GUILTY NM - Sasha Marie Krause, 27, murdered, Farmington, 18 Jan 2020 *arrests*

I recall when MG was convicted that a spokesperson said the AF would begin proceedings to discharge him. Perhaps this has added to the delay for the state to sentence him.

Airman convicted of kidnapping, killing Mennonite teacher

10/13/21

During his trial, half the courtroom was filled at times with Krause's parents and others who shared in the conservative Christian faith, including the general manager of the Farmington publishing ministry where Krause worked. Paul Kaufman said Wednesday his heart goes out to both families, and the community doesn't want to be vindictive toward Gooch.

“We desire his complete repentance, that he would turn from darkness to light,” Kaufman said.

Gooch, 22, faces up to life in prison at his sentencing, set for Nov. 24. Coconino County Attorney William Ring said his office will seek swift justice and thanked the jury for its service.

[..]

Jurors heard 10 days of testimony from those who knew Krause and investigated her disappearance. They heard from ballistics experts who disagreed on whether the bullet taken from her skull was fired from a .22-caliber rifle Gooch owned. They heard from Gooch's father, Jim, but they did not hear from the defendant.

Gooch showed no emotion when the verdict was announced. He stood in a military stance, with one hand resting over the other behind his back. As he left the courtroom, he looked at two family members who sat behind him. They declined to comment.

Coconino County Superior Court Judge Cathleen Brown Nichols separately convicted Gooch of a misdemeanor charge of theft, related to Krause's belongings.

Gooch's attorney, Bruce Griffen, tried to raise reasonable doubt among the jury by pointing to a lack of forensic evidence and to testimony about another car seen in the Mennonite community the day Krause went missing. He said Gooch was peaceful and volunteered information to a detective who interviewed him at Luke Air Force Base in metropolitan Phoenix, where he was stationed.

[..]

Sean Clements, a spokesman for the air base, said proceedings would begin soon to discharge Gooch from the Air Force following his conviction.

Jim Gooch testified that his son left the Mennonite faith and joined the military because he lacked a converted heart — words that prosecutor Ammon Barker drew on during closing arguments.

Since the 10/13/21 verdict, it appears the defense has filed several motions pre-sentencing including a pre-sentencing report but no actual sentencing date in this public access summary:

Case Activity
Date Description Party
11/23/2021 REPORT: RULE 26.5 EXAM REPORT D 1
11/19/2021 REPORT: Confidential Criminal History D 1
11/19/2021 REPORT: Presentence Report D 1
11/19/2021 REPORT: Confidential Criminal History D 1
11/19/2021 REPORT: Presentence Report D 1
11/19/2021 ORDER: PROPOSED ORDER D 1
11/12/2021 NOTICE: OF FILING P 1
11/12/2021 NOTICE: OF FILING D 1
11/10/2021 MOTION: RULE 26.5 EVALUATION D 1
11/10/2021 ORDER: PROPOSED ORDER D 1
11/10/2021 ORDER: Order D 1
11/10/2021 ORDER: Order D 1
10/21/2021 JURY: VOIR DIRE QUESTIONS D 1
10/21/2021 ORDER: Granting D 1
10/21/2021 ORDER: Granting D 1
10/21/2021 JURY: VOIR DIRE QUESTIONS D 1
10/18/2021 ORDER: PROPOSED ORDER D 1
10/18/2021 ORDER: PROPOSED ORDER D 1
10/13/2021 VERDICT: GUILTY D 1
10/13/2021 ORDER: COMMITMENT (INCARCERATION) D 1

Public Access Case Lookup

There is a site on Fbook called Justice for Sasha and from that , it appears a hearing was scheduled but it never came to pass. Nobody knows what the new date is or why the delay but at this stage, it appears the delay is until the new year. KG

Thank you so much!

Airman sentenced in Arizona in Mennonite woman's death | 12news.com

Jan 19, 2022

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Mark Gooch, an Air Force airman convicted of kidnapping and killing a Mennonite woman, was sentenced to natural life in prison Wednesday afternoon in an Arizona courtroom. That means he has no chance at parole.

Sasha Krause, 27, disappeared from a Mennonite community in northwestern New Mexico in January 2020. Her body was found more than a month later in a forest clearing outside Flagstaff.

She had been shot in the head. The two didn't know each other but both grew up in Mennonite communities — Krause in Texas and Gooch in Wisconsin.

