Norway Norway - Arne Odd Torgersen, 22, Mandal, 18 January 1955

Discussion in 'Pre-1960's Missing' started by Mrs. Badcrumble, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

A recent discovery in the Norwegian town of Mandal might end the mystery of the disappearance of Arne Odd Torgersen in 1955. 64 years after his disappearance, the 22 year old might finally have been located.

[​IMG]

Torgersen disappeared the day before he and a friend were to appear in court, charged with burglary. The friend and his family were considered POIs, even arrested, but had to be released due to the lack of evidence, and the case went cold.

In May, Kjell Norli discovered a skull while planting potatoes on his property and called the local police. However, LE concluded that the skull was "several hundreds years old" at the time, but this might have been an error on the LE's part since Norli recently discovered rubber boots containing skeletal remains in the same area where he earlier found the skull. The grave also contained a rifle, a clock, an pen, and a bottle containing an unknown substance.
    The remains have been taken to Rikshospitalet, but any results will probably take months.

[​IMG]

– I am 99% sure of it [that this is Torgersen], especially because of the rifle found with the remains. The rifle was never found and was even sought after in the media at the time. I assume the conclusion will be that these remains are those of Torgersen, says Norli.

Fant beinrester – kan stamme fra 64 år gammel forsvinningssak

2. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

The bones found in September 2019 was identified in November being those of Arne Odd Torgersen. A 64 year old mystery has come to an end.

Forsvant i 1955 - likfunn identifisert
    The human remains were identified by dental comparison to the missing man. Other collected material (which was vast) from the original investigation in the 50s were also used in the identification process, according to the local LE.

This interview with Torgersen's cousin is very touching. She's obviously relieved to finally get answers to what happened to her family member and talks about being able to bury him decently.
    I 64 år har Elin (75) lurt på hvor fetteren ble av: – Han skal få en grav

rosesfromangels and Ontario Mom like this.
  3. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Arne Odd Torgersen, 22, went missing 18 January 1955. Photo at right was a search conducted at the time which was unsuccessful.

His body has now been found and identified - 65 years after his murder.

NornIron and Ginger21 like this.