NM NM - Anthonette Cayedito, 9, Gallup, 6 Apr1986

I am fairly certain the child who called 911, was not Anthonette. There have been numerous instances where a child disappears, and the case gains publicity. This leads to people playing cruel hoaxes to the family or police, mainly for attention. There is no way the girl in the restaurant is Anthonette.

I have researched this case, and from what insiders are saying is that the mother may have had something to do with Anthonette's disappearance. She failed a lie detector test, and also bought an expensive sports car a week after the child's abduction. Since the family came from a very improvised area of the city, and the mother would never have been able to afford such a nice car on her salary, this raised suspicion from detectives. The mother also contradicted herself numerous times, in statements to the police.

Finally, when detectives found out that Anthonette's mother was dying, they tried to interview her, hoping to get a "death bed confession." It was too late, as the mother passed away rather quickly in the hospital in 1999. Why would the police visit the mother in the hospital, if they didn't think it was an inside job? I think the detectives working on the case realized that the mother knew Anthonette's abductor, and did not want her to take it to her grave.

I had no idea her mother passed away. Do police think she sold Anthonette? The reason I ask is because you say she bought a sports car a week after Anthonette disappeared. Where else would the money come from? If she did sell Anthonette, it's possible she's still alive.

This case really haunts me. I have read as much as I can about it online, and there really isn't much information outside of what was aired on Unsolved Mysteries. Its such a sad case. There are many possibilities here. Many believe that Anthonette was taken by someone who knew the family, because someone allegedly knocked on the door in the middle of the night claiming to be an Uncle. It is also very suspicious that the mother bought a brand new car paid for in full in the weeks following the disappearance-if that is indeed the truth.
If you watch the UM episode, they play the actual 911 call that came from a girl claiming to be Anthonette. To my ear, it is a very frightening and chilling phone call. You can look it up on YouTube. It sounds very much like a little girl, and the way she says her name in a very rushed way with the accent seems very authentic. Again, this is to my own ear, others may feel differently, but I cannot take that call as a hoax. If you listen to it, it will send shivers down your spine.
It's hard to believe in all of this time nobody has talked. Someone needs to have a conscience and speak up. Somebody knows something. According to what I read on another board, after Penny Cayedito passed away, the FBI closed the case, but it is still open with the Gallup PD. Not sure if any of that can be verified.

I remember seeing this case on Unsolved Mysteries, sometime around Christmas, when I was either 11 or 12. It absolutely freaked me out, then.

The more I read about her and her family, the more I think that the family probably had to be involved in some capacity, and that the "3am kidnapping story" sounded like a cover-up...

This thread is the first place I've ever heard anything about her mother buying a new car right after her disappearance, though...

Is that a rumor, or is it something that was found out through research?

Also, I wonder where her father is? Was he living at the time? Was he ever involved in the girls' lives?

Is it possible that he came and got her, and raised her elsewhere?

Here is an article from the local newspaper about Anthonette's disappearance in 2010:

Where is Anthonette?; Kidnapped from home 24 years ago, no sign
May 17, 2010 at 9:06am
By Joseph J. Kolb
The Gallup Herald

GALLUP — Most nine-year-olds enjoy a life of play, the love of parents, and safety in their own home. In 1986 Anthonette Cayedito had none of these and now her life has been relegated to a large cardboard box numbered 00006-86 filled with photos, interview documents, and dead-end clues on a remote shelf at Gallup Police Headquarters.

Sometime between the hours of 3 a.m.-7 a.m. on April 7, 1986, Anthonette was kidnapped from her home at 204 Arnold Street, Apartment #9, by two men who dragged her to a brown van parked in front of the house.

“We haven’t had anything on this case for almost 10 years since the mother died,” said Deputy Chief of Police John Allen. “We’ve had several detectives look at this case over the years but haven’t been able to come up with anything new.”

On the darker side of Anthonette’s life, she and her two sisters were frequently left alone with a babysitter by their mother Penny, who often frequented the bars along Highway 66. She had been out at the Talk of the Town Bar until after midnight the night her daughter was abducted.

There was also speculation that both Penny and Anthonette’s biological father, Larry Estrada, were involved with drugs.

“A neighbor said it wasn’t unusual for Penny to have people visit all hours of the night,” said Allen as he reviewed the yellowing reports.

During the early stages of the investigation, according to Allen, there was a group of suspects that included two known sex offenders, but none panned out as credible suspects.

