NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else getting a creepy vibe on "Mr. Security?"

(Yep, I'm still here!) I work for the federal government, and just wanted to say that if he brought it home from work -- he stole it! (which I doubt) Nor could the government just give it it him. All outdated/surplus equipment owned by the feds must be auctioned off. Big rules about that. Doesn't rule out that he picked it up at auction, though!

My point is, without speculating on his motivation, I think his choice to outfit the exterior of his home with that level of surveillance is very deliberate.

Especially if there's more than two cameras.

I'm an ex-Fed myself....but I'm not accusing him; it just seems odd that, IF the system has only those cams, they'd have such "pieces and parts". It'd be an older system, from somewhere with lots more cameras.

I could tell stories about thievery from an Air Force base, including incidents involving the very people charged with stopping thievery: the military police.

Those are very good questions.

If you scroll through Naegle's information in the timeline file, she says somebody looked through Mr. Security's cameras and these were the only ones that showed Steven, but it doesn't say whether he or someone else could have left without being recorded. The way the street is laid out, I think the car would have been detected; the gate prevents it from leaving the other way. But people could walk that way, it looks like.

The airport almost certainly has cameras, but they would be unlikely to search them without evidence that he was there. Just too much volume. Supposedly they did check that his name wasn't on any departing passenger lists, but if he had picked up a new ID, that wouldn't detect him.

The airport is pretty small, less traffic and don't understand why LE didn't scan them for the first few days he was gone. The Big Stores allowed it with only a speculation and they would have far more traffic than that airport in the second week in December....I'd think.

I agree with not wanting the car left at the airport. If you didn't want anyone to know that's where you were, why leave the car there? Fake documents or not it wouldn't matter.

Knowing the way the residents of SCA are so persnickety about the subdivision, I'm sure they acknowledged SK's car that Sunday and started counting the days and observing it each morning until it was gone.

(Yep, I'm still here!) I work for the federal government, and just wanted to say that if he brought it home from work -- he stole it! (which I doubt) Nor could the government just give it it him. All outdated/surplus equipment owned by the feds must be auctioned off. Big rules about that. Doesn't rule out that he picked it up at auction, though!

My point is, without speculating on his motivation, I think his choice to outfit the exterior of his home with that level of surveillance is very deliberate.

Are we certain they are all exterior? Maybe he has a few within his home....if thieves do manage to get in. ?

Is it also plausible as a thought, he may be appointed "watch dog" of the subdivision and the other cameras are set up around the neighborhood and he's the only one to monitor them? He could be volunteering his service and SCA just paid for the cameras and maintenance? Only reason I can think of for 8 cameras in a home with a small lot that size.

The airport is pretty small, less traffic and don't understand why LE didn't scan them for the first few days he was gone. The Big Stores allowed it with only a speculation and they would have far more traffic than that airport in the second week in December....I'd think.

I agree with not wanting the car left at the airport. If you didn't want anyone to know that's where you were, why leave the car there? Fake documents or not it wouldn't matter.

Knowing the way the residents of SCA are so persnickety about the subdivision, I'm sure they acknowledged SK's car that Sunday and started counting the days and observing it each morning until it was gone.

Well, for starters, we don't know that LE didn't scan the airport videos. Probably not for a walkaway; there aren't any law enforcement issues involved here.

There might be TSA issues involved, as well. I can see TSA keeping the videos secret just because they can and because that's how they work.

Especially if there's more than two cameras.

I'm an ex-Fed myself....but I'm not accusing him; it just seems odd that, IF the system has only those cams, they'd have such "pieces and parts". It'd be an older system, from somewhere with lots more cameras.

I could tell stories about thievery from an Air Force base, including incidents involving the very people charged with stopping thievery: the military police.

An ex-Fed of my acquaintance, who shall remain nameless, calls it "Midnight Office Supply." He built an entire computer back in the early days with parts that just happened to fall into the cuffs of his pants...

An ex-Fed of my acquaintance, who shall remain nameless, calls it "Midnight Office Supply." He built an entire computer back in the early days with parts that just happened to fall into the cuffs of his pants...

HA! I guess I'm just naive and think everyone follows the rules! :) At my work site, we are subject to random vehicle checks as we leave the facility, and all gov't property is tagged with metal barcodes. It would be super-risky to try something like that where I work, but I guess other sites aren't as rigid!

HA! I guess I'm just naive and think everyone follows the rules! :) At my work site, we are subject to random vehicle checks as we leave the facility, and all gov't property is tagged with metal barcodes. It would be super-risky to try something like that where I work, but I guess other sites aren't as rigid!

This was 20 years ago, or more, so things have changed. But a certain kind of get-it-done mind, trained to think outside the box, sees a control system like that as a challenge to beat. There's no morality involved.

Which is not to say Mr. Security did anything like that. I suspect he's just one of those former law enforcement types who, having seen the worst side of humanity for most of his career, has now become convinced that there's no safety anywhere.

They're rigid, but "subject to" (at the base I retired from) most often meant the civilians were the targets. After all, we greatly outnumbered the military ... and we all drove in and out of the gate. Since most of the military live on-base, they could take things home without detection. (I once spotted my "missing" office fan at a friend's home on base. Her husband hadn't even bothered to take my name off of it! At least I got it back. He couldn't do a thing about me stealing it back, because I worked in his commander's office.)

The funniest case I can remember? Years ago, one of our military police actually stole an F-16 engine right out of the hangar, still on its towable stand - and was towing it off-base (using a military vehicle, through a gate he had a key to)....when he got caught.

