NJ NJ - Siegfried Woelki, 30, Hackettstown, 4 Oct 1982

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1205DMNJ

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1205dmnj.html

Siegfried Woelki
Missing since October 4, 1982 from Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey.
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8" - 6'0"; 175 - 195 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; gray eyes. Wears glasses.
•Marks, Scars, Tattoos: None listed
•Nickname: Sig
•Dentals: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mr. Woelki was last see at a Krauser's food store in Hackettstown on October 4, 1982, at 17.50. He spoke with a friend employed there and stated that he had some business to attend to and would be back at his apartment in a few hours.

Between 20.00 and 21:00 he spoke to his father on the telephone. During the conversation, he mentioned he was calling from the North Jersey Packing House, located in Long Valley, where he was employed as a part-time butcher. He asked his father to meet him there at 18.00 the following evening to help him wrap some meet.

On October 5 at approximate 17.15, the owner of the business arrived and noticed Mr. Woelki's vehicle parked in the lot. The car was unlocked, and the driver's window was half way down. He noticed the glove compartment door was open, and he knew that was where Mr. Woelki kept the keys for the Packing House. He checked the building and found it locked securely with the burglar alarm set. Neither the vehicle keys or the Packing House keys were ever found.

The police were called and conducted an investigation which revealed no sign of a struggle in or around the vehicle or in the Packing House. An extensive search of both the business property and grounds, and Mr. Woelki's apartment did not reveal any solid evidence or clues to his whereabouts. The investigation continued and interviews were conducted in the weeks and months ahead.

Woelki lived with his girlfriend in an apartment in Towpath Apartments in Hackettstown. He used to be a wrestler in college.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Washington Township Police Department
Detective Sergeant Pellegrino
908-876-3232

Agency Case Number: 90124

NCIC Number: M-435366659
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Washington Township Police Department

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/woelki_siegfried.html

Not found to be listed in NamUs at this time.

No archived articles available at this time.

Seigfried has been missing almost 28 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• Siegfried Woelki.bmp
    56.9 KB · Views: 19
I live near all of the locations mentioned in the report which is why I started looking at this case. I wonder if this match has been suggested ?http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/136umnj.html

The height, weight are close and age is in range. One thing that stands out to me is the coat Refrig. wear I believe is a common brand for colder climate industrial applications( meat packing?).

Estimate date of death is off but cold water may have made that estimate more difficult.

PLease ignore my last post. I just reread the circumstances surrounding the UID and missed the part about the stock exchange page from Nov. 1985. I guess that would rule it out. It is not impossible but would be highly unlikely.

Sounds like a prearranged meeting of some kind that went very very wrong.

Just found this message on another forum, it appears to be from a sibling of Woelki's:

"My brother, Siegfried, disappeared under rather mysterious circumstances over 20 years ago. To date no one has discovered why...where... how come? Our parents are both still alive, and my brothers and I have decided a long time ago not to give them any bad news about Sig's disappearance due to their advanced age and frail health. If some good news were to come about through additional investigations and follow-up to the original case, I would be on the next plane to give my parents the news in person. I know that there are parties out there who know what happened and/or who was involved in Sig's disappearance but they won't tell. I just pray that after all this time anyone with any kind of lead or information contact the Washington Twp. Police Department. Please let us put our brother to rest."

-----
and another description of what happened:

It has been nearly 22 years since anyone has seen or heard from Mr. Siegfried Woelki, a part time butcher who was employed at the North Jersey Packing House, formerly located on Bartley Road, Long Valley, New Jersey. This business was a slaughterhouse, which operated on a part time basis, and principally served local farmers. Mr. Woelki was a thirty one year old single white male, who lived alone at his apartment in Mansfield Village in Hackettstown.

Woelki was last seen at a Krauser's food store in Hackettstown on Monday, October 4, 1982, at about 5:30 in the evening. He spoke with a friend who was employed at Krauser's that evening and mentioned he "had some business to attend to" and "would be back at his apartment in a few hours".

Between 8:00 and 9:00 PM he spoke to his father on the telephone. During the conversation, he mentioned he was calling from the Packing House and asked his father if he could meet him there the following evening at 6:00 PM, to help him wrap some meat. His agreed to meet him the following evening. His father described his son's demeanor as normal

The following evening, the owner of the business, Brent Seugling, arrived at the Packing House around 5:15 PM, to do some paperwork. Upon his arrival, he noticed Siegfried Woelki' s vehicle parked in the parking lot. The car was unlocked, and the driver's window was half way down. Seugling noticed the glove compartment's door was open, and Seugling knew that was where Siegfried kept the keys to the Packing House. Neither the vehicle's keys nor the Packing House keys were ever found. Seugling checked the building and found it locked securely. The burglar alarm was set. A short time later, Siegfried's father arrived, as previously planned, as well as some concerned friends of Woelki.