Around midnight of the kidnapping, Penny returned home after leaving her three young daughters with a babysitter. She told investigators that she allowed the children to stay up and play until 3 a.m. Penny said Anthonette slept in her bed with her but wasn’t there when she went to wake the girls at 7 a.m. for Bible School. She never reported hearing the knock on the door that her daughter answered. It wasn’t until she woke up at 7 a.m., did Penny notice Anthonette missing.

She initially thought Anthonette had gone looking for a neighbor’s dog that had been missing.

After calling her repeatedly panic set in. She and the neighbors began scouring the nearby hills and around the housing complex to no avail.

The case went cold, despite a three day search, from the beginning.

A week after her daughter went missing Penny turned to a Navajo Medicine Woman who performed the Crystal Ceremony where she contacted the spirit of a missing person. She told Penny that Anthonette may be alive and have a child but is being threatened if she leaves. There was the startling revelation that Anthonette was taken by someone she knew.

The circumstances of the kidnapping didn’t actually surface until four years later when Cayedito’s younger sister, Wendy, who was five-years-old at the time, told Gallup Police Department Detective Marty Esquibel and FBI agent Kevin Miles that her sister answered a knock at the door by a man identifying herself as “Uncle Joe.” Wendy told Esquibel and Miles that she didn’t say anything because of how upset her mother, Penny, was. The “Uncle Joe” lead proved to be a dead-end.

Years after he left the police department Esquibel said he had his suspicions about what had happened.

“I’m pretty confident Penny had knowledge of who took Anthonette based on her failing a polygraph test administered by the FBI,” said Esquibel recently which coincides with the medicine woman’s spiritual hypothesis.

Despite the failed polygraph the District Attorney’s office never pursued any charges against Penny

A significant break came seven months later when the Gallup Police dispatch received a call from a girl identifying herself as Anthonette as being in Albuquerque. After a brief exchange with the dispatcher a voice could be heard in the background then the girl screamed. Esquibel and Miles brought the tape to Penny who confirmed it was his daughter.

“I listened to that tape over and over and just got chills,” said Penny during a 1992 episode of the television show Unsolved Mysteries which profiled the case.

Just as abruptly as hope emerged, it disappeared for four years.

At a diner in Carson City, Nev., a young girl, around the age Anthonette would have been at the time, was eating with an unkempt man and woman. She repeatedly attempted to get the waitress’s attention. When the trio left and the waitress was cleaning the table she found a note pleading her for help and to call the police. By the time she found the note the trio was long gone.

Over the years there have been sporadic reports of someone fitting the description of Anthonette being seen from Canada to New York, to Texas.

There was little to no tangible evidence left at the scene. There were no DNA samples taken because the technology did not exist at the time. Samples were later taken from family members when technology caught up with the case but it was of no help.

While the case became a dark memory for Gallup and her classmates from Lincoln Elementary
School moved or started families of their own, the FBI went to question Penny on her deathbed in Tucson, Ariz., but arrived too late. She had died.

According to Special Agent Steve Marshall, spokesman, FBI’s Albuquerque Field Office, the case was closed in June 2006, after endless leads led to more endless leads.

“This case was very weird,” said Marshall who would not speculate on suspects or what happened to Anthonette.

The Gallup Police still consider the case open but as the years pass the white cardboard box is beginning to take on a beige appearance of age.

“I don’t know but at this point the statistics of such cases would lead us to believe she is dead,” said Allen. “But we just don’t know.”

Esquibel said Anthonette’s chances may have been better had their been the Amber Alert System in place.

“Back then we had to wait 24 hours before considering a child missing,” he said.
Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Anthonette Cayedito, who would now be 34-years-old, should call the Gallup Police Department at 505-863-9365.

Here is a post made by someone on another forum. The reason I am bringing attention to it, is I believe it to be true. Most of the things the author says checked out to be true. The fact that this post is from over a year before the article in the Gallup newspaper gives it additional credibility:

There is another theory local authorities thought of but could not quite prove as the stories gathered centered around the immediate family. This thread is quite interesting and it has some good points.

I'm not too sure how to say the whole thing but it mainly focuses on the mother as being the one directly involved. The neighborhood in which this family resided is considered very low income, within city limits, and on one of the main roads in the city. Approximately a week after this abduction occured, the mother acquired a brand new vehicle that was well beyond her income capabilities. If my child was abducted, having a new ride would be the last thing on my mind.

Also, the mother's behavior after this abduction wasn't 'normal' for someone who was grieving. I don't remember details but it was along the lines that she had a carefree attitude as if she knew her daughter was ok. A theory that wasn't really emphasized due to the limited resources of people to interview, was that the mother arranged for her daughter to be 'married' off (illegally of course) in exchange for money (and how she got her vehicle).