The ones doing the investigation, or the ones who don't have to take things off-base, are the ones with the opportunities.

OT:

Years ago (25?) my husband watched our next-door neighbor's lawn irritation system shoot water straight up out of the sprinklers; some popped right off!

He went over, and the guy bragged about "red tagging" items (putting them in the system as irreparable) and then bringing them home. He'd lifted a huge, way-too-big water pump from the base.
I was so PO'd, that I went over and told him if he didn't take it back, I'd turn him in. He did. It didn't make me very popular, but I detest thieves -- especially those who prey on us taxpayers. Plus, I was in a position where I could have, at some point, have had to investigate the "inventory adjustment".
They moved, and we got a better class of neighbor.

Well, for starters, we don't know that LE didn't scan the airport videos. Probably not for a walkaway; there aren't any law enforcement issues involved here.

There might be TSA issues involved, as well. I can see TSA keeping the videos secret just because they can and because that's how they work.

It would take a search warrant to get access to TSA and/or FAA videos (which these would be). Without showing a judge that there's evidence of a crime, the judge won't sign the warrant.

The only other option would be a GJ subpoena.

I'm APPALLED anyone would point fingers at the residents of SCA ;)

Hahahahahahaha!

Not pointing fingers, per se. But I don't believe this is something we have really discussed before (hard to believe, I know). Perhaps we're overlooking the obvious???

He may be nothing more than the head of the Neighborhood Watch program there. I'm just sayin, if there are more than two cameras on that house, you gotta wonder WTH? It's not a high crime area and there's really not that much going on there. Or so it seems.

Let's face it, the video footage we've seen is pretty benign. Has it really been helpful in figuring out what happened to him? No.

Not having thoroughly looked into Mr Security...only speaking from my experience with Law enforcement officers.

It is also a possibility, as an ex US Marshall...or whatever he was. That he could easily have enemies. Depending on who he was responsible for capturing. People forget...that these people get out. They don't forget. If you put someone away for a lot of years...they may not feel they have anything to lose by seeking revenge. My Uncle just had Us Marshall's all over his house a few months ago, because a guy he put away 20 YEARS ago was released. He made a "credible threat" against my Uncle. They immediately set up security for him. He does have an alarm as well as a camera to his front and back door. So he sees who is there before he opens it.

Does Mr Security have an alarm system? That would be my first priority, then the cameras. But yes, as an FBI Agent, US Marshall, Confidential Informant, or anything else like that...I probably wouldn't mind numerous cameras around my house.

He also could just BE paranoid. He could simply have serious anxiety. Yet, have the means to do something to help calm it.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :innocent:

Are we certain they are all exterior? Maybe he has a few within his home....if thieves do manage to get in. ?

Is it also plausible as a thought, he may be appointed "watch dog" of the subdivision and the other cameras are set up around the neighborhood and he's the only one to monitor them? He could be volunteering his service and SCA just paid for the cameras and maintenance? Only reason I can think of for 8 cameras in a home with a small lot that size.

IMO the folks of SCA need to talk. Maybe they have to the PI.

I'm just wondering if Mr. Security/PI has reviewed the tapes from early Monday morning just before 7:30 to see who drove by security cameras around that time. Who knows, maybe a vehicle left the area shortly before last cell phone ping showed up near Whitney Ranch, and was caught on video. Does this make sense?

Or, who got a new car on EL shortly after that young man disappeared? Or, hey, so & so got a new area rug. I noticed the last time I had coffee with them. Or, so & so don't invite us into their home anymore. I wonder what's up with that?

I'm frustrated, but give me a break....can there really be that many people on EL, who are so self absorbed that they don't notice their surroundings, and goings-on in their own neighborhood?

I'm so hoping that someone in the SCA neighborhood will have an aha! moment, and not hesitate to call LE or the PI.

Just throwing this out there, but when I arrived at the search near the airport, and I was making eye contact with the PI he said to me, "You're one of the people on Websleuths aren't you?" I responded, "Yes." This told me that he had sleuthed me in order to be able to recognize me.

So, if he sleuthed all of us on this thread prior to the search than he must have sleuthed the residents on EL. hmmm none of the residents had a shady background to put up a red flag for him?

So, I am pointing the finger at EL! I do believe something very bad happened to SK on EL. And, I do believe that more than one person needed to be involved. Can two people keep this severe of a secret for a very long time?

This was 20 years ago, or more, so things have changed. But a certain kind of get-it-done mind, trained to think outside the box, sees a control system like that as a challenge to beat. There's no morality involved.

Which is not to say Mr. Security did anything like that. I suspect he's just one of those former law enforcement types who, having seen the worst side of humanity for most of his career, has now become convinced that there's no safety anywhere.

Look at the case now so much in the news of the family in CT. Two degenerates with a long record saw the mother and daughter grocery shopping one evening, followed them home, came back at 3 AM, held them hostage and raped the females, including an 11 year old, beat the father unmercifully with a baseball bat, made the mother go to bank and take out 15K the next morning , then set the house on fire. She had told the bank employee, the manager/supervisor called LE, but by the time they got to them they were gone, except the father who hopped up the stairs and rolled his way to the next door neighbor's garage door and was found.
Tragic story. LE is under scrutiny for the way they handled the situation. But just goes to show how random life can be. Mother and two daughters gone..forever. I think anymore there's a fine line between paranoia and being aware....unfortunately,... especially with all the fear mongers on the tube. You can't walk around being afraid all the time, but it does take the upgrading of your sensors and fine tuning those radars on the top of our heads. Anyone feel like Doctor Smith and Timmy or am I the only one Lost in Space?:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member