NV NV - Henderson, 'Arroyo Grande' WhtFem 258UFNV, 14-25, Oct'80 *GRAPHIC* #2

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by mysteriew, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

Could the young woman who is buried in a "potter's" grave in the Nevada desert be Laureen Rahn, a 14-year-old Manchester girl who disappeared 25 years ago this month?

Rick Jones, an investigator for the Clark County coroner's office in Las Vegas, believes it is possible.

Last week, Jones tracked down the former Judith Rahn with his suspicion that one of the 159 "unidentified" bodies his office is trying to identify could be her missing daughter. Laureen's mother has since taken back her maiden name, Judith Swanson, and lives in Florida.

Jones was searching national databases of missing children when Laureen Rahn's photo caught his eye. The Manchester girl bore some resemblance to a young woman whose nude body had been found by a passer-by, off a desert road in Henderson, Nev., on the night of Oct. 5, 1980.

Jones said it was the 1980 Jane Doe and another unidentified young woman who inspired him to look into these kinds of cases when he first joined the coroner's office in 1998. They reminded him, he said, of his own daughter.

"I just felt like if this was my daughter missing . . . I would never stop looking. And I fully believe that these families of these missing people have never stopped looking for their loved ones."

So he now spends "every free moment" working on the "Las Vegas Unidentified" Web site. "As far as we're concerned, they may be buried, but they're never forgotten," he said. "We're never going to stop looking."

And Jones is not the only searcher.

Gerald Nance is the senior case manager for the special case unit at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Alexandria, Va. It's a unit he set up two and a half years ago.

A former homicide investigator, Nance deals now only with long-term missing and unidentified individuals; he refrains from using the term "cold cases."

"We call them special cases, because no parent wants to hear their kid's case is a cold case," he explained

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showfast.html?article=53462

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showfast.html?article=53462

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2020
    CptCari likes this.

2. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

3. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

And here is the post I was looking for, reply number #545

I even copied over the quoted parts to make it easier. All you have to do is expand the quote below.

NV - Henderson, 'Arroyo Grande' WhtFem 258UFNV, 14-25, Oct'80 *GRAPHIC*

4. sonz82

sonz82 Well-Known Member

I'm still liking theresa rains as a possible match, she looks so similar. I'm wondering about the post that says she was located? Is there any online links to this? She was just added to the doe network the other day and she's still listed missing on other databases, it's confusing.

Mireille, Finders and dotr like this.
  5. Finders

Finders Active Member

Did I read or is it my imagination that the theory is that she was a prostitute? I thought the tattoo was possibly a brand.

dotr likes this.
  6. Roselvr

I don't ever remember reading it in articles. I reposted all her articles a few weeks ago

Finders and dotr like this.
  7. LeenC

LeenC Well-Known Member

I think it’s considered a possibility, but it’s not been proved. I think there’s indeed a theory based on the tattoo being some kind of “pimp brandmark” (based on an article unrelated related to our Doe about pimps using tattoos to mark their “property”), but as far as I know it’s only speculation.

(But please correct me if I’m wrong).

dotr and Finders like this.
  8. Roselvr

You're right but I'm pretty sure that was suggested here and not in articles which I quoted at the top of this page

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    dotr, Finders and Mrs. Badcrumble like this.
  9. LeenC

LeenC Well-Known Member

Exactly, that was what I meant. I just noticed the typo in my previous message. My apologies for the confusion! I meant that I believe someone posted an article in this thread (an article that /wasn’t/ related in any way to Arroyo Grande Jane Doe) about prostitution and pimps ‘marking’ women.

dotr and Finders like this.
  10. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Well-Known Member

I was intrigued by the Jane "Golfers" Doe from one of those linked articles. I lived in Las Vegas for 24 years yet never heard of that case. She was found on the old Craig Ranch Golf Course in North Las Vegas. I played that course many times. It closed maybe a decade ago. The article doesn't indicate when Jane Golfers Doe was found, or any of the circumstances. I can't find anything else online.

dotr, Roselvr, carbuff and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Have a nice day!

Recent article:

Jane Arroyo Grande Doe

AUTOPSY:
    Upon the remains being brought in for examination, it was determined Jane Doe had died up to 24 hours before she was found, likely on October 4, 1980. As the body appeared to have been washed, it is believed she was murdered elsewhere before being dumped at the location where she was found.

There are conflicting reports as to whether or not Jane Doe was sexually assaulted. While some say there were no signs that a sexual assault occurred, others have said her body showed signs of rape.

The examination determined Jane Doe’s death was the result of a homicide. She’d suffered blunt force trauma to the back of her skull and behind her right ear, which is believed to have been done with either a roofing hammer or a framing hammer. She was also stabbed in the upper-left portion of her back seven times with a two-pronged instrument that was approximately 3″ long. These wounds are believed to have been caused by an ice pick. Her face showed signs that she’d been beating. The beating had resulted in facial injuries and three of her lower teeth had been knocked out: a canine tooth that was broken at the root tip and two bicuspids.

The attack on Jane Doe had also resulted in a gap between her upper-right central incisor and upper-right lateral incisor. While it was initially unknown whether this had occurred before her death, in 2018 investigators shared it had been the result of the trauma she’d suffered.

This case was one of the first times a coroner’s office posted postmortem photos of a victim on the internet in the hopes of getting an ID.

