NM NM - Anthonette Cayedito, 9, Gallup, 6 Apr1986

Have you seen this child?

NCMC600709e1.jpg

Updated Age progression for Anthonette who would be 43 today

As per the Rules - Etiquette & Information page: "Websleuths does not condone members becoming personally involved in cases by initiating contact with family members, law enforcement, or the media."

I believe everyone on here genuinely wants to help, and of course we're all free to use our time as we will. But I think we need to balance our desire and freedom with the proper respect for others' privacy.

I agree 100% with Wendy's response, even as I wish 100% that she might feel differently.
I completely agree. No need to contact family members. It just prolongs their agony. Additionally, isn't there laws against publishing private correspondence between two individuals, without their permission?. The person responsible for attempting to contact family members may want to proceed with caution in future.

Also, I just noticed this morning that, last year, someone on Anthonette's UM page suggested "Apache Junction Jane Doe" as a possible match. (AJJD has a WS thread.)

AJJD was found in August 1992 in Apache Junction, AZ near Highway 60, which is less than a 5-hour drive from Gallup. She was estimated to be "somewhere around 16 years old," just like Anthonette would've been that year.

According to recent DNA testing, as indicated on post #36 of AJJD's WS thread, "AJJD is thought to be of mixed race, with possibly one parent who is Hispanic with Mexican ancestry, and the other who is African American with roots in Virginia." Although Anthonette's father is said to be "of Italian and Hispanic descent," DNA testing does also include "Mexico, and the Southwest United States (AZ, CA, TX, NM)."

But on top of that, I think there's a physical resemblance between the age-progression photo of Anthonette and the recon of AJJD (side-by-side below). Keep in mind that Anthonette was 9 when she disappeared, so her body and face were still changing. AJJD is also said to have not had good dental care, as she protruding teeth, which is possible if Anthonette's young teeth hadn't been cared for.

What do you think?

I think the pictures look very similar. Especially the teeth. I always live in hope that she will be found.

Anthonette Christine Cayedito – The Charley Project

Last updated December 17, 2020; distinguishing characteristics and clothing/jewelry description updated.

• Clothing/Jewelry Description A knee-length pink nightgown and possibly a silver chain with a small cross-shaped turquoise pendant.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Biracial (Caucasian/Native American) female. Black hair, brown eyes. Anthonette has dark-colored moles on her right cheek, nose, back, both hands and on her right knee. She has scars on one of her knees and on her lip. Her ears are pierced. Some agencies give her name as "Antoinette." Anthonette is of Navajo and Italian descent. She wears eyeglasses.

FBI Seeks Public's Assistance in Homicide and Missing Person Investigations in Navajo Nation — FBI

FBI Seeks Public's Assistance in Homicide and Missing Person Investigations in Navajo Nation

The FBI has published more than a dozen posters in the Navajo language to request the public’s help with homicide and missing-person investigations on or near the Navajo Nation.

The 13 posters include photographs, incident details, physical descriptions, and in many cases, rewards.

"The goal of our partnership with the Navajo Nation is to help them make their communities safer," said James Langenberg, special agent in charge of the Albuquerque FBI Division. "The FBI has made it a priority to translate as many posters as possible into the Navajo language so we can solve these cases and provide justice for the victims and their families."

ANTHONETTE CHRISTINE CAYEDITO — FBI

rjsXtY5.png

Anthonette's FBI poster translated into Navajo.

This is one of the cases that sticks most with me. Over the years my belief of what happened to her changed as I read more stories of missing children. Additional details also came to light that completely changed what I thought. I wish police could go back and revisit the people involved that night and investigate this in a totally different direction, but Anthonette's mother is deceased and her sisters were too little to be relied on, IMO. I don't believe we know of anyone else who was there other than "uncle Joe" and I think most of us don't believe it was him. However, if Anthonette disappeared in a way different from what her mother and sisters described, more people might have information and be willing to speak after all this time. I am convinced someone besides her supposed abductor knows the truth.
I get so excited every time someone posts to this thread, hoping there is an update. I KNOW the truth can be found.

This is one of the cases that sticks most with me. Over the years my belief of what happened to her changed as I read more stories of missing children. Additional details also came to light that completely changed what I thought. I wish police could go back and revisit the people involved that night and investigate this in a totally different direction, but Anthonette's mother is deceased and her sisters were too little to be relied on, IMO. I don't believe we know of anyone else who was there other than "uncle Joe" and I think most of us don't believe it was him. However, if Anthonette disappeared in a way different from what her mother and sisters described, more people might have information and be willing to speak after all this time. I am convinced someone besides her supposed abductor knows the truth.
I get so excited every time someone posts to this thread, hoping there is an update. I KNOW the truth can be found.

hm.. what do you mean “disappeared in a different way” do you think her mother might have known something??

I’m on board with you, while reading over some posts I did get that eerie feeling... someone knows something and hopefully they speak up. Was any of her family considered suspects by police?

They interviewed uncle Joe and cleared him, I believe. Other than that I don't think anyone was considered a suspect.

From the start, I always thought the phonecall was fake. It sounded too scripted to me. I think it was either a sick prank or something more nefarious, related to Anthonette's mother. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think Anthonette’s mom sold her. By all accounts Anthonette was a second mom to her little sisters. She cooked, cleaned, and babysat. If mom was going to sell one of her kids for drug money or whatever, I think it would have been one of the younger girls.

What if they grabbed the wrong girl?

FBI Marks 35th Anniversary of Gallup Girl's Disappearance with Request for Public's Help | Federal Bureau of Investigation

The FBI is renewing its request for the public’s help in finding Anthonette Cayedito on the 35th anniversary of her disappearance in Gallup, New Mexico, when she was nine years old.

Cayedito, who is of Navajo and Italian descent, was last seen inside her family’s residence on April 6, 1986.

“The FBI and our partners have checked out numerous tips as we continue to investigate this disappearance,” said acting Special Agent in Charge Eric S. Brown, Sr., of the Albuquerque FBI Division. “We are asking anyone who might have information about this case to come forward now and help us find Anthonette.”

The FBI is investigating this case with the Gallup Police Department and Navajo Nation Division of Public Safety

FBI posters in English and Navajo with an age-progressed photo of Cayedito can be found at: ANTHONETTE CHRISTINE CAYEDITO | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call the FBI (24 hours) at 505-889-1300, or go online, tips.fbi.gov.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back