) on Saturday.

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY.
the original date of June 19th was changed by the name to June 24th. Which is the day Margaret Fox boarded the local bus for the 7 mile trip.
June 19 is 619 and June 24th is written 624
619 is the area code for San Diego, California
624 is an area code of Mexico and Baja California.
Citing:
I respect you thinking outside the box and such but, it was not the man who called that rejected Margaret’s cousin, Lynn. Her parents said no to her going to the job, but she passed the number for the Fox household on. I don’t believe this was a religious fanatic as much as it was the work of a sexual sadistic, potentially a serial killer.

When Richard Paul Pavlick was trying to blow up JFK in December 1960, it was special agent John Marshall (head of the Miami secret service) who was the first secret service agent to take seriously the suspicions originating from Belmont, NH, postmaster Thomas Murphy. Marshall it was who issued the BOLO for Pavlick that very well may have stopped JFK from getting killed before taking office. Perhaps Fox's abductor named himself after special agent Marshall, I suppose from contempt for the latter?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back