NM NM - Wagon Mound, WhtMale, 35-44, UP13854, expensive clothing, "Ropes That Rescue" hat, jacket w/ USDA Soil Conservation Service patch, Apr '15

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
The information is derived from both the NamUs profile and the copies of the ME/forensic pathologist's reports (attached below) made available by Las Desaparecidas

NamUs #UP13854

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 10.50.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-08 at 10.50.11 AM-min.pngiu.jpeg
Photo of the same model of portable AM/FM radio with digital clock found with the remains (left); Community 1st Bank of Las Vegas pen found in the UID's bag (center); Example of the USDA Soil Conservation Program patch found on the UID's jacket (right)

Demographics​

Sex: Male
Race/Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult, Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): N/A [NOTE: OMI report states he is likely between 35 and 44, possibly as young as 25]
Estimated Year of Death: 2013 - 2015
Estimated PMI: Months [NOTE: OMI report says no less than 6 months and no more than 2.5 years]
Height: Cannot Estimate [NOTE: OMI report says between 5'6" and 5'10"]
Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances​

Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: April 13, 2015
NamUs Case Created: May 14, 2015
County: Mora County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped): 35.97672, 104.81773
Found On Tribal Land: No
Circumstances of Recovery: On April 13, 2015, a hunting guide scouting location for the upcoming season came across skeletal remains scattered across the surface of the Ojo Feliz ranch in Wagon Mound, NM. The area the bones were found was described as the remote, upper end of an arroyo which drains water from the Turkey Mountains, located about half a mile away. It was a significant distance from any roadway or water source.

Initially, the remains were believed to belong to a female or young person due to the small size of the skull and certain items found at the scene, including a stick of Degree Women deodorant, mirrored compact, and shoes in a relatively small size. However, a second pathologist review concluded the remains belonged to a man.

The pathologist concluded that the man was most likely Caucasian, but noted that he exhibited several characteristics consistent with Southwest Hispanics (European & Native American admixture) and thus individuals with Hispanic or Native American ancestry should not be excluded as possible matches.

All of the clothing found was high-quality and expensive and very unlikely to have been purchased secondhand, leading investigators to discount the possibility the man was a transient. The clothes and personal items suggest the man was an experienced outdoorsman and had died sometime between late summer to early fall or early to late spring, as he did not carry any winter-weather clothing. No gear consistent with long-term camping or a serious hike -- such as a tent, axe, cooking tools, or fire starter -- were found. The gear is mostly consistent with what would be used for a short hike, although the heavy sleeping bag and canvas carpenter's bag suggest he may have also been working in the area.

Due to the condition of the remains, no cause of death could be determined, although foul play is not suspected. The left fibula was possibly broken before death in an accidental injury, which may have rendered him unable to get help, but it is also possible the break occurred postmortem as the result of animal scavenging.

Inventory of Remains: One or more limbs not recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Near or complete skeleton

Physical Description​

Hair Color: Unknown
Body Hair Description: A dark-colored hair was found on the sternum
Left Eye Color: Unknown
Right Eye Color: Unknown
Distinctive Physical Features: "Hyper-masculine" appearance, robust build with small stature, prominent nose, "beetle-browed," smaller than average cranium, and possibly had chronic allergies or other nasal/sinus problems

Clothing and Accessories​

Clothing:
- "Ropes That Rescue" hat (the program is based in Sedona, AZ and provides week-long, intensive training courses for search-
and-rescue ropes rigging)

- Jacket with patch from the Soil Conservation Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (the name of the agency was changed to the Natural Resources Conservation Service in 1994)
- Red Kühl "Kontendr" men's long-sleeved jersey shirt (first sold in June/July 2011)
- Field pants which convert to shorts, being worn as shorts at the time of discovery

Footwear:
- Merrell "Trail Glove" running shoes with Vibram soles in a relatively small size (model launched in Spring 2011)

Personal items:
- Compact mirror with clasp likely used as an emergency signaling device. The mirror was found lying open which suggests John Doe may have tried to summon help.
- Mini portable digital AM/FM radio with LCD clock (made by J.P. Products Company in 2002) which can be worn around the neck
- OD water bottle
- Shampoo bottle
- Degree Women deodorant
- Red sleeping bag, thicker than the ones typically used by backpackers
- Bottle of Flunisolide .025 nasal solution
- Solar light
- Water jug
- Chapstick
- Handheld canvas carpenter’s bag, containing socks, a Community 1st Bank of Las Vegas pen, grey t-shirt, black garbage bag, green cup, sock, nylon bag, expensive sports sunglasses, roll of twine, embossed leather belt, blue underwear, tan ball cap, shorts, green plaid jacket, and shoelaces

Attachments

• 2015-01891_AnthRpts-001-compressed.pdf
    391.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2015-01891 Dental.pdf
    787.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2015-01891_Postmortem Rpt-compressed.pdf
    212.7 KB · Views: 3
The clothing might have come from a Goodwill shop...people donate some very nice clothing to those outlets. Someone with those distinctive features ought to be easy to identify.

