NJ- School Superintendent blames girl’s family for her suicide after she was beaten by a group of girls in the hallway of her school.

One very telling moment in this particular case was when that teacher saw A being beaten, and turned and closed the door.

RSBM.
Is it possible this was the policy when a teacher sees violence in the hallway, though? Close the door to protect students in the classroom (in case a weapon comes out in the fight, etc), call security (we don't know if she called security, but what if she did?). We need to hear from that teacher. We need to know if she took action. Maybe that teacher is there teaching because she actually cares very much about making a difference for the students she can.

RSBM.
Is it possible this was the policy when a teacher sees violence in the hallway, though? Close the door to protect students in the classroom (in case a weapon comes out in the fight, etc), call security (we don't know if she called security, but what if she did?). We need to hear from that teacher. We need to know if she took action. Maybe that teacher is there teaching because she actually cares very much about making a difference for the students she can.
Your point is well taken.

I will admit to being influenced by social media posts, some of which claim to be from other bullied former students at that school or their parent. There’s too many of them. If these posts are truthful, there seems to be a very high level of tolerance for bullying behavior…even as we see, to the point of ignoring violence.

After reading those posts, when one sees that teacher shut her door…and A is left helpless and on her own….it is infuriating. It looks like verification of the ‘culture’ decried by the other victims. But it may br quite different. I’m sure all will come out in the upcoming investigation and lawsuits.

But maybe the teacher is also trapped, trapped in a system with poor leadership and no support. Certainly, this Supt seems like someone totally unfit to have the safety of children in his hands. Morally unfit as well.

Then there is the principal. The fact that the bullies were allegedly not ‘first offenders”, her silly suspensions are a joke to all involved. It just demonstrates to the bullies that they can come back to school and beat on anyone they choose. They probably enjoy getting ‘suspension vacations.” These kids aren’t exactly motivated to excel to a better life. Bullying gives them swagger not passing the math exam.

When did principals become blasé about beatings?

Apparently there is going to be some sort of investigation into past incidents by the State and how they were handled by all involved. I would assume that teacher, the principal, etc will all be given a chance to explain. I’m sure they will all be named in lawsuits as well… plus some of the other bullied students claim to be lawyering up as well.

Too bad a child had to die to shine a light on this situation. No one is going to be blasé about bullying at that school for the immediate future.

This makes me SOOOOO angry. Its what happens when there is no accountability, no discipline and no boundaries set. Sure, there were always bullies, but I don't remember kids killing themselves or becoming vegetables from beatings. Something is seriously wrong in society. I just don't see how kids like this somehow become functioning members of society. I'd call them animals, but that's an insult to animals. And the superintendent blames her parents??? Wonder if he'd feel the same if were his daughter. We need more people to stand up for what's right, because it's right, instead of taking the easy way out. 1 last thought...the people taking videos of these beatings and not doing anything should also be held accountable.

Thanks for the add, btw!

Former teachers and students speak out…

What happened at Adriana Kuch and Central Regional High School is a pattern I have seen in the past. It reminds me to what happened Phoebe Prince at South Hadley. They knew there was bullying going on and did nothing about it.

The same pattern I have seen with Penn State, BBC, USA Gymnastics, Celtic Boys Club, Agape Boarding School, and Thatcher School. They swept it under the rug and only did way more damage.

I wonder what kind of upbringing the bullies that attacked Adriana Kuch.

A victim should not be in charge of determining the punishment for their abuse. The school should have taken that burden off her shoulders and called police. It was assault, not bullying. The police should have come down on the four perps swiftly. The school should have sent a warning shot over to all parents that hands on assault will not be tolerated. In my opinion

In addition this was not a “fight”. A fight involves two willing participants. This was a premeditated attack where the victim wasn’t given the opportunity to just walk away. The “bullying” ended when the attack happened. At that point forward, everything that happened was a one sided, full on attack and harassment. In my opinion

In addition this was not a “fight”. A fight involves two willing participants. This was a premeditated attack where the victim wasn’t given the opportunity to just walk away. The “bullying” ended when the attack happened. At that point forward, everything that happened was a one sided, full on attack and harassment. In my opinion
Emphasis mine.
Very well said.
Thank you.