Taking that into mind, the mother and the other party conspired the kidnapping to make her disappearance more legit. Its a huge possibilty she made sure her daughter was awake enough to hear the knock on the door and knowing she would answer it had she believed it was her uncle. And while this event happened, the mother kept quiet in the room but didnt anticipate that Wendy (the sister) witnessed this situation (if she even did to begin with). I say this only because I knew Wendy as a child and she was no angel, not even close. She was in constant trouble, a well known liar, and a bully. There's a possibility that her behavior was the result of years of instilled fear from her mother in regards to 'witnessing' this kidnapping.

If the mother is involved, that would explain the daughter's reluctance to runaway and seek help, knowing that her mother is the one involved with her departure. The phone call a year later could also be a ploy to keep up with the story of kidnapping and keep the mother clear. If you take Lori Hacking's husband as an example, he was involved with the search for his own wife and in the end, he was the one who killed her. He even went on national television pleading for her return. If this happened recently, what makes you think it didn't go on back then when she was kidnapped?

----

On another post, the author take the time to mention the car was not a gift or for charitable purposes. It was paid in full. Penny apparently gave conflicting stories as to where the car came from, and how she could afford such a nice car, considering she lived in the most impoverished neighborhood in the city. From what the author states, Wendy is not reliable at all. If you compound that with the fact that she is completely estranged with her other sister (who apparently knows more about the case), and the author's suggestion that Wendy was not a good person, it's very hard to believe that she would just reveal the "Uncle Joe" tip years after the abduction. My personal belief is either she made it up, or more likely, was coached by Penny to divert suspicion off of her.

The author also makes an interesting point about the phone call. He says "why would Anthonette call the Gallop Police Department, when she was in Albuquerque, considering it was hundreds of miles away, and Albuquerque is a large city, that had better emergency services." I agree with the author, that the 911 call to the Gallop Police was just an attempt to throw off investigators, from their suspicions of Penny.

Bumping for anthonette. This case has always disturbed me, I believe she is still alive. Perhaps human trafficking, not a crime of opportunity anyway.

I do too. If Anthronette is still alive, I hope she was sold to a loving family who couldn't conceive a child for whatever reason. The sighting of her at the restaurant seems to suggest she was apart of a family. But against her will.

Very interesting...sounds like the authorities know basically what happened but can't prove it or trace Anthonette. Sad...I hope she is alive, grown somewhere, and happy.

Here is an article from the local newspaper about Anthonette's disappearance in 2010:

Where is Anthonette?; Kidnapped from home 24 years ago, no sign
May 17, 2010 at 9:06am
By Joseph J. Kolb
The Gallup Herald

GALLUP — Most nine-year-olds enjoy a life of play, the love of parents, and safety in their own home. In 1986 Anthonette Cayedito had none of these and now her life has been relegated to a large cardboard box numbered 00006-86 filled with photos, interview documents, and dead-end clues on a remote shelf at Gallup Police Headquarters.

Sometime between the hours of 3 a.m.-7 a.m. on April 7, 1986, Anthonette was kidnapped from her home at 204 Arnold Street, Apartment #9, by two men who dragged her to a brown van parked in front of the house.

“We haven’t had anything on this case for almost 10 years since the mother died,” said Deputy Chief of Police John Allen. “We’ve had several detectives look at this case over the years but haven’t been able to come up with anything new.”

On the darker side of Anthonette’s life, she and her two sisters were frequently left alone with a babysitter by their mother Penny, who often frequented the bars along Highway 66. She had been out at the Talk of the Town Bar until after midnight the night her daughter was abducted.

There was also speculation that both Penny and Anthonette’s biological father, Larry Estrada, were involved with drugs.

“A neighbor said it wasn’t unusual for Penny to have people visit all hours of the night,” said Allen as he reviewed the yellowing reports.

During the early stages of the investigation, according to Allen, there was a group of suspects that included two known sex offenders, but none panned out as credible suspects.

Around midnight of the kidnapping, Penny returned home after leaving her three young daughters with a babysitter. She told investigators that she allowed the children to stay up and play until 3 a.m. Penny said Anthonette slept in her bed with her but wasn’t there when she went to wake the girls at 7 a.m. for Bible School. She never reported hearing the knock on the door that her daughter answered. It wasn’t until she woke up at 7 a.m., did Penny notice Anthonette missing.

She initially thought Anthonette had gone looking for a neighbor’s dog that had been missing.