The Washington Township Police were called at 8:00 PM. and arrived shortly. The investigation revealed no sign of a struggle in or around his vehicle, or in the Packing House. The Police conducted an extensive search of the Packing House property and grounds with negative results. Siegfried's apartment was searched, but the search did not reveal any solid evidence or clues of his whereabouts.

The investigation continued and interviews were conducted in the weeks and months that followed the initial report. Theories on this case range from "voluntarily missing" to "murdered'. None of the theories could be proved or disproved. Siegfried Woelki is still entered in the National Computer Information Center (NCIC) as a missing person and the case is currently being investigated.

Anyone with information should contact Detective Sergeant Michael Pellegrino of the Washington Township Police Department at 908-876-3232, or e-mail at mpellegrino@wtpdmorris.org. You may also contact the Morris County Prosecutor's Office at 973-285-6200 or the Morris County Sheriff's Office Crime Stoppers at (973) COP*CALL

Though this one says he was single, so no girlfriend? The poor family!

Siegfried is listed in NamUs now.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/27242
Case Information
Status Missing
First name Siegfried
Middle name
Last name Woelki
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen October 04, 1982 00:00
Date entered 12/31/2014
Age last seen 31 to 31 years old
Age now 64 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height (inches) 73.0
Weight (pounds) 200.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

I just want to bump this case. There is not much information anywhere that I have been able to find.

I live near what was once the meat packing plant but is now a park. Even today, with alot of developement having occured, the location is still well off any beaten paths. Back then it appear to be a pretty remote location. Doesn't appear to be somewhere that one would randomly encounter a strange person. Given that it seems he had locked up for the night and was ready to go home, it seems likely the person knew he was there and was waiting for him to come out of the facility.

Seems like his DNA would have revealed any possible hits by now.

I just want to bump this case. There is not much information anywhere that I have been able to find.

I live near what was once the meat packing plant but is now a park. Even today, with alot of developement having occured, the location is still well off any beaten paths. Back then it appear to be a pretty remote location. Doesn't appear to be somewhere that one would randomly encounter a strange person. Given that it seems he had locked up for the night and was ready to go home, it seems likely the person knew he was there and was waiting for him to come out of the facility.

Seems like his DNA would have revealed any possible hits by now.

I’m happy to see this is on websleuths. I’ve always wondered about this case. So strange. I’m also familiar with the area and as you probably know, it’s not exactly a high crime area. It’s not close to major highways or anything. Growing up, people referred to it as “Happy Valley” or, less endearingly, said it was like living in a bubble. That’s not to say crime can’t happen anywhere, but something like this is certainly odd. I feel so bad for his family-especially his parents.

I just wonder why his keys were taken out of the glove box. The glove box was left open too. Did he grab his keys (his father said he kept them in the glove box), not bothering to close the glove compartment because he thought he’d only be a minute?

Do you know if they have his DNA for sure?

I’m happy to see this is on websleuths. I’ve always wondered about this case. So strange. I’m also familiar with the area and as you probably know, it’s not exactly a high crime area. It’s not close to major highways or anything. Growing up, people referred to it as “Happy Valley” or, less endearingly, said it was like living in a bubble. That’s not to say crime can’t happen anywhere, but something like this is certainly odd. I feel so bad for his family-especially his parents.

I just wonder why his keys were taken out of the glove box. The glove box was left open too. Did he grab his keys (his father said he kept them in the glove box), not bothering to close the glove compartment because he thought he’d only be a minute?

Do you know if they have his DNA for sure?

I will check on the DNA. I believe that NAMUS stated that his DNA was on file. I agree, this area is definitely not high crime and the area was fairly remote at the time. Looking at aerial photos from the time , the meat packing plant seemed kinda out in the woods. Definitely would not be a place that you would expect a crime of opportunity. The whole situation is weird. The building is locked, the keys are missing and if I recall the car window was part way down. It seems as if someone approached him as he was sitting in the car ( hence the window being down). I am curious at to how burglar alarms functioned in the early 80's. Could anyone set the alarm on the way out of the building, or did it require a code etc.? My initial thought was that he went back into the packing house with whomever he encountered outside. but, that person would have had to reset the alarm.

Bumping for Siegfried as we approach the 40th anniversary of his disappearance...

• siegfried_woelki_1.jpg
  • siegfried_woelki_2.jpg
Woelki, circa 1982

<<The North Jersey Packing House was demolished after 1982 to make room for Palmer Park. As it was being torn down construction workers kept a close watch for any human remains, but found nothing. Woelki's case remains unsolved.>>

Feb 16, 2023 archived article, updated Aug 29, 2023 Observer- Tribune (very good article)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back