Northwest States - AK, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY - Weather Discussion

I am searching for a link now. This news is just breaking.

7.4 earthquake strikes off the coast of Alaska. There is a tsunami warning for the south Alaska and the Alaskan Peninsula, from Kennedy Entrance to Unimak Pass.

In the time it has taken me to post this, it has been upgraded to a 7.8.

U.S. Tsunami Warning Centers

Aleutian earthquake triggers tsunami warning for Sand Point, Cold Bay and Kodiak - Alaska Public Media

Current Warnings - International Tsunami Information Center

National Data Buoy Center
Ooooh I didn’t know we were allowed to post things of this sort!

I follow earthquakes, checking out Earthquakes Today latest earthquakes world-wide during the past 24 hours - complete worldwide list, map and information, Thursday, 23 July 2020: past 24 hours multiple times a day.
I’ll keep this new found knowledge in mind for when the next large(r) earthquake strikes.
What’s interesting is that just in the last 5 days there have been several quakes over a 6.0 (on the Richter scale) mall over the world, which is quite unusual for so many over a 6.0 to happen in such a short amount of time. This year has been a bit crazy in regards to quakes (and obviously other things!!!)!

I'm surprised this one hasn't been bumped recently. We're having a heat wave here in Washington and in the Pacific Northwest in general, and the cities here are not prepared for this kind of heat. My hometown is due to hit 110 tomorrow, which has NEVER happened, and my current city is due to reach 100 tomorrow as well. No one here has air conditioning, animals are dropping dead from the heat, and I am sure there are going to be heat stroke victims discovered soon, especially in my hometown (it's a retirement community, most people there are elderly). I and many others are desperately hoping for some rain and a steep drop in temperature very quickly.

In the meantime I've been putting ice cubes in my kitty's water bowl, covering up my windows with blankets, and crowding by fans...and sweating, a LOT.

The weather has been crazy hot this year, and more fires. Smoke is a constant now.

This morning, I looked outside, it looked "nice", like a cool fog. I went outside, it was like a blast furnace, with hazy, smokey air. So much for a cool fog.
2021 Western North America heat wave - Wikipedia

That was a bit of a surprise this morning, waking up to several local alerts about a tsunami. I live right on the coast, but luckily above cliffs.
The satellite images are impressive.
I really hope there was no loss of life in the worst affected areas.

Our Tsunami Advisory was cancelled about forty five minutes ago. I'm on the Olympic Peninsula at Admiralty Inlet (where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets Puget Sound).

Highest waves reported in my area were only about 1.5 feet. We see much higher waves during gales here, lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back