After calling her repeatedly panic set in. She and the neighbors began scouring the nearby hills and around the housing complex to no avail.

The case went cold, despite a three day search, from the beginning.

A week after her daughter went missing Penny turned to a Navajo Medicine Woman who performed the Crystal Ceremony where she contacted the spirit of a missing person. She told Penny that Anthonette may be alive and have a child but is being threatened if she leaves. There was the startling revelation that Anthonette was taken by someone she knew.

The circumstances of the kidnapping didn’t actually surface until four years later when Cayedito’s younger sister, Wendy, who was five-years-old at the time, told Gallup Police Department Detective Marty Esquibel and FBI agent Kevin Miles that her sister answered a knock at the door by a man identifying herself as “Uncle Joe.” Wendy told Esquibel and Miles that she didn’t say anything because of how upset her mother, Penny, was. The “Uncle Joe” lead proved to be a dead-end.

Years after he left the police department Esquibel said he had his suspicions about what had happened.

“I’m pretty confident Penny had knowledge of who took Anthonette based on her failing a polygraph test administered by the FBI,” said Esquibel recently which coincides with the medicine woman’s spiritual hypothesis.

Despite the failed polygraph the District Attorney’s office never pursued any charges against Penny

A significant break came seven months later when the Gallup Police dispatch received a call from a girl identifying herself as Anthonette as being in Albuquerque. After a brief exchange with the dispatcher a voice could be heard in the background then the girl screamed. Esquibel and Miles brought the tape to Penny who confirmed it was his daughter.

“I listened to that tape over and over and just got chills,” said Penny during a 1992 episode of the television show Unsolved Mysteries which profiled the case.

Just as abruptly as hope emerged, it disappeared for four years.

At a diner in Carson City, Nev., a young girl, around the age Anthonette would have been at the time, was eating with an unkempt man and woman. She repeatedly attempted to get the waitress’s attention. When the trio left and the waitress was cleaning the table she found a note pleading her for help and to call the police. By the time she found the note the trio was long gone.

Over the years there have been sporadic reports of someone fitting the description of Anthonette being seen from Canada to New York, to Texas.

There was little to no tangible evidence left at the scene. There were no DNA samples taken because the technology did not exist at the time. Samples were later taken from family members when technology caught up with the case but it was of no help.

While the case became a dark memory for Gallup and her classmates from Lincoln Elementary
School moved or started families of their own, the FBI went to question Penny on her deathbed in Tucson, Ariz., but arrived too late. She had died.

According to Special Agent Steve Marshall, spokesman, FBI’s Albuquerque Field Office, the case was closed in June 2006, after endless leads led to more endless leads.

“This case was very weird,” said Marshall who would not speculate on suspects or what happened to Anthonette.

The Gallup Police still consider the case open but as the years pass the white cardboard box is beginning to take on a beige appearance of age.

“I don’t know but at this point the statistics of such cases would lead us to believe she is dead,” said Allen. “But we just don’t know.”

Esquibel said Anthonette’s chances may have been better had their been the Amber Alert System in place.

“Back then we had to wait 24 hours before considering a child missing,” he said.
Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Anthonette Cayedito, who would now be 34-years-old, should call the Gallup Police Department at 505-863-9365.

http://www.abqjournal.com/752146/ne...girl-who-vanished-in-gallup-30-years-ago.html

Holding out hope for girl who vanished 30 years ago, April 6th, 2016

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — She was 9, but already she had assumed much of the responsibilities of caring for her two younger sisters.

“The story I always heard was that Anthonette was like our mommy,” recalls Wendy Montoya, the youngest sister. “She made sure all our clothes were ironed for the week, made sure we were fed and the house was clean. When our mom went out, we usually had adult supervision, but a majority of times it was my sister helping the baby sitter take care of us.”

Cold Case Spotlight

31 Years Ago, Anthonette Cayedito Disappeared

Someone knocked on the Cayedito's apartment door in the middle of the night.

Nine-year-old Anthonette Cayedito went to answer it. Who the visitor was is unclear, but authorities believe the visitor took Anthonette that night.

And more than 31 years later, Anthonette remains missing.

"It just broke my whole family up," Wendy Montoya, one of Anthonette's younger sisters, told the Albuquerque Journal last year. "It was a very dark and dysfunctional time."

Anthonette's case remains open, the files kept in a box at the Gallup Police Department. A spokesperson for the department told Dateline there have not been very many tips in recent years. But every time a new detective joins the team, the case gets a fresh set of eyes to look at it.

