NV NV - Everlyse Cabrera, 2, North Las Vegas, 10 June 2006

Yep but apparently the one before that tested positive for marijuana. I'm just wondering how that happens (would they also be able to see if you smoked regular cigarettes?). Well, see my other post on that. lol

They can tell by blood tests if you're exposed to smoke (insurance companies use it during the medical exams to qualify for life insurance) but the test of which I'm thinking is most likely not specific to cigarettes. I don't know if there is a specific test for that. Does anyone know the answer to that?

That baby was put in the care of those foster parents. Why don't they have to answer questions? If I lived in the same town as them I would make their lives hell if I was related to this baby. I would just make sure that I stayed so many feet away from them but everytime they went outside...there I would be. I would read the laws to make sure I couldn't get into trouble but they would know I was there. I would follow them around too!

I believe that they did something to that baby. Probably that older son who came home because he was having "problems." Maybe her crying got on his nerves if he was having mental health problems. Either him or the younger boy who was 14 I believe.

This baby deserves justice. Bless her parents for trying to do right by her now. I see they got their little boy back.

Thanks for the update Gmommy. A couple of pieces from the article you posted:

... Olivas refuses to give up hope and will not believe that Everlyse is dead. In fact, she is taking money from an insurance settlement over this case and offering a new reward.

"Me and Everlyse's father, we are offering a $50,000 reward for anyone that may help us find her and $20,000 for any information...

Also, the biological parents set up a MySpace page for Everlyse ... here is the direct link:

www.myspace.com/angels4everlyse

Everlyse looks so much like her mom. My heart breaks for her and the dad. They really seem to adore their children.

Here's another article from April 2007 that was linked to Gmommy's article:

Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - Foster Parents Can Remain ...

"A judge told the foster parents Monday they will not have to answer any questions about the disappearence of two-year-old girl...

During recent civil depositions, Manny and Vhee Carrascal pleaded the Fifth Amendment to the bulk of questions posed by attorneys for the Cabrera family..."

Part of the 5th as described at wikpedia.com ... The Fifth Amendment protects witnesses from being forced to incriminate themselves. To "plead the Fifth" or to "take the Fifth" is a refusal to answer a question because the response could form self incriminating evidence.

So if they did nothing to this little girl, how could their answers incriminate them?

Well that sure proves to me that they had something to do with that baby's disappearance. If they are innocent....speak up and answer those questions.
It is just terrible that they don't have to answer. Can't LE do something?

IIRC, they pleaded the 5th during a deposition. You can't plead the 5th during ordinary police questioning, can you? If not, why can't they just grill these people? Unless they have to no avail?

I don't think anyone should be allowed to plead the fifth. When they do that you know that they are hiding something. There has to be a way to get all four of those family members to talk. I can only imagine how frustrated and angry the little girl's parents must feel. I have followed this case from the beginning and I know those people know what happened to her.

The little one disappeared after the older son came home to live. I wonder if he ever goes to bars or out. Maybe someone should find out what he does for recreation and pay him a visit. To bad those people don't live in redneck country. There is always a way to get someone to talk if LE isn't getting anywhere with them.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=7495806&nav=menu102_2

13 Dec 07

The parents of missing three-year-old Everlyse Cabrera have surrendered their rights to her siblings.

The state had moved to have the parental rights of Marlena Alivas and Ernesto Cabrera terminated.
Prosecutors claim the two are unfit parents.

Rather than let the court decide whether Olivas and Cabrera would ever get their kids back, the couple agreed to an open adoption with a foster family.

more at link

Geez, this is such a sad story all the way around. Thanks for the update, HF.

More recent info:

Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - Private Investigator Hired...

The search for a missing three-year-old will get some new resources. A judge has authorized the hiring of a private investigator to find Everlyse Cabrera...

Dara Goldsmith, (Everlyse's court appointed guardian ad-litem), filed a motion in federal court to hire Private Investigator David Groover...

A judge authorized Goldsmith to use a portion of a legal settlement to hire Groover. The funds, $300,000, have been deposited with the court paid by the foster family's insurance company.

The court has not yet decided how to divvy up the bulk of those funds...

Groover told the I-Team he has not yet begun to investigate but plans to start soon...

Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - I-Team: Clark County Will ...

Clark County will no longer provide insurance to its foster parents. The county's carrier dropped it following a six-figure civil settlement.

Last week, local foster parents got a letter telling them the liability and property damage insurance provided by the county would end this Friday. The insurance company, United National dropped it, citing excessive losses as the reason...

(In addition to the $300,000 paid out in the Everlyse Cabrera case, the insurance carrier) currently faces at least 15 lawsuits.

DFS director Tom Morton says he's exploring whether the county may be able to self-fund insurance.

The I-Team is aware of three foster parents who have asked the county to remove their children because of the potential liability. That's a tough decision for any foster parent to make. But one foster mom said though she is heartbroken at surrendering her foster kids, she just can't risk her family's financial security.

KSBY 6 Action News, Weather, Sports: Covering California's Central Coast | Advocacy group seeks federal intervention in Vegas...

An advocacy group wants the federal government to step in after an insurance company dropped Clark County from coverage for foster families.

The National Center for Youth Law says the lack of insurance will make a severe shortage of foster parents in the Las Vegas area even worse...

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=7495806&nav=menu102_2

13 Dec 07

The parents of missing three-year-old Everlyse Cabrera have surrendered their rights to her siblings.

The state had moved to have the parental rights of Marlena Alivas and Ernesto Cabrera terminated.
Prosecutors claim the two are unfit parents.

Rather than let the court decide whether Olivas and Cabrera would ever get their kids back, the couple agreed to an open adoption with a foster family.

more at link

Despite what their parenting skills might be, it must have been an absolutely gut wrenching decision to give two more children to the system which has already killed one of theirs. It's hard enough to decide to give up your child, and I'm sure they weren't given much choice, but I can not imagine the extra agony attached to this particular decision granted the circumstances surrounding the loss of Everlyse.

They're still awaiting DNA results but apparently they're doubtful that this is Everlyse. The reason I'm posting this article is because all of the other articles mention a man being arrested while this one says that she was found with an adult female. :waitasec:

KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTNV.com,Action News .:. Nevada police await Wisconsin...

... The Wisconsin girl was found with an adult female and police are still trying to determine their relationship. Fleury says the child remains in the custody of child protective services while the investigation continues...

I live 80 miles North of Green Bay. WLUK Fox 11 reported this morning that Green Bay police don't believe it is her but the Las Vegas police do. Hoping for a positive outcome for someone. I can't get the link to work here but if you google search WLUK Fox 11 and click on news on their home page you can listen to the story.

Does anyone know how long until the DNA results are back? I'd hope they'd do them as quickly as possible in a case like this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back