NY - 3 people found dead in a house in Queens, ages 22, 55, & 37, stab wounds & head trauma, woman bound to bed, 24 June 2022

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
3 Found Dead, Including Woman Bound on Bed, Inside Queens Home: Police - NBC New York
Three people were found dead, including a woman who had her hands bound on a bed, inside a Queens home Friday afternoon, according to police.

A 22-year-old victim was found unconscious and unresponsive on the bed in a second-floor bedroom on 155th Street in South Jamaica just after 2 p.m., police said. She had two puncture wounds to her chest as her hands were bound together, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

[…]

After finding the first victim, two other people were discovered dead inside the home as well, police later said. A man believed to be in his 30s was found with a head injury, and a 55-year-old woman was found with multiple stab wounds to her head and neck, according to police.

I'm wondering how many of the people killed lived at the residence. Two? All 3? I am going to make a guess that the 55-year-old woman may be the mother of 22-year-old woman, and they seem to have been positively identified. I think it is more likely that they lived at the home, as there seems to be more definite information, at least released, about them than the man who appeared to be in his 30's. He may have been the boyfriend of either of the women, or both (kinky I know, but...).

To me this seems personal, and I am leaning towards the murder being done by an ex-lover of the 22-year-old, who, my first thoughts are, may have been seeing the 3oish guy....and the older woman was just collateral damage, as it was probably her house. Any thoughts?

The original article appears to be.update ... A POI has been identified, and is in custody.

That is good news! That didn't take long. Sounds like LE either had a pretty good idea who they were looking for almost immediately, or the perp was extremely careless and left prints or other identifying evidence behind. JMO

“The victims, found Friday, included a 22-year-old woman identified as Varshanna Malcom, was visiting from Jamaica, sources said.

She was discovered lying on her back in an upstairs bedroom at the 155th Street home in South Jamaica. She was tied up with electrical cord and duct tape around her wrists and had been stabbed twice in the chest and once in the neck, sources said.
[….]
One victim, 55-year-old Karlene Barnett, had multiple stab wounds to her back and blunt trauma to her head, sources said. A man found in the basement, also with stab wounds and blunt force trauma to his head, is believed to be her 36-year-old son, Dervon Brightly.

Barnett owned the home, public records show.”

Don’t know if she was visiting from Jamaica the country or just the plain old “Jamaica” section of the NYC borough Queens. Either way, seems likely (IMO) that her presence in the home might have some relation to the crime (for example, I wouldn’t be surprised if she might’ve been fleeing an abusive situation, went to stay with family or friends, and her abuser followed and murdered then all).

Snipped from the article & BBM:

The victims, found Friday, included a 22-year-old woman identified as Varshanna Malcom, was visiting from Jamaica, sources said.

She was discovered lying on her back in an upstairs bedroom at the 155th Street home in South Jamaica. She was tied up with electrical cord and duct tape around her wrists and had been stabbed twice in the chest and once in the neck, sources said.

[…]

Police then found two other bodies after they broke down the home’s locked basement door.

One victim, 55-year-old Karlene Barnett, had multiple stab wounds to her back and blunt trauma to her head, sources said. A man found in the basement, also with stab wounds and blunt force trauma to his head, is believed to be her 36-year-old son, Dervon Brightly.

From article linked above:
“A family member told police that Barnett’s boyfriend had been visiting the house recently, possibly from out of state.

Police took a person of interest into custody Friday but released him. No arrests have been made.”

Three murder victims whose bodies were left to rot for days in their Queens home were remembered Sunday as a “good” and “quiet” family who worked hard and took care of one another.

Karlene Barnett, 55, and her 36-year-old son Dervon Brightly were found stabbed to death in their house in South Jamaica Friday, along with 22-year-old Varshanna Malcolm, who friends said was Barnett’s niece.

“They were a good family,” horrified former neighbor Shaun Buchanan, 40, told The Post on Sunday.
[…]

Buchanan, the former neighbor, said he was surprised to hear Brightly still lived at home but that, “I can understand the reasoning behind it, because that’s the type of family they were — that close.”

No arrests had been announced in the brutal slayings as of Sunday.
[…]
Neighbors said they had noticed the stench and tried but failed to pinpoint the source.

“We smelled this bad smell, didn’t know where it was coming from… My husband called 311,” neighbor Mahmouda Zaman told The Post. “They came and inspected, said, ‘There is no violation. We don’t know where the smell is coming from. And they left.”

I wonder if the motive is sexual. Having two victims locked in the basement and one victim separated and tied to a bed seems to suggest that the killer may have had sexual interest in Brittany. That is only my uneducated opinion, and I'm probably way off.

On another note, it does seem suspicious that the other person who lives there hadn't been there for at least three days. They were found on a Friday, and the article says they had been dead 3 days. Where was the other person the whole week? Again, MOO.

3 people discovered stabbed to death in Queens home - CBS New York
<snipped & BBM>
As CBS2's Jessica Moore reported Monday, we're learning that two of the people may have been unintended victims.

[…]

This case has stumped police from the beginning. They originally though it was a murder-suicide, but quickly ruled that out. Over the weekend, police took a man in for questioning, thinking they may have found their suspect, but later released him, saying he had nothing to do with the three murders.

[…]

Police are working a theory that Varshanna Malcolm was the intended target, possibly murdered by a former boyfriend, and that her aunt and cousin were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back