Gooch was sentenced to another five years for the kidnapping charge. It will run consecutively with the natural life sentence for murder.

Coconino County Superior Court Judge Cathleen Brown Nichols during the proceeding called this case "the most senseless case" she's presided over.

Time and time again, I tune in for sentencing thinking that there will be a sense of relief that the killer is put away and family and friends can move forward but it never happens. I feel no relief, just sadness that this vibrant, loving young woman of only 27 years was viciously abducted and murdered by a 20- year old man with no prior criminal history, no violations of any sort. I'm sorry for his parents and family as well. I agree with Judge Nichols, this is the most senseless case I've ever followed. :(

Airman sentenced in Arizona in Mennonite woman's death | 12news.com

Jan 19, 2022

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Mark Gooch, an Air Force airman convicted of kidnapping and killing a Mennonite woman, was sentenced to natural life in prison Wednesday afternoon in an Arizona courtroom. That means he has no chance at parole.

Sasha Krause, 27, disappeared from a Mennonite community in northwestern New Mexico in January 2020. Her body was found more than a month later in a forest clearing outside Flagstaff.

She had been shot in the head. The two didn't know each other but both grew up in Mennonite communities — Krause in Texas and Gooch in Wisconsin.

Gooch was sentenced to another five years for the kidnapping charge. It will run consecutively with the natural life sentence for murder.

Coconino County Superior Court Judge Cathleen Brown Nichols during the proceeding called this case "the most senseless case" she's presided over.
Good, he'll die in prison and then rot in his cell for the final five years. I know that's not how it works but I wish... Moo.

The disturbing case is the subject of Monday's episode of People Magazine Investigates. Titled "The Grudge," the episode airs August 1 at 9 p.m. ET on Investigation Discovery and also streams on discovery+.

Five weeks after her mysterious disappearance and 300 miles away from her secluded Mennonite community, the San Juan County Sheriff's Office found Krause's lifeless body in Flagstaff, Ariz.
Authorities discovered her corpse dumped next to a camper — her wrists bound with duct tape — near Sunset Crater National Monument.

Investigators figured out how she died, but they were still stuck trying to piece together who killed her — and why?

Over 100 miles away in Glendale, Ariz., someone was keeping a sinister secret.

Good, he'll die in prison and then rot in his cell for the final five years. I know that's not how it works but I wish... Moo.
What I can't work out is why there has not been a proforma trial in NM on the kidnapping charge. It's a simple situation - there was a kidnapping in NM prior to the interstate murder and the kidnapper is known but he has not been prosecuted in that state. Perhaps it is a money saving exercise/lack of action.
KG

What I can't work out is why there has not been a proforma trial in NM on the kidnapping charge. It's a simple situation - there was a kidnapping in NM prior to the interstate murder and the kidnapper is known but he has not been prosecuted in that state. Perhaps it is a money saving exercise/lack of action.
KG

He's in prison in Arizona for life, as I understand the situation.

Does seem to be a sound financial decision to skip prosecuting the kidnapping in New Mexico imho.

Consider the time for attorney's to prep the case $$$, likelihood that the perp qualifies for a public defender now $$$, the cost for the deputies & experts to be available for court $$$, the cost of seating a jury $$$, the cost of transporting the murderer to trail in New Mexico $$$. Saving the taxpayers a considerable amount, it seems.

I do wonder if kidnapping charges could be filed, and just held waiting? In case of a successful appeal of the murder charges?

jmho ymmv lrr

What a tragic ending for such a sweet, innocent girl!!! :(

I saw this case last night on ID- she was so sweet and innocent- to be murdered because the murderer hates Menonites ( he is one)-- just so bizarre and as the judge said-- just so senseless. LE finally got it together and once they did they identified the perp and got him
into custody rather quickly. It is the kind of case that one cannot easily forget.

The disturbing case is the subject of Monday's episode of People Magazine Investigates. Titled "The Grudge," the episode airs August 1 at 9 p.m. ET on Investigation Discovery and also streams on discovery+.

Five weeks after her mysterious disappearance and 300 miles away from her secluded Mennonite community, the San Juan County Sheriff's Office found Krause's lifeless body in Flagstaff, Ariz.
Authorities discovered her corpse dumped next to a camper — her wrists bound with duct tape — near Sunset Crater National Monument.

Investigators figured out how she died, but they were still stuck trying to piece together who killed her — and why?

Over 100 miles away in Glendale, Ariz., someone was keeping a sinister secret.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back