IMHO What is up with young people (many times girls) beating up some one and videoing it???? I admit I am older but bulling was not a big thing when I went to school. If there was a bully, others stepped in and said something to stop it. That would probably be dangerous now. Maybe it is just me but I find this level of bullying over the top and beyond disturbing.
I am not a school administrator nor a teacher but it seems that more could and should have been done for poor Adriana and the abuse and suffering she endured at the hands of these "mean girls". NO ONE HELPED! Now I am angry!

IMHO What is up with young people (many times girls) beating up some one and videoing it???? I admit I am older but bulling was not a big thing when I went to school. If there was a bully, others stepped in and said something to stop it. That would probably be dangerous now. Maybe it is just me but I find this level of bullying over the top and beyond disturbing.
I am not a school administrator nor a teacher but it seems that more could and should have been done for poor Adriana and the abuse and suffering she endured at the hands of these "mean girls". NO ONE HELPED! Now I am angry!

Other kids record it to post it online for likes. Sometimes, that's part of the plan, IMO. They plan the attack solely to post it on social media.

Frankly, I think even if they didn't lay hands on the victim, any kid posting an assault should be charged as accessory to the assault and we've long passed the time when criminal charges should be filed for all. A message needs to be sent loud and clear to all youth that if you want to behave like an animal, you will be yanked out of school and face a judge. A 3-day suspension is not a deterrent.

MOO.

Other kids record it to post it online for likes. Sometimes, that's part of the plan, IMO. They plan the attack solely to post it on social media.

Frankly, I think even if they didn't lay hands on the victim, any kid posting an assault should be charged as accessory to the assault and we've long passed the time when criminal charges should be filed for all. A message needs to be sent loud and clear to all youth that if you want to behave like an animal, you will be yanked out of school and face a judge. A 3-day suspension is not a deterrent.

MOO.
A three day suspension is a badge of honor to them.

Appreciate the discussion here, wish it was enough... I don't even know what to add, seems we all feel defeated and that the task is Hurculean. I love seeing the words responsibility, accountability, and consequences repeated. Where have those concepts gone the last 50 years? It is all ME ME ME, look at ME, without regard for anyone else. All thanks to SM. IMO.

I agree with you. There's a vast difference between a fight and an assault. This was an assault.

<modsnip referenced post was removed>

This is about social media and a generation of kids being raised addicted to likes. When online videos act as babysitter and nanny, of course the kids are going to grow up craving anything that gets them attention. It's the new child beauty pageant, only to win the crown, other people have to get hurt, exploited, or harassed.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - referenced post was removed>

This is about social media and a generation of kids being raised addicted to likes. When online videos act as babysitter and nanny, of course the kids are going to grow up craving anything that gets them attention. It's the new child beauty pageant, only to win the crown, other people have to get hurt, exploited, or harassed.

<modsnip - referenced post was removed> I agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip referenced post was removed>

Totally agree. Even adults are… my friend’s in their 40’s are. I am not on social media anymore because it’s just so unhealthy that way.

Totally agree. Even adults are… my friend’s in their 40’s are. I am not on social media anymore because it’s just so unhealthy that way.
In modern society those that do not use social media will fall behind and not thrive.
IMO it's like the invention of the internet and cell phone. It became a necessity for modern living and business.
Maybe boomers can get away with it now, but every generation going forward will utilize these things as normal as lightbulbs

I can tell you from our situation that the blasé attitude in certain schools and reluctance to get involved is easily recognizable by the Bully and by his target. The Bully knows that at school his victim is helpless and trapped and that he will get no more than a “Now…be nice”. The victim knows he is desparstely on his own.

Everyone wants just to avoid blame. This Supt. Is the patron Saint of that attitude. Shut the door, not my problem, kids will be kids.

To begin with, get the phones out of the schools. Hand them (n on arrival. ALL of them! Secondly, have a step plan that begins with counseling…to suspension…to police report. No tolerance.

As a society, we have to provide for some sort of justice when social media is weaponized. It cant just be ignored.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back