The clothing might have come from a Goodwill shop...people donate some very nice clothing to those outlets. Someone with those distinctive features ought to be easy to identify.
It's possible, but the pathologist noted that most of the clothes were not available for retail sale until right before the lower end of the PMI (2011-ish) and concluded it was very unlikely they would've been obtained secondhand as they would have to have been donated almost immediately after they were purchased.

My family lives in New Mexico, and decades ago we owned undeveloped land in this county.

Outdoorsman, indeed. Google tells me that about 400 people live in Mora County, maybe 300 in Wagon Mound.

Wagon Mound was a stop on the Santa Fe Trail, and if you've driven from Santa Fe to Denver on I-25, you've been there.

Was the pen from a bank in Las Vegas, New Mexico -- near Wagon Mound -- or Las Vegas, Nevada?

(If you watched Longmire -- you may recognize Las Vegas, New Mexico. The Sheriff's Office is on the square.)

So was the soil & water conservation agency missing any employees or former employees?

Was this gentleman out on the Fenn treasure hunt?

jmho ymmv lrr

My family lives in New Mexico, and decades ago we owned undeveloped land in this county.

Outdoorsman, indeed. Google tells me that about 400 people live in Mora County, maybe 300 in Wagon Mound.

Wagon Mound was a stop on the Santa Fe Trail, and if you've driven from Santa Fe to Denver on I-25, you've been there.

Was the pen from a bank in Las Vegas, New Mexico -- near Wagon Mound -- or Las Vegas, Nevada?

(If you watched Longmire -- you may recognize Las Vegas, New Mexico. The Sheriff's Office is on the square.)

So was the soil & water conservation agency missing any employees or former employees?

jmho ymmv lrr
In the pathologists report they said that Community 1st Bank had a branch in Mora, about 1.5 hours from where John Doe was found.

I totally forgot about the Fenn treasure hunt -- that's an interesting possibility. I wonder if anyone has ever circulated John Doe's information in the treasure hunting community?

In the pathologists report they said that Community 1st Bank had a branch in Mora, about 1.5 hours from where John Doe was found.

I totally forgot about the Fenn treasure hunt -- that's an interesting possibility. I wonder if anyone has ever circulated John Doe's information in the treasure hunting community?

imho, you win The Internet today -- ought to happen ASAP.

The nice clothes, fancy radio, resources to travel, yeah.

Also suddenly wonder about abandoned vehicles, or rented horses who returned to their stable without a rider/never returned, dirty deeds by a hired 'guide', lots to ponder!

jmho ymmv lrr

Good theory! Five known deaths and it's in the right area.

"Thousands have searched but all have come up short. Some have even died trying to find it...The Santa Fe author has drawn thousands of treasure hunters to New Mexico since 2011."

Good theory! Five known deaths and it's in the right area.

"Thousands have searched but all have come up short. Some have even died trying to find it...The Santa Fe author has drawn thousands of treasure hunters to New Mexico since 2011."

Hmm, we should write a crime novel, group of 7 treasure hunters heads into the wilderness -- only 1 returns!

Between us and the Search box, we could come up with 6 remote locations, 6 causes of death, 6 means of egress by The Perp, everything we need.

People might stop giving us a hard time about our true-crime a=obsession if we made a little $$$?

jmho ymmv (when leaving a body behind) lrr (and obliterate fingerprints & footprints)

I worked for the SCS/NRCS for 23 years, in a job that required me to work outdoors, usually alone, in rural areas that were sometimes quite isolated, as is the case here.

Our agency typically was co-located with sister agencies of the state government (State Dept. of Ag) and local agencies (Conservation District, Irrigation District, etc)....meaning, that they all worked out of the same office, sat at adjacent desks, etc. I am certain that this fellow would not have been a current employee of any such agency...if he had gone missing, someone would have noticed immediately, and a search would have been launched to find him. He wouldn't have been missing long, dead or alive.

He might, conceivably, have been a former employee, or perhaps the son or grandson of an employee. A jacket with agency insignia is a garment given to employees, not to the general populace.

The possibility that that decedent may have been hunting for Fenn's treasure, or some other fabled riches, seems more plausible to me.

Are this gentleman's remains listed in NAMUS?

The case coordinator might be able to look into the Fenn treasure hunt angle?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sally43
Back