NM - Diana McGrory, 2, found dead, Albuquerque, 1 Oct 2021 *father arrested*

SunnyTurtle

Reaction score
APD Arrests Father in Connection to Death of 2-year-old Daughter
Police responded to the Meadowbrook Mobile Home Park Friday around 3 p.m. in response to a call and found the body McGrory [sic] in one of the homes. Officials say following the investigation, APD's Crimes Against Children Unit arrested Garcia and charged him with child abuse resulting in death.

(Apologies for going over 10%—the article only has six sentences.)

Thanks do much for starting this thread @SunnyTurtle I found this yesterday but didn’t have a name to go with it. I just know the forthcoming details are going to be tough to read. Oh, I just found some details. *omg, how did this person win custody?

Gallegos said police responded around 3 p.m. to Meadowbrook Mobile Home Park in the 7400 block of San Pedro, north of San Antonio.

He said officers found a child dead at a mobile home and detectives were called to start an investigation.
APD investigates 'suspicious' child death in NE ABQ

Court records show Garcia petitioned for custody of Diana and the other three children within a month of being indicted in 2017 for allegedly physically abusing their mother, Nancy McGrory, for several days in their home. That case was eventually dismissed.

Before his arrest Friday, Garcia told police he had just won custody of the children from McGrory.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit filed in Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court:

Police responded around 2 p.m. to Garcia’s mobile home in the 7400 block of San Pedro NE, north of San Antonio, after paramedics were unable to revive the child. The 2-year-old appeared emaciated and had “visible bruising” to the majority of her body as well as burns to her back thigh and hands. Garcia’s mother and his other three children were also at the home.

In front of police, a distraught Garcia repeatedly said “I (expletive) up, you’re not going to forgive me” for several minutes. He also said “why did you do something, the boys were just fighting” as he held his face in his hands.

Garcia told police the bruises came from the child hitting her head against the wall and the burn was from “a stove or pot of water.” Garcia said both Diana and her 4-year-old brother try to hurt themselves but he did not elaborate. Garcia told police he was “frustrated” because he had just won custody of Diana and believed “he could have saved her” if it he had gotten custody sooner.

An autopsy found, along with the burns and bruising, there was a potential bleed inside Diana’s skull.

A neighbor told police he heard Garcia yelling inside the home on multiple occasions and believed he had “anger issues.” Garcia’s mother told police her son found Diana unresponsive after she came home from work and tried to do CPR.

She told police her son does not work and stays home to care for the kids. Garcia’s mother said Diana had facial bruises for sometime and did not remember when they happened.

She told police Garcia was recently giving Diana a bath and over the phone she heard a “boom” and Garcia said Diana had “thrown herself down” in the tub. Garcia’s mother said on Sept. 27 Garcia told her Diana was following him in the kitchen when she got burned by a hot pan, but neither of them took her to get medical attention.

Garcia’s 5-year-old son told police both his father and grandmother spank the children with a belt on their hands and butt and Garcia “gets so mad” when he spanks them.
Father arrested in death of 2-year-old

images

cliparts.zone

I knew the details wouldn’t be good, but reading them is still sickening. He thought he could have saved her if he got custody of her sooner? How?! By hitting her and her siblings with a belt?! Her poor siblings… I hope they are somewhere safe now, where they are loved and well cared for, and that they are able to heal.

Thanks do much for starting this thread @SunnyTurtle I found this yesterday but didn’t have a name to go with it.
You’re most welcome. I also heard about it before Diana’s name was released, and I was afraid I’d lose track of the case without any names or many details. Fortunately, I got a news alert after the arrest was made!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01
Back