This is my pet case. It has bothered me since I first saw Anthonette featured on UM. I can't believe there hasn't been some kind of break in this case. I am interested in what type of information/involvement LE think Penny had in Anthonette's disappearance. I'd really like to see someone new start at the beginning and work this case hard. After all these years passing, someone might be willing to speak up if the right questions are asked.

http://krqe.com/2017/05/25/fbi-seeking-information-about-decades-old-missing-child-case/

FBI seeking information about decades-old missing child case

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – It’s National Missing Children’s Day, and the FBI in Albuquerque is looking for information about a case more than three decades old. Authorities say 9-year-old Anthonette Cayedito was last seen insider her family’s home in Gallup in April of 1986. Today, shew would be 36 years old.

Officials say Missing Children’s Day serves as a reminder to continue efforts to reunite missing children with their families. They’re asking anyone with information on Anthonette or any missing children to contact the FBI.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/anthonette-christine-cayedito

Remarks: Cayedito is of Navajo and Italian descent. At the time of her disappearance, she wore glasses. She was known to wear a silver chain with a small turquoise cross pendant.

QDvWPpX.gif

I wonder why they think she was killed? Do they think she was immediately killed, or do they think it was later? I always thought that it probably was her on the telephone when the mother received the call from Albuquerque, but that the little girl probably wouldn't have survived long after that.

The sighting in the restaurant was intriguing, but I'm not convinced the girl was Anthonette. She wrote "Help Me" (or something similar) on a napkin, but why not write her name, or her phone number, or something to give the waitress a clue. I think that A) it was a kid messing with the waitress or B) it was unrelated to Anthonette's case.

The sighting in the restaurant was not Anthonette. I am 100% certain. All you need to do is put yourself in Anthonette's shoes. For one thing, even if she was abducted recently, if it was her, she would never have written "help me". Anthonette would ahve provided more clues, as to who she was. It would ahve likely said "I am Anthonette Cayedito. I am being kidnapped. Please phone 911." However, ti was 4 years later, and by that period of time, she would ahve been brainwashed, grew complacent, or just did not want to be found. The vast majority of these "sightings" after such a long time are usually an overzealous worker who had read up on the case, phoning into the Police, despite having no idea who the child was. Or most likely, it could have been a mentally ill worker, who just basked in the publicity. I've taken Criminology and cases like this almost always bring shady and unstable people out of the woodwork.

As for the 911 call from Albuquerque, it was not made by Anthonette. It's one year later, and let's say it was Anthonette, hypothetically. The girl would have phoned 911 as anyone (even a 10 year old girl) would ahve realized the magnitude of the situation. She would have let the dispatcher know she was being held captive and said she was from Santa Fe, and needed help. Why would she repeat her name over again without giving any kind of meaningful details. It's more likely a prank.

From reading up on the actual facts of the case, I'm 99% convinced her mother was paid off (through money or drugs), to arrange a illegal marriage to a much older man, who was possibly a child molester, and taken to Mexico somehow. It's sad but everything points in the direction of the mother knowing, lying, and having a hard drug addiction.

The sighting in the restaurant was not Anthonette. I am 100% certain. All you need to do is put yourself in Anthonette's shoes. For one thing, even if she was abducted recently, if it was her, she would never have written "help me". Anthonette would ahve provided more clues, as to who she was. It would ahve likely said "I am Anthonette Cayedito. I am being kidnapped. Please phone 911." However, ti was 4 years later, and by that period of time, she would ahve been brainwashed, grew complacent, or just did not want to be found. The vast majority of these "sightings" after such a long time are usually an overzealous worker who had read up on the case, phoning into the Police, despite having no idea who the child was. Or most likely, it could have been a mentally ill worker, who just basked in the publicity. I've taken Criminology and cases like this almost always bring shady and unstable people out of the woodwork.

As for the 911 call from Albuquerque, it was not made by Anthonette. It's one year later, and let's say it was Anthonette, hypothetically. The girl would have phoned 911 as anyone (even a 10 year old girl) would ahve realized the magnitude of the situation. She would have let the dispatcher know she was being held captive and said she was from Santa Fe, and needed help. Why would she repeat her name over again without giving any kind of meaningful details. It's more likely a prank.

From reading up on the actual facts of the case, I'm 99% convinced her mother was paid off (through money or drugs), to arrange a illegal marriage to a much older man, who was possibly a child molester, and taken to Mexico somehow. It's sad but everything points in the direction of the mother knowing, lying, and having a hard drug addiction.

Sorry...Gallup.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back