In June 2015, Jane Doe’s case was officially reopened, which led to another exhumation in December 2016 in the hopes of conducting isotope and additional DNA testing. Unfortunately, when investigators opened the casket, they found it filled with water, which had caused bacterial degradation to occur. Despite this, they are able to get enough DNA for the FBI to process. There have been no updates regarding the status of the isotope testing.

DETAILS:
    Jane Doe is described as white, and is estimated to have been born between 1955 and 1967. Investigators have shared she was likely between the ages of 13 to 25, with recent estimates narrowing that range to between 17 and 19 years of age. She is believed to have stood at 5’2″, although estimates have put her anywhere between 5’0″ and 5’4″, and weighed approximately 103 pounds. Her light brown-to-blonde shoulder-length hair is described as feathery in texture, and her eyes have been described as blue in colour. However, descriptions have also listed them as being green or hazel.

She wasn’t wearing any clothing when found. Her ears were pierced, and her nails were trimmed with a silver-coloured nail polish. She is described as having been a non-smoker, and the examination of the body showed the possibility that she’d fractured her jaw at one point in her life. She had a vaccine scar on her left bicep and a small birthmark on the lower-left side of her back.

One of the most notable things about Jane Doe is a 1/2″ by 1/4″ tattoo on the inner portion of her right forearm. It appears to be amateurish and homemade, and is believed to be either the letter “S” or the number “5”. It appeared to have been done not long before she was killed.

Jane Doe is not believed to have lived an impoverished life when alive, given the amount of dental care she’d received. She had fillings in six of her eight molars, and all four of her wisdom teeth were present and impacted. An eye hook ligature was found on one of her bottom teeth, most likely placed there as a spacer, indicating she’d possibly began orthodontic treatment that had never been completed, and she’d had a unique dental procedure done to straighten one of her teeth, called a “suture”. This procedure was rarely done in the early 1980s.

A piece of yellow or orange shower curtain was found near the body.

It’s appears Jane Doe was not from the Las Vegas area. Investigators have theorized she may have been travelling from either California or Arizona to the city.

This article also includes: theories, a rule out list with 32 rule outs, including:
    - Mary Frances Gregory, who went missing from Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada on February 18, 1978
    - Ellen Rouse, who went missing from Vancouver, Canada sometime in 1975/found alive fyi and
    - Mary Leah Rodermund, who went missing from Morgan City, Louisiana on March 2, 1978 and the one I still thought was a possibility) and contact information.

MadMcGoo, dotr, annemc2 and 11 others like this.
  12. LeenC

LeenC Well-Known Member

If the gap was a result of the beating, that would change a lot. Thank you for sharing thus article!

Her casket being filled with water doesn’t sound all too well. I’m surprised they managed to secure enough DNA. Perhaps, that’s why it’s all taking so long.

I don’t think I ever read such a detailed account of her injuries. It definitely sounds like overkill. Which often suggests she and her killer knew each other and had some sort of relationship. While the human trafficking theory still seems plausible to me, I’m wondering if she maybe left of her own accord with a boyfriend. If she was 17-19, got into a fight with her parents and decided to leave with her boyfriend to wherever, I doubt she would have ever been reported missing or that any police station would have taken the report back then.

This is the case that got me drawn into sleuthing Jane and John Does. I still think about her a lot. I really hope she’ll have her name back in the near future.

dotr, annemc2, rainwaterstill and 6 others like this.
  13. Bit of hope

I was the one (I don't know of any others) who questioned the gap...knowing, learning she was hit in the face, severely. I'm glad there are answers now. I agree, it was overkill, still thinking two people could have done this. She is still my baby...after all this years....I feel helpless....Suggested Rouse and Rodermund, but they were both ruled out (and that's totally ok, in the sense no doubts anymore)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    MaryG12, dotr, LeenC and 5 others like this.
  14. Fuuro

Fuuro spicy user

Like many UID cases that I've seen, I think that this was most likely some sort of domestic violence. I feel like she may have left or ran way from home to live with a person or people who ended up being abusive.

If ends up being on the older age of the estimate, it isn't too surprising that she was (most likely, in my opinion) never reported missing, as whoever killed her could have easily said that she had just run off, and nobody would really question it. I'm leaning more towards her being a teenager, though, based on the reconstructions and the crude tattoo that she had recently gotten.

On the topic of the tattoo, I've also heard people saying that the tattoo could have been a "brand" tattoo, a special type of tattoo used by pimps to mark their trafficking victims.

dotr, Roselvr, LeenC and 3 others like this.
  15. Roselvr

Thanks for finding the article.

Agree, it was either domestic violence or a woman that was extremely pissed off at Arroyo for some reason.

dotr, Fuuro and Bit of hope like this.
  16. Feme98

Feme98 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! Does anyone know if anything came up from Khymberly's possible ID as JD?

dotr likes this.
  17. Bit of hope

Oh baby girl......being very emotional at the moment....Friend died. 54 years Corona....lady-cat, bff 14 years put to sleep....Keep up strong hopes for this lovely little woman.

Coppertop15, Melt71, dotr and 3 others like this.
  18. Malene

Malene Active Member

Bit of Hope, Sorry for your loss. Wish you the best.

dotr and Bit of hope like this.
  19. Feme98

Feme98 Well-Known Member

My condolences to you, so sorry for your loss. Stay strong!

20. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

Big hug to you @Bit of hope !

dotr and Bit of hope like this.