NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

His behavior is just appalling. I shouldn't be surprised by it after all he has previously said and done, but I still am. Sometimes I really wish that he would do something so outrageous that the police would have no choice but to arrest and charge him. Oh wait, he already has.

This story is short but wild. Trump must want to go broke!

The night before the final day of E. Jean Carroll's defamation trial against Donald Trump, the former president took aim at the writer and her legal team while griping about his Monday court appearance to a booing New Hampshire crowd.
He simply cannot stop himself--- he is a broken record

This story is short but wild. Trump must want to go broke!

The night before the final day of E. Jean Carroll's defamation trial against Donald Trump, the former president took aim at the writer and her legal team while griping about his Monday court appearance to a booing New Hampshire crowd.

I'm sure he'll just use "campaign funds" from suckers to pay whatever penalties he faces. JMO

DeSantis shared a link on social media to a Politico article headlined “Some Florida Republicans want taxpayers to pay Trump’s legal bills”, and he added the caption: “But not the Florida Republican who wields the veto pen.”

I can't find anything from my usual Twitter sources but I'm guessing the judge postponed the trial today, either due to covid being confirmed (juror or Habba) or due to the NH primary?

Donald is clearly out in NH today, but since he isn't required to be at the trial, I'm still uncertain.

Hoping to see some formal confirmation of the status of the trial.

What I find especially egregious about this trial is how this individual is blatantly disrespectful to the courtroom official - with 0 consequences. I.e., it's extremely evident that if John/Jane Q. Public (i.e., an average citizen) ever talked to a court official this way - they would be:

1) Cited with contempt of court & fined
2) Thrown out of the courtroom
3) Arrested & jailed

So, why are they letting him get away with this?! Because of fear, obviously. They don't want to challenge him because they're afraid of what he will do to them. He's treating them like punks, and they're taking it. Typical.

Last edited:
I can't find anything from my usual Twitter sources but I'm guessing the judge postponed the trial today, either due to covid being confirmed (juror or Habba) or due to the NH primary?

Donald is clearly out in NH today, but since he isn't required to be at the trial, I'm still uncertain.

Hoping to see some formal confirmation of the status of the trial.

Yesterday his attorney whispered in his ear and then advised her parents have COVID and she has a fever. Glad we're all being safe.

Yesterday his attorney whispered in his ear and then advised her parents have COVID and she has a fever. Glad we're all being safe.
Yes. I think, covid aside, since they had initially expected the trial to be over on Monday, they made a request to not have trial on NH primary day (today) and the judge said he would take that into consideration.

Plus, if either juror #3 or Habba IS positive for covid, that would also postpone the trial, although maybe with the juror they would just drop that juror and use one of their three alternates. But if it's Habba I assume a week or so postponement.

I did find a tweet referencing an order the judge gave yesterday setting the trial to resume on Weds. Which makes me think the delay is not about Habba. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Habba was seen at Trump's campaign party in NH tonight. So, she might not have covid (or just doesn't care). But this article also says a juror did test positive. I don't understand such a short delay unless they plan to continue without that juror and are just giving the extra day to make sure no OTHER jurors have caught it. JMO though.

What I find especially egregious about this trial is how this individual is blatantly disrespectful to the courtroom official - with 0 consequences. I.e., it's extremely evident that if John/Jane Q. Public (i.e., an average citizen) ever talked to a court official this way - they would be:

1) Cited with contempt of court & fined
2) Thrown out of the courtroom
3) Arrested & jailed

So, why are they letting him get away with this?! Because of fear, obviously. They don't want to challenge him because they're afraid of what he will do to them. He's treating them like punks, and they're taking it. Typical.
It is beyond sickening

I'm an idiot. I just spent a while googling. You can definitely be sued for defamation if you say something about a person's medical condition that can cause harm to their reputation etc.

I understand the law. I just don't agree with it since he's obviously doing real harm to others with his behaviors. Imho he has no incentive to learn to control himself. The defamation law plays on his side in this. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an idiot. I just spent a while googling. You can definitely be sued for defamation if you say something about a person's medical condition that can cause harm to their reputation etc.

I understand the law. I just don't agree with it since he's obviously doing real harm to others with his behaviors. Imho he has no incentive to learn to control himself. The defamation law plays on his side in this. He has a mental illness, he's hurting others in the throes of it, and we the public have no recourse.

If you google “videos about Trump’s mental health” you will see many even from 2019. I doubt they have all been sued by Trump. Defamation has to involved a false statement.

If you google “videos about Trump’s mental health” you will see many even from 2019. I doubt they have all been sued by Trump. Defamation has to involved a false statement.
Yes, lilibet, that's where the courts would have to come in. Imo the White House and MSM are terrified to be sued and could lose because I'm sure Trump has never put himself into a position of being actually diagnosed with a mental illness.

YouTube creators and tik tokers have said he's got a mental illness. I'm sure plenty of folks have made posts about it on Facebook. But what about PBS? CNN? Joe Biden or Kamala Harris? Someone whose opinion might gain some attention.

Maybe his attorneys will say he's mentally unwell as a last defense in one of his many cases.

rsbm

This thread is discussing Ms. Carroll suing Mr. Trump for defamation.
She also sued Trump for sexual abuse.
JMO

The ruling stands to streamline significantly the second trial, set for January. It concerns remarks that Trump made in 2019, after Carroll first publicly claimed that he sexually attacked her in a dressing room after a chance meeting at a luxury department store in 1996. He denies that anything happened between them.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Too true; and it is no longer just 'alleged' (defamation or sexual misconduct). It has already been determined to be founded --- just a fact that needs pointing out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back