Identified! NM - Gallup, WhtFem 489UFNM, Dec'75 - Candace Starr

Meyhana- Agreed! I always feel like if it's even slightly close it's probably already been turned in and ruled out. What a shame- that poor girl.

I think these are both good possible matches for the UID in New Mexico.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/700dfca.html

I was just going to post this!

she had WEBBED TOES!:

Candace Lynn Starr
Missing since September 21, 1975 from Granada Hills, Los Angeles County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 26, 1959
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 125-149 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown/auburnish wavy/curly hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: At the time of her disappearance she had a pierced nose. She has a scar on her forehead, and a scar on her chin.
2nd and 3rd toes on both feet were webbed. AKA: Candy
Dentals: Not available Family says she had very good teeth DNA: Available

has LE looked at her yet?

I don't know, the UID's 1st and 2nd toes were webbed on right foot only, and had expensive dental work done. If this UID was Candace, there should be x-rays if she's had lots of dental work done.

I don't know, the UID's 1st and 2nd toes were webbed on right foot only, and had expensive dental work done. If this UID was Candace, there should be x-rays if she's had lots of dental work done.

but what are the chances of a girl with webbed toes going missing, and then a girl with webbed toes found a few months later in the next state over, all other factors a match? seems like too much of a coincidence to me...

also, the person who reported her missing could have been mistaken about which toes were webbed.

also, doctors are only required to keep dental records for 7 years (I learned this the hard way when I need details from my file on some dental work done on me 10 years ago). just because the records are not available does not mean that she did not have work done.

I still think it's too big a coincidence...but you do make some good points and you just never know. It definitely wouldn't hurt to send it in!

should I call this in?

what do you guys say when you call something in? how do you start that conversation?

Hi. I'm a long-time lurker on the boards, and I often do superficial internet research right along with the rest of you. In researching this case, I came up with the same possible match that you did, future criminologist. I understood there was a family web page about the search for Candy, but when I searched I couldn't find anything. I used internet archive and found an old site from 2003 that has since been removed. Here is the text:

FBI # 2740314900307
LAPD DR No. 03-17 1983 Inv. Div. RHD - CCHU
NCMEC Case# 965463

The Story:

In September of 1975, my wife's sister, Candace L Starr (Candy) was kidnapped at gunpoint by her estranged ex-boyfriend, Michael Singh of Culver City, Ca., from their parents' home, located in Granada Hills, CA. A police report was taken by uniformed officers from the Devonshire Division, LAPD. Nothing was ever heard since.

A recent records search by ourselves, revealed nothing, and there is no evidence of any police report. I recently tried to follow up with a call to the Devonshire Division in North Hollywood, and a detective instructed us to contact the Record Archives, where files are sent after 3 years. The lady I spoke to there researched it, and was not able to find any existing records.

We were told that we could not file a missing persons report now, because the incident happened so long ago. At the time of the incident, the family didn't know it was necessary to file a missing person report because officers responded to the call and supposedly a report had been taken.

We cannot afford to hire a P.I. My wife has spent wasted money on people search websites. I have tried SS letter-forwarding already. A search of the death index yielded nothing.

In light of the recent events of the WTC attacks, and the Chandra Levy, Elizabeth Smart, Laci Peterson and the many that don't make the national headlines, this has caused a resurgence of the hurt and pain felt by my wife's family. Candy was not only my wife's sister, but also her best friend. And my wife still uses her maiden name of Starr, just in case Candy does try to contact her.

Their father passed away about 20 years ago, not ever knowing what happened to Candy. Her mom lives with us, and her health is deteriorating.

The entire family are having those feelings of anger and frustration resurface in the light of the high publicity of all the missing persons cases recently, and because of the apparent lack of concern by the authorities during the initial incident. And that Michael Singh's actions terorizing the sisters.

Please feel free to contact us at anytime. In the interest of Privacy, only an email will be provided for contact purposes.

Robert M Brady or Shari Starr
rmbrady@earthlink.net
(661) 266-2685

My questions are, in light of the unidentified girl in New Mexico: did Michael Singh own or have access to a van matching the description? Did anyone notice him gone for extended periods of time between the date that Candy went missing and the date the unidentified girl was murdered? The way the scenario played out according to what the witnesses describe, it sounds like the girl was an unwilling traveling companion of her murderer. Maybe she was a kidnap victim, managed to get her captor's gun away from him and placed it on the counter hoping that the witnesses all around would help her.

The defunct site for Candy did have some info relating the famous "orange socks" case - Candy was ruled out as the victim in that case. There was no mention of any other case, so maybe they've never considered the New Mexico case.

Stella

I wonder if the email address for him is still valid? MAybe one of us should send him an email and ask for more info or just pass on info about the NM case?

Good find Stellameredith. A physical description of the boyfriend would be most helpful. Has anyone seen a description of him anywhere?

Agree, a physical description of the boyfriend would help, as the perp in this case was described as a possible Mexican or PR National...which I guess dosn't mean that he was her boyfriend or anything, it could still be her. So we have a general match, webbed toes, and a woman taken by gunpoint by a boyfriend. It could work.....

I would be interested to know what happened. I hope that whoever has the facts contacts all the agencies and websites that have her info posted.

There is a thread in the "Missing But Not Forgotten" that indicates Candace Starr was found deceased... I hope I have linked this correctly.

CA-Candace Starr-(16) Granada Hills, 1975 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

From charleyproject site listed under resolved:

http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved.html

Candace Lynn Starr
starr_candace.jpg

Starr, 16, was abducted from her Grenada Hills, California residence on September 21, 1975. Her remains were found in a wooded area in 2003, but they were not identified until June 2009.

Wow, I really wish there was more they could give us regarding the details of her being found.

RIP Candace. I hope her family can have a little peace now that they know what happened to her.Even though knowing that your loved one is dead is horrible, it is better than never finding out and never being able to bring her home.

It's maddening how many cases like this are out there and yet so few details exist. There were witnesses so where's the composite drawings of the man, the van, the young woman? Did they have accents? The license plate? Where's the gun? DNA? (he grabbed her hair, surely she scratched him or tried fighting). Gallup is not close to the Mexican border but that doesn't mean he did not head that way. In what direction did he take off? Grrrrr

Based on remarks made by sharistarr elsewhere in Websleuths, it would seem that the Gallup Jane Doe and Candace Starr are in fact one and the same person:

“My sister's case has been solved. Sad to say, she was murdered three months after she was kidnapped, December 12, 1975. Her kidnapper... shot her in the back of the head at Thrifty Sevice Station in Gallup, New Mexico.... Due to mitochondrial DNA comparison, on June 4, 2009, she was given her name back.....”

I extend somber congratulations to future criminologist, stellameredith, and any others who rightly perceived that Jane Doe might be Candace Starr. I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say I hope her killer is brought to justice soon, whether in this lifetime or in eternity, and I pray grace and peace for the family of Candace Starr.

Oh this is terrific!!! I mean, that this UID has a name and an identity, not what happened to her. This cause really really bugged the stuffing out of me because of the sheer ugliness of it. May Candace's family finally find peace that their loved one has been found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back